Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

Wow, I got one today! I figured I was SOL after the first batch. Kind of a blessing since my desktop seems to be dying right now. I didn't sign up for this on the first day, but I know I signed up a day or two after. Good luck to everyone else!

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Wow, I got one today! I figured I was SOL after the first batch. Kind of a blessing since my desktop seems to be dying right now. I didn't sign up for this on the first day, but I know I signed up a day or two after. Good luck to everyone else![/QUOTE]

haha i was hoping that one for San Mateo (94401) was heading my way. Oh well, enjoy!

[quote name='humidore']haha i was hoping that one for San Mateo (94401) was heading my way. Oh well, enjoy![/QUOTE]I'm 94402, so maybe it still is :D

OMG ONE JUST SHOWED UP WOWWWWWWWWWWWW THANK U OP THANK YOU OP THANK YOU OP and THANKS TO A.GAMER WHO WAS THERE FOR US

I filled out several aplications so, I cant really know which one this came from....it came with some awesome stickers in the box btw!

Posted from my CR-48

[quote name='tardoman']Well, my zip code is no longer on UPS's no delivery list!
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/about/news/service_updates/20110201_weather.html
Maybe, just maybe I'll be getting one in the next few days! A Gamer's tracker showed 2 new ones being shipped to my zip code before he shut it down. Thanks OP and thanks A Gamer![/QUOTE]

I'm still on that list but agamer told me that it did not look like I was getting one. I hope they are wrong.

My mom in law just called to say that I had a package delivered to their house today form UPS...it's 6 lbs and shipped from Louisville, KY! Since the tracker said one was going to their zip before it went down, I'm 99.999999% sure it's a CR-48. Unless some other random company signed me up for something I didn't know about.

Anyways, I'll have it on Sunday since I'm working the rest of the week and they're about 2.5 hours away. Good luck to everyone else!

For those that got one. Did you fill out the form with everything google and web only apps? I know on my application I listed photoshop and some other third party offline apps.

I put everything google, smartphone, and android related. I think photoshop might rule you out since its a Web only computer. Also, don't put you connect from ethernet, cause the CR-48 only has wi-fi, so ethernet might rule you out as well.

I first didn't read it and put all this photoshop and dev. type stuff, after i realized i screwed up, i signed up in my girlfriends name to my address, and ended up receiving one through her name. So, you might want to fill out a few applications with different names (brother/sister/mom/dad, etc), but to the same address to up your chances.

Photoshop does not rule you out. I did about four apps, and put photoshop on all of them. I also put MS Office, WP7, pretty much nothing that was Google or Android related, other than Chrome browser.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']Did anyone notice what the estimated number of units shipped out before the tracker went down?[/QUOTE]
20,069ish

It's almost as if they are putting everybody's applications on a wall and blindly throwing a dart. Wherever the dart lands, that person gets a laptop.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']It's almost as if they are putting everybody's applications on a wall and blindly throwing a dart. Wherever the dart lands, that person gets a laptop.[/QUOTE]
You joke, but I wouldn't put that one past google for a second.

:D I didn't think i would ever get it, but I was woken up by my room mate today telling me I got a package from ups! I'm loving it so far.

Not sure it's helpful still since the tracker is down, but here's my tracking #
1ZY318X90353080041

I still have a package sitting in Ohio (pachislo machine) that was supposed to be here three days ago.

So, until I receive it, I'm holding out hope that the laptop headed to my town is still mine. (Unlikely, at this point...)

My younger sister just got one sent to her dorm, she signed up a long time ago when I signed up the 1st time. That was before the original deadline.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I'm 94402, so maybe it still is :D[/QUOTE]

No dice...i put down i had a Zune on my application, that probably didn't go over too well. Just got an HTC Incredible now though...oh well, im loving the phone!

[quote name='humidore']No dice...i put down i had a Zune on my application, that probably didn't go over too well. Just got an HTC Incredible now though...oh well, im loving the phone![/QUOTE]

I put on mine that I had a Zune, and I got a CR-48 on Friday. A lot of people seem to think that Google isn't selecting anyone who didn't put all Google-Android related products, but judging by the fact that I received one last week, that's not the case. I put that I have a Zune. WP7, I use Photoshop, MS Office, etc. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if they were purposely screening anyone who uses only Google products, because they're trying to test this platform on a diverse group of users. One of the goals seems to be, "Ok, you use MS Office? Well try Google Docs and see how much you can get done." "You use Zune or iTunes? Well, our new Web App store has a music player that can easily pull content off an external HDD...try that!"

And also, I just want to say that there are a lot of people posting in this thread, as well as others that are saying things like "I hope I get one, my laptop is old and about to die!" This CR-48 is in no way meant to be a replacement to your primary PC. It's built on a new, extremely buggy OS, and as Google says on their pilot page, you're more than likely going to want to throw it out the window on several occaisions.

I'm wondering how the systems will be when the OS does come out. Will it be just like the CR-48 or will it actually have a disc drive and HDD.

Anyway for the ones that do have it what do you think of the OS? I have been using Chrome on the one computer I have for a browser. Doesn't seem bad. How close is the OS to the browser?

The OS is the browser. That's pretty much all there is to it. When you turn it on, there's no desktop, no file system, nothing. It just brings you straight into a browser. They have webapps and games, but to do anything, you have to be connected online. There are offline apps, but their functionality is limited, because the entire OS is a beefed up Chrome OS browser, that's it. Unless you're prepared to do some serious hacking and flashing of the hardware, then you won't even be saving anything to the puny HDD the system has.

This OS is meant to be cheap, portable, and extremely fast, which means that when released they'll have small SSDs and no disc drives. There's absolutely no reason for one of these systems to have a disc drive, as you wouldn't even be able to access it through the OS without putting through some hacks.

So far, I love the OS and the system. I'm thinking about using it as a dedicated writing machine. The keyboard is amazing and feels so natural to use. The touchpad is a little quirky, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad. Love the fact that it's cloud-based, and I can save something, walk to any computer in the house, and retrieve it. Google really has something here, and I wouldn't be surprised if this were the future of portable computing, and not tablets.

I really hate how Google advertises this like it's this amazing new OS that they made or whatever. It's a Linux distro that automatically launches their browser on boot. That's all. There are Linux distros like this already.

fuck Google.

wow then I don't really see this being all that big. Hell if I get one chances are I could just keep the thing and not even buy the product when it does come out. I like the sounds of cloud but doesn't windows 7 do that also? From the sounds of things one might as well just get a tab. Hell the droid os sounds like it does more.

[quote name='sendme']wow then I don't really see this being all that big. Hell if I get one chances are I could just keep the thing and not even buy the product when it does come out. I like the sounds of cloud but doesn't windows 7 do that also? From the sounds of things one might as well just get a tab. Hell the droid os sounds like it does more.[/QUOTE]

see this is where I think its not suited to you. Lets look at my old Laptop which I want to replace (Many keys dont work, so I use a usb keyboard). I take online classes mostly so im on Blackboard a lot. This means I dont really need a lot of things. Moving past this lets look at it via my Nook (hacked)

The Chome OS is good for people like me who dont do a lot. I run firefox, BT and messengers. I very rarely open M$ office apps, Photoshop, etc. It might take me 5 or so mins to get to firefox. Now chrome brings us the internet, 3g for 2 years (included with buying if I recall), solid keyboard, and "web apps"

I could easily replace my laptop if I could save images to the HDD as I do game journalism and need to upload images quite often.

Now lets look at my nook, its true that I can do a "lot more" but this is also sorta limited. My main apps are Twiter (when im very bored), Gmail, Mail'd, Firefox, messengers, maybe youtube, news.

Some of the things it can do move past being useful on a computer, like a calendar where as the nook is way more portable. You can look at a lot of tools on Android, but honestly in my opinion most (gaming aside) either make more sense on the android platform, or use browser based/doable things.

Google went looking for me... Besides the emails to various people they figured would know how to find me, they also tweeted that they were looking for me... Which resulted in a deluge of messages from fans everywhere. Thanks. I got the message! :)

Sadly, I will be traveling for the next few months (i.e. death of the tracker), so I had to turn down their offer to send me one (no one home to receive it)... What terrible timing. Just a week or two earlier, and I would have had my own Cr-48. I guess it was not meant to be. :cry:

Kudos to Google for taking the time to look me up. Even though I was unable to accept their offer, the effort was very much appreciated. :applause:

[quote name='A Gamer']Google went looking for me... Besides the emails to various people they figured would know how to find me, they also tweeted that they were looking for me... Which resulted in a deluge of messages from fans everywhere. Thanks. I got the message! :)

Sadly, I will be traveling for the next few months (i.e. death of the tracker), so I had to turn down their offer to send me one (no one home to receive it)... What terrible timing. Just a week or two earlier, and I would have had my own Cr-48. I guess it was not meant to be. :cry:

Kudos to Google for taking the time to look me up. Even though I was unable to accept their offer, the effort was very much appreciated. :applause:[/QUOTE]

You can just have the CR-48 sent to me, hahaha. But seriously, that's awesome. It's a bummer you're not going to be home to get it. Maybe they'll do something else for you?

I hope I get one soon!

Just got mine. Now I can dual wield laptops. :D

I was like WTF did UPS bring that's heavy and big, and then I opened it and was more confused until I picked up the box and saw the chrome guide underneath the laptop box.

bread's done
Back