The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Dollar General has GameStop, PlayStation Network, and Nintendo eShop gift cards on sale for 10% off through Saturday, 1/14/22.  In-store only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, not this shit again... I remember when this was a thing for a few yrs during the PS2/GC/XB era. Seriously, fuck some people.

Like I said, I don't recall being ID'd for a return before (trades yes) unless it's a brand new law in 2023 I guess, since it's my first return of 2023.
Laws change at the start of the year tho, and maybe there was one that makes it necessary now. I would've asked them if that's standard for all returns now, if you didn't already, and then called and checked with a different store in the same county.

Funny enough I asked a friend who for some reason still works at GS, and their current policy is that if 1 item is missing on an order, the whole order is cancelled, and GS cites the reason as "payment issues".

So my post earlier with all those cancels is because at least 1 of the 8 games on each of those orders was out of stock at the store who received the order, thus the whole thing gets cancelled.

What an absolute moronic policy. So on brand for Gamestop.

So the ascent: cyber edition was on sale through best buy. What's the chance of GameStop/other retailers doing the same? I missed that one and still was hoping to get it for less the 50.

They need to populate the information on their screen. If they used your phone or account #, they could have done the same.

It's probably force of habit because of holiday returns where there was no account tied to the purchase.
You know, that's the odd thing and why I originally asked if this was normal. Before going to the store, I actually called them to ask if Callisto CE was still returnable and they said yes over the phone. When I walked up, the girl there asked me "you're the one who called?" and I go yup. She then says, "ok, no problem, just need your ID". I was kind of befuddled but said ok and while I was getting my ID out, she asked for my phone number and was able to pull up my GS account info and verified my name with me... before I even handed her the ID. The return was fine and all so I'm wondering if maybe it was just due to the amount of the return, if not due to some new law.

Oh well... whatever I guess.

Anyone know if the 4/40, 4/20 is still going on tomorrow???
Still going on.. looks like it will be a monthly promotion, so probably last for another week or two. Slim pickings until they run another trade promo is my guess.

Torna is $39.99 in store, it will not work in store for the 4 for $40.
That is weird, I was able to get a price match to their own website in-store, so maybe there exists a skilled GS employee that could make it work with the 4/$40, but usually I try and bring up 6-7 games to the register to actually buy 4 because half the time the stock doesn't match the shelves and after the holidays there is only one employee with a store full of customers :oldman:

I0aNBY5.png

Still going on.. looks like it will be a monthly promotion, so probably last for another week or two. Slim pickings until they run another trade promo is my guess.

That is weird, I was able to get a price match to their own website in-store, so maybe there exists a skilled GS employee that could make it work with the 4/$40, but usually I try and bring up 6-7 games to the register to actually buy 4 because half the time the stock doesn't match the shelves and after the holidays there is only one employee with a store full of customers :oldman:

I0aNBY5.png
From my past experience a price adjustment with something above the threshold for one of these promos i.e. above $10 or $20 down will not automatically trigger the deal. I have always been denied the "double adjustment". Your receipt looks like it did not drop the Torna price to $10. I also got a price match on Torna recently, but did not try to get it with 3 other under $20 so it very well could be working. I would be cool to know if it does work, but it has not worked for me in the past. Nice haul by the way...

No? I have personal experience trying to buy the Fire Emblem Three Houses DLC when it was on sale last time. I was doing it as a favor for a friend. He tried it on his account and it failed, then I tried all of his gift cards on my account and it also failed even though all of the cards had balance on them. After that I bought it on my own account with PayPal and had zero issues. Their system flags gift cards for such purchases. Not saying it always happens but in my case it refused multiple gift cards for a DLC purchase
I’ve never had an issue using trade credit / gift cards for digital games and/or digital currency, so I don’t believe it’s a structural issue with their POS.

One factor behind cancellations on digital games is the billing address.  If the billing address used is different than the one previously/commonly used for physical orders, or one that conflicts with the IP address, then the order gets flagged and often cancelled. 

Picked up my monthly $5 eshop credit in store, but the guy working (who has denied them to me before) warned me he heard "whispers" corporate was planning to do away with it again

Is there any downside to letting my Pro lapse for a few days/weeks until I go in again? Will I lose my points or anything?

how does trade in works for miles morales ultimate edition since i already claim the digital copy of spiderman?

One factor behind cancellations on digital games is the billing address. If the billing address used is different than the one previously/commonly used for physical orders, or one that conflicts with the IP address, then the order gets flagged and often cancelled.
Never did a physical order with the account -- that could be it.

Points expire if there is no activity (purchase or trade) on the account for 12 months for PROs and 3 months for Players. They don't just go away if you don't renew.

Points expire if there is no activity (purchase or trade) on the account for 12 months for PROs and 3 months for Players. They don't just go away if you don't renew.
Now I'm curious -- if someone purchased Pro, did NO purchases/trades for a year, then RENEWED Pro just before it expired... logically, that renewal would qualify as activity.

I only ask that as it seems weird to specify that there needs to be activity on a Pro account to avoid points being erased...

This is incorrect. They do expire now sometime within 90 days I believe since Player accounts no longer accumulate points.

might just be where ya live. As long as I’ve had the receipt, I haven’t had issues returning anything without ID.
Ugh, not this shit again... I remember when this was a thing for a few yrs during the PS2/GC/XB era. Seriously, fuck some people.

Like I said, I don't recall being ID'd for a return before (trades yes) unless it's a brand new law in 2023 I guess, since it's my first return of 2023.
If you don't have a Powerup account, the GameStop system requires name, address, and maybe phone number? to process a return so I'm betting some workers are just asking for an ID instead of having to ask for each thing separately.

This is incorrect. They do expire now sometime within 90 days I believe since Player accounts no longer accumulate points.
Do my points expire?

For Pro Members, PowerUp Rewards points are valid for one year from date of posting to the Member's Account provided the Member remains active in the Program. "Active" is defined as making at least one purchase or trade in every 12-month period. If at least one qualifying purchase or trade is made every 12 months, the expiration date of the accumulated points is extended for 12 months from the date of the qualifying purchase. If a qualifying purchase or trade is not made within 12 months, all accumulated points shall be forfeited, and the Account is subject to closure at GameStop's discretion.

Right from the FAQ of the PowerUp Rewards page. Says same thing for Players except 3 months instead of 12 months. But, if you check "how do I earn points?," Only mentions Pros.

Picked up my $5 eShop code on Saturday, and the clerk told me Microsoft & Nintendo were no longer going to offer $5 codes to Gamestop; he didn't know how soon that would go into effect. So it sounds like some change is definitely on the horizon.

I really wish that GameStop would let you purchase steelbooks separately. I love steelbooks,(it's the main thing I collect anymore) but I really don't like having to pre-order to get them. I'd be more than glad to pay 10$ like Bestbuy offers sometimes. Anyways, does anyone know if One Piece is G2L? Does anyone ever buy them and return through G2L and keep the steelbook? I know that sounds kind of shady but yeah lol

Hitman, I haven't done it but ive pre-ordered and then been told they didn't have a steelbook for me so....shouldn't be an issue

Is your account setup for auto renew? I know from the GS Reddit it's been said accounts setup for auto renew can't renew with points.
No, my pro account had actually expired back in December and everytime I try to purchase the renew, it gives me an error after the 2FA code thing.

I tried to visit my local store earlier this week at 7pm or so and was greeted with their new store hours:

Sunday - Thursday: 12pm - 5pm

Friday - Saturday: 12pm - 6pm

I remember seeing something on the GS reddit about hour changes, but I'm really not a fan of this considering I finish work at 5pm and my "home" store is 15-20 minutes out in a separate direction from my house.

I tried to visit my local store earlier this week at 7pm or so and was greeted with their new store hours:

I remember seeing something on the GS reddit about hour changes, but I'm really not a fan of this considering I finish work at 5pm and my "home" store is 15-20 minutes out in a separate direction from my house.
With hours like that it makes it seem like that location may be on the chopping block soon.

And might they be closed any random 30 minute block from 2-4 PM for lunch? HAHA

I thought I had it bad, but those are the worst stores hours I have ever seen in my life.

I was trying to redeem it online before heading out to the store. Can I just go to the store and tell them to use my 15k points for the membership?
Yea they will be more than happy to renew you with your points. They redeem and print out the code to scan at the register.

It is the only way they have access to your points. They cannot do it for other coupons.

There are going to be a boat load of store closures in the next 45 days or so, might as well just prepare yourself for it.

bread's done
Back