The 2008-2009 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='st0neface']It's more than promotion, though. The matchup was basically a forgone conclusion in the NBA's/most analyst's/Nike's eyes. To think a team can make it to the finals and dismiss any other opponents on the merit of teams with a single superstar and a questionable surrounding cast is foolish. Both conference finals are clearly illustrating this.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The NBA is just way to blatant in promoting their big market stars and openly hoping for finals matches up that will pull big ratings. You don't see that in the open in the NFL or MLB.

It's also always bugged me that the NBA has always focused so much more on marketing individual players rather than teams compared to the other leagues. It's a team sport.

That was a bullshit technical too. They missed that FT but the resulting T on Ewing gave the Cavs a free point in a game that went to OT.

Indeed. It was a borderline flagrant foul by Varejao, and all Howard did was pump his fist at him after making the basket. Hardly technical worthy.

I doubt the Magic will win game 5 in Cleveland, but I hope they find away so I can watch all the Cleveland fans cry after losing despite Lebron getting all the calls.

[quote name='dafoomie']That was a bullshit technical too. They missed that FT but the resulting T on Ewing gave the Cavs a free point in a game that went to OT.[/QUOTE]
Was it ever explained what Ewing did to get a T (I missed that part of the game)? I'd assume he was cursing at the official, but for all I know, he could have just said "What?!?" and then gotten a Tech for that :roll:

Nuggets have come out with a sense that they truly want to win this game. A perfect start getting some laker players into foul trouble.

Their defense is looking strong also.

What are horrid call on Billups going to the hole. Now you cant even simply go for a layup?

EDIT:
WHOA! Anderson is fucking people up! He has more heart that all the lakers not named kobe combined. 2 blocks right out of the gates.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Where have these Lakers been all playoffs? They're finally playing like they give a crap here in the fourth.[/QUOTE]
I hope they're here to stay too :bomb:

I don't know how, but I really hope they can hang on to Shannon Brown. He's like the Ariza from last year (shows energy but never had any of the attention). It's also about time Odom started showing up again, he tends to only appear once every series it seems like.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
EDIT:
WHOA! Anderson is fucking people up! He has more heart that all the lakers not named kobe combined. 2 blocks right out of the gates.[/QUOTE]

Eh. He's alright. I think people hype him up too much. Just because he did some drugs, uses a tub of $5 gel every game, and has some horrible tattoos on his arms.

Pau and LO combined for almost 10 blocks tonight. Good stuff.

Lakers in 6!

Great game between the Lakers and Nuggets. Odom finally got it going, and Kobe was able to score well and dish it out. Gasol was even better than Odom. Big win, since the Nuggets could easily win game 6 in Denver.

[quote name='Matt Young']Great game between the Lakers and Nuggets. Odom finally got it going, and Kobe was able to score well and dish it out. Gasol was even better than Odom. Big win, since the Nuggets could easily win game 6 in Denver.[/QUOTE]
True but if the Lakers play like they did yesterday they will win in denver. Pau and Odom stepping up with good points and defense from the bench the Lakers will be fine.

This has been a sad 4th quarter effort by the Magic. And Alston has played terrible after his great game 4.

Oh well, figured the Magic would drop this one. They absolutely must win Game 6 at home on Saturday. Otherwise Stern can go ahead and cream his pants as he'll be getting his dream LeBron/Kobe match up.

Hope they can pull it out, as I like their chances against either the Lakers or Nuggets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ref-Assist on full-blast for the Cleveland LeBron's. Its truly amazing how many fouls are called for LeBron, and how many arent called on the ones he gives out.

The officiating ruined the post season for me. The refs have been so inconsistent and not just letting the players play during critical parts of the game. It feels like the series could have been so different if the refs called plays differently.

[quote name='ananag112']The officiating ruined the post season for me. The refs have been so inconsistent and not just letting the players play during critical parts of the game. It feels like the series could have been so different if the refs called plays differently.[/QUOTE]

You mean that you shouldnt be allowed to run full speed into a pack of defenders throw up the ball and get a blocking foul every time. How would LeBrick get to the line so much?

[quote name='mooshie78']This has been a sad 4th quarter effort by the Magic. And Alston has played terrible after his great game 4.

Oh well, figured the Magic would drop this one. They absolutely must win Game 6 at home on Saturday. Otherwise Stern can go ahead and cream his pants as he'll be getting his dream LeBron/Kobe match up.

Hope they can pull it out, as I like their chances against either the Lakers or Nuggets.[/QUOTE]
if the magic dont win on saturday they are not gonna win on monday, but Lebron has to get some help or his days in cleveland are numbered.

I actually watched the Magic/Cavs game yesterday. First time watching that series for me. They definitely didn't disappoint, though the ending did. I hate the Cavs, but Lebron is just ridiculous.

Hopefully the Lakers can keep up their solid play from the first half. I fully expect the Nuggets to come back and make this a tight one, though. Not that the deficit is that big to begin with.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']What the hell happened to Denver? They completely forgot how to play D.[/QUOTE]
Yeah they did thanks denver:applause:! What the hell was K mart thinking?

I wish Mark Jackson would die in a fire, or at least lose his voice until July. I loved him with the Pacers, but if I have to hear him say "Mama, dere goes dat man" one more fucking time, I'm going to kill myself.

Well, that was a pleasant surprise. I figured the Nuggets would make it a tight one. If the Lakers from games 5 and 6 show up in the Finals, they can't be stopped.

Wow, what a good game tonight and last night. Orlando Magic finally eliminated the Cavs and the Lakers also elimintated the Denver Nuggets. :applause:

Lakers vs Magic Finals in LA for the 1st game. All I can say is bring it Orlando Magic because the Lakers are hungry and are not satisfied yet until they become the NBA Champions. Especially the way the Lakers played confident and hungry in Game 6. :)

Lebron James looked very pissed walking off the court and shook nobodies hand. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Dynasty1756']Wow, what a good game tonight and last night. Orlando Magic finally eliminated the Cavs and the Lakers also elimintated the Denver Nuggets. :applause:

Lakers vs Magic Finals in LA for the 1st game. All I can say is bring it Orlando Magic because the Lakers are hungry and are not satisfied yet until they become the NBA Champions. Especially the way the Lakers played confident and hungry in Game 6. :)

Lebron James looked very pissed walking off the court and shook nobodies hand.[/QUOTE]
He knows he needs help. He can't carry the team. They are gonna have to rebuild and get him some support in the off season.

If they had the pieces, they should trade up in draft. But that's highly unlikely.

Maybe they can convince Lebron to stay and try to bring in another high profile guy next summer. They have to do something, because he is gone if not.

I really like this matchup and hope it goes 7 games.

Tough break, Cleveland sports fans..

[quote name='Dynasty1756']Lebron James looked very pissed walking off the court and shook nobodies hand. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
Can't blame him, regardless of his reason. Had to work his ass of to carry his team this far and ran into a wall this series. Must be incredibly frustrating. To his credit though, I'm not sure if anyone else could've taken that team so far.

Well, I haven't had a favorite NBA team since the Hornets left Charlotte, but I hope the Magic win. JJ Redick (although he isn't playing much) is from nearby Roanoke so I want to see him win, I use the Magic on NBA 2K9, and I like the makeup of the team. Either way, it should be a good series.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Well, I haven't had a favorite NBA team since the Hornets left Charlotte, but I hope the Magic win. JJ Redick (although he isn't playing much) is from nearby Roanoke so I want to see him win, I use the Magic on NBA 2K9, and I like the makeup of the team. Either way, it should be a good series.[/QUOTE]

Rooting for JJ Reddick is like rooting for a quadriplegic in a footrace. It's wasted effort.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Rooting for JJ Reddick is like rooting for a quadriplegic in a footrace. It's wasted effort.[/QUOTE]

Still, he's a local guy whose bench-riding life is still better than mine in every possible way. For that matter I rooted for George Lynch back in the day (from Roanoke as well).

[quote name='mis0']Magic on Saturday. Lakers tonight. Conference finals are over.[/QUOTE]

Called it!

I predict Lakers in 6. The Magic are a better match up for the Lakers than the Cavs would have been. Lakers have been playing championship basketball for the past couple game and the Magic we saw tonight seem to appear only once in a full moon. Lakers have more competent big men to slow down D. Howard, and we all know Kobe can't be stopped by anybody on the Magic team. Bench play is a toss up, but I personally think the Lakers bench have more talent (except Walton and Vujacic, those overpaid cunts--I hate them so much).

Anyway, looks like Kobe will be getting his first ring withour Shaq after all. :)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Still, he's a local guy whose bench-riding life is still better than mine in every possible way. For that matter I rooted for George Lynch back in the day (from Roanoke as well).[/QUOTE]

Now George Lynch I can respect. He had some semblance of an NBA game.

Great effort by the Magic tonight to take charge and not let the Cavs back in the game.

Took down The King, now bring on The Rapist. ;)

I couldn't watch the first half of the Cavs/Magic game but what I did see was pretty much what the series had been from the beginning. Whether it was LeBron doing everything or everyone else stepping up when he didn't have his legs (tonight) the problem wasn't the Cleveland offense. The Cavs just didn't have anyone who could guard Howard. It all comes back to that. I don't know if a good big man can be had this off-season, but with Wally's money coming off the books and Wallace's expiring contract I'd think it could be done. If now all I can hope for is that J.J. Hickson develops fast.

Also, I don't know if I'm just optimistic but all the LeBron leaving talk never bothered me. Show me one team that he could sign with that would give him more exposure and a better shot at a title than the one he's already on.

[quote name='Filbert']
Also, I don't know if I'm just optimistic but all the LeBron leaving talk never bothered me. Show me one team that he could sign with that would give him more exposure and a better shot at a title than the one he's already on.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget sign and trade options.

He doesn't have to sign with a crappy team with a ton of cap space. It could be a sign and trade deal were a contending team gives up some talent to get him, which the Cavs take as it's better than him walking and them getting nothing in return.

Unless he demands a trade (like Kobe did) the Cavaliers would never entertain a trade involving him. It wouldn't matter if whichever team wins the finals this year offered their top three players for him, he means more financially for Cleveland than any offer could satisfy.

[quote name='Filbert']Unless he demands a trade (like Kobe did) the Cavaliers would never entertain a trade involving him. It wouldn't matter if whichever team wins the finals this year offered their top three players for him, he means more financially for Cleveland than any offer could satisfy.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's more or less what I meant. If he says to the team "I'm not resigning under any circumstances." at some point between now and his free agency, that's pretty much demanding a trade.

Then the Cavs have the choice of him walking and them getting absolutely nothing in return, or trading him and, while of course not getting equal value, at least getting some players to help them stay competitive.

It really depends on the offseason. If the Cavs don't do a lot to put more talent around him, I could see him demanding a trade.

There are quite a few teams where he would do well. The Celts, Bulls, San Antonio, The Mavs (better big man and a better bench), Rockets (better big men), the Suns, I could go on and on.

Besides Mo Williams honestly the rest of the Cavs are getting up their in age or they just plain suck.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Those LeBron and Kobe puppet ads are now like the Dan and Dave Reebok ads for the '92 Olympics. :lol:[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause::applause:

Good call!

I am super excited that I will be going to Game 3 of the Nba Finals! Then after that all I need to go to still is the World Series and I will have finished my Super Trio. (Super Bowl, Nba Finals, WS) I even went to a hockey cup final when Tampa played the Flames a few years ago!

Damn, Lakers. Good stop playing well and lose.

I knew the nuggets would eventually hit the wall I just thought they could last until the finals before they shut it down for the year.

Lebron and the Cavs are just that.....Lebron and a bunch of ringers. He needs some legit all stars around him that can take them to the top. They have had this patch work team for a long time and its just not going to cut it.

Just think of the Cavs at a Rashard Lewis on their team or a Trevor Arzia? Other than big Z who is worth his weight in gold (the guy is just old as shit...not much you can do) everyone else on thet team are ghost. Here 1 second gone another.

But I do look at Brown as a coach and wonder what the hell was his defense doing the entire series. Collapsing with Williams, West and Gibson who are not shot blockers and leaving Alston, Hedo, Lewis out on the 3 constantly.

The Lakers Magic match up seems pretty good. Lets see how the Laker bigs handle Howard. The lakers havent faced a Center with that much talent and heart yet. Lets see if the magic can eat them from the inside out.

Go Magic! We just have too many X-Factors; Pietrus, Lewis, and Turkoglu are hard to guard. Hence, why the Cavs had no chance.

For those Lakers fan, remember 2-0 to the Magic regular season. Good Luck :lol:

Does anyone have the Cavs Gone Fishin picture for this year? My neighbor is from Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back