Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

[quote name='ohram']I'm off to the pawn shop in two days. Wish me luck comrades![/quote]
Good luck. And remember, anything thats been there for over a month is eligible for a discount.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Good luck. And remember, anything thats been there for over a month is eligible for a discount.[/quote] Seriously?
Do I just ask?

Missed army of 2 for 360 for $15 by a minute....but got a wavebird and Mass Effect for $25 total.

I've had such high hopes after finding this thread. Went down to one shop and they sold Blu-rays. I asked the guy how much and he said $25. I asked if they were new and he said no.

I've purchased about 10 blu-rays in the past 3 months and haven't spent more than $20. What the hell is this place thinking?

[quote name='ohram']I'm off to the pawn shop in two days. Wish me luck comrades![/quote]

This sucked. Woke up early, got everything ready, looked up online what I should look for, yadda yadda yadda, show up and there's a sign that says "ON VACATION BE BACK 13TH" These people vacation for two weeks almost every other month.

Found out this morning, the pawn shop I go to weekly about 5 miles away was leveled by the Tornado we had Thursday night :cry:.

That was the only good one that is anywhere close to where I live.

Scored Rockband Bundle w/o box for $115 at my pawnshop this morning. The yellow drum plate has been dislodged in one corner, but everything works.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Got a GH copy of Shadow of the Colossus yesterday for $6. Dont like it.[/quote]

I traded my Classic Controller for a sealed GH copy and I regret it too. I don't really like SotC. I can't believe it got such good reviews with that horronous framerate.

[quote name='Samus']I traded my Classic Controller for a sealed GH copy and I regret it too. I don't really like SotC. I can't believe it got such good reviews with that horronous framerate.[/quote]
it was just boring to me. I was exctied cuz it thought it would play like PoP but it didnt.

Are most people's pawn shops the kind where you can haggle? Does anyone else have a super "legit" pawn shop they visit?
The only pawn shop that I know of that sells old games is one of the ones where you can't haggle at all. Everything is the listed price, plus tax. It's not even a chain, it's just one guy's store.

[quote name='dfg']Did you guys (who disliked SotC) play ICO?[/quote]

I'm the opposite. I disliked ICO, but up until the collosi started shooting green poison or whatever outta their bodies, I was enjoying SOTC. However, I got super frustrated on the first one like that(#6 or so I think, the lizard type one which climbs up and down inside a tower). I just bought a PS3 and GTAIV and well, SOTC will have to wait for now. LOL

I hated having to drag that girl with you everyplace in ICO, which albeit made it more frenetic, since you had to make sure she didn't get dragged down into the darkness or whatever. But, it was a major league PITA after a while.

As for my local pawn shops, Paddy, they're kinda flexible on prices, but they rarely have any older gen stuff cheap.

These have been my pawn shop scores over the last couple of weeks -

PSP Slim with 2 GB memory stick, USB cable / charger, car adapter - $100 They sold it to me that cheap because it "didn't have a charger". It did, but they didn't know about it. They had no clue the 2 GB stick was in there either, that was a welcome surprise.

Gears of War 360 - $20

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 PS2 - $7.50 (all three of these deals came from the same shop at different dates)

Starfox 64 - $5 (This is from a pawn shop that usually overcharges on everything too, I was expecting $10).

Blast Corps - $3

Wave Race 64 - $5

Excitebike 64 - $5

Pilotwings 64 - $8

Pilotwings 64 was a bit expensive, but I don't come across N64 games often, and I was getting three other games with it so I figured why the hell not. Plus, I barely go into Tampa, so I couldn't think on it and come back or anything. Blast Corps was so cheap because it was really dirty, but it looks good now after cleaning.

The pawn shops here used to be pretty decent in Saint Petersburg, but I moved, came back, and most of the ones I hit up all went to shit. One pawn shop barely has any games anymore, and one of them overcharges on games like crazy. Someone said their pawn shop wanted $25 for Blu-Ray's? This pawn shop wants $30 and $35!!! No lie, they have The Game Plan Blu-Ray for $35, along with some others =/ Why would anyone pay over retail for a used Blu-Ray?

All of their PS2 - Xbox games are $8 (fair) to $25 (insane), and it's not the rare stuff that is $25... it's stuff like God of War.

Do you guys just hit the chain store pawns, like Cash America, or do you go to all the local, smaller pawns as well? I mostly just stick with the chains, but I'm thinking of branching out, if only because we only have a small number of chain stores here, and at least 1/2 of them are horrible.

I have the same problem of pawn shops not stocking older games... I'm damn lucky if I find anything older than Xbox / PS2, and when I do, it's usually sports games... but I did ok this week. I live in the same area as SegaSonic, but he's in Tampa so it's a lot easier for him to check out these pawns than me, it's a good 30 mile drive to get to some of these pawns and gas is just insane :( Though I give him props, he told me about the pawn where I grabbed the 4 N64 games at the bottom of the list.

Had a pretty good run today. Went to the PS and found FF7 non GH and MVC2(PS2) for 15 bucks total. 10 for MVC2 and 5 for FF7.
Heres were it get really good. While I was paying, some bum came in with a PS3 with everything in the bag and asked how much will he get for it. The guy at the counter said 75 bucks. So, I was like WTF?, man ill give you 100 for it. Score!!! Went home to find out it was the 60gb verison in great working condition. I didn't know how it worked at the time but had to take a chance anyway.
Best haul EVER!!!!!!

[quote name='lilchubz11']Had a pretty good run today. Went to the PS and found FF7 non GH and MVC2(PS2) for 15 bucks total. 10 for MVC2 and 5 for FF7.
Heres were it get really good. While I was paying, some bum came in with a PS3 with everything in the bag and asked how much will he get for it. The guy at the counter said 75 bucks. So, I was like WTF?, man ill give you 100 for it. Score!!! Went home to find out it was the 60gb verison in great working condition. I didn't know how it worked at the time but had to take a chance anyway.
Best haul EVER!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I'm surprised the pawn shop didn't kick you out and ask you not to come back after that. Did they say anything to you?

I know if I tried that around here, I'd get asked to leave and not come back.

do you go to small pawns or chains?

well in my town there are only 2 pawn shops both are independently owned..

i pretty much exclusively only shop at one of them because the other doesnt get v-game stuff in that often or when it does they over charge me.. but at this other one in town.. pretty much all v-games are 10 bucks (picked up DMC 4 X360 for 10 bucks, a couple other games for 7 bucks.. so i always check there.. however lately it seems that i have a bit of compeition at the times I go so now I try to go right before they close or right when they open (expecting they put out new games before they leave or before they open) but usually i run across great deals..

i don't ever go to the pawn shops in towns that have chains.. i NEVER find anything when i go to them.

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm surprised the pawn shop didn't kick you out and ask you not to come back after that. Did they say anything to you?

I know if I tried that around here, I'd get asked to leave and not come back.[/quote]
He did give me a dirty look but thats it. I wouldn't really care if he told me to never come back after this great deal.

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm surprised the pawn shop didn't kick you out and ask you not to come back after that. Did they say anything to you?

I know if I tried that around here, I'd get asked to leave and not come back.[/QUOTE]

seriously what can they really do?.. i mean other than getting the pawn shop to pay more for it (which they should have given the guy 150 sell for 250 at least for it) i've purchased stuff off of guys trying to sell stuff into pawns or EB when they find out they won't give them much of anything for it.

they really wouldn't have much grounds on kicking him out.

[quote name='lilchubz11']Had a pretty good run today. Went to the PS and found FF7 non GH and MVC2(PS2) for 15 bucks total. 10 for MVC2 and 5 for FF7.
Best haul EVER!!!!!![/quote]

I've only ever done that at a Gamestop the one time and a local game shop the other time. And, the only time I SHOULD have been trying to offer more for something someone else was trading in, I didn't have the extra cash on me(just recently).

The one guy traded in FFVII(GH),FFVIII,SH Covenant and a couple other really good games, a dvd or two and something else and he was given $35 total for everything.

I wanted to go up to him and smack him in the head for being such a dummy and I had to really bite my lip to not ask him if he could wait till I got some extra cash so I could buy the stuff from him.

This was at a local shop and I had maybe $12 on me at the time. I WISH I could snag another PS3 for $100, I'd do it in a second.

[quote name='Roufuss']

Do you guys just hit the chain store pawns, like Cash America, or do you go to all the local, smaller pawns as well? I mostly just stick with the chains, but I'm thinking of branching out, if only because we only have a small number of chain stores here, and at least 1/2 of them are horrible.
[/quote]

I hit all of them, Cash America seems to get quite a few rares here, and sell for ok prices, EZ pawn sells so cheap that you have to be there when it comes in to get it.

There are some small Mom and Pop Pawns here that are pretty good.

My Pawn deals this week

EZ Pawn - 2 NES games and 1 DVD - $4
Cash America - Pikmin - $10
Lev's - Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Kart, Smash Bros 64, Mario Party 1 - $25
Parlor city pawn - the Golden compass(DVD) - $5
B & B Loan - Karaoke Revolution Party (PS2)- $7

[quote name='urzishra14']seriously what can they really do?.. i mean other than getting the pawn shop to pay more for it (which they should have given the guy 150 sell for 250 at least for it) i've purchased stuff off of guys trying to sell stuff into pawns or EB when they find out they won't give them much of anything for it.

they really wouldn't have much grounds on kicking him out.[/QUOTE]

They can throw you out of the store and ask you to not come back - then it's trespassing if show up on the property again.

I've heard numerous stories of Gamestop employees throwing people out of the store for undercutting trade in values.

They don't need much ground at all to throw somebody out, and taking business away from them is a good enough reason.

I mean, awesome that you got a good deal, but I personally wouldn't have done that at the pawn's I go to since I like to keep going back. Eventually you'll get a pissed employee or manager and I'd rather not deal with that. I guess my point is props, that's an awesome deal, just be careful with that sort of thing.

A bum?
Chances are it's stolen.

[quote name='PaddyTheChump']A bum?
Chances are it's stolen.[/quote]
It probably was stolen but who cares as long as it works.
I get what the poster above said I get what your saying but it was to good to pass up.
wouldn't you have done the same if you were in my position?

[quote name='lilchubz11']It probably was stolen but who cares as long as it works.
I get what the poster above said I get what your saying but it was to good to pass up.
wouldn't you have done the same if you were in my position?[/QUOTE]

Nah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Don't ever do it!", it's just to be careful when you do it, because there are some real dick employees out there.

[quote name='lilchubz11']It probably was stolen but who cares as long as it works.
wouldn't you have done the same if you were in my position?[/quote]
Well that's illegal, but yeah.
I probably would have done the same.
I know if I did that at my store I would probably have been banned, however.

yea I kinda new it was wrong
If it was some else i might have use walked away
but it was to good to pass up;)
I might lay low for awhile before going back

[quote name='Segasonic01']Mario Party 3-$7
Mario Kart-$7

This is from the same pawn you were at yesterday, Roufuss.[/QUOTE]

Nice!

Was it Mario Kart for the N64?

I looked through both of those tubs of N64 games and didn't see Mario Party 3 at all.. but I don't think I would have nabbed it anyways, since I've got 8 and we barely play that one around here anyways, and I just got Kart 64 the other day too.

But still, nice haul... I dug through both those tubs, where did you find those games? I even asked the lady if she had more N64 stuff, and she said "No, just these" and other than what I nabbed, it was just shitty South Park, wrestling, and sports games. And some Pokemon game.

I thought I hit the jackpot at a local PS today. Saw a ton of newer 360/ps3 games, and a ton of great ps2 games. I couldn't see the price on any so I ask to see Call of Duty 4. Guys gets it out and wham 55 bucks. He tells me he keeps his games in price with GameStop. Then I ask another person about a certain game and he tells me the same about GameStop. He then makes a joke about having so many games, and I say, well its because your prices are like GameStops.

"pretty good haul"?!?! you shut the hell up man. i would sell my grandma for a haul like that. naw im kidding i love that old gal. but seriously that was a nice haul for $115 bucks. you could pretty much make up all that with those games. damn you man

[quote name='Coper3000']I thought I hit the jackpot at a local PS today. Saw a ton of newer 360/ps3 games, and a ton of great ps2 games. I couldn't see the price on any so I ask to see Call of Duty 4. Guys gets it out and wham 55 bucks. He tells me he keeps his games in price with GameStop. Then I ask another person about a certain game and he tells me the same about GameStop. He then makes a joke about having so many games, and I say, well its because your prices are like GameStops.[/quote]
BURNED!

Best haul EVER!!!!!![/quote]I'm gonna go out on a limb here and call bullshit. To get even one of those is highly unlikely. I've seen more and more of this on this site lately.

[quote name='cranguy']I'm gonna go out on a limb here and call bullshit. To get even one of those is highly unlikely. I've seen more and more of this on this site lately.[/QUOTE]

you know i've found MVC2 for 15 bucks and FF7 for 5 bucks so i don't think its bs

[quote name='Otherguy676']I saw them there and I picked up Segasonic so he could get them. The games were marked the 10th so you missed them by a day:)[/QUOTE]

Ha, like I said, I probably would have passed anyways, since I have Kart 64 and I have no interest in any of the Mario Party's unless they were like $3. That is an awesome find, though.
We should definitely go pawn shopping sometime before you leave.

And to the other posts above me, cheap games happen often at pawn shops that don't care about Ebay value, and price goods to actually MOVE. There is one pawn shop here that prices every 360 game at $20, and every last gen game is under $10. Like I wrote earlier, I got Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 for $8 after tax, and it's a $40 - $50 game. I'm sure if MvC 2 ever showed up in this same pawn shop, it would probably be under $10 too.

[quote name='Roufuss']Ha, like I said, I probably would have passed anyways, since I have Kart 64 and I have no interest in any of the Mario Party's unless they were like $3. That is an awesome find, though.
We should definitely go pawn shopping sometime before you leave.

And to the other posts above me, cheap games happen often at pawn shops that don't care about Ebay value, and price goods to actually MOVE. There is one pawn shop here that prices every 360 game at $20, and every last gen game is under $10. Like I wrote earlier, I got Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 for $8 after tax, and it's a $40 - $50 game. I'm sure if MvC 2 ever showed up in this same pawn shop, it would probably be under $10 too.[/quote]

That is exactly how I got my copy of MvC2 =)

I have seen MvC2 come into a local pawnshop that sells them for $5 but one of teh workers always buys them as they hit the floor and then leaves them on the counter to show off.

I have seen FFVII for $2 in the same pawnshop, but the same guy buys them, He invited me to his house once, He has tubs and crates of rare games but no systems, he hates games but buys them because they are worth something.

[quote name='cranguy']I'm gonna go out on a limb here and call bullshit. To get even one of those is highly unlikely. I've seen more and more of this on this site lately.[/quote]
I could care less if you believe me or not. Yea, im just gonna post a story to see how everyone reacts. Im not that sad of a person.

bread's done
Back