The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Saw a sign last night that my local store is closing on 1/23. Sucks because that's only a couple of mins away and directly on the way to work, but I guess there are technically 7 stores within ~30 miles.

The worker told me that preorders were automatically getting transferred to another specific store I frequent, so hopefully he's right about it being automatic.

Reminder - today (Saturday, 12/14) is the last day for 10% off PlayStation Network, GameStop, and Nintendo eShop gift cards at Dollar General. In-store only.

I bought another $60 in GameStop cards this morning for $54 that I plan to use to buy PSN, Nintendo, and Xbox cards so that I can get the Power Up Rewards points from the purchase.
Will Dollar General refuse to sell a card over a certain amount if not paid in cash? I had to go to 2 different locations in STL to get one that the register took the 10% off and both times I asked for $110 on the GS gift card they asked if I was paying in cash.

Pretty much every time I go shopping (Walmart/Target) and check out MTG stuff there are 1-2 empty, ripped bundles or boxes, often Pokemon. I can tell that It's pretty much a daily occurrence at EVERY store.

Another thing that's crazy to me is the sellthrough rate. Walmart has poor merchandising, and the commander decks sit around forever. But Target sells through pretty much any and every Pokemon + MTG product that they put on shelves. Adults can't get enough of this stuff. It ALL goes. Around 2 or 3 merchandise resets per week and they move it all.

Amazon is safe for brand new releases and pre-orders. Things get risky (from re-sealed returns) once the product has been out for a week. Yeah, buying anything after that seems to be like massive risk of like ~10% resealed scam, and it occurs in pallets/groups.

The worst part about everything is how Wizards is putting LGSes out of business. It is crazy how wholesale cost for set and draft boxes is like $90 now. Stores can't compete with online loss leaders and TCG sellers. Thankfully most of locals in my area are perfectly happy to buy boxes at inflated LGS prices, like $135-$150. Which is crazy to me and you as CAGs. But without those customers the stores would have to shutter their doors. Wizards needs to get their shit together. They don't respect the stores that train players, facilitate all gameplay, and 100% maintain their brand sales. Without LGSes they are diddly squat in revenues. The suits don't understand that LGSes are their lifeblood. As soon as everything goes to online-only, with no playgroups, then your entire brand is dead in the water. Nobody else gets to be Pokemon where adults perpetually buy packs to crack.
Checked it today: tons of commander product going back to over a year ago and exactly 3 packs of jump-start for BRO (which is literally just premade packs of BRO cards; no kitty-kat waifu's or original cards). Last time they had fresh stock of Pokemon but it was all gone, so MtG just isn't getting any restocks is what's happening. I can only hope between MtG30 being such a MASSIVE failure and all retailers scaling back, they're putting the hurt on WotC. They need a day of reckoning because it's wild how stupid people were two years ago investing in sealed and graded, only for it all to blow up in their faces now.

Just witnessed something scummy at a GameStop I went to. An employee was harassing a 12 year old kid to open up a pro membership to save $5. I get you need to make quotas, but the moment the kid said he was 12 he should have quit asking. Instead he just pestering him. Irritating to witness

I am newbie at gamestop and my experience with clearance games is worst than ever. I ordered two shipments included some clearance new games

First order: A new Beyond A Steel Sky steelbox edition but it came without the original slip cover, no seal of course. they just sticked a new stamp on used steelbook then call it new? i bring it to local shop to return but they said thast option is not applicable for clearance item,

2nd order just came today: 3 new Watch Dogs Legend, Kingdom of Amalur, Subnautica  all without seal, one even has broken case.

I know they are cheap clearance but i have no bad experiences over few hundred items  bought from ebay. How could the big shop like gamestop run with service like this, i just want to return them back and refund but they dont even let me.

P/s: it is not unacceptable but i alr owned used Watch Dogs Legend & Kingdom of Amalur, just saw a new one cheap so i think i will replace mine with seal ones for collection then give away used ones to my cousin. Now i stick with two used copies, feel very bad.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I saw a little kid annoying an employee not the other way around, by wasting his time since the kid didn’t really know how to shop at GameStop lol. Next time bring ur parents pls damn lol

Just witnessed something scummy at a GameStop I went to. An employee was harassing a 12 year old kid to open up a pro membership to save $5. I get you need to make quotas, but the moment the kid said he was 12 he should have quit asking. Instead he just pestering him. Irritating to witness
oh em gee, where were his parents?!

oh em gee, where were his parents?!
No idea, but the kid had enough cash for whatever he was buying. Looked he was just trying to get his stuff and leave. The employee wasn't having it until he shoved the want to get a pro thing down his throat. Kid just grabbed what he bought and walked off after the 8th question from the guy

Will Dollar General refuse to sell a card over a certain amount if not paid in cash? I had to go to 2 different locations in STL to get one that the register took the 10% off and both times I asked for $110 on the GS gift card they asked if I was paying in cash.
Sorry, I saw your quote post a day late. The Dollar General store near me has a sign up that says that they prefer credit or debit cards, so I have no clue what the official DG policy is. But I'm sure that they're trying to cut down on fraud either way. :whistle2:k

ive always paid w/ credit cards at dollar general for gs cards

0 problems just they always made comments about it

just curious but when does gamestop usually ship pre orders? The day of release or one day before release?
Generally, yes. They start shipping the evening before most times, sometimes day of. It is NOT release day delivery, it is "within a few days of release." Friday releases are almost always the following week

Does anyone know the trade in value for NFS Unbound? It isn’t listed on the website for some reason
It's not listed on the site because there isn't a preowned listing yet. You'll have to call a store and ask for the TIV or wait for someone else to do so and report back.

It's been a long time, but I just purchased some games from GS and took advantage of the 4 for 40 deal on used games. (I usually use my $5 monthly coupon on something my son picks out for himself) I got four Switch games all in original boxes: South Part Fractured But Whole, My Hero One's Justice 2, Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch, and Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. For $9 each using the $5 coupon, I added those to my backlog.

Man, I've been going gangbusters with this 4x under $20 for $40 sale... put in my 5th order, also bought some "new" games. Well, I mean they're supposed to be new but I know they won't be. 

A question- can I use a in store cert to preorder a game? 

Part of my order says it was "delivered" in corpus Cristi, TX. I live in FL. Anyone seen anything like this before?
I haven’t gotten points since November and I’ve made about 6-7 orders, I can’t be bothered with calling gamestop the wait is horrendous.

Part of my order says it was "delivered" in corpus Cristi, TX. I live in FL. Anyone seen anything like this before?
i have had packages where if you look it up one same fedex tracking number was used for multiple packages going to multiple people.

so look it up on fedex and it might be the case.

this happened with gamestop specifically, twice.

i have had packages where if you look it up one same fedex tracking number was used for multiple packages going to multiple people.

so look it up on fedex and it might be the case.

this happened with gamestop specifically, twice.
I have also had this experience. My packages eventually arrived, although I wasn't able to track them

I have a PS4 phat with a controller that no longer hold a charge.

Anyone know if GS will accept it or they will deduct the amount for the dead battery of the controller?

Anyone know if GS will accept it or they will deduct the amount for the dead battery of the controller?
Probably will deduct the cost of the controller if they accept it. Ps4 pro was $55 i think, maybe less for the original PS4 since value is less, but probably will kill most of the trade value.

If it's below or at firmware 9.00, you might be able to get more $ online selling online.

At GameStop, I've had an associate test the controller plugged into the console and unplug towards the end to pack it. If it holds battery for a few minutes, you would be good.

I saw people talking about a 30% trade in bonus for pros towards fire emblem… Is this 30% on top of the shown pro value, or the shown base value? Been awhile since I traded anything towards a preorder with a bonus so don’t remember how it works, but seeing that 3D All Stars is at a pretty decent value right now has me tempted, plus got a couple other games I wouldn’t mind trading either

I saw people talking about a 30% trade in bonus for pros towards fire emblem… Is this 30% on top of the shown pro value, or the shown base value? Been awhile since I traded anything towards a preorder with a bonus so don’t remember how it works, but seeing that 3D All Stars is at a pretty decent value right now has me tempted, plus got a couple other games I wouldn’t mind trading either
The ten percent bonus for a pro account is added to the base 20% bonus for the preorder. You may be able to get more sell Mario 3d right now since the demand for the game has increased

Rumblings on the Gamestop Reddit is that there were layoffs today in corporate - support staff for stores & DMs.  Also that the Kentucky Distribution center will be closing in March (lease is up & they aren’t extending).  

Store closures are to come.  

Rumblings on the Gamestop Reddit is that there were layoffs today in corporate - support staff for stores & DMs. Also that the Kentucky Distribution center will be closing in March (lease is up & they aren’t extending).

Store closures are to come.
I seen this coming, a lot of the stores in my area don’t have a lot of games on the shelf anymore. Some of the section have a couple games on the shelf it’s the most bare I’ve ever seen gamestop.

Layoffs happening everywhere. It’s brutal out there.
Yeah, reports are that even Microsoft is planning to cut 5% or 11,000 of their workforce this week. I know some people working there and hoping they will not be let go, but I heard they should be fine if they do get let go since their severance package is very generous. However, it could be stressful for the workers that are working there on Visa because they have a short amount of time to find another job before they are essentially kicked out of the country.

My workplace is even freezing some of our benefits which they never did even during covid when we were hit really hard by the shutdown of the economy.

Except in food service maybe? All the restaurants around here have "hiring now" signs...
Working in the restaurant industries does suck though. People are just assholes when they are hungry, all human decency just goes out the door.

Has anyone received a disc game in just a sleeve before? Usually they give you a generic case, but this is the first order they gave me 4 or 5 games in just a paper sleeve.

Has anyone received a disc game in just a sleeve before? Usually they give you a generic case, but this is the first order they gave me 4 or 5 games in just a paper sleeve.
Not in a long time honestly. I did recently receive a fairly new/popular NS game in a sleeve (Mario Party Superstars).

Screenshot_2018-09-12-The-Ballad-of-Buster-Scruggs-Official-Trailer-HD-Netflix-YouTube2.jpg

bread's done
Back