The 2008 MLB Season Thread (Update: Phillies Won)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there it is... The post season spots are all finally filled. I'm excited and nervous for the Cubs first game tomorrow night. I'm especially nervous about Z pitching in game #2. If he's on he's unhittable but if things go bad early he can completely melt down on us.

Glad the Sox won, but it makes things more complicated for me as now I want both the White Sox and the Rays to win. Probably have to go with the Rays though, since they have never been in this position before and they are a solid team.

Definitely going Cubs over Dodgers though, and Cubs over Phillies if the Brewers get owned.

[quote name='NateNinja']You dodgers better knock the cubs out![/QUOTE]

I hope so. White Sox over Dodgers in an extra inning 7th game would be my preferred World Series finish.

The Dodgers won't take the Cubs. Especially if Z is on, but even if he's not, their pitching rotation is just too strong.

[quote name='syrupninja']The Dodgers won't take the Cubs. Especially if Z is on, but even if he's not, their pitching rotation is just too strong.[/quote]

I have a feeling the Dodgers take game 1. Lowe has experience, Dempster doesn't. And I've never been sold on Dempster. This was his best year by far, but I think he hits a wall in Game 1. Could be wrong, but I think Game 1 is going to the Dodgers. Kind of have a feeling Manny steps it up huge and leads them to the NLCS, I'd say WS but its Manny and having a hangnail would distract him.

Dodgers/Cubs is by far the best of the opening series. Both have starting pitching staffs that can win by themselves. Both have young blue chip starters making their first appearances in playoff games. Both have AAA hitters that especially crush in the big games. Both have wild card position players that may end up making the difference (Furcal, Fukudome).

I hope it's as great to watch as it looks to be on paper. Good luck Cubbies. Us Dodger fans get to finally see if our once and future ace (Billingsley) has the grapes to get it done when it matter most.

Can Torre make it happen?
Can Wood get it done?
Is the .366ba Furcal gonna show up?
Which Zambrano is going to show up?
Can Kershaw (the youngest player in the majors) control the best curveball in baseball with the world watching?
Does Dempster have the nuts?
Which Lowe is going to show up?

Can't wait!

Dodgers/Cubs the best for me as well since it's a team I hate and all my friends and family from back home in Illinois love, versus my 2nd favorite team, favorite in the N.L., and current home team.

Though the most important thing for me in the playoffs is whether or not the White Sox advance, and it'll be interesting to see if they carry over their late season momentum. It'll also be interesting to see how the young, scrappy Rays perform in their first playoff excursion, which I hope is "very poorly".

I'm watching as much baseball as I can. I'm watching the current game to see how the Brewers perform in their first postseason in 26 years (so far, it's not pretty) and I have a vested interest in the series because my former Glenwood High School schoolmate, Jayson Werth, plays for Philly. I want to see him do well.

The only series I'm really not interested in is Angels/Red Sox. I hate the Angels for obvious reasons, and I'm completely indifferent to the Red Sox, though I hope Boston sweeps. I'll watch the games if I don't have anything else to watch, or any activities going on, but that's it. Game 1 will be on tonight while I'm at the gym, so I can keep tabs while working out, anyway.

[quote name='yukine']I don't think anyone cares about the Angels/Red Sox, it's all about the Cubs/Dodgers and Rays/White Sox as far as I can tell.[/quote]
I care:D

[quote name='yukine']I don't think anyone cares about the Angels/Red Sox, it's all about the Cubs/Dodgers and Rays/White Sox as far as I can tell.[/QUOTE]

A shit ton of people here love the Angels and will be very deeply into the series. We're pretty much equidistant from LA and the OC (45-60 minute drive), but it seems like in MoVal we have many more OC transplants, and thus more Angels fans.

The first time I lived out here was in 2005, and I went to my (at the time) regular bar for the playoffs. During the ALCs, with my White Sox hat and shirt(s) on, it seemed like everyone in the bar wanted to kill me. All the other patrons were hardcore Angels fans and, well, the Sox kicked their red asses all over the place.

[quote name='Matt Young']A shit ton of people here love the Angels and will be very deeply into the series. We're pretty much equidistant from LA and the OC (45-60 minute drive), but it seems like in MoVal we have many more OC transplants, and thus more Angels fans.

The first time I lived out here was in 2005, and I went to my (at the time) regular bar for the playoffs. During the ALCs, with my White Sox hat and shirt(s) on, it seemed like everyone in the bar wanted to kill me. All the other patrons were hardcore Angels fans and, well, the Sox kicked their red asses all over the place.[/quote]

I don't remember anyone liking the Angels, but I never lived in OC.

Come on Crew, hit a long ball. :lol:

I think LAA is almost forgotten in this whole mess because they clinched the West so early. If they werent playing each other...i would say they are the clear favorites coming out of the AL...The LAA/BOS series will be the best IMO. Two playoff type managers with two huge teams colliding with each other. Scioscia vs Francona. Who will make the right moves to bring their team one step close the series.

Im just not at all intereted in the NL matchups because they are gonna bore me. Phillies should win out but you never know what can happen to them since they pulled a choke fest last year. The Cubbies should run away with it but since the Cubs won the season series 5-2 before the arrivals of Blake and Ramirez...that could change things. Maybe that playoff matchup iss interesting.

[quote name='integralsmatic']I think LAA is almost forgotten in this whole mess because they clinched the West so early.[/quote]

I agree with this.

Depending on which Boston team shows up, I think they will go to the WS. I'm hoping the White Sox get knocked out in the DS, and the Cubs have "good Z".

I think a Cubs/Red Sox WS would be the most watched...ever.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Man Lidge scares me everytime he gets on. I'd rather keep Hamels on for that last inning.[/QUOTE]
Houston had a good old chuckle today. Today, when it matters most, is why Houston shipped his ass out of town.

I lol'd at the wild pitch.

IMO the best series will be the sox/angels...I think tampa will crush the whitesox...the phils over mil and the cubs over the dodgers.

Called it. I had a feeling Dempster was going to get owned in that inning after the first walk, you can't walk that many in that point of the game and not get hurt.

I was expecting something from Manny though, not Blowme getting a Grand Slam.

1 pitch after my first post n Loney hits a jack to the deepest part of the yard

BEST PART
Seeing the crowds reaction
They thought Dempster would get out of the jam again. sike!

(still not over yet, but a great moment)

[quote name='yukine']I was expecting something from Manny though, not Blowme getting a Grand Slam.[/QUOTE]
How you gonna talk smack when the guy just jacked a grand slam? Sit quietly on the sideline when it counts. Like your team.

:D

[quote name='speedracer']Does Dempster have the nuts?[/QUOTE]
Guess we know. Control issues much?

[quote name='Matt Young']I can't stand Tony Gwynn as a commentator. His voice is just so damn annoying.[/QUOTE]

I'll take Tony Gwynn any day over that old Dick Stockon, who always mixes up names and can never seem to get the count right. Dick is almost as bad as listening to Joe Morgan talking about Albert Pujouls every game even if the Cardinals are not playing.

Poor Cubs fans, consistently disappointed, a lot of them in the crowd looked like they were going to cry. But they still show up, hell of a loyal base.

Still hoping the Cubs can win it, tomorrow is going to be interesting.

[quote name='yukine']Poor Cubs fans, consistently disappointed, a lot of them in the crowd looked like they were going to cry. But they still show up, hell of a loyal base.

Still hoping the Cubs can win it, tomorrow is going to be interesting.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, even as a White Sox fan, I feel for Cubs fans. The whole Young side of the family, save for my aunt who inexplicably became a Cardinals fan, are diehard Cubs fans. My poor grandma and grandpa in their late 70's may well die without seeing their team win the Series.

[quote name='dafoomie']Ellsbury was the player of the game today, on base 5 times and made an outstanding catch in the 8th.[/quote]
Yep, he's awesome. Great job by Lester pitching, and Papelbon was money as usual.

still suprised he got the start over crisp...crisp had a bit less then 1/2 the ab's...similiar rbi numbers similiar ba, better defense, was off in the sb dept, but considering how many more ab's ellsbury had, he was close to 40% of the sb he had

[quote name='Matt Young']Yeah, even as a White Sox fan, I feel for Cubs fans. The whole Young side of the family, save for my aunt who inexplicably became a Cardinals fan, are diehard Cubs fans. My poor grandma and grandpa in their late 70's may well die without seeing their team win the Series.[/quote]

Well I hate the Cubs, but I don't think the Brewers are going to be able to beat the Phillies. All I have left is the Cubbies on the NL side. :D

It's all up to Big Z now. Game two is a must win so he needs to be on his game. In game one the thing that sucks is Dempster threw probably 4-5 pitches that were good enough to get him out of the bases loaded jam but to the Dodgers credit even though they were fooled a bit they managed to get a piece of them and foul them off. What a sickening feeling that was when Loney hit that slam...

Also that pitch that Marshall threw to Manny was not a mistake, just a ridiculous swing. The pitch was almost on the ground when Manny reached down to knock it out of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back