The 2008-2009 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually pulling for the Magic in the postseason, didn't expect them to make it this far though. I mean I don't think any of us expected them to get past the Cavs.

Lakers are the favorite to win, how about an upset Orlando?

Last edited by a moderator:
Magic over Lakers in 4.

=D

The Lakers Magic match up seems pretty good. Lets see how the Laker bigs handle Howard. The lakers havent faced a Center with that much talent and heart yet. Lets see if the magic can eat them from the inside out.
Well, Yao.. before injury.

[quote name='lordopus99']Go Magic! We just have too many X-Factors; Pietrus, Lewis, and Turkoglu are hard to guard. Hence, why the Cavs had no chance.

For those Lakers fan, remember 2-0 to the Magic regular season. Good Luck :lol:

Does anyone have the Cavs Gone Fishin picture for this year? My neighbor is from Cleveland[/QUOTE]

The regular season means jack when it comes to the NBA Finals. Its a whole different ball game.. So we will see what happens in the Finals. Kobe looks hungry and determined to win another ring. :cool:

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Yahoo is saying Jameer Nelson may be ready to play in the Finals.[/QUOTE]

Hmm i thought Jameer Nelson was going to be out for the whole season including the playoffs and finals. I read on NBA.com that its still uncertain he will return.

He would be rusty and not in game shape anyway, so I think it would be silly to bring him back.

Looking forward to him being back next year. Alston has done an admirable job filling in, but isn't the consistent scoring threat Nelson had become and is very up and down and reckless at times.

J. Nelson better keep his injured ass on the sidelines so the Lakers can just win the title and get it over with.

[quote name='Dynasty1756']The regular season means jack when it comes to the NBA Finals. Its a whole different ball game.. So we will see what happens in the Finals. Kobe looks hungry and determined to win another ring. :cool:[/QUOTE]

That's what Lebron and the Cavs said. Regular season 2-1... go figure the series ended in 4-2. I think the Game 6 rout of the Cavs speak for itself.

Hmm i thought Jameer Nelson was going to be out for the whole season including the playoffs and finals. I read on NBA.com that its still uncertain he will return.

It is the talk right now. They are having him take another MRI to see if he is ready to go since he says he has full range of motion. If you are a Laker fan, I would be scared to see him coming back (27 and 28 points in the two games played regular series).

As someone who enjoys watching talent and teams develop, I am quite impressed by the Magic. Dwight Howard is showing signs of becoming the dominant big man he is capable of being.

The Magic should win the Finals, if:
1. Howard continues to play well, including scoring on man-to-man defense, and finding the open man out of double teams.

2. The inside-to-outside pass made by Howard is not consistently picked off by the Lakers. Howard and the Magic will need to protect the ball well and not allow Lakers too many fast break points.

[quote name='moonknight25']I am super excited that I will be going to Game 3 of the Nba Finals! Then after that all I need to go to still is the World Series and I will have finished my Super Trio. (Super Bowl, Nba Finals, WS) I even went to a hockey cup final when Tampa played the Flames a few years ago![/QUOTE]Be careful. My one NBA Finals appearance was Game 2 of the 1994 Finals. It was the only home game my team, the Rockets, lost that series.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4224350
But Stern is withholding judgment and not ready to makes his views on the incident public until he talks to James about what happened, he said Tuesday on ESPN Radio.

...On Monday, NBA spokesman Tim Frank told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand that James would not be fined, adding, "We haven't had any issues with him before at all."
Stern is a pussy. No wonder James doesn't feel like he did anything wrong by being a little bitch after he didn't win, nobody close to him is willing to check him.

Such a non-story. Who gives a fuck if he leaves after losing a game in the playoffs? Not like he was going to say anything memorable immediately afterward. Disappointed people are actually taking the bait with this one.

You should show respect for the game and respect for the opponent, especially as the face of the franchise and of the NBA. He ducked out before shaking hands, didn't face the media, didn't do anything that a leader is supposed to do in that situation. I'm personally not angry at him but in my opinion he let his team down.

[quote name='DT778']http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4224350
Stern is a pussy. No wonder James doesn't feel like he did anything wrong by being a little bitch after he didn't win, nobody close to him is willing to check him.[/QUOTE]

More reasons why Lebron thinks everyone should bow before him. The Cavs obviously aren't going to say anything for fear he will leave them when his contracts ends to play with Wade or Bosh or NY.

He should be fine because it is bad for kids to see a person they look up to showing bad sportsmanship.

Well you can't fine players for being poor sports but the fine for skipping out on the media is from my understanding standard practice, for them to not fine James and for Stern to want to talk to him about his feelings is just slap in the face to every other player and fans of the game.

Knowing what he told a reporter to justify what he did I would have loved for him to have done the media session after running off of the court. "I'm a winner."

I'm just not sure it's the right move to be playing Nelson this much. But he's playing ok. 2-4 from the field with 4 assists so far.

Edit: this is getting ugly. Orlando can't by a bucket, and Kobe is killing them. Magic have to rebound in Game 2 or this is going to be a very short series.

I think you guys sometimes forget that these people are actually human beings. Like you mother fuckers have never been so crushed my something that you couldnt deal for a quick second and just needed to leave.

To be honest I wouldnt give a flying rats ass if no player ever said anything to the media ever. Americans athletes never say anything but canned garbage anyway so what the hell does it matter?(Try watching international soccer...the commentators routinely rip apart teams that are playing bad)

I for one do not look at athletes for anything other super human moves that only 2% of the population can do. I dont buy into that Stern bullshit that every athlete is some outstanding person. They are just mofos who can hoop.

On topic, I have only watched about a Qrt of the game and the Lakers are getting so good no calls. I just saw Howard get hit 3 times while trying to gather and dunk and nothing was called.

NBA2k10_cover3_560.jpg

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You know, I love the NBA 2K series, and really like Kobe, but that's a bad cover design.[/QUOTE]That's not the final design, you get to vote. They also have him in a Knick's uniform because of something to do with Spike Lee or some shit like that as a gag.

http://www.2ksports.com/games/nba2k10

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']I knew the Lakers would win but i didn't think they would smash the magic.[/QUOTE]

Yea i was a little surprised myself but the Magic were shooting awful from the field and Kobe defeated the team by himself. Pau and Bynum did very well also to contain D.Howard. Overall a good win for the Lakers! :applause:

i hope they continue to provide intensity and sense of emergency to beat the Orlando Magic.

Also Jameer Nelson should have sat out the entire finals... There was no need to bring him back. He was definitely a little rusty and played really bad

[quote name='DT778']That's not the final design, you get to vote. They also have him in a Knick's uniform because of something to do with Spike Lee or some shit like that as a gag.

http://www.2ksports.com/games/nba2k10[/QUOTE]

25p46jm.jpg

I actually like this cover the best out of all of them... :D The KB24 in the Knicks jersey looked ugly

[quote name='Dynasty1756']Yea i was a little surprised myself but the Magic were shooting awful from the field and Kobe defeated the team by himself. Pau and Bynum did very well also to contain D.Howard. Overall a good win for the Lakers! :applause:

i hope they continue to provide intensity and sense of emergency to beat the Orlando Magic.

Also Jameer Nelson should have sat out the entire finals... There was no need to bring him back. He was definitely a little rusty and played really bad
[/QUOTE]

The Magic beat the Magic tonight. The Magic missed wide open shots all night long. The only player who had pressure D on was Howard. Plus none of the Magic but Howard and Gortat went for boards while the Lakers always had 3-4 guys going for boards. When you live by the 3, you can die if you don't make shots... thats what happened. Yes, Kobe did his thing making hard shots but that is expected in every game. On to Game 2, hopefully the Magic come to play.

As for Nelson, I thought he did great for not playing for a couple months. When you compare him to our other point guard (alston), he did better (which isn't saying much since everyone was off).

[quote name='lordopus99']The Magic beat the Magic tonight. The Magic missed wide open shots all night long. The only player who had pressure D on was Howard. Plus none of the Magic but Howard and Gortat went for boards while the Lakers always had 3-4 guys going for boards. When you live by the 3, you can die if you don't make shots... thats what happened. Yes, Kobe did his thing making hard shots but that is expected in every game. On to Game 2, hopefully the Magic come to play.

As for Nelson, I thought he did great for not playing for a couple months. When you compare him to our other point guard (alston), he did better (which isn't saying much since everyone was off).[/QUOTE]

I love all this BS. "The Magic beat themselves" or "We didn't have the energy" or "We didn't give the effort." Had nothing to do with the Lakers defense. Even if the Magic shoot better last night, they still lose the game. Maybe not by 25 but they still lose. The Lakers are the better team and they proved it last night. Tired of these f-ing excuses from the Magic and their "fans".

[quote name='Soodmeg']
On topic, I have only watched about a Qrt of the game and the Lakers are getting so good no calls. I just saw Howard get hit 3 times while trying to gather and dunk and nothing was called.[/QUOTE]

I can count 4 times Kobe drove to the hoop and got whacked and didn't get a call. It was poor officiating both ways.

We'll always have disagreements about the officiating, but I think one thing we can all come to terms with is that Lebron usually gets the calls his way.

[quote name='lordopus99']

As for Nelson, I thought he did great for not playing for a couple months. When you compare him to our other point guard (alston), he did better (which isn't saying much since everyone was off).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, plus he's really taking Anthony Johnson's back up minutes, and he'd been pretty much useless the whole post season.

With Alston, in give game he's either got it from the start or he doesn't shooting wise. If he comes out and hits shots he'll get a lot of minutes and Nelson won't play much.

If he misses his shots, then Nelson will get more as Alston has shown all year and post season that he's an on and off shooter and has it one night and doesn't the next.

Like I said, I only watched about a qrt of the game and that is what I saw. On another note...to be honest I am kinda disappointed in the 2k10 cover. 2k usually goes with what I like to call the "side superstar" guys who are stars but dont get that much hype. Iverson, Ben Wallace, CP3, these guys where superstars but parts of America wasnt sucking their dick like they do, Kobe, Lebron and the rest. This is kinda of a cop out.

I expect kobe to be on the cover of live because EA is a attention whore like that. I expect people like Brandon Roy, Nelson (pre injury of course) hell even Dan granger.

Boooo 2k. Boooo.

The Magic simply fell apart last night. The 1st Quarter was fine but then they just played horrible.

Way too many 3 pointers were shot overall, they need to drive the lane more if they want to roll with the Lakers. Plus, they were letting Kobe just dominate them, I think they were scared.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Like I said, I only watched about a qrt of the game and that is what I saw. On another note...to be honest I am kinda disappointed in the 2k10 cover. 2k usually goes with what I like to call the "side superstar" guys who are stars but dont get that much hype. Iverson, Ben Wallace, CP3, these guys where superstars but parts of America wasnt sucking their dick like they do, Kobe, Lebron and the rest. This is kinda of a cop out.

I expect kobe to be on the cover of live because EA is a attention whore like that. I expect people like Brandon Roy, Nelson (pre injury of course) hell even Dan granger.

Boooo 2k. Boooo.[/QUOTE]

Wow Soodmeg, Im really disappointed in you. I knew you was a Laker hater but i didnt know that much :whistle2:#
As soon as the Lakers won and I saw KB24 cover shots for 2k I knew you was gonna come on CAG and hate all over 2k's cover and Kobe performance :roll:

I despise the Lakers. Always have as my dad rooted for the Celtics in the 80's and then even more so when Shaq left for their in the mid 90's since I've been a Magic fan since they started.

But I have to give them credit last night. Yes Orlando missed A LOT of open shots, but the Laker D did a great job, especially on Howard, they did a great job on the boards, and Kobe (as much as I loathe him) played great and hit a ton of great shots.

If Orlando is going to have any success, Howard has to find a way to score inside, they have to do much better on the boards, and Turkoglu, Lewis etc. have to hit their shots, especially from 3.

Kobe is going to score, just like Lebron did every game last series. They just have to shut down the supporting cast, and get their offense going to outscore the Lakers.

Christ Dynasty you kobe fans are so damn butt hurt when someone says anything other than I love Kobe. Get over it. You clearly brushed off why I dislike the cover... so that you can counter the kobe "hate."

I would say the same thing if Lebron was on the cover I kinda said the same thing when KG was on the cover (although at the time I couldnt even think of another person to put on there) 2k covers have always been about side superstars and this is just all mainstream Hollywood which just annoys me. Its not that imporant just annoying.

There are a ton of superstars in the league and sometimes I get sick and tired of Stern and Co forcing the same 5 people down my pie hole each and every day. I greatly appreciated seeing someone like Ben Wallace (since I was raised in Detroit) Iverson (who was the leagues bad boy) CP3 on the cover. Those guys are superstars but are apparently not marketable so they get snuffed for everything. Its nice to see them get some just due once and a while.

I truly dont care about the Lakers as much as you guys think....its just that I can not get away from them. This is partly because they are a excellent team and win a good deal of games but mostly due to ESPN, Stern and mainstream forcing me to watch Lakers vs Kings games when I was living in fucking Detroit.

After thought Edit, sorry for double post!

This is what happens when you are less a fan of the game and more a fan of 1 team and 1 player. It still to this day amazes me how little of a sport see when they claim to be a fan. It not really that I hate on Kobe, I really dont have a problem with saying he is the best in the game but that is only because I have seen the rest of the league. My hang up is when stupid mother fuckers boast about how great he is when they have not even seen the rest of the league. How can you say he is the best when you have only seen 12 other players play? As you can see I have talked about virtually every team in the league....where has some of you have talked about nothing but the Lakers for the entire year. That just rubs me the wrong way.

Plus the fact that a good chunk of Laker fans where ghost when they were losing for 3 years after Shaq left.

EDIT: And I am not saying that its bad to be a casual fan like that but your constantly ramblings of the same player gets old after a while.

None of this was actually directed at you Dyansty....the you's in it were general. We are all gravy train, at least on my end. Even though your butt seems to get mighty tender when I talk about Kobe in a negative light.

[quote name='Soodmeg']After thought Edit, sorry for double post!

This is what happens when you are less a fan of the game and more a fan of 1 team and 1 player. It still to this day amazes me how little of a sport see when they claim to be a fan. It not really that I hate on Kobe, I really dont have a problem with saying he is the best in the game but that is only because I have seen the rest of the league. My hang up is when stupid mother fuckers boast about how great he is when they have not even seen the rest of the league. How can you say he is the best when you have only seen 12 other players play? As you can see I have talked about virtually every team in the league....where has some of you have talked about nothing but the Lakers for the entire year. That just rubs me the wrong way.

Plus the fact that a good chunk of Laker fans where ghost when they were losing for 3 years after Shaq left.

EDIT: And I am not saying that its bad to be a casual fan like that but your constantly ramblings of the same player gets old after a while.

None of this was actually directed at you Dyansty....the you's in it were general. We are all gravy train, at least on my end. Even though your butt seems to get mighty tender when I talk about Kobe in a negative light.[/QUOTE]
Understand, but sometimes it seems like you out of the way to put him down. The Lakers are on a roll and he is the leader of that team. As much as you dislike them you gotta admit that he is gotten better over time. Yes The Magic are a great team. Cavs are 1-2 players away from unstoppable. The Nuggets are a strong team and will only get stronger, but right now i think the Lakers are the best team in the league. I aint mad at you though

[quote name='Setzer']I can count 4 times Kobe drove to the hoop and got whacked and didn't get a call. It was poor officiating both ways.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement. The non-calls went both ways.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Like I said, I only watched about a qrt of the game and that is what I saw. On another note...to be honest I am kinda disappointed in the 2k10 cover. 2k usually goes with what I like to call the "side superstar" guys who are stars but dont get that much hype. Iverson, Ben Wallace, CP3, these guys where superstars but parts of America wasnt sucking their dick like they do, Kobe, Lebron and the rest. This is kinda of a cop out.

Boooo 2k. Boooo.[/QUOTE]

Iverson on the cover three (or was it four?) years in a row (starting with the Dreamcast era) got a bit stale, though. Though I would totally be down for a Brandon Roy cover. I never understood how he wasn't the #1 pick that year, but I'm glad Portland got him. I like the team they are building. So take note, 2K, Brandon Roy on the cover next year.

I didn't comment on the game since I had a friend staying over, but game 1 was highly enjoyable for me to watch. However, unlike seemingly every single fucking person on any ESPN show, I'm sure as hell not ready to write the Magic off. I still think the Lakers will win in six (2 in LA, 1 of 3 in Orlando, game 6 in LA) but the Magic will not continue to play as they did in game 1, nor will they be swept.

It's funny how ESPN slurped LeBron all season long, but now that the Cavs have lost, they're strongly downplaying the significance of Orlando's victory over Cleveland. Orlando's the best all around team in the Eastern Conference, and they will not go down without a fight. They're still 1 piece (and maybe a new coach) away from a championship in my mind, but getting to the Finals through the opposition they have had to pass, with Stan Van Gundy as coach and no Jameer Nelson for 4 months, shows how good they are.

The Magic (and Howard) will come back strong in game 2 and it should be a tight Lakers victory. But the Magic could definitely win the game as well. I'm expecting 25 and 15 for Howard, and a solid 30-ish for Kobe with Gasol, Odom, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Bynum contributing double doubles.

Yeah, ESPN are such fair weather fans and I dont know if its part of the job beacuse they cover so many sports with so few anchors. Thats why I usually read the ESPN correspondents and not the analyst.

Its annoying how much they change who the greatest team of all time is. The magic are clearly not one of Americans teams so they are barely getting any play at all. Yeah, they got smashed in game 1 but they should recovery and switch up game plans and steal a couple.

But instead of talking about that, I just watched a video package on Kobe fucking angry face. Seriously and entire sportcenter package on the way he looks mean.

Anyway. The biggest thing the Magic need to do is to get Howard the damn ball. The Magic need to work inside out with the 3s not start with 3s and hope Howard can get the rebound. They also need to start making Kobe work on both ends of the court. Make him use as much energy on defense that he doesn on offense, run him off constant screens. Another than that....make your damn shots Magic.

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']Understand, but sometimes it seems like you out of the way to put him down. The Lakers are on a roll and he is the leader of that team. As much as you dislike them you gotta admit that he is gotten better over time. Yes The Magic are a great team. Cavs are 1-2 players away from unstoppable. The Nuggets are a strong team and will only get stronger, but right now i think the Lakers are the best team in the league. I aint mad at you though[/QUOTE]

See Soodmeg.. me and Sc4rfac3 notice your general pattern of down playing Kobe and the Lakers.You put him down to the size of an ant and then bash on the 2k10 cover when you know its good and Kobe has gotten better over time.

I hope the Lakers are ready to play tomorrow and come in with intensity to defeat the Orlando Magic. I also hope Bynum and Pau continue to contain D. Howard and Ariza, Kobe, Fisher stick to their 3 point shooters like glue and have them shooting a low percentage.

I might downplay Kobe a bit but you guys are so far up his ass you thats the only thing you see.

You think I am bashing him and I rarely ever say anything that negative about him. Its just that I am not shining the holy grail over his head. Thats the thing with someone like Kobe, his fans put him so far on a pedestal that if you are not right there with them you are hating.

But seriously...I am sick of talking about him. Can we get back to talking about actually basketball instead? Hell why cant you suppose laker fans talk about anyone else on the god damn team?

Lets talk Trevor Arazia who I personally think is the single best 6th man (although he starts now) in the league. His defense puts him above most players already and his ability to grind out 20 points sometimes is a god send. I think him, more than Bynum, Gasol, and Fisher is most of ther reason why the Lakers are doing so well.

I don't see the big deal. The Lakers are basically the Yankees of basketball. Lots of people just absolutely loathe the Lakers and Kobe like they do the Yankees and Arod, Jeter etc.

It's sports. You have your teams you always root for, and your teams you absolutely loathe and root against no matter who they are playing.

[quote name='mooshie78']I don't see the big deal. The Lakers are basically the Yankees of basketball. Lots of people just absolutely loathe the Lakers and Kobe like they do the Yankees and Arod, Jeter etc.

It's sports. You have your teams you always root for, and your teams you absolutely loathe and root against no matter who they are playing.[/QUOTE]

It's a lot different than that though. Here's a comparison for you:

Bonds = Hated

Kobe = Hated

Steroids....rape....cheating blah blah blah....the number one thing that pisses me off about Kobe is his whole "love my team/ i'm a nice guy" No motherfucker, you aren't.

Bonds embraced being 'that guy' the media hated, Kobe doesn't. Dare anyone to watch "Kobe Doin Work" and not cringe everytime he does his little "I'm going to talk in Spanish to Pau for the camera!"

Still....Kobe is one of the best to ever grace the game....but if he really wants to be like MJ he needs to embrace being hated by the media, which MJ was as well.

[quote name='ph33r m3']It's a lot different than that though. Here's a comparison for you:

Bonds = Hated

Kobe = Hated

Steroids....rape....cheating blah blah blah....the number one thing that pisses me off about Kobe is his whole "love my team/ i'm a nice guy" No motherfucker, you aren't.

Bonds embraced being 'that guy' the media hated, Kobe doesn't. Dare anyone to watch "Kobe Doin Work" and not cringe everytime he does his little "I'm going to talk in Spanish to Pau for the camera!"

Still....Kobe is one of the best to ever grace the game....but if he really wants to be like MJ he needs to embrace being hated by the media, which MJ was as well.[/QUOTE]
I love it when people bring this up. All i have to say is look at how the Lakers are playing as a team. Gasol is stepping up. Ariza is playing amazing ball. What do you think changed in the last year?

Ariza is freakin' bomb. I started noticing that when he came back and played minimal minutes in last years finals. Even though he just got out of an injury, I was wondering why in the hell Phil Jackson never played him more (maybe trust in productivity). He was basically the MOST energetic and effective player out there.

I still wonder to this day why he didn't get more minutes, IMO the Lakers would've had a way better shot at winning the title last season. I knew this guy was gonna be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back