Target 20% off Destiny Trade-In Promotion and $20 Guaranteed for Select Titles

jvang117

CAGiversary!
Feedback
933 (100%)
Not everyone frequents the Target Thread, so I thought I might as well make a separate thread for Target's awesome current trade-in promo! (Mods, feel free to delete if repost.)

http://www.targettradeinprogram.com/ (click on red box labeled "20% Off Credit Towards Destiny!*!" for more information)

Here are the details of the promotion if you're too lazy to check yourself lol:

20% off Destiny Trade-In Promotion
Between 8/31/14 and 9/6/14 trade in eligible video games* and get the trade-in value PLUS 20% off Destiny AND get a guaranteed trade-in value on select hot titles. 20% off coupon will be valid 9/9 - 9/20/2014.

$20 Guaranteed Trade-in Value on the following select titles:

-Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)
-Titanfall (Xbox One & Xbox 360)
-Battlefield 4 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)
-Call of Duty: Ghosts (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)
-NBA 2K14 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)
-Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)

*To be eligible for the promotion, video game must be in the trade-in catalog. Offer valid in-store only in select Target mobile locations. Search below to find eligible stores.

All in all, if you have any copies of the above titles that you're looking to get rid of (*cough* mainly Call of Duty: Ghosts *cough*), now would be the time to do it if

a) you want Destiny for 20% off (even better with RedCard 5% off/employee discount 10% off)
b) don't like/have GameStop credit
c) don't like/have Best Buy credit / don't have GCU at Best Buy
d) (edited for post #21) don't like Walmart LOL

e) etc...

Thanks for reading and have a fine day :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Buy wouldnt price match (TigerDirect.com) Ghost for the PS3. They said its from 3rd party seller  :wall:

Can someone please confirm whether or not the deal is dead for COD ghosts for 360? Im at Target now. They couldn't find it in the trade in list anymore and im pissed because the site says guaranteed $20

Best Buy wouldnt price match (TigerDirect.com) Ghost for the PS3. They said its from 3rd party seller :wall:
Really? I just got back from there, did it no problem. Have them check their vendor lists, they're on there. The employee wasn't sure but the manager confirmed it.

Can someone please confirm whether or not the deal is dead for COD ghosts for 360? Im at Target now. They couldn't find it in the trade in list anymore and im pissed because the site says guaranteed $20
Didn't work for me either about an hour ago. Not in trade system. If you have a best buy not far, trade there and get the ps3 version. You'll still come out a little ahead if you are looking to unload

I'm trying it now and it's not in there system. FAIL!

ohhh, ok. I didn't realize that. I was just basing it off of me doing it once for a game my gf bought me that I already had on a different console and she had lost the receipt.
Knowingly making a material misrepresentation to a retailer ("this was purchased here") in order to get store credit or merchandise is a crime in most states.

A lot of big box stores were having trouble with scammers taking things off the sales floor and straight to Customer Service, where they'd make no receipt "returns." The laws put in place to crack down on that are usually broad enough that you could get into serious trouble for returning or exchanging a Target or Best Buy game at, say, Walmart.

Return fraud just doesn't make sense, especially when there are so many good, legitimate flip opportunities. Sure, the likelihood of being caught is low and the likelihood of prosecution is even lower, but a fraud arrest (even without a charge or conviction) will make you all but unemployable.

Everything went okay for me today. I went in to Best Buy and found two copies of Ghosts for PS3. I only went with one for now so it didn't seem too shady. When the lady went to price match, she did have a bewildered look on her face as she was examining my phone to 100% verify the price was accurate. After leaving Best Buy, I went down the street to Target and traded in the game for $20 and got my Destiny coupon. I may make a few more trips this week.

Looks like the 360 version of ghosts is back in their online catalog. I'd assume this means that it should now be in their in-store catalog as well. I'm going to try later today.

Bought two copies of PS3 Ghost PM'd at Best Buy and went to Target where after a little slow down of not finding the correct price in the system the clerk working ran two transactions giving two 20 gift cards and two Destiny 20% coupons.  I think he had trouble with the second transaction without having a different ID but he got it through fine.

Thanks, traded in AC Black flag and GTA V (which I didn't even play and will get for next gen).   Could get more for GTA at bestbuy but the $40 will go towards destiny.  Already have a preorder card for PS4.  20% off destiny coupon prints out.   

Everything went okay for me today. I went in to Best Buy and found two copies of Ghosts for PS3. I only went with one for now so it didn't seem too shady. When the lady went to price match, she did have a bewildered look on her face as she was examining my phone to 100% verify the price was accurate. After leaving Best Buy, I went down the street to Target and traded in the game for $20 and got my Destiny coupon. I may make a few more trips this week.
Target limits you to one trade transaction with a promo per week. You'll need a second ID to make another trip. I just use my wife's.

Hmm... I have a copy of Asassin's Creed IV for the Xbox One I got from GameFly for $9.99. I'm not huge on Destiny, but it looks okay.

So if I trade this in, Destiny drops to $48? Then I get $20 in credit , so I'll pay $28?

Am I missing anything?

Hmm... I have a copy of Asassin's Creed IV for the Xbox One I got from GameFly for $9.99. I'm not huge on Destiny, but it looks okay.

So if I trade this in, Destiny drops to $48? Then I get $20 in credit , so I'll pay $28?

Am I missing anything?
I don't think you get $20 + the TIV, just that you get at least $20, so in this case if it was $9 TIV, they would just bump it to $20, and then you also get the 20% coupon.

I don't think you get $20 + the TIV, just that you get at least $20, so in this case if it was $9 TIV, they would just bump it to $20, and then you also get the 20% coupon.
exactly. You get the 20% off coupon and then you get the $20 trade in credit in a form as a GIFT CARD. So you can use the gift card however you want. Plus, you might as well reserve it with the $1 reservation card because you get a $5 gift card when you purchase it at target.

What?

$60 - $60*0.2 = $48.

$48 - $20 = $28.

He never even mentioned adding TIV to the promotional TIV.

All you had to do was post "Yes."

Target's own website has AC4 on 360 for $18.  Even with tax, that's a very small profit.  It's only like seventy-five cents profit, but if you're there, have the time and doing it anyways, why not?

Anyone confirm being able to do this promotion twice? Last time there was a trade-in promotion Target restricted customers by name lol!

When I tried to trade in 2 of the same game at the same time, the system wouldn't let me, so I don't think you can on the same visit.
Last time that happened to me, I just went back later and tried to trade in the other same copy by replacing my last name with my middle name and it worked. At first we thought it was the driver's license # that was the problem

Technically this is a better deal.

Preorder destiny for $1.

PM tiger direct for $10 ghosts.

Trade in ghosts to target for $20. Netting $10

Use 20% off coupon to get destiny for $48. Then another $10 off for ghost trade in and you get a $5 GC for the preorder.

So it comes out to 60+$10 for ghosts+$1 preorder - $20 TiV - $12 (20%)- $5 (preorder) =$34

BBY is just $60-$12 (GCU)- $10 preorder-96Rz points (roughly $2)= $36. And is only good if you have GCU.
Yes, and my point still stands. The deal is almost identical yet it would only require one trip to Best Buy with a .com purchase versus 3 trips between Target and Best Buy to get in on the trade. I know it's oversimplying things by comparing RZ cert values and a GCU membership but most deal hunters on here already have that. Aside from that, I still don't see how this Target deal is worth the extra run around. It's only for the big time flippers where I can see you can getting a PM purchase and preorder card at Target while you're already there.

Thanks OP. Kept battlefield 4 and AC4 off my massive gamestop trade in to take advantage of this deal. Netted $40 in GC plus the 20% destiny coupon instead of the $16 or so I would have gotten from gamestop. Preordered destiny from target also, so there's another $5 GC coming. Woot.

Trying to keep an eye out for a good cheap game to flip for the guaranteed $20, I have AC4 Black Flag but it's from the Limited Edition and is a steelbook.

So I went to target again today and ghost for 360 is now there, so I ended up trading ghost for ps3, 360 and xbone. After the clerk put in all the info, it did mention that I could only do the promotion once (first trip was yesterday and traded ghost for ps3). He then asked me if I needed the 20% coupon and I told him no, he then proceeded to make the gift cards. ....but without the destiny coupon.

So if you pre-order do you still get the $5 gc?
I'm thinking $60 + 8% tax is $64 - 20% - 5% red card - $20 gc x2 (ac4 ps3+ BF4 ps3) = less than $10 out of pocket for Destiny

So basically you can get the coupon once but get the $20 offer more than once?
That's what I'm hoping. I traded in a 360 copy of ghosts a few days ago, and I'm going to be in the area again today so I'll try to get another $20 gift card but without the coupon this time. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: You have to get the coupon every time, but if you slightly change your name (I had the guy put my middle name after my first name) you can get the $20 offer multiple times.

So if you pre-order do you still get the $5 gc?
I'm thinking $60 + 8% tax is $68 - 20% - 5% red card - $20 gc x2 (ac4 ps3+ BF4 ps3) = less than $10 out of pocket for Destiny
8% tax on $60 is $8?

Also you aren't adding in the cost of the AC4 an BF4. But if you don't factor those in then Destiny will be around $7.50 depending on what amount the 5% comes off of (full $60 or off after coupon price of $40)

Just got mine successfully after failing yesterday when they toom ghosts 360 down. Some thing to note: coupon says "excludes collector's editions." Seems things were a little unclear there, $20 off the limited version wouldve bern nice but no luck. Preorder cards for all versions should be gone from all Targets now. Dude at Target told me a week within release they take them down. So no more picking up an extra $4 (edit - Actually YMMV. Seems like some do it and some don't bother)

Just got mine successfully after failing yesterday when they toom ghosts 360 down. Some thing to note: coupon says "excludes collector's editions." Seems things were a little unclear there, $20 off the limited version wouldve bern nice but no luck. Preorder cards for all versions should be gone from all Targets now. Dude at Target told me a week within release they take them down. So no more picking up an extra $4.
I think your giving target too much credit , mine still had preorder cards today so ymmv on that one .

I forgot about that. I got some Pacman cards like two weeks after release, but YMMV. Will the card still work as a pre-order card? The Pacman ones were pretty much not in the system.

I traded in my copy of GTA V today and got the gift card, when I asked about the coupon the employee said it was loaded on the coupon. Did anyone else get an actual physical coupon for 20% off? Saying it was somehow loaded on the gift card just didn't seem right. I asked multiple times and kept the trade in receipt just in case.

I traded in my copy of GTA V today and got the gift card, when I asked about the coupon the employee said it was loaded on the coupon. Did anyone else get an actual physical coupon for 20% off? Saying it was somehow loaded on the gift card just didn't seem right. I asked multiple times and kept the trade in receipt just in case.

I got a physical coupon for the 20%. It was part of the 3-page trade-in receipt that prints off at the end of the transaction.

I have a couple games that are worth $20 each to trade in (BF4 & COD Ghosts both Tiger Direct $9.97 price matches) & I found the :ps3: destiny pre-order card I purchased to get :ps3: WWE 2K14 for $9.99...& I'm still undecided about Destiny lol

I apologize, but I am confused about something (and yes, I read the whole thread). I completed a trade in of two games today at $20 each and the 20% off coupon printed. I have two more games to trade in this week. If I trade them in without making any changes to my name in the system, will it not print the coupon or will it also not give me $20 values on guaranteed games?

Even if I don't want another coupon, I would need to have my wife do a trade in just to get the value?

Nothing but gift card credit can be loaded into a Target gift card.

Gift cards do not have other special functions. Membership cards usually have that as another function in other retailers, but the gift card is just a gift card.

They either lied to you or they were dumb as a brick . There is no way to load a coupon onto a gift card , what most likely happened was they did not click the box for the 20% off destiny promo . You should have received a separate print out with a barcode to scan for the 20% off . If you have something else to trade in I would do it again , the promo is only allowed once per driveres license but since you never received the promo it might work . If you don't have something else to trade in I would go back and explain the situation and in the worst case next week get an override for the 20% off . Another thing is you should go and grab the weekly add to have it with your trade in receipt for next week for proof if you did need an override.

8% tax on $60 is $8?

Also you aren't adding in the cost of the AC4 an BF4. But if you don't factor those in then Destiny will be around $7.50 depending on what amount the 5% comes off of (full $60 or off after coupon price of $40)
Good point I fixed that post. I think I got those games for around $20-$30 last fall

Is the extra target credit anygood? Any time i check they have the worst tiv's of any retailer. You can get cash at gs and it'll come out to more

I apologize, but I am confused about something (and yes, I read the whole thread). I completed a trade in of two games today at $20 each and the 20% off coupon printed. I have two more games to trade in this week. If I trade them in without making any changes to my name in the system, will it not print the coupon or will it also not give me $20 values on guaranteed games?

Even if I don't want another coupon, I would need to have my wife do a trade in just to get the value?
The system will only allow you to take advantage of this promotion once, unless you have the employee slightly change your name (I just had him add my middle name in the first name field). The funny thing is that the target mobile employee that was helping us out called his boss while I was trying to do a second trade in, and his boss just flat out told him to just change our names on the forms and it should work fine. There's no way to just get the guaranteed $20 trade in value, it'll force them to print off the coupon as well. I'm surprised that the unique ID for these trade-ins are the first/last name fields and not your drivers license number.

TL;DR version:

If you don't want the employee to change your name in the system, bring your wife.

bread's done
Back