The 2013-14 NFL Thread

[quote name='PimpLimp']Titans have released Matt Hasselbeck. Did they sign another QB this off season? Cause I don't think Jake Locker is the answer.[/QUOTE]

Fitzpatrick to the Titans. he has been linked to the Titans since he got cut.
Hasslebeck to the Colts

Both are in preliminary disscussions.

[quote name='DNukem170']Ravens might be forced to open on the road. September 5th the Orioles are at home playing the White Sox. Goodell is trying to negotiate with Bud Selig to move the O's game to the afternoon.[/QUOTE]

I am curious why is this a problem? I remember when the Cowboys and the Rangers played at the same time. Those two are very close.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']
I am curious why is this a problem? I remember when the Cowboys and the Rangers played at the same time. Those two are very close.[/QUOTE]

Orioles Park at Camden Yards and Ravens Stadium share a parking lot. In one of the worst traffic cities in the US. It takes less than 5 minutes to walk from one stadium to another.

Goodell should just be glad Labor Day ends before then. Both Otakon and, more importantly, the Baltimore Grand Prix, will be done and finished.

With all the talk of rule changes, I'm happy the league decided to address the problem with peel-back blocks (also known as cut/chop blocks). If anyone saw the dirty play that took Brian Cushing out for the season, you'll know exactly why the rule needed to be changed.

I know the Texans themselves do a lot of chop blocking, so we'll see how this effects them.

[quote name='PimpLimp']With all the talk of rule changes, I'm happy the league decided to address the problem with peel-back blocks (also known as cut/chop blocks). If anyone saw the dirty play that took Brian Cushing out for the season, you'll know exactly why the rule needed to be changed.

I know the Texans themselves do a lot of chop blocking, so we'll see how this effects them.[/QUOTE]

Brian Cushing knows all about playing dirty, what with all the steroids he's taken.
c0bzw

c0bzw

c0bzw

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Brian Cushing knows all about playing dirty, what with all the steroids he's taken.
c0bzw

c0bzw
[/QUOTE]Thanks for making a point with no relevancy what so ever :roll:

When ANY player, in this case Brian Cushing, can have there legs/knees taken out from under them and get seriously hurt, something needs to change.

Saw that and it says he is looking at around $7 million a year, same pay as last year. I'm not sure either the Ravens or Texans paying that. I could see Baltimore possibly putting in an offer at $5.5 million. Maybe. Doubtful.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Brian Cushing knows all about playing dirty, what with all the steroids he's taken.[/QUOTE]
Haha.

Niners signed kicker Phil Dawson. Cool. Also they will use the draft to find Goldson's replacement.

I didn't pay attention to the proposed rule of RBs not being allowed to lower their head outside of tackle box because I thought nothing would come of it but they are talking about it like it is going to pass. Do these owners really think it's a good idea to have RBs run upright at the point of impact and have the defense spear them?

I really don't understand the Rosh Hashanah statement in regards to the Orioles/Ravens scheduling problem. I don't believe it's been covered on why it specifically is an issue for the Wednesday night game. Holidays in general don't matter to the NFL schedule for the most part.

[quote name='JP']I really don't understand the Rosh Hashanah statement in regards to the Orioles/Ravens scheduling problem. I don't believe it's been covered on why it specifically is an issue for the Wednesday night game. Holidays in general don't matter to the NFL schedule for the most part.[/QUOTE]

They don't matter at all. I think it is a little ridiculous for the Commissioner to say this. They play on Christmas, so the argument that religious holidays matter is flawed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Christmas_games

The Browns made a huge mistake not locking down Phil Dawson for a multi-year deal. They somehow now believe now that anybody over 30 isn't worth the money they'd ask for. We all know kickers age very quickly as the physical stress of football takes a toll on them once they hit 30 and Phil had a terrible year last year that earned only scorn from teammates and everybody across the league.

[quote name='JP']I don't believe it's been covered on why it specifically is an issue for the Wednesday night game.[/QUOTE]

The biggest problem (for the actual baseball teams) is rest. Chicago is in New York and the Orioles are in Cleveland on Wednesday and both are night games. The NFL might have to negotiate with the Yankees and Indians too.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Browns made a huge mistake not locking down Phil Dawson for a multi-year deal. They somehow now believe now that anybody over 30 isn't worth the money they'd ask for. We all know kickers age very quickly as the physical stress of football takes a toll on them once they hit 30 and Phil had a terrible year last year that earned only scorn from teammates and everybody across the league.[/QUOTE]

Can't tell if serious?

[quote name='DNukem170']The biggest problem (for the actual baseball teams) is rest. Chicago is in New York and the Orioles are in Cleveland on Wednesday and both are night games. The NFL might have to negotiate with the Yankees and Indians too.[/QUOTE]
I understand the problem with pushing the baseball game up in time, definitely get that one. I was more talking about Goodelll mentioning NFL couldn't do a Wednesday night game because of Rosh Hashanah. Everyone seems to just accept that and move on, but it's not been explained.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Can't tell if serious?[/QUOTE]
I went as heavy on the sarcasm as possible, so nobody should be able to believe that it's serious or they deserve to be banned from the internet.

[quote name='JP']I understand the problem with pushing the baseball game up in time, definitely get that one. I was more talking about Goodelll mentioning NFL couldn't do a Wednesday night game because of Rosh Hashanah. Everyone seems to just accept that and move on, but it's not been explained.[/QUOTE]Knowing the NFL they are probably just fronting that they care about this holiday. They will probably play the game on Wednesday but if not they can play any other day of the week(except thurs) and we will all watch it.

[quote name='DT778']Knowing the NFL they are probably just fronting that they care about this holiday. They will probably play the game on Wednesday but if not they can play any other day of the week(except thurs) and we will all watch it.[/QUOTE]
The cynic in me believe the NFL\Ravens ownership is going by that because of the decently sized Jewish population in Baltimore, to ingratiate themselves to the community at large. They continue the community manipulation by saying an afternoon of baseball and an evening of football makes for a great day to celebrate the city and it's franchises. Throwing everything towards the Orioles like they have been, and if the team doesn't play ball (I know it involves other teams and the MLB at large) it'll put them in a bad light.

Of course I could be overthinking it.

Christ now I'm committed to tracking the Ravens just because I want to see how Ozzie's Loria Gambit is going to unfold.

This isn't the first time the Ravens had a large amount of losses in free agency. They typically hold up fairly well afterward so I'm not concerned. Yet. Don't Panic, Trust Ozzie.

For me it's a bummer to see iconic Ravens like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis leave due to FA and retirement, respectively. It's a tough pill to swallow to recognize it's now essentially "Joe Flacco's Ravens" but that's the gameplan and we'll see how it turns out.

[quote name='ced']For me it's a bummer to see iconic Ravens like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis leave due to FA and retirement, respectively. It's a tough pill to swallow to recognize it's now essentially "Joe Flacco's Ravens" but that's the gameplan and we'll see how it turns out.[/QUOTE]I heard that one of the reasons the Ravens front office weren't pursuing Ed Reed as hard as you think they would've was because they were actually trying to shed their Lewis/Reed team identity and that they wanted to foster some new leadership and a new identity as well.

Or that could just be an excuse as to why they didn't want to pay him more, but who knows?

If the Browns kept Phil Dawson around, he would've easily been the Browns' All-Time Leading Scorer. He already has the record for All-Time Field Goals made with 305 to Lou's 264. Phil trails Lou Groza greatly in Extra Points with 350 of them compared to Lou's 810. This is also with Lou playing 12 or 14 games a year for 21 seasons, playing only 43 games more than Phil, and only making 50% or less of his FGs 11 of those 21 seasons.

[quote name='PimpLimp']I heard that one of the reasons the Ravens front office weren't pursuing Ed Reed as hard as you think they would've was because they were actually trying to shed their Lewis/Reed team identity and that they wanted to foster some new leadership and a new identity as well.

Or that could just be an excuse as to why they didn't want to pay him more, but who knows?[/QUOTE]
There were also rumors of the team trying to shed the mutiny leaders. I believe it's a mixture of everything that's been said: money, age, headstrong players. As a fan it sucks to see some of my favorites gone, but now is as good as time as any to clean house. The defense has showed it's age the last couple of years, why not clean house now. They've got some vets in places on the defense that makes sure it wont be a complete mess. I'd say they've got a solid core on the offensive side of the ball and now they are working on the defense to get a good, young squad together.

For me, as a fan, it all comes down to am I a fan of the team or just a player? Nothing wrong with either choice, although I personally get tired of Manning followers but that's something else entirely. I'm a Ravens fan, and while I loved watching Ed Reed and Ray Lewis with them gone I'm still a Ravens fan. I've seen other of my favorites come and go It'll suck to see Ed in a Texans uniform but just how it is anymore. It also sucks because I have new jerseys to buy at some point.

The cutting of Benard Pollard pretty much confirms the "cutting mutiny players" theory. Pollard only counted about a million or so against the cap and he was one of the D's best players last year. If Suggs wasn't making $13 million and wasn't in his prime he would likely be gone too.

[quote name='PimpLimp']I'm surprised no one else has shared this info yet, but Brian Urlacher and the Bears have split ways.[/QUOTE]

Really unexpected. I wonder if he retires or looks for another team, though I don't know a team with both the needs for a LB and the cap room to take on his contract.

I am happy the Cowboys are being quiet in free Agency. I believe only 1 player was signed. Rebuilding happens in the draft, not free agency. Though we made out last year with Carr.

[quote name='Superstar']I am happy the Cowboys are being quiet in free Agency. I believe only 1 player was signed. Rebuilding happens in the draft, not free agency. Though we made out last year with Carr.[/QUOTE]

They pretty much always build through the draft. Last year was really the first time in a long time that they went and spent money on FA's. I think I read on ESPNDallas.com that they signed 7 players last year and in the five years before that they had only signed 6 FA's.

[quote name='ced']Really unexpected. I wonder if he retires or looks for another team, though I don't know a team with both the needs for a LB and the cap room to take on his contract.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't have a contract.

[quote name='Superstar']I am happy the Cowboys are being quiet in free Agency. I believe only 1 player was signed. Rebuilding happens in the draft, not free agency. Though we made out last year with Carr.[/QUOTE]

They have zero cap room to sign any free agents anyway.

Haha Ed Reed just arrived in Houston and refused to speak to reporters till morning and it's not even 10:30 yet. But it looks like the deal he's signing is for 3 years, not the 2 year one that everyone was speculating. I'm curious to see how much they're paying him.

[quote name='perdition(troy']lulz @ the MLB not backing down. good for them.[/QUOTE]From reading the article, it seemed like the MLB and Orioles were willing to work with them on game time, but they weren't going to change the day of the game for the NFL and the Ravens.

Watch everyone in the NFL try and spin this to make it the Orioles' fault, probably trying to stir up the Anti-Angelos people at the same time. Heaven forbid they play on Wednesday.

I'm surprised he went with the Ravens, according to different sources the Ravens offer was lower than than the revised Broncos offer after FaxGate.

[quote name='JP']I'm surprised he went with the Ravens, according to different sources the Ravens offer was lower than than the revised Broncos offer after FaxGate.[/QUOTE]

The initial year is for $8.5 million. The other four years are for $26.5 million. Only $12 million overall is guarenteed. To compare, the Browns gave former Raven Paul Kruger $40 million with $20 million guarenteed.

I'm sure somebody will snatch him up, but the Steelers don't want James Harrison.

[quote name='JP']I'm surprised he went with the Ravens, according to different sources the Ravens offer was lower than than the revised Broncos offer after FaxGate.[/QUOTE]Dumervil is gonna make half a million more this season that he would've after he took the pay cut with the Broncos, so that might have something to do with his decision.

[quote name='PimpLimp']

Dumervil is gonna make half a million more this season that he would've after he took the pay cut with the Broncos, so that might have something to do with his decision.[/QUOTE]

nah, I think he was mad that the Broncos wanted to restructure his deal in the first place, begrudgingly accepted their offer (then luckily got out of it with the fax issue) and was happy to move to a different team.

Ravens signed S Michael Huff to a 3-year/$6-million deal. Yay.

Hopefully they can get an ILB before the draft. I prefer Karlos Dansby.

bread's done
Back