The 2013-14 NFL Thread

I hate it. Sure it would have gotten a deserving Arizona team in this year, but who would have gotten in from the AFC? A Steelers team that lost their first four or a Dolphin team that scored 1 TD in their final 26 possessions needing one win to make the playoffs. That's garbage.
Greed. That's all this is.

There is no other reason to expand the playoffs. If they were worried about teams like Arizona, then the NFL should eliminate divisions and base it strictly on overall record.

With that said, I feel a little optimistic about their chances against Carolina. Very different Niner team flying to Carolina next week. If Steve Smith is still hobbled next Sunday, I like my chances.
Smitty said he was going to play. I doubt he'll be 100%, but he'll be out there. Speaking of Smiths, wasn't Aldon hurt during the game Sunday or was that just cramps?

On the expansion of the playoffs: I hate the idea. No reason to do so other than greed.

Smitty said he was going to play. I doubt he'll be 100%, but he'll be out there. Speaking of Smiths, wasn't Aldon hurt during the game Sunday or was that just cramps?

On the expansion of the playoffs: I hate the idea. No reason to do so other than greed.

Smith just had leg cramps as he just missed a portion of the 3rd and 2nd quarters so he should be fine.

The injury to Carlos Rodgers and to a lesser extent Wright are the ones to also watch for since Carolina employs 3 wide receiver sets whenever Ginn steps onto the field. Rodgers would then be matched up with Smith or LaFell.

Practices haven't occurred for the week yet so will have to keep an eye on the injury reports.

Welcome to the new era of playoffs, where 9-7 will pretty much guarantee you spot in the post season with the occasional season of having an 8-8 make it from both conferences.

Good to know Panthers coach Ron Rivera is just happy to be there.

"Being the underdog I guess takes pressure off [us] and puts pressure on them,'' Rivera said Monday. "Now they have expectations for them. But we're at home. We're going to come out, show up and do the best we can.

He must be trippin is he not feeling the pressure to win in the playoffs as much as the other teams in it.

Most of the local radio guys have already written off the panthers and assume the 49ers are going to walk all over them.

Carolina isn't a place where the panthers feel a lot of pressure. Most fans are just happy to be back in the playoffs.

With all that said, 89 always shows up in the postseason. I can't pick against that dude.

I don't think most people gave the Panthers a shot to begin with, but after San Fran's win on Sunday, they have been mostly written off.

Seattle and Denver are the ones with all the pressure.

I hate the playoff bit too.  The NFL has a GREAT playoff system right now and theres no need to adjust it at all.  I know greed and money is the reason why but as a fan I really don't like it.

Broncos and Seahawks are overrated this year.

Peyton Manning will choke once again in the playoffs against San Diego this week.

I give the Saints a good shot at beating the Seahawks this week. 

I think the Panthers surprise a lot of people this weekend as well.

New England will take care of business against the Colts this week. 

Most of the local radio guys have already written off the panthers and assume the 49ers are going to walk all over them.

Carolina isn't a place where the panthers feel a lot of pressure. Most fans are just happy to be back in the playoffs.
Before and during the middle of the season during the winning streak, I would have agreed with that. Now, 12-4, number 2 seed in the NFC, and the number 2 defense in the NFL? I realistically expect a NFC Championship berth and a very good showing at a minimum.

So three games on Saturday and Sunday for wildcard weekend? That may devalue the games a bit in my opinion
I saw and heard earlier that the idea of Friday/Monday games have been tossed around by Goodell as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

With all that said, 89 always shows up in the postseason. I can't pick against that dude.
Well on paper it should be a good competitive game. I like the Niners chance but I wouldn't mark it down as a done deal.

Old news, but Josh McDaniels is staying in New England.

The Browns say they want an experienced coach, but pretty much all the candidates have never been a head coach before. Unless they want to grossly overpay for Jon Gruden.

1174835_568248183251915_1735967394_n.jpg

He mad, he real mad.

also hope this repeats

EVmJc4N.gif

Hrm... Carlos Rodgers missed practice again yesterday. Hamstring injuries can really force players out for many weeks and it's only been less than 2 weeks since he hurt his. Even though the Niners have some depth at CB, this does not sound good for their playoff run. Secondary is their relative weakness. Yesterday's practice report sounded ominous to me.

Maybe the Ric Flair distraction will keep the Panthers minds unfocused. They are 0-6 off a bye under Ron Rivera.

Go Niners! :)

Carlos Rogers is not gonna play Sunday. IMO

Parrish Cox played well last weekend especially considering he hadn't been with the team virtually all season.

Hmm... today's practice report has Steve Smith downgrading himself.  Odd though that he went from "71%" to "57%" but I think the important development is he's likely to be less effective come Sunday in whatever capacity he's available for. 

[quote name="renique46" post="11430009" timestamp="1389253907"]
1174835_568248183251915_1735967394_n.jpg

He mad, he real mad.

also hope this repeats

EVmJc4N.gif
[/quote]

I really hope the Chargers win the Super Bowl now.

For as good of a coach as Harbaugh is, the play-calling is disgusting. First and goal at the 4 and they throw 3 straight passes? Ok.

Well isn't that a forgone conclusion at the end of this drive?
He was criticized as well in the final failed drive at the Super Bowl as well for similar play calling.

It amazes me that the 49ers are being picked almost exclusively by the media for this weekend. The Panthers can make a huge statement by winning. They won in Candlestick, I don't see why they couldn't win at home.

Now, back to sending death threats to Ric Flair. :D

How bout the 49ers are a better team? They're 40-13-1 in the last 3 years including playoffs. It's a battle tested team against a young (mostly) first-time playoff squad.

When Carolina beat them they didn't have Crabtree. Since his return the offense went from averaging 303 yards to 361. Kaepernick is a totally different player with him. They also didn't have Aldon Smith.

They should be favorites and like I said last week, they were sorta disrespected how many people were picking the Packers.

That said the game should be close and Carolina can win it for sure. Nobody should be surprised at who's favored though.

When Carolina beat them they didn't have Crabtree. Since his return the offense went from averaging 303 yards to 361. Kaepernick is a totally different player with him. They also didn't have Aldon Smith.
Uh...he played. Limited action, but it was his first game back. In any event, I'm not surprised at all of the 49ers love.

Picks for the weekend (went 1-3 last week):

New Orleans Saints @ Seattle Seahawks

Indianapolis Colts @ New England Patriots

San Francisco 49ers @ Carolina Panthers

San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos

My picks: (Last week I picked (although I didn't post it) SD, PHI, IND, and SF, so I went 3-1.)

Chargers over Broncos

Panthers over 49ers

Patriots over Colts

Seahawks over Saints (closer than last time)

What I'd like to see:

Chargers

Panthers

Patriots

Seahawks

What I think will happen

Broncos

49ers

Colots

Seahawks

Anyways... as a NE fan we've got to think that any win here on out is just due to coaching and execution right? I mean when you consider how many key players we have out to injury and how few stars we have on offense compared to last year.

I know the game is in NE and the home team is always given a handful of points but I just don't see how A) NE puts up a lot of points of its own and B) how their defense limits luck from finding targets in the endzone all game.

Chargers will win it all. While I like Carolina, SF will probably go to New York so that the Chargers can even the score from the Super Bowl 20 years ago.

Let's see if Seattle's pass interference on every play getting national attention changes they way the game is called today.

I want all the road teams to win this week so those are my picks.

Forgot to post mine, after going 1-3 last week who knows how I'm going to do. Chargers, Patriots, Saints, 49ers.

lol 1st hold on New Orleans finally being called in the 4th, where was the flag the other 28 times in this game through 3 quarters.

EDIT: omg 2  called now Goodell is going to fire this crew, we cant have this.

fucken Colston.

Edit: or maybe that was play call but still, we were robbed of a last play hail mary.

Kept forgetting to share this funny text conversation posted on Grantland on Monday:

Shea Serrano: Andrew Luck is a human with a cell phone, so I sent him some text messages after Saturday's game.

Me: Yo!
Andrew: hello
Me: holy christ man what a game!
Andrew: it was neat, I thought
Me: my boner will probably never go away
Andrew: what?
Me: nothing nvm congratulations
Andrew: thank you
Me: I was watching at home with my sons
Andrew: yeah?
Me: yeah. It was crazy. I was telling them how you're from houston
Andrew: well, not technically. I was born in D.C. and lived in London and came to Houston later
Me: YOU'RE FROM HOUSTON, ANDREW. YOU'RE ALL WE HAVE ANYMORE, ANDREW. DID YOU EVEN WATCH THE TEXANS, ANDREW? DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM US, ANDREW.
Andrew: I heard they kicked the Texans out of the league because of how sucky you guys were this season
Me: :'(
Me: i have feelings, andrew
Me: what were you thinking when you recovered that fumble and dove into the end zone? Because I was thinking OHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU WHAT JUST HAPPENED
Andrew: same
Me: when you threw that bomb to Hilton for the lead I was so excited that I jumped up, screamed, picked up my son and then spiked him on the floor like a football
Andrew: is that true?
Me: YES!
Me: no
Me: but you get it
Andrew: I get it
Me: what was your favorite thing to do when you were in Houston, which is where you are from
Andrew: I just play football. That's it.
Me: but besides that
Andrew: I guess I liked studying.
Me: boooooooooooring
Andrew: did you know I was co-valedictorian?
Me: so was I
Andrew: really?
Me: YES!
Me: no
Me: :(
Me: but one time in high school I learned all the words to Mase's Harlem World album in like two days, so my parents were pretty proud of me too
Me: what were you thinking when you guys were down by 700 points?
Andrew: I thought we just needed to buckle down and play Colt football and we'd be able to get right back in the game.
Me: stop
Me: for real
Me: because I was thinking WTF IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW THE DEVIL IS REAL IS ANDREW LUCK REALLY ABOUT TO LOSE A PLAYOFF FOOTBALL GAME TO ALEX SMITH
Andrew: same
Me: Alex Smith is the worst.
Andrew: he's not
Me: I mean, I know. but you get it. He's just so alexsmithy. His name isn't even cool.
Me: Alex Smith.
Me: I can't even say it without making a smarmy face.
Me: Alex Smith. Gross. It sounds like the name of someone who sells mattresses. "I got a mattress guy. Alex Smith. Great mattress guy." Quarterbacks should have cool names. Joe Montana is a boss-ass name. Tom Brady. Joe Namath. Troy Aikman. Peyton Manning. Drew Brees. All of them, great names. Warren Moon. HIS NAME WAS WARREN GODDAMN MOON THAT'S THE ILLEST SHIT I EVER HEARD IN MY WHOLE LIFE THE ONLY THING BETTER WOULD'VE BEEN IF SOMEONE WAS NAMED ANDY ASTEROID OR WHATEVER
ME: OH FUUUUUU I'M GONNA START CALLING YOU ANDY ASTEROID
Andrew: don't
Me: dude, andy asteroid is definitely like 1,000 percent better than Andrew Luck.
Andrew: it's not
Me: :/
Me: how are you feeling about New England next week?
Andrew: it's gonna be a tough game
Me: are you going to try to start losing by four touchdowns and then come back and win
Andrew: I am not
Me: good, good
Me: because if you keep doing that I'm going to run out of sons to spike on the floor
Me: #RIPMySonISpikedOnTheFloor
Andrew: stop
Me: sry
Me: all right, man. good luck next week.
Andrew: thank you
Me: it's gonna be great
Andrew: hope so
Me: tom terrific vs. andy asteroid
Andrew: nope
Me: dang
Andy Asteroid is not having a good start.

bread's done
Back