Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

Just got back from local EZ pawn and they had a Mario Kart Wii U bundle sealed in box for $179.99. If I hadn't purchased that same bundle on release I would've snagged it. Hell of a deal

Some 360 games I got from the pawnshop with 6$ flat rate pricing.

Skyrim

Need For Speed Carbon : Collector's Edition

Forza Horizon

P85dtQY.jpg

Also picked up Castlevania on DS cart only for 5$

And stopped by a tiny local pawnshop for the first time since I saw they added video games to a couple of their signs, they actually had quite a bit ranging from NES all the way up to stuff I never see like Vita and 3DS

Was so stoked to see this.

MINT Ceramic White PS2 Slim with the matching controller which is also MINT!!! This is the one thing I really wanted, even before I started collecting, I picked it up to show my brother and the dude asked me if it had HDMI, I said nah it's a bit too old for that, before I could even ask for a price he said "20$ and it's your's." Needless to say, SOLD!

Will be visiting his pawnshop often, he said he had some NES and SNES stuff coming out soon.

K0OXutB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to a local pawn shop I tend to avoid due to ebay pricing to see if I could sneak something by them.

Got a few things.

Geist - Gamecube - 4$

Shining Tears (Disc Only) - PS2 - 4$

The Punisher (Disc Only) - Xbox - 5$

Manuals - 2$ for all

Pokemon Stadium 2

Super Mario Advance

Super Mario World Advance

Game & Watch Gallery 3

Advance Wars

They had some other cool stuff but all at ebay prices sadly.

5HiD7kJ.jpg

Went to a pawnshop with a ton of games at ebay prices and snuck a few past them.

Red Pre-Dualshock PS1 controller - 5$

Tranparent Blue Dualshock PS1 controller - 5$

GH Chrono Cross (With an extra black label disc 1) - 5$

Went to the pawnshop with 5-6$ flat rate pricing on everything usually and saw they were doing a 2 for 10 sale on PS3 and 360 games, there were always a few there marked a bit higher than the rest, so I grabbed these 2 while they were 5 a piece.

Arkham Origins - PS3

Lost Odyssey - 360 (4 Discs on 360 made me WTF)

WoxO0qE.jpg

Went to the pawnshop with 5-6$ flat rate pricing on everything usually and saw they were doing a 2 for 10 sale on PS3 and 360 games, there were always a few there marked a bit higher than the rest, so I grabbed these 2 while they were 5 a piece.

Arkham Origins - PS3
Lost Odyssey - 360 (4 Discs on 360 made me WTF)

WoxO0qE.jpg
I remember "arguing" with the guy at gamestop when I bought lost odyssey. He kept telling me it was only three discs even though I kept pointing out the box said FOUR. Luckily someone came out from the back, rechecked their stock, and gave me my 4th disc. :0

Hey I have a question to ask y'all. My pawn shop had a Japanese white 3ds. I picked it up and bought it for $70. I return it later because it doesn't play USA games. Does the eshop have the games with English language? I just don't know if to go back and pick it up. It's in perfect conditions but I don't want to be stuck playing Japanese games

Today I picked up Wario Ware Smooth Moves(wii)(complete) and The Incredible Hulk(ps3)(missing manual and case is in horrible condition, but I have extra cases). Both for $9.63 after tax.

All the local pawnshops in the area I'm visiting are pretty crappy. Poor selection of games and whatever games they do have are pretty high priced, especially compared to thrift stores like goodwills that are in the same vicinity.

This is both a "Craigslist Stupidity" and "Tales from the pawn shop" but I figure i'd post it here.  A Value Pawn about 40mi away from me keeps advertising "Hundreds of Video Games for sale" along with another ad for "Over 50 PSP games/movies for sale".  I went in, and according to the employees, this is their only selection of games (and psp movies) and they have no more in the back (In the picture I circled their "Over 50 PSP games/movies")

Stopped by a pawn shop that specializes in Electronics, I knew I wouldn't find any great deals, but managed to find a few things.

ACL3CZg.jpg

Blood Wake, Crimson Skies and Dark Summit were all 2$

Kingdom Hearts was 7$

Also got a kinda beat up Super R Type for 5$

They were all resealed so I couldn't look inside, luckily they were all complete, and I got a bonus.

The Xbox Live card I found in Crimson Skies was unused, and according to Microsoft, since it was in a Starter Kit and not a retail card, it has no expiration date, and can still be used on my 360. BONUS!

Microsoft actually took all the old starter kit codes out of their database - so they don't actually work anymore. Customer support won't be able to find any evidence of the code existing and you'll pretty much not be able to get anything out of it.

I've got two unredeemed cards on my desk at work and there's pretty much nothing I can do to redeem them. Microsoft CS kept telling me to take them back to where I got them (even though I mentioned several times that they were from 2005).

If you somehow manage to redeem the code, let me know how you pull it off.

I found a decent pawn shop today in my town that has a rather decent selection of games.  Got Nier, Deus Ex, R&C All 4 One and Crack in Time for a decent price.  On the other hand the big one in my area is garbage.  They have a bunch of games I want to get but they do the stupid sticker system and every game is priced according to eBay.  If they would do a bundle deal I could probably nick a bunch of quality games for cheap but they won't.  

Scored today in a summer clearance sale:

All for PS3:

GTA V $15

NCAA Basketball 2010: $5

UFC Undisputed 3: $5

If it wasn't for the good deal on those other ones, I would have paid $10 max for GTA. My friend hooked me up, like always.

Boomshakalaka

Another day, another score

PS3

South Park $6

Minecraft $6

Left 4 Dead 2 $6

I passed on some other good stuff because I only had $20 on me, and it was stuff I already have like the Batman games and Injustice. Too bad they still want $35 for their GTA5.

Went to a Pawn shop that I knew had most used Blus at $5 each. Picked out

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story
Olympus Has Fallen
And Due Date
all complete with all discs and cover art.
Olympus had a tear down the middle of the cover plastic and Walk Hard was in a Blockbuster video dvd case but I knew these cases have the actual small size blu cover art in it and i have a pack of replacement blu cases for damaged ones i get so i wasnt bothered.

Next thing i know my girlfriend starts asking the guy if he'll do $13 for the 3 (she is a penny pincher) because of the damaged case and apparant disc condition. He says ok until i whip out my debit card and says he'll only do the deal in cash.

Only got $11 cash between us and 30 cents.
Sold. :)

This is both a "Craigslist Stupidity" and "Tales from the pawn shop" but I figure i'd post it here. A Value Pawn about 40mi away from me keeps advertising "Hundreds of Video Games for sale" along with another ad for "Over 50 PSP games/movies for sale". I went in, and according to the employees, this is their only selection of games (and psp movies) and they have no more in the back (In the picture I circled their "Over 50 PSP games/movies")

This wouldn't happen to be in Akron, would it? I saw something eerily similar, and I don't want to waste my time if that's what it looks like.

Havent had much luck at goodwills recently so I stopped by a pawnshop I haven't been to in a few months. Didn't expect to find anything, but they had a bunch of N64 games in the display case. They were marked $8 so I grabbed Mario Kart, but when they rang it up it was only $1.99, so I grabbed a bunch more games. For $2 each, I found Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Zelda: Majoras Mask, Resident Evil 2, and Starfox 64, plus Megaman X and Donkey Kong Country 2 on the Super Nes. The ds games were $3 each, so i grabbed Pokemon White and New Super Mario Bros. as well (just carts no cases). Also found Tales of Xillia on Ps3 for $8. Oh, and Lil Bush season 1 (I always liked this show). Its been a while since I've found any good N64 games, especially this cheap, so I'm pretty stoked. Guess I gotta stop there more often, lol. Left behind Donkey Kong 64, Pokemon Stadium, and Super Mario World since I already have those.

Scored like a whore today! 2 shops, good deals all around.

First stop:

$8 NCAA Basketball 2010 PS3 good shape and complete

$8 NCAA Basketball 2010 360 good shape and complete

The second stop was pretty damn good. I was talking to my buddy there and asked if he had any good games...he took me in the back room. I wish I could have gotten a picture, but there were 2 book cases, 8 feet tall, filled to the top with 360, PS3, Wii, PS2 games. Even though there was a lot of shitty stuff, there was a lot of stuff marked $5. I kinda cherry picked the best deals, but there were a few other good things, like Assassin's Creed 4 marked $5 but kinda scratched, NBA 2k14 and Fifa 14 for $20 each. Not a bad price, since I got a good discount on all I bought, I would say I could have had them each for $10. I was pretty amazed at all the Sports Champions and other shitty games they had. The Wii stuff was wiped out of anything of value. There were good solid games for $5-10, but again I was looking for stuff I did not have, and stuff that has some value. I may never get that opportunity again, so I took as much advantage as I could.

$3.50 Zelda Spirit Tracks DS Complete

$3.50 Alice Madness Returns 360 Complete

$3.50 Bioshock Infinite 360 Complete

$3.50 Skyrim Legendary PS3 disc only

$11.00 GTA 5 Complete

$26.50 after tax out the door.

All in all, one hell of a day for me on the pawn front.

One last flip experience from Monday at my local shop:

$6 each:

PS3 The last of US

PS3 Black Ops 2

3DS Ocarina of Time

I ended up flipping all the shit I got in the past couple weeks to Gamestop on Monday, made out like a bandit with the 50% coupon.

The shop is pretty cleaned out now, but it's the only pawn in the area, so they have good turnaround on games, the owner isn't interested in them at all, buys them for $3 or less and sells for $7.

Grabbed some games at 2 for 10 at my favorite pawn shop.

Gta 5 on 360
Forza 4
Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 on ps3

All complete and in good shape.

Made a couple decent hauls over the weekend for trade fodder.

1st pawn shop I picked up Black Ops 2 and War in the North (x2) for 360 for $20.

2nd pawn shop I picked up Black Ops 2 (PS3 this time), Tropico 4 (360), Heaven's Memo Pad Complete (Blu), and Bleach: Fade to Black (Blu) for $20.

Needless to say, I did alright with my gamestop trade in with the 50% bonus.

Had a really good find at the pawns the other day:

161dkb9.jpg

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs and Mega Man X3 - $28 total

I was really excited to pick up X3 as it's one of those titles I never expected to find in the wild.

Had a really good find at the pawns the other day:

161dkb9.jpg

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs and Mega Man X3 - $28 total

I was really excited to pick up X3 as it's one of those titles I never expected to find in the wild.
Man... I've been dying to get my hands back on copies of X2 and X3.

I feel sad when I think about those two games. About 13-14 years ago, my mother was yard-sailing pretty frequently... before the whole retro gaming market was so saturated with resellers. I swear, she would bring home so many copies of great games like Mega Man 7, X2 and X3. I traded in at least 7 or 8 copies of X3 to Gamestop, back when they were doing SNES and retro stuff. I wish I had known they'd rocket in value. I just wanna get my hands on another copy now :(

Are you guys going to local pawn shops or chain stores and finding South Park for that cheap? Seems to be a trend but don't know if I'd luck out too if I looked around because all I have are chain shops around here.

Are you guys going to local pawn shops or chain stores and finding South Park for that cheap? Seems to be a trend but don't know if I'd luck out too if I looked around because all I have are chain shops around here.
I hit local pawn shops.

The rule is--if you see something you want, buy it. It probably won't be there when you go back.

Picked up mint copies of Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) and LoZ Twilight Princess (Wii) for $5 a piece at a local pawn the other day.

Picked up mint copies of Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) and LoZ Twilight Princess (Wii) for $5 a piece at a local pawn the other day.
I just finished Curious Village, fun game.

All of the pawn shops I go to are local ones. The South Park game I picked up out of town at a Cash America store, though. Some more recent finds:

PS Vita old model with a 16GB memory card - $90

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds Xbox (complete) - $4

Kingdom Hearts 2 (complete) - $5

Maximo vs. Army of Zin (complete) - $5

Microsoft actually took all the old starter kit codes out of their database - so they don't actually work anymore. Customer support won't be able to find any evidence of the code existing and you'll pretty much not be able to get anything out of it.

I've got two unredeemed cards on my desk at work and there's pretty much nothing I can do to redeem them. Microsoft CS kept telling me to take them back to where I got them (even though I mentioned several times that they were from 2005).

If you somehow manage to redeem the code, let me know how you pull it off.
I know this was a couple months ago but my brother finally got around to messing with it, not entirely sure how he did it, but through chatting with Microsoft support and sending them some pictures and some other things, they e-mailed him a valid code and he now has a year of Xbox Live.

I know this was a couple months ago but my brother finally got around to messing with it, not entirely sure how he did it, but through chatting with Microsoft support and sending them some pictures and some other things, they e-mailed him a valid code and he now has a year of Xbox Live.
Are you serious? I spent hours with customer support over this and all I got was a line that my case would be escalated to "Consumer Advocacy" which is a total bullshit line they feed people to placate them. Whenever I have problems with Xbox Live codes, I get the run around from CS like I'm some kind of 12 year old trying to steal free Xbox Live codes.

I want to try again to get my codes to work, but I know I'll just waste time with Microsoft's crappy CS reps.

Are you serious? I spent hours with customer support over this and all I got was a line that my case would be escalated to "Consumer Advocacy" which is a total bullshit line they feed people to placate them. Whenever I have problems with Xbox Live codes, I get the run around from CS like I'm some kind of 12 year old trying to steal free Xbox Live codes.

I want to try again to get my codes to work, but I know I'll just waste time with Microsoft's crappy CS reps.
Yep, he didn't really have any problems getting it done either, we've both had good luck with Microsoft's instant chat reps.

Just picked up Mario Kart 8 and DKC Tropical Freeze both mint/complete from a pawn shop up the street from me for $14.99 each. They also had Mario 3D World for $19.99 but I already own it.

My last pawn shop pick up was a used N64 with gold collector's edition Ocarina of Time bundled with it!!! $60 

Force Unleashed 2 Steelbook for PS3, 5.99.

Also saw a Halo Reach Edition 360 CIB, 159, can't wait for the prices of special edtion 360's to drop down low,

really like a lot of them.

Picked these up yesterday:

2znr86t.jpg

PS4 NHL 15 - $32

X1 Crimes & Punishments: Sherlock Holmes - $25

X1 Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition - $25

Had an interesting adventure to a pawn shop, and I could use some advice. There's this pawn shop in West Baltimore that occassionally posts about video game stuff on CL. I finally decided to check it out, and lo and behold they actually have non-junk games. We're talking decent PS3 and Wii titles, GBA stuff, DS stuff, etc. But they're prices are CRAZY, especially considering that they're in The Wire territory. $10/$20 flat pricing for PS3 games, $15 flat pricing for Wii games, $10 flat pricing for GBA games, $15 for DS/3DS, and $20 for new DS games. I grabbed a sealed Dragon Quest 4, a sealed Glory of Heracles, and a shrinkwrapped Ace Attorney Investigations for $53, but only because I knew I could make up the money on the other two by selling the first.

Does anyone out there have any tips for haggling with pawn shops? There's some stuff I'd love to go back and grab but I really don't want to spend more than $5 per item. I'm thinking of just giving it a couple of months and going back after the holidays. I'm seriously doubtful that any of the other game collectors are going to make the trek down there, so I figure I'll go in, let them know that I know the stuff has been sitting there for months, then try to get a bulk deal for the prices I want.

Mike, I really think that if you have cash, that's your best leverage. Using the 'cash in face' method you could have moderate success depending on their staff.

bread's done
Back