That's not a mobile suit, it's the anime and manga thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jaykrue']It's pretty good though it's perilously close to Naruto/Bleach/DBZ extend-the-fight-forever episodes lately so I hope they get to the point soon.

EDIT: I should be ashamed of myself as there IS one show I eagerly anticipate in addition to Golgo 13, and that is Soul Eater. I think it's compelling enough that it doesn't quite feel right categorizing it as general shonen action.[/quote]

I watched a couple episodes of Soul Eater and categorized it as "kiddie Bleach."

Not that I'm a fan of the Bleach anime, but it felt like the same idea, but with a more playful tone.

It is hard to believe people are reading and enjoying Togari and Alive. I read the first volume of Togari and felt it was just another throwaway title with a poor plot. Alive had some of the worst dialogue I've ever read in manga.

These days, I only look forward to King of Thorn and Chunchu, with an update of Golgo 13 if I feel the itch. It's a shame Kamiyadori and Judas ended with so few volumes - especially since their last volumes felt a little rushed (like the anime ending to Paradise Kiss).

I think if we have more cable channels beside Cartoon Network and Sci-Fi showing anime then there is a better chance these companies won't go belly up. Granted, Geneon had a good presence on Cartoon Network, but other than Manga (thanks to Sci-Fi), Funimation and Viz no one else gets much airtime. I don't ever remember ADV on CN, and the only Media Blasters title I remember being there was Rurouni Kenshin. You would think MTV would at least try something like Beck. They tried Spiderman and Aeon Flux and other shows before.

Man, the R1 industry is such a fucking mess right now.. I suppose I'm not helping matters either, since I've more or less stopped buying single discs... I'll either pick up a box or get the whole series once all the volumes are released... waiting 2 months between releases is what's killed it for me.

This is a true shame, first Geneon and now this.. Poor marketing is simply killing these companies, no matter which way it is sliced. While some may cry, bootlegs did it, boots may have hurt the market, but not as bad as these business decisions. Poor selections in regards to the shows they licensed. Poor pricing strategies, especialy in regards to Geneon, 29.99 + for 3 episodes was pathetic, and now ADV's new box sets for series like Noir, and some of their olders shows for 74.99 or so, when they thin sets are still out on shelves. Also ADV's Manga, which cost us Yotsuba, and some other decent offerings as well. Also the ADV channel offers what we want to see without buying as well. Honestly, I am thankful for Bandai/Namco, Funi and Media Blasters, and hope they continue to do what they need to do to keep their companies up and running, and the anime flowing.

[quote name='Chacrana']Man, the R1 industry is such a fucking mess right now.. I suppose I'm not helping matters either, since I've more or less stopped buying single discs... I'll either pick up a box or get the whole series once all the volumes are released... waiting 2 months between releases is what's killed it for me.[/quote]

Single discs definitely segmented the market IMO. YOu have those who can afford to buy expensive singles or those who wait for boxsets. Unfortunately, since most shows to get on TV and get ad revenue, the singles are the only way to maximize their revenue. The ironic thing is that last year is when I started buying singles because I could afford to for once (Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy, Haruhi) and that is when all the craziness in R1 started. I honestly prefer boxsets/brick though.

[quote name='Licasguy']Also ADV's Manga, which cost us Yotsuba, and some other decent offerings as well. [/quote]

Oh man, I could vent about ADV manga until people got sick of it.

Thank God Tokyopop picked up Your and My Secret after ADV released one volume and sat on it. Hopefully Tokyopop will finish it. It's only three volumes. The announcement that they were postponing some titles made me nervous, but I didn't see it listed.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Single discs definitely segmented the market IMO. YOu have those who can afford to buy expensive singles or those who wait for boxsets. Unfortunately, since most shows to get on TV and get ad revenue, the singles are the only way to maximize their revenue. The ironic thing is that last year is when I started buying singles because I could afford to for once (Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy, Haruhi) and that is when all the craziness in R1 started. I honestly prefer boxsets/brick though.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it wasn't about how expensive it was to get an entire series (though it was on the pricey side)... not being able to watch through a show at the pace I want has always been a huge issue for me. And the most annoying thing is when you have a release like Berserk or Eureka Seven where they just decide "oh, well instead of a 2 month wait, it's a 4 month wait this time." Yeah, that's a good way to keep people buying your show. Don't sell it to them. fucking idiots.

[quote name='Chacrana']Honestly, it wasn't about how expensive it was to get an entire series (though it was on the pricey side)... not being able to watch through a show at the pace I want has always been a huge issue for me. And the most annoying thing is when you have a release like Berserk or Eureka Seven where they just decide "oh, well instead of a 2 month wait, it's a 4 month wait this time." Yeah, that's a good way to keep people buying your show. Don't sell it to them. fucking idiots.[/QUOTE]
A lot of that is because of dubs. Look at how Bandai is releasing Gurren Lagann. The first 9 episodes come out next week followed by the next set next month, and the final set the month after that. A quick and cheap release because there's no dub. The dub release is coming next year.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']A lot of that is because of dubs. Look at how Bandai is releasing Gurren Lagann. The first 9 episodes come out next week followed by the next set next month, and the final set the month after that. A quick and cheap release because there's no dub. The dub release is coming next year.[/quote]

Will it be just a dub, no sub option as well with the dub release?

[quote name='Koggit']I forced myself through the end of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann just now, such a waste of time. 27 episodes x 20 minutes = 9 wasted hours of my life.

It's predictable, generic kiddy crap. Fans will swear up and down trying to convince you otherwise, but it's really childish & shallow. If you're over 12 don't bother.[/quote]

friggin' SIGNED. i aborted around ep 11 or 12 and don't regret it.

i'm not sure how scrapped princess can be so badly paced when it is only 26 eps. it doesn't really have any filler or anything else. i totally dug the show.

i started watching Black Blood Brothers last night and so far i'm enjoying it.

the monster manga is still pretty dope now that i'm about halfway through it.

anyway care to give a synopsis of dennu coil and lucky star for me?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Pretty sure it's a bilingual release.[/quote]

Good, I thought we were about to time travel back to the days of VHS for a moment. :lol:

While I am dub fan first and formost, I do like to check out the subs after the fact.

Funimation will now be distributing the Geneon titles!

http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=1436
Under the terms of the agreement, FUNimation Entertainment obtains the exclusive rights to the manufacturing, marketing, sales and distribution of established Geneon titles, including international successes "Ergo Proxy", "Hellsing Ultimate" and "Black Lagoon".
Among the first titles to be released includes the special edition of "Hellsing Ultimate", directed by Tomokazu Tokoro and produced by Satelight (“Aquarion” and “Baldr Force EXE Resolution”).

Follow up releases include "Black Lagoon Second Barrage", “Karin”, "Kyo Kara Maoh Season 2", and "Lyrical Nanoha".
“Geneon is a strong producer, known for excellent production and quality of its anime series,“ said Gen Fukunaga, president and CEO of FUNimation Entertainment. “We are pleased to partner with them and we are committed to the successful release of these series.”
"FUNimation’s momentum as the leading anime distributor continues to build," said Yushin Soga, president and CEO of Geneon. "We are sure this partnership will only grow the prominence of our portfolio."
Additional titles include: “Black Lagoon”, “Elemental Gelade”, “Fate Stay Night”, “Kamichu”, “Ninja Vixens”, “Paradise Kiss”, “Rozen Maiden”, “Rozen Maiden Traumend”, “Shana”, “Shonen Onmyouji”, “The Familiar of Zero”, “The Story of Saiunkoku”, “When They Cry”, and “The Law of Ueki”.

Good, i'm all for more Hellsing Ultimate. Just got back from Best Buy where I picked up Welcome to NHK vol 5, felt weird being a single anime release. Like others i've been buying season sets for a long time now.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Funimation will now be distributing the Geneon titles!

http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=1436[/quote]

Finally some good news inthe world of anime. Black Lagoon Second Barrage will be mine.

As long as Funi doesn't butcher anything like they did with DBZ uncut, this is great news.

*edit* Holy crap! I thought Funimation was just getting licenses, but that article says Funimation partnering with Geneon!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i started watching Black Blood Brothers last night and so far i'm enjoying it. [/quote]

Good series though it ends too early AND unfinished. Not spoiling anything by telling you that things are kinda left hanging in the air and more questions pop up unanswered. The ending feels like you're in the middle of the series rather than the end. This should've been around 26 eps. to fully flesh out the characters, not 12.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Single discs definitely segmented the market IMO. YOu have those who can afford to buy expensive singles or those who wait for boxsets. Unfortunately, since most shows to get on TV and get ad revenue, the singles are the only way to maximize their revenue. The ironic thing is that last year is when I started buying singles because I could afford to for once (Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy, Haruhi) and that is when all the craziness in R1 started. I honestly prefer boxsets/brick though.[/quote]

[quote name='Chacrana']Man, the R1 industry is such a fucking mess right now.. I suppose I'm not helping matters either, since I've more or less stopped buying single discs... I'll either pick up a box or get the whole series once all the volumes are released... waiting 2 months between releases is what's killed it for me.[/quote]

Ditto on the box sets. I HATE waiting. :bomb: That's why I still torrent and just pick up the box sets when they're all together. My life is too fast paced & filled w/ other distractions (girls, video games, work, etc.) nowadays to wait around for the next episodes and remember what happened 5-10 eps. ago as it relates to whatever current episode I'm watching. This is also true for my tv viewing habits. I barely ever watch tv (even on tivo) and would rather wait for the box sets of any shows I like since I can knock out a tv season in a weekend and move on.

[quote name='chasemurata']I watched a couple episodes of Soul Eater and categorized it as "kiddie Bleach."

Not that I'm a fan of the Bleach anime, but it felt like the same idea, but with a more playful tone.[/quote]

Thinking about it, yeah, it does bear a lot of similarities to Bleach. It's still good fun for me, though.

[quote name='jaykrue']

Ditto on the box sets. I HATE waiting. :bomb: That's why I still torrent and just pick up the box sets when they're all together. My life is too fast paced & filled w/ other distractions (girls, video games, work, etc.) nowadays to wait around for the next episodes and remember what happened 5-10 eps. ago as it relates to whatever current episode I'm watching. This is also true for my tv viewing habits. I barely ever watch tv (even on tivo) and would rather wait for the box sets of any shows I like since I can knock out a tv season in a weekend and move on.
[/quote]

i feel the same way, torrent or netflix. if i really like the series i'll buy the boxset when it comes out. i'll be getting beck when it comes out in a few weeks

Yay on Geneon finally being sorta back in the game (Hellsing Ultimate Vol. 4 get?)

and as far as that Gurren Lagann set... that's interesting that it's sub only. If that's what it takes to get speedy releases, I'll take it. Better yet, without being saddled with a dub, they should be able to have PCM audio and better video quality. since space isn't being wasted.

[quote name='coolsteel']http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-04/funimation-picks-up-over-30-former-ad-vision-titles All I gotta say is WTF?! This is a complete shock to me, DBZ money is good indeed.[/quote]

I guess that is why only select titles were mentioned to be rescued from Geneon. All that other money was going to the ADV stuff.

I just hope Funimation isn't over-extending themselves by trying to do too much at once. Part of ADV's problem was they got too big for their britches IMO by spending like money grew on trees.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I guess that is why only select titles were mentioned to be rescued from Geneon. All that other money was going to the ADV stuff.

I just hope Funimation isn't over-extending themselves by trying to do too much at once. Part of ADV's problem was they got too big for their britches IMO by spending like money grew on trees.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how this goes, Funimation doesn't have to re-release a lot of this stuff , Guyver and some others have been done for ages . So that leaves the incomplete series, if they buy the dubs off ADV that gives them quick and dirty releases. If Funi actually tries to redub all this stuff............ then they'll be stretching themselves super thin that's for sure. While I am happy that these titles aren't in limbo anymore it just seems like a dirty move on the Japanese license holder's part, ADV already invested time and money into this stuff, Welcome to NHK has been rumored for awhile to have wrapped up dubbing, it just needed a release.

[quote name='coolsteel']Depends on how this goes, Funimation doesn't have to re-release a lot of this stuff , Guyver and some others have been done for ages . So that leaves the incomplete series, if they buy the dubs off ADV that gives them quick and dirty releases. If Funi actually tries to redub all this stuff............ then they'll be stretching themselves super thin that's for sure. While I am happy that these titles aren't in limbo anymore it just seems like a dirty move on the Japanese license holder's part, ADV already invested time and money into this stuff, Welcome to NHK has been rumored for awhile to have wrapped up dubbing, it just needed a release.[/quote]

I get teh feeling that one day, Japanese companies will move away from licensing altogether and maybe try to do things themselves. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I get teh feeling that one day, Japanese companies will move away from licensing altogether and maybe try to do things themselves. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

I think that sometimes as well, but doubt it would fly. If anything this move shows me they are in a better position by licensing, when things go south they can pull out and start over.

[quote name='jaykrue']Good series though it ends too early AND unfinished. Not spoiling anything by telling you that things are kinda left hanging in the air and more questions pop up unanswered. The ending feels like you're in the middle of the series rather than the end. This should've been around 26 eps. to fully flesh out the characters, not 12.[/quote]

Oh how I wished I'd have seen this sooner. I was really loving this show and then, BAMF I have no more. I got to get more and realize there is none! NOOOOOO....WHY WAS IT CANCELLED?!?

Hey guys between Rozen Maiden, Lucky Star, and Dennu Coil which should be my next show? What are these shows like?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I get teh feeling that one day, Japanese companies will move away from licensing altogether and maybe try to do things themselves. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon.[/quote]

At least one company already tried that a couple years back if I remember correctly. Toei released a volume or two of Slam Dunk and Air Master.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Oh how I wished I'd have seen this sooner. I was really loving this show and then, BAMF I have no more. I got to get more and realize there is none! NOOOOOO....WHY WAS IT CANCELLED?!?[/quote]

I don't think it was cancelled. It just ended... hanging.

Hey guys between Rozen Maiden, Lucky Star, and Dennu Coil which should be my next show? What are these shows like?
*cough* Well, I'm completely biased about this (hint: look at my sig) but I'll tell you what they are:

Rozen Maiden: creepy Victorian age dolls w/ powers fighting each other to achieve perfection... kinda like pokemon except w/ dolls.

Lucky Star: slice of life self-referential anime about 4 school girls (and one of them is an admitted otaku* who hangs out on 2chan forums, loves Melancoly of Haruhi Suzumiya, works at a cosplay cafe AS Haruhi & plays mmos)

Dennou Coil: slice of life drama/horror/comedy/future anime about kids who use virtual reality to surf the internet & play w/ virtual pets. But there's a problem, the internet might be haunted by a girl who takes childrens' souls. Think Ghost in the Shell minus the action plus Haibane Renmei's sometimes somber sometimes light tone. I liked them all but if I had to go in order: Lucky Star, Dennou Coil & Rozen Maiden.

*again, look at my sig

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']

Hey guys between Rozen Maiden, Lucky Star, and Dennu Coil which should be my next show? What are these shows like?[/quote]

if you're in the mood for an easy to watch show i'd do lucky star.

rozen maiden i'd avoid until you have nothing else to watch. it's weird in more ways than one

[quote name='coolsteel']If Funi actually tries to redub all this stuff............ then they'll be stretching themselves super thin that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

I'm certain they won't try to re-dub what's already out there, but some of the best news is that it won't be difficult to keep the same dub cast for newer volumes. Funimation and ADV are based out of the same region (Houston and Dallas, respectively), and practically every voice actor in that area is already a double-agent for both studios.

Edit - Oh yeah, and Viz *finally* licensed Monster! YES!!

Latest issue of Claymore was........... I don't know what the hell that was. I saw that twist coming a mile away about the identity of the little girl even if it was just straight up weird. I wish the chapters didn't come out so slow.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']

Edit - Oh yeah, and Viz *finally* licensed Monster! YES!![/quote]

:roll:

So they say they own the rights to the DVD and you blow it off, but now that they say they're planning on releasing something, its a huge deal.

Granted, it is nice that they arent going to sit on it for a few years like other shows. I'm hoping they dont mess up the release schedule or anything by doing 1 dvd every 3-4 months.

[quote name='Bezerker']So they say they own the rights to the DVD and you blow it off, but now that they say they're planning on releasing something, its a huge deal.

Granted, it is nice that they arent going to sit on it for a few years like other shows. I'm hoping they dont mess up the release schedule or anything by doing 1 dvd every 3-4 months.[/QUOTE]

Before, they were just "shopping it around to other companies." They've done this in the past with other shows that were never released. But NOW comes word that Viz themselves will be handling the release, and it WILL see the light of day. Damn right it's a huge deal.

anime.PNG

I just found out about Ghost in the Shell 2.0. Considering that I fuckin' loved that movie, I'm pretty excited... I hope it turns out to be better than the original.

Good news all around at AX08, it seems.

[quote name='Chacrana']I just found out about Ghost in the Shell 2.0. Considering that I fuckin' loved that movie, I'm pretty excited... I hope it turns out to be better than the original.

Good news all around at AX08, it seems.[/quote]

I'm of the mind that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm going to be cautiously pessimistic. So if the animators can offer a more compelling experience than the 1st version, I will be happily wrong and if not, then I can display smug satisfaction at being right. :lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']I'm of the mind that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm going to be cautiously pessimistic. So if the animators can offer a more compelling experience than the 1st version, I will be happily wrong and if not, then I can display smug satisfaction at being right. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, the original was sorta broke. From what I gather, the way they made the original makes it really, really difficult to get a decent transfer to Blu-Ray... as evidenced by the disappointing Japanese BD release. So I'm guessing this is designed to alleviate that issue.

I just hope they don't change the style of it, ya know? I don't want GITS SAC: The Movie, I want straight up GITS.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well, the original was sorta broke. From what I gather, the way they made the original makes it really, really difficult to get a decent transfer to Blu-Ray... as evidenced by the disappointing Japanese BD release. So I'm guessing this is designed to alleviate that issue.

I just hope they don't change the style of it, ya know? I don't want GITS SAC: The Movie, I want straight up GITS.[/quote]

Same here. That's why I said I'm gonna be cautiously pessimistic. As for the GITS movie being a difficult transfer to BR, well, my impression was that they were essentially doing a remake of the original movie w/ new animations so I was afraid it would change the tone of the movie (which is not necessarily not a bad thing if, as I mentioned in the other post, they are able to offer a more compelling experience than the original).

Just finished season 1 of Code Geass. After seeing other shows that were hyped to hell, like Gurren Lagann turn out to be steaming piles of shit, I wasn't too sure how this would end up, but I was fairly surprised at how good it was. The ending left a bit more to be desired, but i'm taking a pretty fair guess in that the story continues in R2.

Right now i'm hunting down the first 12 episodes of R2. From what i've seen, Episode 13 aired this week. It'll be nice to have something to look forward to each week, just makes that climax better and better.

Anyone thinking about this show, go for it. Even if you're not into mechs (like myself), the story around the mech battles makes up for it (something Gundam could never deliver on, ZING!)

mai hime is decent. it gets interesting/serious around halfway.

code geass is good stuff. i'm surprised some people hated TTGL so much, i heard all the hype and thought it lived up to most of it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I have no idea what Gundam you're watching.[/quote]
It was a reference to the entire franchise.

Some Good & possibly bad news. The good, Darker Than Blank is getting a sequel (Hopefully it'll be about Hei vs. the Syndicate). The possibly bad, Fullmetal Alchemist is getting a sequel.

http://www.japanator.com/elephant/post.phtml?pk=8261

I hope that the FMA "sequel" is actually an "Ultimate" version, like what Hellsing did. The manga is so much better than that crap Bones came up with.

[quote name='tehweezner']code geass is good stuff. i'm surprised some people hated TTGL so much, i heard all the hype and thought it lived up to most of it.[/quote]

I just don't buy into Gainax. I did like Abenobashi & FLCL, but those shows seemed original (yes I know most of Abenobashi was references to other series). TTGL just seems like the same ol regurgitated mech plot, but they take shit that no one else would bother to do because the fans would think its completely stupid, and since its Gainax doing it, the fans think its revolutionary and cool.

Code Geass is pretty good I think. I like the art style (noodle people and boobs). Who ever thought Gundam and Death Note went so well together.

edit: Though these couple of "filler"-ish episodes piss me off.

Episodes 22 - 25 are why I love it so much. Especially episode 22.

If you don't like it, fine, but I don't think it's fair to call it nothing special. The whole series is just refreshingly catastrophic. It's one big trainwreck; I've never seen a series that had the balls to do that. There's no protagonist. I can't think of any other anime in which there's no protagonist.

It's been a long time since we've had an unpredictable, fast-paced series. No foreshadowing, no talking down to the audience, no reiterating what's already been done.

It's also pretty unique in that it lends itself to philosophical reflection -- the issues of justice raised by Geass, pertinent in a day and age when there are countless heated debates regarding the death penalty and the right to judge.

It's a great series in a lot of ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back