The best version of Justice League New Frontiers this week?

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!
Anyone know anything about the Wal-Mart exclusive for Justice League New Frontiers coming out this week? I know BB has a free figure, CC has a Green Lantern patch, and Target has some "digital download" (not sure what that means). I don't get a Wal-Mart ad, and can't find the ad on their homepage, but the product description for this doesn't give any details about the exclusive. If it's lame, then I'll get the BB one.

It's a direct-to-disc movie based on the DC: The New Frontier limited series. It's a pretty nice bridge between the major Golden Age heroes, like Superman and Batman, and Silver Age heroes, like Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, and Martian Manhunter, with the Cold War serving as the backdrop. "New Frontier" obviously refers to the JFK presidency.

Hmm, the figure from BB doesn't look that great. I think I'll try to find a better Hal Jordan figure and stick with the $20 Blu-ray from Amazon.

As far as your question goes, TC, I'd probably go with the BB figure, if I were in your position (assuming here that you don't have a hi-def player).

Does the BluRay disc have all the extras on the 2 Disc Special Edition DVD?
Thanks for the info.

[quote name='WKT']Does the BluRay disc have all the extras on the 2 Disc Special Edition DVD?
Thanks for the info.[/quote]

I assume so. It is listed as the "Special Edition" and also has the same cover art, so I don't think it will like be the one-disc version.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Oh, IDK.
I just watched JL on CN a few times.
Is it anything like that?[/quote]
From all the reviews it sounds alot more bleak and darker compared to Justice League, but it's also one of the best direct comic to animation transitions yet. So I think it's worth the purchase....

[quote name='bardockkun']From all the reviews it sounds alot more bleak and darker compared to Justice League, but it's also one of the best direct comic to animation transitions yet. So I think it's worth the purchase....[/quote]

Indeed. I have high hopes for this one, despite the disappointment that Superman/Doomsday ended up being.

This was pretty good. One thing you'll notice is they're actually allowed to curse.:shock:

The story is basically about the retirement of the justice society and how the justice league gets formed. It starts out with superman, batman and wonder woman on their own after the society disbands. Then shows all the others (GL, flash, green arrow etc..) in their solo careers. By the end of the movie they decide to form the justice league with all the new heroes.

Thats the cliff's notes version at least. Theres a scene near the beginning involving superman and wonder woman that was kinda funny.

Kingdom Come would make a pretty good choice for a direct-to-disc movie, I think. I haven't read DC: The New Frontier, yet, but I like many of the stories that take place outside the current timeline, so I would probably enjoy it, and by the looks of the trailer and the info I have so far, the movie adaption should be good.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Is the price the same every where?[/quote]
According to all the Speedy ads it seems everyplace is $20 for the 2 disc and I think 1 is 12.99-14.99. Though each store seems to have a different extra with it with purchase, best one seems to be Best Buy with Green Lantern 6-inch figure.

Also i'd just kill if DC were to release Dark Knight Returns as direct to DVD movie. Especially if nothing is edited and just pure Batman ass-whoopery.

The two disc version isn't necessarily better. All the second disc includes is JLU episodes, so if you already own the JLU sets you're just double dipping.

[quote name='sdp']The two disc version isn't necessarily better. All the second disc includes is JLU episodes, so if you already own the JLU sets you're just double dipping.[/quote]

According to the Warner press release, the 2nd disc features two short documentaries, as well the JLU episodes.

Ugh, the dreaded retailer exclusive. Can't WAIT to see that trend die out. I waste time mulling over which store is the best place to buy something from, and then more often than not I just end up not buying it.

I would say Target is the best deal because the digital download (which is a digital copy of the whole movie) could be played on a Zune, PSP, or IPod (I think) so it's the best value.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Hmm, the figure from BB doesn't look that great. I think I'll try to find a better Hal Jordan figure and stick with the $20 Blu-ray from Amazon.

As far as your question goes, TC, I'd probably go with the BB figure, if I were in your position (assuming here that you don't have a hi-def player).[/quote]

0224BA02A001P1_img_1695714485.jpg

I agree...looks pretty weak.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']

I agree...looks pretty weak.[/quote]

Thats a "Who's who" figure exclusive to the movie. Most of these figures are crap.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Hmm, the figure from BB doesn't look that great. I think I'll try to find a better Hal Jordan figure and stick with the $20 Blu-ray from Amazon.

As far as your question goes, TC, I'd probably go with the BB figure, if I were in your position (assuming here that you don't have a hi-def player).[/quote]

There's a much better Hal coming out in a later DC Universe Classics wave. I think this place has information on it.

I saw the movie. It's a lot more adult than even Justice League Unlimited, but pretty good. Some of the art details were bothersome, though.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']

I agree...looks pretty weak.[/QUOTE]

Why does the Green Lantern look like he has Down's Syndrome?

[quote name='BustaUppa']Ugh, the dreaded retailer exclusive. Can't WAIT to see that trend die out. I waste time mulling over which store is the best place to buy something from, and then more often than not I just end up not buying it.[/quote]

I love retailer exclusives. I hope the trend continues onto the hd format instead of just standard dvd bonuses. The bag that came with resident evil extinction excluisively from best buy went for $40+ on ebay (i think). basically paid for the dvd. i keep a star wars coin (an exclusive from target) from a while back in my safe. don't ask why. lol :dunce:. but then again, there are also crap exclusives.

[quote name='chasemurata']Some of the art details were bothersome, though.[/quote]

Similar to Superman's cheekbones in Superman: Doomsday?

don't forget that david boreanaz is the voice of hal jordan...he played angel in the show angel. My opinion of the movie is that it is much more adult than I expected. In the first five minutes there is suicide and jordan shoots a guy point blank in the head. Much better than superman/doomsday which I thought was crap.

Man, I just can't wait to get it Tuesday...

I really do have high hopes for this one, basically on par with Justice League Unlimited in animated quality.

Ive seen it already when it was posted on one of the sharing sites.

It is wonderful for what it is, a fairly faithful version of the DC New Frontier series. A few scenes cut from the book for time reasons and a few heroes never awknowleged by name (poor Adam Strange, at least you had 52).

The animation itself is beautiful. I'll gladly get one of the DVDs when it comes out.

Yeah it is much more adult than JLU or any other DC movie/series. Cursing, actual blood shed, people dieing, but at the same time has that sort of cheery up-beatness of those old comics.

I have a feeling watching this is going to make me more upset Marvel can't do a good animated...well, anything (especially now that Ultimates has been butchered).

Ultimate Avengers was....ok. Actually i thought they were all sort of...ok. I think both sides have made stinkers, that superman vs brainiac or whatever was awful.

[quote name='JolietJake']Ultimate Avengers was....ok. Actually i thought they were all sort of...ok. I think both sides have made stinkers, that superman vs brainiac or whatever was awful.[/quote]
Yeah, but when comparing Ultimate Avengers to the actual Ultimates comic (especially after Marvel hyped it as the new standard for comic book to animated translations) it was just pure crap, especially with Hulk not cannibalizing Freddie Prinze Jr. Like in the comic. Though DC has actually done good or I'm more forgiving of them since Bruce Timm and Paul Dini stuff. Plus just small hope Batman Beyond may one day come back in some form or another.

saw this a month or so ago, my brother had a copy he got through means that i usually get onto him about, its damn good, changed a few things from the trade but still good, cant wait to get it, i want the hal figure from bb

There's a much better Hal coming out in a later DC Universe Classics wave. I think this place has information on it.

Indeed. The DC Universe Hal Jordan looks pretty good. I have the complete first series, and they are quite good. The only thing I don't like about that collection is the lack of stands.

[quote name='bardockkun']Yeah, but when comparing Ultimate Avengers to the actual Ultimates comic (especially after Marvel hyped it as the new standard for comic book to animated translations) it was just pure crap, especially with Hulk not cannibalizing Freddie Prinze Jr. Like in the comic.[/QUOTE]
Personally, I disagree. I thought the Ultimate Avengers animated movie was okay (not good mind you, just okay), but I hated the Ultimates comic. To me, it's some of the most overhyped comics this side of Grant Morrison's pretentious crap. I cringe every time I see the so-called Captain America in Ultimates. The Cap I know isn't a brutal S.O.B.

[quote name='Liontamer']Personally, I disagree. I thought the Ultimate Avengers animated movie was okay (not good mind you, just okay), but I hated the Ultimates comic. To me, it's some of the most overhyped comics this side of Grant Morrison's pretentious crap. I cringe every time I see the so-called Captain America in Ultimates. The Cap I know isn't a brutal S.O.B.[/quote]
I liked the Ultimates Cap simply because he fought in World War II (and it shows) and when in a war I have to believe he killed a few nazis and I could never imagine normal 616 Universe Cap killing anyone. Not trying to change your mind or anything, just my own personal reasoning.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Similar to Superman's cheekbones in Superman: Doomsday?[/quote]

Ha! Yes, precisely. It's what I was actually referencing. :cool:

At best buy you have to buy the Special Edition to get the figure. But i don't wanna spend a dollar and go farther to get the GL patch so i think i'll still buy from them.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I also just have the Blu ray version coming from amazon for $20.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, ordered one for myself, saved me a few bucks.

I also grabbed the blu-ray from Amazon. Word on the street is that Kingdom Come may be in the pipeline for a direct to DVD movie after The Batman movie, which I think is next.

As far as Marvel goes, I thought Doctor Strange was actually well done. I don;t really like the character, but the movie was rather engrossing. Both Ultimate Avengers movies were ok and Iron Man was a bit of a bore. On a side note, the Amazing Screw-On Head is, well amazing. Check it out. It's only 1/2 hour or so, but you'll want to watch it more than once.

I also grabbed the blu-ray from Amazon. Word on the street is that Kingdom Come may be in the pipeline for a direct to DVD movie after The Batman movie, which I think is next.

If this ends up being true, I will soil myself...well...not really...but still...I will be excited...

bread's done
Back