The 2013-14 NFL Thread

I just saw that myself and was definitely puzzled. I'm not in the WTF mode yet, but I'm definitely having to recite "Don't Panic, Trust Ozzie" three times as much as the past few days. I would say we get a good chance of keeping Reed though with the way they are slashing through players. I knew we would be taking a number of losses on defense but any more and I might begin to wonder if they are going "Ray's gone, fuck it, let's start from scratch."

With Ray Ray, Kruger, Ellerbe and now Pollard gone, seems like they have a lot of faith that the D will remain effective. Otherwise, it's up to a Boldin-less Flacco to save the day.

Prepare for another 12 years for the next championship, Baltimore.

While I wouldn't necessarily want to wait 12 years for another super bowl, getting one every 12 years is still better than a lot of teams.

[quote name='ced']With Ray Ray, Kruger, Ellerbe and now Pollard gone, seems like they have a lot of faith that the D will remain effective. Otherwise, it's up to a Boldin-less Flacco to save the day.

Prepare for another 12 years for the next championship, Baltimore.[/QUOTE]

You say that as though it's unimpressive. That's a lot better than most teams do. Some teams haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years, lol.

EDIT - JP beat me to it, haha.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ask yourself, aside from Favre, when's the last time the Vikings signed/traded for an already proven star? (and before someone says Randy Moss from 2 years ago, he was not a proven star 2 years ago, he was a washed out star)[/QUOTE]

Darren Sharper? The Vikings love signing washed up Packers.

[quote name='JP']While I wouldn't necessarily want to wait 12 years for another super bowl, getting one every 12 years is still better than a lot of teams.[/QUOTE]

Valid. And at least I would trust Ozzie to still at least present a regularly competitive if not championship caliber squad.

Now I wonder if the Ravens will even try to get Reed. Seems like they are getting rid of all the strong personalities who might (or have) challenge Harbaugh. I mean, Pollard was one of the best defenders on the team and pretty much exemplified what the Ravens Defense is all about.

Damn. I heard conflicting reports but I believe it's now confirmed that Glover Quin has been signed to the Lions.

I was hoping the Texans would be able to hold onto Glover but I guess not. Makes me wonder if they're focusing all their attention on keeping Connor Barwin.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']And Goldson signs with the Bucs.[/QUOTE]

That contract is ridiculous. I guess you get bonus money for flying into piles 5 seconds late.

I like the guy but he's not worth the 3rd biggest safety contract in the league.

Looks like Welker to Denver will probably happen. I had a feeling all year he wouldn't be back in New England.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']And Goldson signs with the Bucs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DestroVega']That contract is ridiculous. I guess you get bonus money for flying into piles 5 seconds late.

I like the guy but he's not worth the 3rd biggest safety contract in the league.[/QUOTE]

As a Bucs fan, I agree. They have the cap room so it looks like they are just "big dicking it" right now. I wish they'd spend money on players that would actually, you know, improve the team though.

[quote name='HydroX']Rumor Round-Up:

ESPN's Insider claiming that the Packers are looking to sign RB Steven Jackson, but aren't willing to pay the man. haha. Jackson could end up in Atlanta if GB doesn't sign him.

Shonn Greene is being linked to Tennessee right now. Depending on where Jackson signs, Greene could be on the Titans or Packers this season.

I also read that Atlanta had some interest in Ahmad Bradshaw. Not sure how much weight that has though[/QUOTE]

SJ in Atlanta would be a dangerous situation the other teams in the NFL South. Green Bay better pay the man his money.

[quote name='DestroVega']Reggie Reggie Bush y'all to the Lions. Effectively ending Javid Best in Detroit if he can ever play again anyway.

I wouldn't use him as an example but that's not true that he was washed up. At the time he was traded to the Vikings he was still an elite talent with the Patriots.

Some teams don't sign or trade for high-dollar, big-name players. Steelers and Packers have pretty much never had players on their team they didn't draft themselves. It's all bout what philosophy your organization follows.[/QUOTE]

Well considering the Vikings still haven't won a Super Bowl and haven't even been there in over 30 maybe the current philosophy isn't working and they need to pull their heads out of their collective asses...

[quote name='HydroX']As a Bucs fan, I agree. They have the cap room so it looks like they are just "big dicking it" right now. I wish they'd spend money on players that would actually, you know, improve the team though.[/QUOTE]

Goldson is good, don't get me wrong, so he should improve them. But I think a more fair contract would be $35 over 5, 18 guarenteed.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Which brings us right back to my original point, which is that they keep trying to make it look like they're finding the diamond in the rough of the draft every year. They're trying to make Ponder seem elite and he's doing a good job of showing he isn't. I won't be surprised at all if they sit back and do nothing at this point just waiting for the draft to pick up a wide receiver rather than sign a proven winner. They keep doing the same thing over and over at almost every position, don't bother signing a proven star we'll just make one up in the draft. Nowhere has this been more apparent than in the QB position (Favre aside).

Ask yourself, aside from Favre, when's the last time the Vikings signed/traded for an already proven star? (and before someone says Randy Moss from 2 years ago, he was not a proven star 2 years ago, he was a washed out star)[/QUOTE]Herschel Walker.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Shonn Greene to Tennessee is official.[/QUOTE]

Nice...I really like that move in terms of giving CJ2K some breathers and extending the life of his career. Should give the Titans a decent RB tandem.

Adam Schefter just tweeted that Wes Welker is indeed going to Denver. Two year deal.

[quote name='DestroVega']Shonn Greene sucks but maybe he can do something in a backup roll.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but all they need him to be is a short yardage/goal line kind of back. I doubt they expect him to be breaking off 30 yard runs. Let him take the punishment. Save your superstar. That's how I look at it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, but all they need him to be is a short yardage/goal line kind of back. I doubt they expect him to be breaking off 30 yard runs. Let him take the punishment. Save your superstar. That's how I look at it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's fine for a "run him down so our real guy stays fresh" back lol

[quote name='pitfallharry219']If Detroit can stay healthy, I think they have a really good shot at winning the North this year.[/QUOTE]

Still think their coaching is horrible. And that's big in the NFL. More than people realize.

I'm not putting too much into this right now, but Ed Reed is going to be the first free agent to visit with the Texans. With Glover Quin now gone, the Texans have enough cap space to sign Reed.

I'll be watching intently when he's here tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where ever Reed goes, it likely won't be Baltimore. I expect Suggs and Ngata to be gone within 3 and 5 years respectively.

Surprised the Pats didn't go after Reed first thing.

[quote name='DNukem170']Where ever Reed goes, it likely won't be Baltimore. I expect Suggs and Ngata to be gone within 3 and 5 years respectively.

Surprised the Pats didn't go after Reed first thing.[/QUOTE]

Reed seemed tailor-made for New England.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Also heard they might make a run at Pollard...[/QUOTE]

Yeah...Bill Belichick...in his truck...in the parking lot.

Welker for 2 years for $6 million each year? What a steal.

New England could have made that offer.

Congrats to Denver fans. Good deal.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Laurent Robinson got cut by the Jags. I wouldn't mind seeing him return to the Cowboys. Robinson and Romo had incredible chemistry when he was here, and he did a good job filling in for Austin when he was hurt.[/QUOTE]

I really hope this doesn't happen. :( I've heard talk of him being in very bad shape health wise.

[quote name='renique46']lol @ Pats not paying Welker but will turn around and drop 31mil on Amendola[/QUOTE]

Why? He's basically Wes Welker light and can equal his stats if healthy. He also can play outside much better.

[quote name='DestroVega']Why? He's basically Wes Welker light and can equal his stats if healthy. He also can play outside much better.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention he's 4 years younger...

bread's done
Back