Target Trade-In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockabye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(Apologies in advance if this is threaded elsewhere; a couple searches turned up nothing.)

I had no idea that Target accepted trade-ins of electronics, games included, before today, but I swung by my local Target and saw an ad in the story (that I neglected to snap a pic of) and then looked it up online.

Lo and behold, there's a Target trade-in program. The interface is clunky, and not gonna yield TIVs all that easily, but it appears that Target accepts 360, PS3, Wii U, Wii, Xbox, PS2, PS, DS, Vita, and PSP games -- because the program's powered by NextWorth (much more searchable interface, FYI), which buys the games.

You're not going to get a lot for them, especially the older games (I nosed around a little), but this might well be a sign that Target actually wants to compete in the secondary market. And, if this is important, you apparently are getting cash, not credit, for the games.

I have a small stack worth about $80, but I'm bummed that the majority of my junk is an off-year from the high trade stuff.  :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I guess i was lucky that last year I got into collecting PS1 games and had a lot of doubles.

It hurt to trade in some of those longboxes but for ~$20 each it was worth it. I don't even have a place to display them now so they're just in a box in the closet.

You guys are going to "Micro Center/Half.com" this thing. :) What is the other program(s) I'm missing?

Wow. This is crazy. I wish I had some of those PS1, PS2 games that are going for a lot. I might take a trip to my Gamestop and pick up some of those PS2 games and try trading them in. I wish there was a store around me with PS1 games.

So how good of a deal is the Black Friday PS3 bundle for $200?  Or would I be better getting a repack Epic Mickey 2 move bundle for $210 and selling off the move stuff/game?

(I have $250 in GCs left after getting groceries)

I better sniff out some DVDs as I unloaded like 60 more games.

Yeah I can't resist "$10 for this entire box full of junk PS1 games" type of flea market deals. Wish they took SNES and Genesis games too.

Thanks. I got an extra $13 cause of that link! Got rid of a bunch of junk PS1 and PS2 games and old DVDs and will hopefully get ~$140.

Wow. This is crazy. I wish I had some of those PS1, PS2 games that are going for a lot. I might take a trip to my Gamestop and pick up some of those PS2 games and try trading them in. I wish there was a store around me with PS1 games.
What PS2 games are you guys talking about? Everything I check is $2 or less.

What PS2 games are you guys talking about? Everything I check is $2 or less.
Values after 10% bonus.

Gamecube

Harry Potter 4 -$4.77

Simpsons Hit and Run - $3.27

Wii

Klonoa - $5.50

PS2

King Kong - $4.63

SSX Tricky - $6.87

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy - $6.94

PS1

A Bug's Life - $8.78

Harry Potter 1 - $11.44

Rampage 2 - $14.64

$20 seems to be the max value for any game/movie ($22 after bonus) when I was browsing through it.

Hmm, OK.  I might have SSX Tricky.  I'd have to pull my PS2 stuff out of whatever tote I have them stored in and just check them all out I guess and that is probably not worth the trouble for $5 or $6.  If there were some worth $20 in there that would be different I guess.

I cleared out a lot of Gamecube and even GBA games when Amazon had a bunch at $30 several months back.  That was nice.

Sure hope they don't reject this one game over the sticker residue on the back, whoever came up with putting store stickers directly on used games should be shot.

Haha, Wow. Donkey Konga with the Bongos nets 1.33, but without the Bongos nets 5.19....
Yeah, no one wants those large plastic pieces anymore because they don't sell and take up space that more valuable inventory could be using.

Edit- I just realized that these packages are going to the same address that processes Amazon's trade program. Hopefully that means that it's the same people and they'll have the same standards since I've never had a problem with them before.

Edit- I just realized that these packages are going to the same address that processes Amazon's trade program. Hopefully that means that it's the same people and they'll have the same standards since I've never had a problem with them before.
I just opted to take mine into the store instead of risking getting my games getting rejected after sending them in. I ended up with $103 today, despite having two turned down, but I'm buffing the shit out of them tonight and taking them back tomorrow for the extra $20.

So I went through a bunch of my old stuff and it looks like it'll come out to ~$130.

Just a few questions:

So based off what I've read, I need to go to the guy running the mobile area? Or just the electronics associate?

For those that have traded already, how picky are they on scratched discs? Do they even look?

Also on the note of scratched discs, any recommendations on buffing discs out at home? I'm not really enthralled about taking some of the discs to get buffed out somewhere.

Thanks.

Just checking out some random games and I noticed they're paying $7.xx for Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition on Xbox non-platinum hits. Some PSP games also go for over $6.xx. My Japanese Coach for DS also nets $6.50. Not sure if this is with the 10% extra from the link earlier in the thread or if that comes in later, but this may be a good way for me to get rid of extra stuff on my tradelist that will never go. Might just do this to get myself a free game when the next gen stuff comes out.

Do you mind mentioning which PSP games?  I was going through those for the GS trade-in promo ($3 bonus on $2 and up games) and nearly all the PSP stuff is worth less than $2.  That is one system that has just not held its value compared to most.

I just spot checked about 20 different games that I wouldn't mind getting rid of and all but one was under $1 (with most being around 30 cents).  The other one was a whopping $1.12.  And that was with the no scratches, complete options selected - I'd hate to see what they give if they are scratched and not complete.  Even with GS's regular trade values without the bonus promo I'd probably get more there.  But it simply isn't worth trading any of them for less than $1.  I'd rather keep them on the off chance that some day down the road one of my kids might play them on a whim than get $20-$30 for 40-50 games...

So I went through a bunch of my old stuff and it looks like it'll come out to ~$130.

Just a few questions:

So based off what I've read, I need to go to the guy running the mobile area? Or just the electronics associate?

For those that have traded already, how picky are they on scratched discs? Do they even look?

Also on the note of scratched discs, any recommendations on buffing discs out at home? I'm not really enthralled about taking some of the discs to get buffed out somewhere.

Thanks.
Mobile person is the only one that can do it. (they use their mobile kiosk/computer)

Also, regarding the scratched discs the one guy I did a trade with didn't give a crap and even said so.

The woman I traded in with at a different store checked every one, and almost didn't take some because they had stickers on the case from a used game store.

Do you mind mentioning which PSP games? I was going through those for the GS trade-in promo ($3 bonus on $2 and up games) and nearly all the PSP stuff is worth less than $2. That is one system that has just not held its value compared to most.
It was Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi Tag Team $9.44 & Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5 $6.79

Not bad, I guess. I don't know what they go for otherwise, though. I wish there was one place to plug in titles and it would give you tiv's from all the major spots.

It was Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi Tag Team $9.44 & Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5 $6.79

Not bad, I guess. I don't know what they go for otherwise, though. I wish there was one place to plug in titles and it would give you tiv's from all the major spots.
Ah, those are outliers. The lowest the DBZ game is listed for on eBay is $32 shipped. The other one is $20. So I can see where they get the slightly higher trade-in value for those.

However, the NextWorth prices are better than Amazon where they are just over $5 each. On the other hand, those two together puts you over $10 and would get you the $10 credit for certain preorders (which includes pretty much everything coming out this fall current and next gen). So you may want to look into that. You'd end up with $21-$22 towards a new release which isn't bad if you were going to get one of them anyway.

I just opted to take mine into the store instead of risking getting my games getting rejected after sending them in. I ended up with $103 today, despite having two turned down, but I'm buffing the shit out of them tonight and taking them back tomorrow for the extra $20.
While the mobile employee is likely one of the more competent in the store I still feel better sending my stuff off than taking into Target personally.

While the mobile employee is likely one of the more competent in the store I still feel better sending my stuff off than taking into Target personally.
Not saying you're wrong, but I almost feel the opposite. I always hear horror stories of these types of companies, in general, who get pretty shady with their accepting trade-ins. "Oh, the price dropped? Lets find an excuse to deny this one so we don't have to pay out". With a human in a store, assuming they aren't Nazis about disc condition (I mean, cmon, it says cracked or BADLY scratched. No need to gripe about some stickers or light scratches), then its in the door out the door, giftcard in hand.

That said, I understand why you'd do it the other way. Plus the %10 bonus, plus you can cashout via paypal instead of stupid target cards. :whistle2:/

Not saying you're wrong, but I almost feel the opposite. I always hear horror stories of these types of companies, in general, who get pretty shady with their accepting trade-ins. "Oh, the price dropped? Lets find an excuse to deny this one so we don't have to pay out". With a human in a store, assuming they aren't Nazis about disc condition (I mean, cmon, it says cracked or BADLY scratched. No need to gripe about some stickers or light scratches), then its in the door out the door, giftcard in hand.

That said, I understand why you'd do it the other way. Plus the %10 bonus, plus you can cashout via paypal instead of stupid target cards. :whistle2:/
Yeah, pros and cons either way. Like I mentioned it makes me feel a little better that it's the same company that's been handling Amazons trades for a while now (haven't dealt with their new one yet) and haven't run into an issue yet, fingers crossed.

I assume if the game isn't listed on the Nextworth site, then chances are highly likely that they won't accept the game in-store as they won't even be able to look it up?

I assume if the game isn't listed on the Nextworth site, then chances are highly likely that they won't accept the game in-store as they won't even be able to look it up?
From my experience, that is correct. If they can't find it in the system, they can't click the "add to cart" button to give you money for it. Keep in mind that the search is picky, and some DoubleWords need to be spaced out or put together, sometimes the 2 is II, try including or excluding the - and ' in words, leave out words like THE. That may not apply to the game you're searching for, but something to keep in mind.

Edit: And when in store, if you know the game is in their system (because you successfully searched it on their website) you may have to PROMPT the store clerk to find it correctly. I had a few trades that he couldn't find, and he was going to reject them for not in system until I helped correct his search technique. :whistle2:/

What exactly does it mean by BADLY scratched? I mean, these discs were prone to getting scratches just by looking at the bottom of the disc. I don't want to have to send off all of my games that I know are still playable but are deemed, BADLY scratched and then returned to me.

What exactly does it mean by BADLY scratched? I mean, these discs were prone to getting scratches just by looking at the bottom of the disc. I don't want to have to send off all of my games that I know are still playable but are deemed, BADLY scratched and then returned to me.
Exactly why i take my games in-store. Instant money. and If you need $$$ buy a Visa pre-paid debit card out of Target, by the registers

For the packing slip can I just use the one that printed off with the shipping label or do I need one for each game. Also the shipping label is for a 1 lb and my items are like 2 lb. sorry but never traded to nextworth and thanks in advance to whoever helps me out.

This is what I traded in today (all original Xbox).  The manager of Target Mobile was amazed by the trade prices (I'm still amazed myself...)

Conker: Live & Reloaded $13.85

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind GOTY $11.40

Jade Empire LE $11.90

Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast $14.96

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War $11.18

The Thing $11.91

Voodoo Vince $7.43

This is what I traded in today (all original Xbox). The manager of Target Mobile was amazed by the trade prices (I'm still amazed myself...)

Conker: Live & Reloaded $13.85

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind GOTY $11.40

Jade Empire LE $11.90

Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast $14.96

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War $11.18

The Thing $11.91

Voodoo Vince $7.43
I can't believe you traded in Conker for that price...

Wondering If I should trade in these dot Hack games for around $16-20 each. The Amazon prices are high but the gamestop prices aren't. How rare are these games never played them brother left them when he moved out.

Just got back, lady was awesome! Didn't even check discs. Going back tomorrow with more!
All ps1-
Twisted metal - 20
Wipeout 3 - 10.93
Jurassic park lost world -20
Star Trek invasion - 17.51
Battletanx - 7.15
Planet of the apes - 7.71
Courier crisis - 11.91
Air combat - 9.94 no manual
NHL 2000 - 4.63
Battlestations 8.27
Ace combat 2 - 16 no manual
NASCAR 98 - 3.81
Shadow man - 11.62

I know. I would've given him $20 cash for it.
Didn't really care to keep it as both the instructions & the CD were in fair to good shape. If I had a mint copy, I would have kept it in the collection. I held back from trading Call of Cthulu & Stubbs The Zombie as they were worth more & also something I wanted to still try and play (yes my backlog is goes back multiple console generations). Maybe I misjudged the used market for Conker but I will take my $14 in credit and live to fight another day ;)

Didn't really care to keep it as both the instructions & the CD were in fair to good shape. If I had a mint copy, I would have kept it in the collection. I held back from trading Call of Cthulu & Stubbs The Zombie as they were worth more & also something I wanted to still try and play (yes my backlog is goes back multiple console generations). Maybe I misjudged the used market for Conker but I will take my $14 in credit and live to fight another day ;)
My copy was about as mint as an open game can be, but that's how all my stuff is, but the prices have plummeted so bad on a lot of the stuff I held onto like that. For $18, plus 10% so just about $20 I suppose, I was happy to just get rid of it and all but three of my Xbox games instead of continuing to hold onto it.

Only two games I have that will give me over a dollar is Animal Crossing (Gamecube) and Mario Kart Double Dash. Sigh.

Nice to see this thread picking up. Those ps1 values can't last, guys. I'm long forward to doing some searching around my half price books and other places to find some high value ones for low prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back