The 2013-14 NFL Thread

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Not to mention he's 4 years younger...[/QUOTE]

The key is him staying healthy though. He has had freak injuries.

[quote name='DestroVega']The key is him staying healthy though. He has had freak injuries.[/QUOTE]

But nothing that would shorten his career. Dude is legit. Most of his "freak" injuries were just odd occurrences. He should be alright going forward. If not, oh well, it's the Pats. They'll survive.

What's the sayin? It's better to let a guy go one year early than one year too late? I know that usually applies to trades but same thing could be said here. Welker is going to thrive in Denver but I think the Pats won't miss a beat. They are always one step ahead of the league.

Revis to Tampa talks seem to be quieting as NYJ want the Bucs' 13th Overall pick in this year's draft. Tampa is saying no way, but apparently they are open to trading the 2014 1st round pick. NYJ either aren't interested in that or there are other factors that are clogging the deal from going through.

As a Bucs fan, I would prefer not to see Revis in Tampa. Just seems like trouble waiting to happen. If he was whiny in NY, what's to say he won't be whiny in a small market like Tampa? Unless of course, they are winning... and in the NFC South... that's going to be tough.

The DB pool is pretty deep in free agency this year, so I think Tampa could just sign someone like Winfield or Asomugha and be just as well off for the time being. Eric Wright is rumored to be released after being a total bust of a signing (which I also thought "WTF" about when that happened), so really, almost any "name brand" veteran would be a welcome addition in Tampa... unfortunately, that's Revis included.

On a side note, I had no idea Laron Landry was available in free agency. I would have preferred to see him in a Tampa Bay uniform than Goldson, but eh.. I'm not running the team. lol

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Chiefs have cut Matt Cassel.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least Ryan Fitzpatrick now has a buddy to share his stories of "Remember when people actually thought we were good and we conned teams out of millions of dollars?" with. So, that's nice.

[quote name='HydroX']Pats may sign Cassel. Bills are also a "duh" destination.[/QUOTE]

I just can't even fathom what Buffalo would think Cassel brings to the table that is anything different than what they already had. Everything I've read says they're drafting Geno Smith. Unless they get Cassel for half a Snickers bar...I don't see the point.

Cassel gets a worse rap than he deserves. He's not a great quarterback, but he can make things happen when his line doesn't blow blocks and his receivers get open and actually catch balls. People gave him a lot of crap, especially this year, but fail to realize that he never had time in the pocket and the receivers dropped a LOT of catchable balls. I think I counted 3 or 4 balls in one game that were interceptions that hit the receiver dead center in the hands that they just let bounce off of them.

Yes, he's not super accurate and he doesn't scramble when he needs to, but he is a solid backup quarterback as long as you have a half decent offense. Unfortunately, other than Bowe and Charles, the Chiefs don't have much of an offense.

Ed Reed has just arrived in Houston. If the Texans can manage to sign him, they hands down have one of, if not THE best secondary in the NFL. The Texans front office aren't prone to making ridiculous offers, so I'm fine even if he's a rental as long as he's not getting paid a ludicrous amount of money.

If we manage to snag Reed, all we need is Brian Cushing to get healthy, another decent WR to line up opposite Andre, and some all around depth and I'll be a very happy man :D

EDIT: And rumor is that if Reed doesn't make Houston his new home, next stop is SF.

Matt-Cassel-Celebration-Fail.gif

That is all...

Yeah Matt Cassel isn't good but not as horrific as people make him out to be. Again, it comes down to coaching and he had no one who knew what they were ever doing in KC.

As far as Buffalo goes, they are fucked either way. Geno Smith? Good luck with that, he is a bust clear as day as I've ever seen. They are truly a much worse franchise than the Jets it isn't even funny.

Feel bad for the Bills fans who get to hear Geno's name called next month and then have another rebuild to go through 3 years from now.

Ed Reed wants $6million a year, he shouldn't even waste the time visiting San Fran if that's the case.

EDIT: Cassel signs with the Vikings.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']
As far as Buffalo goes, they are fucked either way. Geno Smith? Good luck with that, he is a bust clear as day as I've ever seen.
[/QUOTE]

I'm biased as a die hard WVU fan, but I think Geno can be a very good pro QB. That said, I think he really needs to go some where he can learn behind a veteran for a couple of years. He's not a Luck or RGIII or Russel Wilson who can play well day one.

He needs to learn more about making reads quickly and work on being more consistent as he's spot on accurate most of the time, but still had 2-3 sub par games where he was missing open receivers left and right. But otherwise, he's generally very accurate, doesn't throw a lot of picks and can make all the throws. Also has decent mobility (had the fastest 40 time among QBs at the combine) for a pocket passer. He just didn't run a lot due to the system and having broken his foot a couple times his freshman and sophomore years.

[quote name='DestroVega']
EDIT: Cassel signs with the Vikings.[/QUOTE]

Well, I doubt that means he's a starter (yet) but it certainly means Joe Webb goes back to 3rd string...

[quote name='PimpLimp']Ed Reed has just arrived in Houston. If the Texans can manage to sign him, they hands down have one of, if not THE best secondary in the NFL. The Texans front office aren't prone to making ridiculous offers, so I'm fine even if he's a rental as long as he's not getting paid a ludicrous amount of money.

If we manage to snag Reed, all we need is Brian Cushing to get healthy, another decent WR to line up opposite Andre, and some all around depth and I'll be a very happy man :D

EDIT: And rumor is that if Reed doesn't make Houston his new home, next stop is SF.[/QUOTE]While I would love for Reed to remain a Raven, his skills have eroded a lot. His coverage skills are relatively average, he has a hard time tackling, and he lives and dies by the INT.

[quote name='DNukem170']While I would love for Reed to remain a Raven, his skills have eroded a lot. His coverage skills are relatively average, he has a hard time tackling, and he lives and dies by the INT.[/QUOTE]He's still an upgrade over the safety that just left the Texans, Glover Quin. I think he'll be very complementary opposite Danieal Manning.

Got the Ravens Super Bowl Blu-ray in and there is an ad saying the game telecasts of the Ravens playoff wins (their "Greatest Games" series) is coming out in June.

I am curious what they are going to do about the Denver game on DVD.

Jake Long left St. Louis without a contract. It now becomes an interesting situation.

Kevin Kolb released after not agreeing to restructure. Here's a cute fact:

@evansilva: #Eagles emerged from 2011 Kolb trade with Brandon Boykin/Vinny Curry/DRC. #Cardinals emerged with QB mess & paid Kolb $20.5M per @caplannfl.

Unless Josh Cribbs is running from Ohio to Arizona to sign the deal with them, he still hasn't signed a deal with anybody yet. The only news of the deal that I see is based on a source from a Cleveland Plain Dealer article that has yet to be confirmed by the AP like every other signing I've seen on Yahoo's article listings. Josh has even posted goodbyes on his Twitter account like it's confirmed, but this was supposedly finalized two days ago. Something's going on, or not going on, there.

The Bucs have traded WR Arrelious Benn & a 2013 7th round pick to Philadelphia for a 2013 6th round pick & a conditional 2014 pick.

I'm sad that Steven Jackson is no longer a Ram, but I don't blame him in the slightest. Hopefully he's able to go to the playoffs for the first time since his rookie year. He definitely deserves it.

Kids today with their loud music, hula hoops and fax machines...

Seriously though, all these technological advances and we're still using fucking fax machines?

Hospitals/insurance agencies live and die by fax capabilities and it causes nothing but problems for the IT staffs that work with those groups as we are constantly having to find ways of emulating a piece of shit method of communication that should've died out a long time ago. Rant done.

Read through that entire article about Dumervil and I'd be firing my agent.

On the Reed stuff, I just wish it would be over with. I want him back in Baltimore but it seems the team is waiting on some pick ups until they see what Ed does or demands.

Hoping Tampa makes a power play for Dumervil. They need some defensive line help like crazy.

Tampa also won the grievance with Eric Wright, who is likely to be released pending any DB signings.

Greg Jennings contract was 5 years 45 million with 18 million guaranteed (essentially a 2 years 18 million dollar a year contract)...aka 1 million more than the packers offered him, which would have allowed him to stay with a All Pro qb and a receiver corps that makes him look better than he would on his own. good luck in minnesota, can't wait to see clay level you when you try to do your dance in the middle next season.

An extra mil a year doesn't exactly sweeten the pot when you go from catching throws from Rodgers to catching them from either Ponder, Webb or Cassel.

thats what I'm saying, it makes no sense to me. having a chance at being on a legit playoff team (if they fix that D) or playing on a team that might not even make the playoffs and don't know who their starting QB is...

[quote name='HydroX']Money talks. No matter who you are, one million dollars is a lot of dough.[/QUOTE]This is also probably the last big contract he'll see for the rest of his career. I understand why he wanted to get as much as he could.

I don't know what's more soul crushing to realize: that difference between the offers is roughly 20 years worth of my current salary or that Jennings will make over 300 years worth of my current salary...in 2 years...to football.

Patriots re-sign Aqib Talib, Kyle Arrington and Adrian Wilson but release Brandon Lloyd.

Jake Long signs with the Rams.

Maualuga gets a new deal with the Bengals.

Oh and like we all saw coming, Elvis Dumervil has fired his agent.

EDIT: And I've heard that Chad Johnson has been in town and might be working out for the Texans. All I have to say is please, for the love of god, do not sign Ochocinco. He's getting old, I don't like his ego/attitude, and I don't think he's a good match-up with Andre Johnson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titans have released Matt Hasselbeck. Did they sign another QB this off season? Cause I don't think Jake Locker is the answer.

I think Houston signing Chad Johnson would be fine as long as he accepted the league minimum. He could be a good #3 wideout on a team that needs more reliable players in the passing attack.

[quote name='HydroX']I think Houston signing Chad Johnson would be fine as long as he accepted the league minimum. He could be a good #3 wideout on a team that needs more reliable players in the passing attack.[/QUOTE]

Lets be honest, I know he played in 2011 but he didn't really play in 2011. Hasn't been a factor on a football field in 3 years coming into this season. No reason for him to ever make another roster.

Ravens might be forced to open on the road. September 5th the Orioles are at home playing the White Sox. Goodell is trying to negotiate with Bud Selig to move the O's game to the afternoon.

bread's done
Back