The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
[attachment=37686:F6CC1206-F785-46A1-87AD-FA22B99C51E3.jpeg][attachment=37685:6F3799BD-C736-4402-8134-5BBC3629AAC0.jpeg]

Well well well, Gamestop you always 1up me every time I order.

I'm playing through that right now. It's actually not a bad game if you enjoy JRPGs. This is one of the first JRPGs that I know of to modernize NPC dialogue; in older games, you would have to go up to an NPC, press the interact button, and most of them didn't say anything useful. But in this game, the NPCs start talking as you walk by them, so you're able to tell right away from a glance if they have anything helpful to say. It would go on to be even better in FF7 Remake, where every dialogue line is voiced.

More than two, if you know
notorious-big-if-you-dont-know.gif

What is the process if you buy games online and they are not complete?  Can I return/exchange in store?   Do they prorate the money you get back?

What is the process if you buy games online and they are not complete? Can I return/exchange in store? Do they prorate the money you get back?
Not sure what you mean by prorate. But if a game comes incomplete you can return it in the store

PUR monthly coupon still works on $5 Xbox as of right now. Employee at my store had clearly seen the memo go out but it was still a SKU in the system and the coupon applied no worries. Store Manager wasn't aware of any memo and I managed to get both of my accounts rung up and out the door before he may have found it.

Odd question -- was the 2022 thread locked and hidden?

I have notifications there are new update in it, but when I click on the link I get a "You do not have permission to view this topic" error.  That's... different.

Odd question -- was the 2022 thread locked and hidden?

I have notifications there are new update in it, but when I click on the link I get a "You do not have permission to view this topic" error. That's... different.
Conversation went WAAAAY off topic and they shut it down, after a few days....

I'm playing through that right now. It's actually not a bad game if you enjoy JRPGs. This is one of the first JRPGs that I know of to modernize NPC dialogue; in older games, you would have to go up to an NPC, press the interact button, and most of them didn't say anything useful. But in this game, the NPCs start talking as you walk by them, so you're able to tell right away from a glance if they have anything helpful to say. It would go on to be even better in FF7 Remake, where every dialogue line is voiced.
so5 is playable but is low budget and low on content. I didn't struggle with the protect Ann segments besides the 3rd one that's outdoors with infinite spawning enemies. It's very much a stat check.

The other thing that was super shitty was the space battle you have to sit through. Someone who submitted that has no sense of shame. It's worse than the concert without singing in cold steel series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you mean by prorate. But if a game comes incomplete you can return it in the store
For example - buy 4 for $40... If I return 1, do I get $10 back, or does it make me lose the deal and I get a lesser amount back? (Assuming all 4 games were $10)

For example - buy 4 for $40... If I return 1, do I get $10 back, or does it make me lose the deal and I get a lesser amount back? (Assuming all 4 games were $10)
you get 10 back they never walk back on deals

you get whats on the receipt

theres rare instances some store manager thinks theyre god and will demand you return all the games

in that case just walk out and never go to that store again

Around Christmas I bought two Shining Fates boxes and opened one, which was very obviously re-sealed. Was going to return one but just saw that you can't actually return them??? Am I just shit out of luck and out ~$70?

Figured buying from Gamestop would be fine but I guess with things shipping from stores it's even more of a gamble... makes sense that they don't accept returns but boy it stings.

EDIT: Sure enough the packs in the 2nd one were re-sealed as well, shocker. 

Just a random FYI - the $5 monthly coupon works with a 4/$40. Makes one of the $10 games $5.  :razz:

Edit: In-store

Maybe 2023's Black Friday we'll see the PS5 Slim with God of War for $430! :cold:

Also, anyone hear about if/when we can pre-order any non-standard versions of Zelda Tears or (hopefully) console? (possible design leaked posted online below:)

WLFpaTZ.png
*Sigh* I just recently bought the scarlet and violet oled switch, but this one looks really nice.

Maybe 2023's Black Friday we'll see the PS5 Slim with God of War for $430! :cold:
I'm patiently waiting for the PS5 Slim. Here is a video of the interchangeable disc drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5vARUJkuss

Yep - instore. No tax for some with trade credit!

Also, Xenoblade Torna qualifies for the 4/$40 if youre local stores have it :razz:
Torna is $39.99 in store, it will not work in store for the 4 for $40.

Hmm. I purchased the $17.99 digital Rune Factory 5 (Switch) online using a gift card -- they cancelled the order within 30 minutes, with the "problem with payment method / possibly out of stock" email.

The item is still available on their website.  I thought SOMEONE said it might be a price mistake, but I can't find that message anywhere...

Figured buying from Gamestop would be fine but I guess with things shipping from stores it's even more of a gamble... makes sense that they don't accept returns but boy it stings.

EDIT: Sure enough the packs in the 2nd one were re-sealed as well, shocker.
how is it resealed when they dont take returns anymore? they stopped taking them for about a year if i remember correctly.

how is it resealed when they dont take returns anymore? they stopped taking them for about a year if i remember correctly.
It's an older set, almost 2 years old. All the packs inside had two small slits in the front and the seal on the backside was either crinkled or bent, some of the packs didn't even have the proper amount of cards(one pack had 13 cards instead of 10 and an energy) and/or not in the right order(5 common/uncommon, reverse holo, rare, energy, 3 common/uncommon). Another way to tell is the codes for the online game at the end of the pack, if that's black(or white depending on the set) the rare is going to be a holo or better. Every pack had the same color border for that code even if it was "better". If it means anything it came from a store in York, PA.

It's an older set, almost 2 years old. All the packs inside had two small slits in the front and the seal on the backside was either crinkled or bent, some of the packs didn't even have the proper amount of cards(one pack had 13 cards instead of 10 and an energy) and/or not in the right order(5 common/uncommon, reverse holo, rare, energy, 3 common/uncommon). Another way to tell is the codes for the online game at the end of the pack, if that's black(or white depending on the set) the rare is going to be a holo or better. Every pack had the same color border for that code even if it was "better". If it means anything it came from a store in York, PA.
You sure it was a store? York, PA is the location of one of their warehouses.

Huh, didn't realize the Scamazon issue was making its way to GameStop now. CCG resealing is becoming a pretty hot topic now that product is being scalped by the parent companies. Inflation is one thing, but they're just blatantly price-gouging now and thus people are finding new ways to fight back. I think Walmart actually stopped carrying product because it was all getting stolen lol. When I picked MtG back up about two years ago, Target even had boatloads of product for me to choose from but I've noticed the shelves are practically bare almost all the time over the last year or so, unless it's a shitty set nobody wants heh (which is happening more frequently it seems).

But yeah, NEVER buy from Amazon now because you're gambling resealed. I'd always go the LGS route when a set first dropped when I was flipping paper. So glad I got out again over a year ago.

Huh, didn't realize the Scamazon issue was making its way to GameStop now. CCG resealing is becoming a pretty hot topic now that product is being scalped by the parent companies. Inflation is one thing, but they're just blatantly price-gouging now and thus people are finding new ways to fight back. I think Walmart actually stopped carrying product because it was all getting stolen lol. When I picked MtG back up about two years ago, Target even had boatloads of product for me to choose from but I've noticed the shelves are practically bare almost all the time over the last year or so, unless it's a shitty set nobody wants heh (which is happening more frequently it seems).

But yeah, NEVER buy from Amazon now because you're gambling resealed. I'd always go the LGS route when a set first dropped when I was flipping paper. So glad I got out again over a year ago.
Pretty much every time I go shopping (Walmart/Target) and check out MTG stuff there are 1-2 empty, ripped bundles or boxes, often Pokemon. I can tell that It's pretty much a daily occurrence at EVERY store.

Another thing that's crazy to me is the sellthrough rate. Walmart has poor merchandising, and the commander decks sit around forever. But Target sells through pretty much any and every Pokemon + MTG product that they put on shelves. Adults can't get enough of this stuff. It ALL goes. Around 2 or 3 merchandise resets per week and they move it all.

Amazon is safe for brand new releases and pre-orders. Things get risky (from re-sealed returns) once the product has been out for a week. Yeah, buying anything after that seems to be like massive risk of like ~10% resealed scam, and it occurs in pallets/groups.

The worst part about everything is how Wizards is putting LGSes out of business. It is crazy how wholesale cost for set and draft boxes is like $90 now. Stores can't compete with online loss leaders and TCG sellers. Thankfully most of locals in my area are perfectly happy to buy boxes at inflated LGS prices, like $135-$150. Which is crazy to me and you as CAGs. But without those customers the stores would have to shutter their doors. Wizards needs to get their shit together. They don't respect the stores that train players, facilitate all gameplay, and 100% maintain their brand sales. Without LGSes they are diddly squat in revenues. The suits don't understand that LGSes are their lifeblood. As soon as everything goes to online-only, with no playgroups, then your entire brand is dead in the water. Nobody else gets to be Pokemon where adults perpetually buy packs to crack.

Hmm. I purchased the $17.99 digital Rune Factory 5 (Switch) online using a gift card -- they cancelled the order within 30 minutes, with the "problem with payment method / possibly out of stock" email.

The item is still available on their website. I thought SOMEONE said it might be a price mistake, but I can't find that message anywhere...
They don't like when you try to use gift cards to buy digital games/dlc.

Finally decided to cancel my order from 12-5 since it is never shipping as it was the two inflatable dino costumes. Now to see if they actually refund my trade credit by mail or if I have to call them.

Just another person making things up on his own.
No? I have personal experience trying to buy the Fire Emblem Three Houses DLC when it was on sale last time. I was doing it as a favor for a friend. He tried it on his account and it failed, then I tried all of his gift cards on my account and it also failed even though all of the cards had balance on them. After that I bought it on my own account with PayPal and had zero issues. Their system flags gift cards for such purchases. Not saying it always happens but in my case it refused multiple gift cards for a DLC purchase

The item is still available on their website. I thought SOMEONE said it might be a price mistake, but I can't find that message anywhere...
I bought it a couple hours ago using a debit card to gift it to a friend, and while mine wasn’t cancelled, I was already charged and still haven’t gotten it yet… Even though eshop cards and all that, I get within 5 minutes. So maybe there really is a stock issue? Could anyone else who bought it chime in and say if it took them awhile to get theirs too?

I bought it a couple hours ago using a debit card to gift it to a friend, and while mine wasn’t cancelled, I was already charged and still haven’t gotten it yet… Even though eshop cards and all that, I get within 5 minutes. So maybe there really is a stock issue? Could anyone else who bought it chime in and say if it took them awhile to get theirs too?
I purchased one shortly after it was posted in the GS 2022 thread and received the code immediately.

I purchased one shortly after it was posted in the GS 2022 thread and received the code immediately.
Well shoot, makes me worry my order might get cancelled then. Just checked again to make sure and it wasn’t yet, it just says “in progress” for order status

Well shoot, makes me worry my order might get cancelled then. Just checked again to make sure and it wasn’t yet, it just says “in progress” for order status
Mine was cancelled within an hour, though...

I have enough trade credit that I don't mind buying as I'd get at least 50% off, but I'm hesitant to spend "real money" on it.

Is it normal for GS to ID for returns..? I went to a GS that I don't normally go to with my big ass Callisto Protocol box and the employee asked me for my ID to a do a return. Once I gave it to her, the rest of the return seemed pretty normal affair. 

I can't see I've been a regular at GS lately... I visited once during summer 2022, once during Dec 2022 (for a return) and this most recent time. 

Is it normal for GS to ID for returns..? I went to a GS that I don't normally go to with my big ass Callisto Protocol box and the employee asked me for my ID to a do a return. Once I gave it to her, the rest of the return seemed pretty normal affair.

I can't see I've been a regular at GS lately... I visited once during summer 2022, once during Dec 2022 (for a return) and this most recent time.
i think maybe because ppl been resealing stuff? taking items or game out of the box and return them.

might just be where ya live. As long as I’ve had the receipt, I haven’t had issues returning anything without ID.

i think maybe because ppl been resealing stuff? taking items or game out of the box and return them.
Ugh, not this shit again... I remember when this was a thing for a few yrs during the PS2/GC/XB era. Seriously, fuck some people.

might just be where ya live. As long as I’ve had the receipt, I haven’t had issues returning anything without ID.
Like I said, I don't recall being ID'd for a return before (trades yes) unless it's a brand new law in 2023 I guess, since it's my first return of 2023.

Ugh, not this shit again... I remember when this was a thing for a few yrs during the PS2/GC/XB era. Seriously, fuck some people.

Like I said, I don't recall being ID'd for a return before (trades yes) unless it's a brand new law in 2023 I guess, since it's my first return of 2023.
They need to populate the information on their screen. If they used your phone or account #, they could have done the same.

It's probably force of habit because of holiday returns where there was no account tied to the purchase.

bread's done
Back