Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

Hmm good idea, though admittedly I'm somewhat leery of going to that part of town with loads of physical monies. Maybe I'll try emailing them first.

Alright, gotcha. Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it! I hit them up in a few weeks when I get the chance and see what I can do.

yeah, just go in, no emailing...

Spend a decent chunk of time looking at another catagory... instruments? and ask about a couple...

then go to the video games... and ask about cash pricing if you buy more than one....

(they think you balked at the instrument pricing and want your $$ before you leave...)

works most of the time (helps if they are not busy...)

good luck!

P2d3avk.jpg

Finds at the Pawn Shop for 5.99 each

NFS: Most Wanted Limited Edition

Dirt 2

Alan Wake C.E. Complete (was in the DVD TV Series section lol.)

Stopped at a local shop before getting a hair cut and found Mike Tyson's Punch Out and Wizards and Warriors II NES for $5.  They usually only have crap games but the Punch Out was sitting front and center when I checked the rack.  Person running the register tried screwing me over; they were B1G1 for $5 but she was saying $10. 

They also had a sign on the front case saying "all games in case on sale $5 each".  It was pretty much all GBA and DS shovelware, but a separate basket had some Pokémon games with a tag saying "all games $20".  I was going to try to get the Pokémon games for $5 each but after having to haggle with the lady about items that were clearly tagged correct I decided to come back in a day or so to see if I can get someone else to help me.

Grabbed a few Genesis sports games for $00.99 each. Complete so I figured why not. Also grabbed a copy of the Suffering for Xbox for $00.99. Best find today was a copy of Shining Soul for GBA for $1.99, still needed that one.

Found another shop with 6$ flat priced 360 and PS3 games.

Picked up these on 360

Dragonball Z: Battle of Z

COD: Black ops (Have never played the campaign on this one)

Lost: Via Domus

Reluctantly passed on Forza 4 and Forza Horizon, but I've already got them and the flip to my local store isn't that great.

My sister grabbed the Walking Dead on PS3 to try it out.

One local spot has 2/$5 on NES, SNES, N64, Xbox, PS2.  Most of it is garbage but it seems there are a few ok items every time I stop in.  Grabbed Doom 64 and Mario Golf 64 for $5.  Probably the best deal I can find nearby for cartridge games.

Cartridge finds for me are few and far between anymore. Passed on Advanced Warfare on 360 for $32 a few days ago. Picked up the old NFS Most Wanted and Devil May cry HD Collection on Xbox 360 for $15 bucks total.

Hit one of my favorite Value Pawns on Friday and the highlight was a broken 25th Anniversary DSI XL (sticker said it wouldn't power on).  It was marked $24.99 which seemed an alright price for something I just wanted to have in my variant collection and not to use.  When he scanned the barcode, he said that the price actually dropped to $12.99, so that made me even happier.

I got home to test out the console and found out the reason it wouldn't power on is that the battery contacts weren't getting proper pressure, so all I had to do was put a folded up piece of paper between the cover & battery and it works great.

Picked up a couple good titles.

Need for Speed Rivals PS4
Injustice Ultimate Edition PS4
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD PS3

$20 bill. Boom goes the dynamite.

[quote name="leecy" post="12269534" timestamp="1416959052"]Had a pretty stellar find earlier at the pawns. Found one I never expected to see out in the wild:

2qkhvsj.jpg

Price paid: $4.99[/quote]

Wow! Nice find. I probably would have skipped it as if never heard of it before.

Yeah, Metal Warriors is pretty rare and SUUUUPER good. My brother and I rented it all the time as kids but never picked it up. Le sigh.

Went around to a handful of pawns and found stuff at some of them

pnZB5rv.jpg

DJ Hero 2 PS3, Complete in Box, never played it, but for 9$ I figured now's the time to try.

Red Faction Guerrilla guide - 1$

The First Templar on 360 - 5$

Dreamcast Collection on 360, BLOPS 2, and Dynasty Warriors Gundam for 6 a Piece

Farcry Compilation on 360 for 10$

and Fire Emblem on GBA was actually FREE, mega score since I NEVER find anything nintendo related.

Also not pictured was a complete mint Super Monkey Ball, Player's Choice for 1$

Stopped by a few pawns today not expecting much, had a few nice finds.

Suikoden V PS2 $10

Phantom Brave (w/soundtrack) PS2 $10

Mana Khemia PSP $10

Yggdra Union PSP $10

Star Wars Ewok Adventures DVD $3

Had been looking for Suikoden V for quite awhile and the Star Wars DVD is pretty rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, my luck with buying AS-IS consoles is quite amazing.  Due to there being an accident on the freeway I got sidetracked and ended up going to a Value pawn that I didnt plan on going to.  I spotted a PS Vita with a $36 clearance sticker.  Of course my first question was "What's wrong with it" and while they couldnt find any record of it being returned, they said something about it having issues charging. 

I charged it up without issue and have tested everything I could and the system seems to be running great.  I'm letting it drain right now but its been running Welcome Park for 40 minutes and the battery meter has barely gone down.  I think I may have lucked out and got myself a perfectly working vita for $36.

Quick trip the my favorite pawn shop paid off, got Payday 2 Safecracker Edition, Sniper Elite V2, and Arkham Origins on 360 for 6 a piece, and Fable and Scarface on PS2 for .50 a piece

Picked up the following for $20:

Shin Megami Tensei IV 3DS
Spectral Souls PSP
Adventure of Link NES

The 3DS and PSP games were $10 each, Zelda was a throw-in.

This shop has a few decent items every few weeks. Found more than a few decent PSP titles there.

Caught the local ebay priced pawn shop slipping on a few:

Mint complete Rock Band 3 for Wii, 4.00

Mint complete Starfox Command for DS, 4.00

and Smuggler's Run: Warzones for GC for 1.00

OsGW4RR.jpg

God I love flat rate priced pawn shops, got these 4 games for 6$ a piece.

Battlefied 4 Steelbook - 360

Burnout Revenge -360 (Wanted this for a looong time)

Cars 2 - PS3

Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball 2 (This is for re-sale lol)

LcQNmbv.jpg

Pawn shop got a ton of stuff in since Saturday, picked up these 2, saw some other interesting stuff but it'll have to wait, don't want to be going garage saling with an empty budget.

DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 for the Wii - 6$

Fire Emblem GBA for 5$

I've literally only found 2 GBA games in the wild thus far, and it was Fire Emblem both times, I thought Fire Emblem was a rare/obscure title?

ZKUM3M4.jpg

Stopped by the local pawn on the way home from work.  This place always gets some decent handheld games in every few weeks and today was no different.

Picked up the following DS games for $10 each, all CIB.

Contact

Disgaea DS

Dragon Quest IV :p

Final Fantasy III

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Grimoire of the Rift

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes

Rune Factory

I was pretty happy to find DQ IV until I got home and opened the box; it was DQ IX.  I hustled back and lucked out that the cart was in the DQ IX box on the shelf.  I hated dropping $70 but I got some decent value with most of these titles. 

Other items I passed on include Animal Crossing Wild World, Lunar Knights, Super Mario DS (they pulled this after I left and put it with the more expensive games), Hoshigami Remix, Harvest Moon Cute - Frantic Farming and Sunshine Islands.  Think I may go back after Lunar Knights and Hoshigami tomorrow.

What'd I get from the pawns yesterday? Here we go:

Sonic Mega Collection Plus, Sonic Riders, and Shadow the Hedgehog (LOL) for PS2 in sleeves, for $1.66 each (total $5)

Borderlands 2 Greatest Hits for PS3, for $5 (weaseled down from $7)

Killzone Mercenary for Vita, for $15 (weaseled down from $20)

One of these pawns had rather, uh, optimistic prices on their software. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire was thirty dollars, and older Pokemon games for the GameBoy were at least that much. That was naked, by the way, without boxes or manuals.

I was rather dismayed that I couldn't find a PS2 to go with those games. The pawn I got them from sold all of theirs in a lot, and nobody else had one to spare. I did see a PSOne buried at a St. Vincent De Paul's, but what DOESN'T play PSOne games these days?

It had been a few weeks but I finally stopped into a Value pawn by me that does flat rate pricing where all games (regardless of how new) will be $15 or less.    The majority of their selection for XB1/PS4 was sports games but luckily right on top of the XB1 stack was a copy of GTA V for $15.  I already have it on PS4, but Gamestop is currently paying $40 for it, so I snagged it and everything's in great shape. 

It had been a few weeks but I finally stopped into a Value pawn by me that does flat rate pricing where all games (regardless of how new) will be $15 or less. The majority of their selection for XB1/PS4 was sports games but luckily right on top of the XB1 stack was a copy of GTA V for $15. I already have it on PS4, but Gamestop is currently paying $40 for it, so I snagged it and everything's in great shape.
Very nice find, one pawn shop close to me has a sign for 10$ flat rate on xb1 and ps4, but I've yet to see any in stock.

Went back to the pawn shop and picked up Lunar Knights DS and Hoshigami Remix DS for $20.

As I was leaving I noticed they had Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (complete) for $15.  I really wanted to get it but I've been blowing too much money on games recently.  I'll probably end up caving and getting it in a few days.

Picked up all the pictured for $40. First good Wii U games (ie not Funky Barn) I've found at a pawn shop.

[attachment=14920:20150610_154836.png]

Went back to the eBay priced pawn shop and grabbed Capcom Classics Collection Vol 2 on PS2 for 4$, also saw Final Fantasy XII CE in good shape for 5$ but passed.

bread's done
Back