Target: Switch Zelda: Link's Awakening Buy 1 Get 1 Free + $10 giftcard

postaboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
Saw this at Slickdeals. Apparently Target sent an email to their customers about this Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Zelda Link's Awakening or any Switch games plus you get a $10 giftcard as well so check your email if you got one.

In-store only.

Note: Reports on slickdeals you can also do this too with an online chat rep.

8411059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile I am still waiting for dragon quest to ship
A good number of stores around me have it for pickup. I suggest getting on chat and asking to change to pickup. If they say no then ask if they can make a new order for pickup and cancel the old one. Before you do it, tell them you had a discount and would like to keep it.

Worked for me very well for me

Are all of you enjoying Link's awakening? Its funny how much i had been anticipating this game but the universe decided against me playing it. 

I was wondering people's thoughts on Zelda too. I was thinking of swapping mine out for another game , maybe Fire Emblem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm loving it! I've only played Wind Waker (which is an amazing game) before so didn't have much expectations for another Zelda game. I wasn't even going to play it yet since I have such a big backlog but decided I needed a simple game.

Anyways, started playing it and instantly fell in love with it. Love the art style, simple gameplay, puzzles aren't too challenging but still fun to do and all the hidden and mini things to do next to the main story.

I'm bad since I'm also watching a walkthrough as I play but mainly because I'm missing things along the way. Certain things I'm like "that can't be it, too obvious" and yet it is so the walkthrough helps with the obvious things I'm missing.

Either way, get this game, it's a must have.

I'm loving it! I've only played Wind Waker (which is an amazing game) before so didn't have much expectations for another Zelda game. I wasn't even going to play it yet since I have such a big backlog but decided I needed a simple game.

Anyways, started playing it and instantly fell in love with it. Love the art style, simple gameplay, puzzles aren't too challenging but still fun to do and all the hidden and mini things to do next to the main story.

I'm bad since I'm also watching a walkthrough as I play but mainly because I'm missing things along the way. Certain things I'm like "that can't be it, too obvious" and yet it is so the walkthrough helps with the obvious things I'm missing.

Either way, get this game, it's a must have.
Good to hear. Thanks for the response. I avoided link between worlds for so long because I thought I wouldn't like it. I bought it on a buy 2 get 1 3ds deal and was so hooked. Loved every moment of it:)

I think I am supposed to finish my tetris effect platinum and then links awakening will fall into my lap:) Looking forward to it

I'm only torn because of the length and because I've played it multiple times already lol. Going to sit in it and decide

I'm only torn because of the length and because I've played it multiple times already lol. Going to sit in it and decide
How long is it supposed to be? I never played it before so maybe I'm just slow with it (that and I'm getting all the collectibles and side missions) but I think I've played a good 15 hours so far. Just finished the 4th level so 1 more and I'm finished (unless there is more) but I think it's a good time for such a game.

How long is it supposed to be? I never played it before so maybe I'm just slow with it (that and I'm getting all the collectibles and side missions) but I think I've played a good 15 hours so far. Just finished the 4th level so 1 more and I'm finished (unless there is more) but I think it's a good time for such a game.
You are only about halfway through.

Jeez. The last time I played through the DX version on the 3DS I 100% completed it in, like, 12ish hours. Is this new one longer? I thought they were essential identical for content? 

I still haven't opened LA and am almost thinking about exchanging it for DQ XI, as I've started playing the demo and really like it so far. To anyone who's played both, which do you think is better and has best overall replayability?

I still haven't opened LA and am almost thinking about exchanging it for DQ XI, as I've started playing the demo and really like it so far. To anyone who's played both, which do you think is better and has best overall replayability?
That's a question that only you can answer. They are radically different games. What genres and series are you more into? Have you played the original LA? Do you have access to another version of DQ XI, specifically the PC version, (outside of the portability and added content, this one is far and away the worst version). Do you understand and place value on technical aspects of a game (again looking at DQ XI on the Switch). Is the length of the game important to you? Etc etc. Only you know what you're into and what you care about. This isn't a comparison of a turd and a diamond, so it's not going to be black and white.

Jeez. The last time I played through the DX version on the 3DS I 100% completed it in, like, 12ish hours. Is this new one longer? I thought they were essential identical for content?
Sounds like you might be well-versed in LA. There main game is essentially identical, but there is some side stuff that is updated like Dampe's dungeon maker... a buddy of mine really enjoyed that and easily bogged down multiple hours just fixated on that. Glad to see people enjoying the game and not blazing through it as there is so much joy packed into that game.

FWIW - I've played LA multiple times and the magic was still there with this entry. Couldn't put it down last weekend and wound up finishing it off last Sunday. This is a must-own game.

Never played the original but just reading up on the main differences.

* Dungeon Builder: You can make your own dungeons but there are also custom dungeon challenges to complete too.
* Original game had 26 hidden seashells, Switch version has 50.
* Crane game has more dolls to collect and place in town.
* There is more items to trade for a hidden item.
* Depending on the difficulty you pick, could increase the time it takes to beat the game.

https://www.polygon.com/nintendo/2019/9/12/20861426/zelda-links-awakening-nintendo-remake-switch-game-boy-differences

Never played the original but just reading up on the main differences.

* Dungeon Builder: You can make your own dungeons but there are also custom dungeon challenges to complete too.
* Original game had 26 hidden seashells, Switch version has 50.
* Crane game has more dolls to collect and place in town.
* There is more items to trade for a hidden item.
* Depending on the difficulty you pick, could increase the time it takes to beat the game.

https://www.polygon.com/nintendo/2019/9/12/20861426/zelda-links-awakening-nintendo-remake-switch-game-boy-differences
That sounds like a great amount of new content. It's enough to make it a longer experience than 20+ year old Game Boy game, but not enough to make it bloated and kill the pacing.

The Shadow Link addition to the Dungeon Builder if you buy the LA Amiibo is kind of cool too. Probably the first Amiibo I’ve bought purely because of a gameplay feature.

I played Zelda around 12 hours and couldn't wait to just finally man up and say enough. First, the frame-rate is awful. It's bad. People can downplay it if they're not sensitive to it, but it's bad. 30fps to 60fps and down to 30fps and back to 60fps. It's bad.

The dungeons are just not that fun. The running and jumping is fiddly and sometimes jumping doesn't respond if you press it too late before the edge of a platform. The combat isn't particularly fun once you've run through the same area for the nth time. Also, the game is obtuse af at times. Looking for someone you've seen before? Oh, she's gone off somewhere. So then you spend ages just scouring the map till you find said person. Just... this game rubbed me the wrong way. So I quit after dungeon 6, because I felt like I was playing it because I spent money on it, and for no other reasons. It's a dated game, but nostalgia is powerful. It's really hilariously dated by today's standards in so, so many ways. 

Going to play Ori and the Blind Forest again instead. I beat that on XBOX and it's one of the best titles you'll play on Switch. And it's 60fps. Solid. 

Well, here's my take on the Link's Awakening remake:

I played the original GB release more times than I can count when I was growing up and recall being able to do a 100% run solely from memory.  I believe that I played the DX version once when I got it as a Club Nintendo freebie for the 3DS.  With that in mind, I had no problem picking up the Switch remake, if for nothing else than the updated presentation and quality of life improvements. 

I've now completed all of the dungeons and have been scouring the world for the missing shells, pieces of heart, etc...before finally tackling the final boss.  Since I had been quite familiar with the game all those years ago, I figured that Hero Mode would be right up my alley.  While the first couple of dungeons led to a couple of deaths each, since dungeon #3 I've basically fallen in to rhythm and have been able to advance like a normal mode playthrough.  The 1:1 quality of the remake has not been problematic, as its been at least 5 years since I last played it and the mixture of nostalgia and 're-remembering' have felt like a healthy balance.  I'd have to wager that it's taken me a good 10-12 hours to get to this point, and I've still got at least a couple more before this playthrough is complete. 

Overall, I feel that the game was a worthwhile purchase for $60 (BestBuy GCU on the Dreamer's Edition) and that the performance issues (lowered framerate, etc.) were vastly overblown by the internet community.  I can see myself picking up and playing this title a couple more times throughout my Switch's lifetime and I'm sure my 10-year old son will want to do a run, too. 

Had I not purchased the USA special edition, I would have been all over getting a copy of the game for $30 with the Target 'glitch.'  However, getting four highly-anticipated preorders for $30 each was just as delicious and certainly makes my wallet happier this fall. 

I haven't yet received my copy of LA. That fuzziness around the screen edges that I've seen in all videos, is there any ability to turn that off or on, or is that fixed. It doesn't really do much for me...

I haven't yet received my copy of LA. That fuzziness around the screen edges that I've seen in all videos, is there any ability to turn that off or on, or is that fixed. It doesn't really do much for me...
You can't turn it off, and yes, it's annoying. It gives things a bit of a tilt-shift look, which, while stylish for still images, is incredibly annoying in a video game that you play for 15 hours.

I cannot fathom love for this remake - and I'm telling you the original is just a better game (even with some of the issues that carry over between the two).

Are all of you enjoying Link's awakening? Its funny how much i had been anticipating this game but the universe decided against me playing it.
Same here... had the game for like a week and even bought a Switch to play it. Haven't even opened the game yet.

I had never played Link’s Awakening. I just finished tonight, it took a few days to complete; I’m not sure the number of hours.

Overall I thought it was a great game. The game looked fantastic. I played 95% of the time in handheld mode. But did play a bit I’m docked and it looked amazing. I didn’t notice frame rate drops (I’m not saying there aren’t any, but I’m not one to notice in any game), so that has no impact on my experience and I feel anyone complaining about it really just has a stick shoved somewhere.

Most of the puzzles were great and made for an enjoyable experience. The later dungeons took awhile to complete because the puzzles seemed to go back and forth between rooms which was a nuisance. In the last real dungeon the pathway puzzles were a struggle with the joy cons; I had much more luck with a pro controller on those.

The map seemed enormous at the beginning, but is relatively small. Traversing it late in the game seemed like a chore with the birds dropping bombs on regular intervals.

It offers a number of mini games and collectible items to keep the player entertained. I explored every area, but just wasn’t interested in collecting all of the seashells or hearts; still a great addition for most.

While I had a great time playing the game, I don’t think it’s worth the $60. It was probably a 12-17 hour game and I would value it at $40.

I played DQ XI on the PS4 and it was a fantastic experience. I haven’t played it on the switch, so I’m not sure how it performs, but it easily has 60-100 hours of content which makes the $60 price tag more palatable.

Definitely enjoying it overall so far but...yes the dreaded issue...

The framerate, while on my TV...is so bad it actually gives me motion sickness.  That is SUPER rare to happen to me, only in the worst of the worst offenders.  In handheld mode it's certainly still there, but it's much less noticeable since it's jerking around in your hands anyway.  Not only is it as bad as I had read in reviews, I'd say it's WORSE.  And I'm the type of person who usually doesn't mind a slightly worse framerate in exchange for better graphics (I have plenty of friends who are the opposite).  I always choose the "better graphics" mode on my X1X and I always push things to the limit on my PC.  With the framerate, to each their own, and I know a lot of people might not even notice it much or even care...but to deny it's there or to try to blast others for pointing it out is a bit crazy.

Otherwise it's a SUPER cute and charming game.  The length isn't an issue since I'm a gamer Dad, so if anything it's the perfect length.  Controls aren't exactly perfect but I understand they were trying to replicate the original 1:1 as much as possible.  I'd still recommend it, but I'm not sure the last time I was so shocked at a Nintendo game being released in such a state with the framerate issues.

This reviews have me interested but I'll probably pick up later. I was going to do a swap to keep DQ and fire emblem but I think I'll do astral and fire emblem for variety. I have so many RPGs lol

I just did a no receipt return of my copy of Astral Chain at Walmart. The customer service rep had to pull the manager and it was at their discretion. They scanned my ID and I signed for it. I've rarely done it before if ever. I imagine they'd catch on if you tried to abuse the system.

I tried at my local Best Buy and they said they couldn't. I even tried to do an immediate exchange but they still wouldn't. Which is a shame cause I would have liked to get Collection of Mana (not in Target or Walmart). 

Anyway, I got a $50 walmart GC which I plan on using for a future game deal.

I just did a no receipt return of my copy of Astral Chain at Walmart. The customer service rep had to pull the manager and it was at their discretion. They scanned my ID and I signed for it. I've rarely done it before if ever. I imagine they'd catch on if you tried to abuse the system.

I tried at my local Best Buy and they said they couldn't. I even tried to do an immediate exchange but they still wouldn't. Which is a shame cause I would have liked to get Collection of Mana (not in Target or Walmart).

Anyway, I got a $50 walmart GC which I plan on using for a future game deal.
It usually goes unnoticed until you hit like $75 (depends on state?). Then the state can be notified and you will be monitored more closely to see if you keep abusing this. There is a reason they have to get your driver's license.

Before anyone else keeps thinking this is a good idea, you could get in legal trouble for doing this. Make smart decisions.

You guys got a free game from Target, why take this to an extra level of scummy?

I imagine they'd catch on if you tried to abuse the system.
Yes they do. I forget what the limit is, but it used to be like two returns without receipt per year or per 6mo or something. I'm sure it's on their website somewhere. And yeah, there's the whole return fraud thing and Walmart will ban you on top of that for ever returning anything without a receipt. I've done it sparingly but only for items I legit bought at walmart and wanted to return because of buyers remorse or something and I didn't have the receipt or knew it was going to be past the return window for having the receipt.

It usually goes unnoticed until you hit like $75 (depends on state?). Then the state can be notified and you will be monitored more closely to see if you keep abusing this. There is a reason they have to get your driver's license.

Before anyone else keeps thinking this is a good idea, you could get in legal trouble for doing this. Make smart decisions.

You guys got a free game from Target, why take this to an extra level of scummy?
Why do you care what they are doing. Let them bee.

Lol this is still going? Target is such a pushover. ;)

Won't get around to the game for a while but got it mainly for the new aesthetic. Wasn't a fan of it on GB back in the day, mainly because I always got stuck at a certain point early on; just couldn't figure out how to progress and didn't have internet back then to figure it out. I have to wonder if the same thing would happen now lol, but I've played most older gen Zelda games and that was the only one so must've just been poor quest design.

Yeah I actually didn't know it was such a big deal. I mean I can understand abusing a situation but I figured once or twice would be okay

Some people are actually not aware. I only know of one person on this site that purposefully does it all the time (or at least brags about it)
Sorry, thanks for the tip.

Like I said, I don't do this normally and did not intend to defraud anyone. I just went to Walmart and asked if I could turn the game in without a receipt for either store credit or exhange for a different game. And they said ok.

bread's done
Back