Target 20% off Destiny Trade-In Promotion and $20 Guaranteed for Select Titles

jvang117

CAGiversary!
Feedback
933 (100%)
Not everyone frequents the Target Thread, so I thought I might as well make a separate thread for Target's awesome current trade-in promo! (Mods, feel free to delete if repost.)

http://www.targettradeinprogram.com/ (click on red box labeled "20% Off Credit Towards Destiny!*!" for more information)

Here are the details of the promotion if you're too lazy to check yourself lol:

20% off Destiny Trade-In Promotion
Between 8/31/14 and 9/6/14 trade in eligible video games* and get the trade-in value PLUS 20% off Destiny AND get a guaranteed trade-in value on select hot titles. 20% off coupon will be valid 9/9 - 9/20/2014.

$20 Guaranteed Trade-in Value on the following select titles:

-Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)
-Titanfall (Xbox One & Xbox 360)
-Battlefield 4 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3)
-Call of Duty: Ghosts (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)
-NBA 2K14 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)
-Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)

*To be eligible for the promotion, video game must be in the trade-in catalog. Offer valid in-store only in select Target mobile locations. Search below to find eligible stores.

All in all, if you have any copies of the above titles that you're looking to get rid of (*cough* mainly Call of Duty: Ghosts *cough*), now would be the time to do it if

a) you want Destiny for 20% off (even better with RedCard 5% off/employee discount 10% off)
b) don't like/have GameStop credit
c) don't like/have Best Buy credit / don't have GCU at Best Buy
d) (edited for post #21) don't like Walmart LOL

e) etc...

Thanks for reading and have a fine day :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The system will only allow you to take advantage of this promotion once, unless you have the employee slightly change your name (I just had him add my middle name in the first name field). The funny thing is that the target mobile employee that was helping us out called his boss while I was trying to do a second trade in, and his boss just flat out told him to just change our names on the forms and it should work fine. There's no way to just get the guaranteed $20 trade in value, it'll force them to print off the coupon as well. I'm surprised that the unique ID for these trade-ins are the first/last name fields and not your drivers license number.

TL;DR version:

If you don't want the employee to change your name in the system, bring your wife.
Thanks for the thorough reponse. Makes perfect sense.

I was able to successfully do this twice (Ghosts for PS4 and Ghosts for X1) and get two coupons (going to double-dip on Destiny, as well) this morning.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (for noobs out there) - the mobile kiosk has funky hours. I have gone in and they have not been there...so this time I called. They said they open up at 11:30AM (wtf) so that's when I showed up and all went through with no problem. Also - the process takes FOREVER. I waited about 15-20 minutes for him to do it twice. I can't imagine what it would be like if this was actually advertised more than on a website. Target really needs to streamline...it's ridiculous.

Thanks OP!!

They either lied to you or they were dumb as a brick . There is no way to load a coupon onto a gift card , what most likely happened was they did not click the box for the 20% off destiny promo . You should have received a separate print out with a barcode to scan for the 20% off . If you have something else to trade in I would do it again , the promo is only allowed once per driveres license but since you never received the promo it might work . If you don't have something else to trade in I would go back and explain the situation and in the worst case next week get an override for the 20% off . Another thing is you should go and grab the weekly add to have it with your trade in receipt for next week for proof if you did need an override.
Maybe what I got as a receipt is actually the coupon. There is a barcode on their but it looks more like a trade in receipt than a coupon. I don't think it actually mentions 20% off on there. The employee did print out 3 pages but only gave me the first one. I'm going to stop by tomorrow with everything I have and talk to someone at customer service about it all.

Maybe what I got as a receipt is actually the coupon. There is a barcode on their but it looks more like a trade in receipt than a coupon. I don't think it actually mentions 20% off on there. The employee did print out 3 pages but only gave me the first one. I'm going to stop by tomorrow with everything I have and talk to someone at customer service about it all.
The Mobile kiosks are kind of their own little store within Target, so Target Customer Service won't really be able to help you. They'll probably tell you that you have to go talk to Mobile.

I was able to successfully do this twice (Ghosts for PS4 and Ghosts for X1) and get two coupons (going to double-dip on Destiny, as well) this morning.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (for noobs out there) - the mobile kiosk has funky hours. I have gone in and they have not been there...so this time I called. They said they open up at 11:30AM (wtf) so that's when I showed up and all went through with no problem. Also - the process takes FOREVER. I waited about 15-20 minutes for him to do it twice. I can't imagine what it would be like if this was actually advertised more than on a website. Target really needs to streamline...it's ridiculous.

Thanks OP!!
I wonder if the 2 coupons can be stacked. That's 40% off destiny

I wonder if this Destiny deal stacks with the normal Target pre-order card.

$60 

$40 after $20 Ghost TIV

$28 after $12 off for 20% discount

$24 after $5 preorder card for $1

Total (including card): $24

Anybody know on this?

Kind of wishing I hadn't thrown away all the pre-order cards I purchased during the target $15 off $40 promo a month or two back.  :wall:

$60
$40 after $20 Ghost TIV
$28 after $12 off for 20% discount
$24 after $5 preorder card for $1

Total (including card): $24

Anybody know on this?

Kind of wishing I hadn't thrown away all the pre-order cards I purchased during the target $15 off $40 promo a month or two back. :wall:
The 5$ gift card for pre ordering doesn't come off the total , you receive that after finishing the transaction and can't put it towards the game . Other than that yes that's how the price will break down .

Yes, it does. I picked up two yesterday. The cards say something about not selling them within 7 days prior to the games release, but the dude in Mobile found it for me and the cashier rang it up. My first time using a Target pre-order card. Kind of amazed they have the balls to keep the $1 (so you only really get $4 benefit once you have the $5 gift card spent).

EDIT: and what Kevlar338 said above.

FYI, I went to target last night and they said that I can't swap an Xbox version card for the Ps version. Make sure you buy a card there for the console you are buying to get that $5 giftcard

The 5$ gift card for pre ordering doesn't come off the total , you receive that after finishing the transaction and can't put it towards the game . Other than that yes that's how the price will break down .
I don't understand what you're saying here.... Do you mean that if you buy the pre-order card during the same transaction that you can't apply the $5 to the pre-order? If so buying the card then the game should handle that issue, I would think.

I don't understand what you're saying here.... Do you mean that if you buy the pre-order card during the same transaction that you can't apply the $5 to the pre-order? If so buying the card then the game should handle that issue, I would think.
You buy the card for $1. This "reserves" the game at Target. When you come to pick up the game, you present the card as you pay. You will pay full price for the game (or 20% off if you have a coupon) and then you will receive a $5 Target gift card to take home with you. You could use it right there on another purchase (i.e. for an extra controller or something) but you can't put it towards the game you pre-ordered.

So it looks like Target will be the best store to get Destiny

$20 TIV for those FPS/AC games that most of us own
20% off Destiny
$5 gc with $1 pre-order card
Plus free Cokes according to next week's ad.

I was going to pre-order at Best Buy for the shirt, but I won't be able to attend the midnight release. Plus I don't have any BB gift cards

You buy the card for $1. This "reserves" the game at Target. When you come to pick up the game, you present the card as you pay. You will pay full price for the game (or 20% off if you have a coupon) and then you will receive a $5 Target gift card to take home with you. You could use it right there on another purchase (i.e. for an extra controller or something) but you can't put it towards the game you pre-ordered.
Oh, gotcha. That's a bit disappointing--I didn't realize they just gave you a GC rather than taking it off the order.

They do that so you spend more in the store. And why would you be disappointed? It is obviously the best deal for Destiny after the trade!
Yeah, but it's just not as good as it would be if it were less down. $5 at Target doesn't get me much until the next PM+card scam. It's not bad, it's just not as good as it could have been.

You can get a cashier to apply the GC immediately, I did this when Black Flag on PS4 launched (along with the B2G1 and 30% promo....oh what a deal!)

Yes, it does. I picked up two yesterday. The cards say something about not selling them within 7 days prior to the games release, but the dude in Mobile found it for me and the cashier rang it up. My first time using a Target pre-order card. Kind of amazed they have the balls to keep the $1 (so you only really get $4 benefit once you have the $5 gift card spent).

EDIT: and what Kevlar338 said above.
I know, the balls on them for giving you $4 for a guaranteed copy of the game

It's not guaranteed. Target doesn't take your info or anything when you pre-order a game. It's quite possible for you to go in with the pre-order card and find that they're OOS and you're out the $1 you spent on the card (unless you get a raincheck or something.)

It's not guaranteed. Target doesn't take your info or anything when you pre-order a game. It's quite possible for you to go in with the pre-order card and find that they're OOS and you're out the $1 you spent on the card (unless you get a raincheck or something.)
Have you ever had this happen? I'm pretty sure they set aside in the back however many games for as many reservation cards they sold so that this situation doesn't happen.

Have you ever had this happen? I'm pretty sure they set aside in the back however many games for as many reservation cards they sold so that this situation doesn't happen.
I haven't had it happen, but I really doubt they use pre-order cards to set stock levels like that. They certainly don't have a way to hold copies based on the pre-order cards since they don't have any info to hold with; if a game for some reason sells like crazy and they run out then you're out of luck.

I'm not saying it's likely for them to run out of a big release game that they have pre-order cards for, but still...my original point is valid in that there's absolutely nothing about buying a pre-order card that guarantees you'll get a game copy. The card is nothing more than a "get $5 off the game when it comes out" marketing tool.

I haven't had it happen, but I really doubt they use pre-order cards to set stock levels like that. They certainly don't have a way to hold copies based on the pre-order cards since they don't have any info to hold with; if a game for some reason sells like crazy and they run out then you're out of luck.

I'm not saying it's likely for them to run out of a big release game that they have pre-order cards for, but still...my original point is valid in that there's absolutely nothing about buying a pre-order card that guarantees you'll get a game copy. The card is nothing more than a "get $5 off the game when it comes out" marketing tool.
It's not even $5 off the game, because you get a $5 giftcard after you buy the game and it can't be applied to the purchase.

It's not even $5 off the game, because you get a $5 giftcard after you buy the game and it can't be applied to the purchase.
Somebody earlier in the thread said they got the cashier to apply it to the purchase price, so YMMV on that. Alternatively you could potentially take the receipt to guest services and see if you can get the $5 back using the card they gave you.

I get what you're saying - but please give me an example of a company that actually charges you to pre-order? GameStop - in all of their evil ways - requires a pre-order payment (typically $5) and that applies (in its entirety) to your purchase of the game. Hence my complaint against Target. Yes, they give you a gift certificate (often, so does Amazon - without losing a down payment)...but it isn't like $4 (locked to their store) is this huge benefit.

I was just shocked. Goes against what I have long understood as standard practice for pre-orders on video games. Also - it's in the fine print. Bad on me for not reading it, but I made an assumption due to how pre-orders work, in general.

You can get a refund on your $1. :)

those reservation cards basically tells the store your pre ordering from how many more they should order. that's why those reservation cards have to be removed a week before To ensure enough time to receive the shipment.

regardless theres going to be plenty of copies of destiny.

Do you work for target? Because I do, electronics only for 2+ years. We keep the number of preorders in the hold drawer and DO NOT sell them for the week the customers are guaranteed their game. Feel smart now?

Edit: the only possible fly in the ointment which I will concede is guests picking up their games and using their preorder cards at a store that is not the one they preordered the game at (the system will allow it)

At my store, we're trained to look at the name of the store on the back of the preorder card (it is printed there in small print on most of them) and if the game is low stock, not allow people with cards not matching the store to pick up the game

Edit #2: Ok, so I guess we've stopped printing the store I.D on the game preorder card. All mine from last year had it but the 9 I have (many duplicates because of COD deals, buy 3 preorders for a buck, etc..) don't so unless it's a computer prompt, we no longer keep track of it..I wasn't there for the madden release this year or anything really recently. Still, the number of guests picking up at the wrong store is probably ~5%

I get what you're saying - but please give me an example of a company that actually charges you to pre-order? GameStop - in all of their evil ways - requires a pre-order payment (typically $5) and that applies (in its entirety) to your purchase of the game. Hence my complaint against Target. Yes, they give you a gift certificate (often, so does Amazon - without losing a down payment)...but it isn't like $4 (locked to their store) is this huge benefit.

I was just shocked. Goes against what I have long understood as standard practice for pre-orders on video games. Also - it's in the fine print. Bad on me for not reading it, but I made an assumption due to how pre-orders work, in general.

You can get a refund on your $1. :)
I explain it to every guest who preorders..most good electronics team members do too

why does your company keep doing this retarded buy-game-get-$20-off-with-preorder promo, when its so ripe to abuse with PMs

I mean I understand doing it once and after people abuse the hell out of it thinking "Whoah... that was dumb!" and figuring out a better way, but this is gonna be like the SIXTH week Target has done the deal.  Its like watching a company try to commit suicide and stabbing itself with a dull fork.

why does your company keep doing this retarded buy-game-get-$20-off-with-preorder promo, when its so ripe to abuse with PMs

I mean I understand doing it once and after people abuse the hell out of it thinking "Whoah... that was dumb!" and figuring out a better way, but this is gonna be like the SIXTH week Target has done the deal. Its like watching a company try to commit suicide and stabbing itself with a dull fork.
Because it gets people in the store in hopes of them buying other stuff. It's clearly working for them or we wouldn't be seeing this so much. Look at all the times people post saying "Just grab(bed) some filler stuff if you want to pricematch and get the promo".

I mean I understand doing it once and after people abuse the hell out of it thinking "Whoah... that was dumb!" and figuring out a better way, but this is gonna be like the SIXTH week Target has done the deal. Its like watching a company try to commit suicide and stabbing itself with a dull fork.
Target makes lots of money every single day. Do you think that some losers "scoring" Ghosts for $6 can significantly hurt them? Lol if so

P.s. $20 off is not suppose to stack with price matches...

"Item exclusions:

Items part of movie/game reservation card promotion."

Because it gets people in the store in hopes of them buying other stuff. It's clearly working for them or we wouldn't be seeing this so much. Look at all the times people post saying "Just grab(bed) some filler stuff if you want to pricematch and get the promo".
^ probably this. It also depends on the area as to if people are going to abuse it. I'm the only one doing it at my store to my knowledge (I ask all the other team members to keep me updated) but I limit myself to one copy per guest services person. I work in a relatively affluent residential area. The target nearer GA 400 and the mall area was cleaned out almost entirely by one guy whose team member friend let him pm + reserve card more than 15 copies, IN electronics. I do most pms for guests in electronics if I surmise their intentions are legit and have never been reprimanded for management for doing so (sometimes north of $50) but I can't see how that guy wasn't investigated. He practically bragged to me about it

^ probably this. It also depends on the area as to if people are going to abuse it. I'm the only one doing it at my store to my knowledge (I ask all the other team members to keep me updated) but I limit myself to one copy per guest services person. I work in a relatively affluent residential area. The target nearer GA 400 and the mall area was cleaned out almost entirely by one guy whose team member friend let him pm + reserve card more than 15 copies, IN electronics. I do most pms for guests in electronics if I surmise their intentions are legit and have never been reprimanded for management for doing so (sometimes north of $50) but I can't see how that guy wasn't investigated. He practically bragged to me about it

Target makes lots of money every single day. Do you think that some losers "scoring" Ghosts for $6 can significantly hurt them? Lol if so

"Item exclusions:

There's a couple people around here that just won't admit they're wrong and try to say that that only applies to other retailers.

"Item exclusions:
This too. Why I don't approach guest services members and attempt to milk it. Do it in good faith or go to a few more stores, it isn't going to kill you

So I called a local Target and the first said they ran out of preorder cards. I called another and they said basically that the other store didn't know what they were talking about, and he would take care of the promo. Now the interesting part is he mentioned there is a cartwheel promo that will combine for another 10% off for the first 20,000 people that add the coupon (when the game launches). He read it from a paper in front of him. Now I can't verify because it was over the phone but the guy sounded confident that he knew what he was talking about. I'm going to breakfast and then hitting up Target with my trade in/preorder and I'll check back in.

Where I'm at in GA you're lucky if you can even get the "target mobile" people in the damn store to trade anything in.

So I called a local Target and the first said they ran out of preorder cards. I called another and they said basically that the other store didn't know what they were talking about, and he would take care of the promo. Now the interesting part is he mentioned there is a cartwheel promo that will combine for another 10% off for the first 20,000 people that add the coupon (when the game launches). He read it from a paper in front of him. Now I can't verify because it was over the phone but the guy sounded confident that he knew what he was talking about. I'm going to breakfast and then hitting up Target with my trade in/preorder and I'll check back in.
Pre order cards cause are suppose to be removed 7 days before the game is released... Some store might still have them out but their not suppose to. Also I can also confirm the 10% cartwheel.

bread's done
Back