The 2013-14 NFL Thread

I think this is the first time I have ever seen a QB, RB or WR not taken in the first 3 picks. I'm quite surprised it took 8 picks before one actually got placed on the board. I'm not sure if this says something about the draft class or the current team needs.

EDIT: Fact checked myself. Last time a QB, RB, or WR wasn't selected in the first 3 picks was the 2000 draft (CLE - DE Courtney Brown, WAS - LB Lavar Arrington, WAS - T Chris Samuels) WR Peter Warrick was selected by the Bengals with the 4th overall pick.

Happy for Tavon Austin going so high. Hope Geno Smith doesn't fall too far.

Glad the Raiders traded the 3rd pick. With the positions they need better to pick a little later in the first round and also get the extra pick later on.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Happy for Tavon Austin going so high. Hope Geno Smith doesn't fall too far.

Glad the Raiders traded the 3rd pick. With the positions they need better to pick a little later in the first round and also get the extra pick later on.[/QUOTE]

Geno might fall out of the first.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Titans select Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Glad they can recognize that CJ is wasted without a top o-line in front of him. Can't let Locker keep taking bad hits for that matter either. This coupled with the Levitre signing will hopefully make for a formidable line in the coming years.

I had never heard that D.J. Hayden story before, but that is a crazy injury.

When D.J. Hayden collapsed to the practice turf on Nov. 6, he thought the wind in his chest was simply knocked out. But then the Houston Cougars senior cornerback began to feel cold. Then he felt tired.

"I'm looking around and I'm getting real sleepy," Hayden said during his meeting with the media at the NFL Combine on Sunday. "My left eye goes pitch black. I can't see out of it. I can see a little bit out of my left eye. I'm praying, 'Lord, help me get out of this one.'"

Houston's team doctor recognized the severity of the issue, sending Hayden to the hospital. Few, however, could have guessed just how dangerous and rare Hayden's condition was until he arrived.

More: NFL Combine coverage 2013 NFL Draft coverage
After tests revealed blood building up in his abdomen, doctors cut through Hayden's sternum -- Hayden gave the go-ahead by saying, "OK, just don't mess my abs up" -- when they discovered his torn inferior vena cava, a main highway for blood traveling between the heart and lower body.

"They just stitched the vein up where it was torn," Hayden said. "They said it was like sewing wet tissue paper. I don't know how he did it, but he did it."

The tear, described to Hayden by doctors as a "freak accident" usually seen in high-speed car crashes, is typically fatal 95 percent of the time due to extreme loss of blood. Hayden and a teammate crashed into one another during a passing drill.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/26/4034498/nfl-combine-2013-houston-cougars-dj-hayden-injury

Carolina takes Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah.

The draft so far:

1. Kansas City - Eric Fisher - OT - Central Michigan
2. Jacksonville - Luke Joeckel - OT - Texas A&M
3. Miami (from Oakland) - Dion Jordan - DE - Oregon
4. Philadelphia - Lane Johnson - OT - Oklahoma
5. Detroit - Ezekiel Ansah - DE - BYU
6. Cleveland - Barkevious Mingo - DE - LSU
7. Arizona - Jonathan Cooper - OG - UNC
8. St. Louis (from Buffalo) - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia
9. New York Jets - Dee Milliner - CB - Alabama
10. Tennessee - Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama
11. San Diego - D.J. Fluker - OT - Alabama
12. Oakland (from Miami) - D.J. Hayden - CB - Houston
13. New York Jets - Sheldon Richardson - DT - Missouri
14. Carolina - Star Lotulelei - DT - Utah
15. New Orleans - Kenny Vaccaro - S - Texas
16. Buffalo (from St. Louis) - EJ Manuel - QB - Florida St.
17. Pittsburgh - Jarvis Jones - LB - Georgia
18. San Francisco (from Dallas) - Eric Reid - S - LSU
19. New York Giants - Justin Pugh - OG - Syracuse
20. Chicago - Kyle Long - OG - Oregon
21. Cincinnati - Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame
22. Atlanta (from St. Louis) - Desmond Trufant - CB - Washington
23. Minnesota - Sharrif Floyd - DT - Florida
24. Indianapolis - Bjoern Werner - DE - Florida St.
25. Minnesota - Xavier Rhodes - CB - Florida St.
26. Green Bay - Datone Jones - DE - UCLA
27. Houston - DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Clemson
28. Denver - Sylvester Williams - DT - UNC
29. Minnesota (from New England) - Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tennessee
30. St. Louis (from Atlanta) - Alec Ogletree - ILB - Georgia
31. Dallas (from San Francisco) - Travis Frederick - C - Wisconsin
32. Baltimore - Matt Elam - S - Florida

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO...Chris Johnson's immediate tweet after the Warmack pick.

cjtweet.jpg

Love it.

At least NFL fans won't be a jerk to a kid.

The Saints pick Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas.

Edit: The highlight reel shows him wearing a different number on his jersey for almost every play.

[quote name='DNukem170']Raise your hand if you had E.J. Manuel as the first QB taken.[/QUOTE]

I had nassib going first due to the Syracuse connection but Manuel is a shocker

I am happy with the trade as a Cowboys fan. All the guys I felt like we "needed" to get were gone. I also think Geno will fall to the 2nd round.

[quote name='DestroVega']Geno might fall out of the first.[/QUOTE]

It's looking like it as none of the remaining teams need QBs. Unless someone trades up to end of first to get him I guess.

Sucks for him, but he's the type to just have a chip on his shoulder about it and work harder to prove people wrong.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The only place Geno Smith could be picked is if Minnesota wants to go nuts again with one of their picks.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Shocked the Bills went with EJ Manuel. I can't see him ever starting an NFL game (barring being the only healthy QB on a team) based on what I saw of him in college. Underwhelmed with lots of talent around him.

Even though the Texans pretty much have their pick of the litter when it comes to WRs, I don't know what they're gonna do. They're notorious for drafting based on value and not need. Which I'm fine with, but I'm just curious as to which way they decide to go.

And they go with DeAndre Hopkins. Let's see how this kid lines up against Andre Johnson.

bread's done
Back