The 2013/2014 NBA Thread (LBJ is a Cav)

[quote name="kdiddy1989" post="11890374" timestamp="1404346808"]That's a nice price for a guy like Mills. They're in the mix for Pau Gasol as well. Making the right moves to defend that title.

Also, Lance Stephenson turned down a 5yr/44mil deal to return to the Pacers. Hornets, Bulls and Lakers are all interested now according to Chris Broussard

Second also, Melo is in Dallas this very moment! Spent 6 hours in Houston today. He won't be in Dallas long as he has a flight to catch tonight that'll land him in LA for tomorrow's meeting with the Lakers.[/quote]

Stephenson is a good player but he's an absolute head case. I'm not giving him more than 5/45. He can disrupt team chemistry and needs to be handled with care.

Stuff about to go down. The whole Melo wearing Lin's # thing blew up a bit, Rockets with the failed damage control
well, he is still laughing all the way to bank, since the rocket will still be paying him $15 million next year, if i am not mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Dirk and the Mavs have agreed on a 3 year deal that'll likely see him out to the end of his career. Marc Stein is reporting the deal is in the 30 million dollar range.

That's right in line with what KG (3yr/34mil) and Duncan (3yr/30mil) did at that stage in their careers.

Don't know if its false or not, but Woj said Lebrons agent informed Miami he wouldn't resign with them. I have no idea why these teams are looking at anybody but phoenix, chicago and maybe the Clippers (if they had cap space) in the fa market.

Lakers offer Melo 96 mil for 4 years.

So Dirk and the Mavs have agreed on a 3 year deal that'll likely see him out to the end of his career. Marc Stein is reporting the deal is in the 30 million dollar range.

That's right in line with what KG (3yr/34mil) and Duncan (3yr/30mil) did at that stage in their careers.
Except KG hasn't produced in years lol

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron left Miami. The "Big 3" have handicapped Riley's offseason. He can't recruit any free agents because their cap situation, and all the notable free agents are signing with teams left and right. If LeBron doesn't make a decision soon, there would be no one left that could upgrade the Heat's roster. 

Seems like all of Melo's "winning" talk was just that...talk. Multiple sources now saying he will likely take the Knick money.
It's one thing if he says he thinks the Knicks can compete by improving the roster, but it's complete bullshit when he says that and then also takes all that money, handicapping them even further.

He thinks they can win if Phil brings Pau Gasol to New York. LOL.

Yeah, it is a joke. I actually am pretty impressed with everything Jackson has done so far, but even the most brilliant front office mind is not going to make the Knicks a title contender anytime soon. No cap space and no draft picks. Guess we will wait and see, though.

If I was Melo I would take the money too. 20 years from now would he rather have a little metal ring or an additional $20 million in the bank? I could think of a lot of nice things to spend that $20 million on...

Not that much extra money though. Look at what he pays in taxes in NY as opposed to Texas. Factor in cost of living as well. Also that fifth year could be had if he wanted. Just make the fourth year an option and opt out after 3. Probably still young enough to get something close to max.

Not knocking the guy for taking the money (though, as was pointed out above, it's not that much more, depending on where he could have gone). Just saying that Melo himself should not have kept putting it out there that was winning was the most important thing. It clearly wasn't.

Lose an extra year of guaranteed money (and the $30 or so million extra guaranteed from NY) and he risks his body crashing and burning like Wade's. Wade has the advantage of knowing he's already a local hero who will get a cushy contract for services rendered, and by opting out now he can now secure the years he needs to get him closer to retirement at an inflated value.

Anthony's prospects would be more bleak if an injury took him down before he has anything more to show than some early playoff exits. And he can still work out some player option years in NY if things are looking good, same as Houston.

And as for living in NYC vs Houston, there's a lot to be said about not uprooting your family, especially when you're already playing in the city you and your spouse are originally from. I agree that he's saving money by playing in Texas. But with his income he would probably consider that a small price to pay to be in his more desirable city. And if he chose to play for Houston he may also choose to remain a NYC resident which would eliminate some of the tax savings.

Diaw back with the Spurs, 3 year $22 million. Solid deal considering how great he's played

Farmar signs with the Clippers, 2 years $4.2 million. Another good pickup for the Clippers.

Bit disappointed the Lakers didn't want to pick up Farmar if they knew he was coming that cheap (and most likely wanted to stay in Los Angeles) but I guess with the PG they bought in the 2nd round to go with Marshall and Nash they figure they've spent enough at one position. Would prefer more depth for when Nash goes down rather than play a couple of young guys, so hopefully they can pick up a combo guard at least through free agency/the D-League. (Unless they just plan for Clarkson to be that combo guard. Don't really know much about his play.)

Bit disappointed the Lakers didn't want to pick up Farmar if they knew he was coming that cheap (and most likely wanted to stay in Los Angeles) but I guess with the PG they bought in the 2nd round to go with Marshall and Nash they figure they've spent enough at one position. Would prefer more depth for when Nash goes down rather than play a couple of young guys, so hopefully they can pick up a combo guard at least through free agency/the D-League. (Unless they just plan for Clarkson to be that combo guard. Don't really know much about his play.)
Might as well let who they have play, see if they develop at all. Lakers will be terrible next year, no need to sign veteran backups.

It probably has to do with the rumor of them offering Melo the max. If that's true, then they can't really spend $$ until Melo either signs or goes with another team. Melo + Kobe + Nash eats up all their cap space. 4.2 million over 2 years for Farmar is a pretty great deal, especially how some role players are getting paid so far.

Who would have thought that out of the big 3, Wade is the only one who hasn't really said he wants a max deal.
Coz he cant really command a max deal anymore. His production has been going down coz of his problematic knees. It is arrogant to ask for a max deal if you cant really perform 100% all the time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-lebron-james--agent-has-given-cavaliers-hope-of-king-s-homecoming-082339828.html

There's an interesting twist in the Lebron James free agency story. Lebron's agent is supposedly pushing for Cleveland to make room for a max deal with Lebron this year, so he's either a really bad agent that'll risk making his client a villain in Cleveland again or Lebron's all but confirmed to be coming back. I really hate putting any stock into this stuff.
Unless they have a direct quote from Rich Paul, this is nothing more than speculation. The sports media knows how to push our buttons. Sports journalism today boils down to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources aka click-bait. I hope for sake of the city and fans that Lebron goes back but all this speculation around him, Melo and every other FA is ridiculous. You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

According to Chris Broussard, Lance Stephenson feels like he got offered a lowball contract at 5yr/44mil. IMO, that is a very reasonable offer for a guy like him. I hate that he feels that way because I know Cuban will pursue him if he's still available after this Melo Lebron circus is over.

Dallas and Vince Carter are nearing a deal for another year in Dallas.

Anybody else obsessed with free agency? I swear I check my phone constantly for updates. Even though Melo probably isn't going to Chicago, I just want him to pick a team so that the Bulls can't start making other moves!

Yea i'm like that too haha. Once LeBron and Melo sign things should start rolling. 

Also

Channing Fyre signed a 4 year $32 million deal with the Magic. Very questionable move by Orlando.

Anybody else obsessed with free agency? I swear I check my phone constantly for updates. Even though Melo probably isn't going to Chicago, I just want him to pick a team so that the Bulls can't start making other moves!
I wonder if that was intentional considering the Bulls owner.

Knicks rumored to be in talks with 76ers to dump Amare's expiring contract, giving them a little more room to work with this year. Sixers likely to want Shump, though, to make the deal worth their while.

10481019_815624298470198_3227838185906703230_n.jpg

Cavs, Celtics, and Nets 3 way trade

Nets get Jarrett Jack & Sergey Karasev

Celtics get Thornton, Tyler Zeller, & future 1st

Cavs clear up cap space to offer LeBron the max.  

It sucks to see Tyler Zeller and Sergey Karasev go before they got a chance to shine, but Karasev would get lost in the crowd being James, Wiggins, Waiters, and others. They need a new center big time with just Andy being the lone guy there.

That 1st is from Cleveland.
Which first? They have a bunch of them.

bread's done
Back