The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

I just read this entire thread.. and I think I may try this tomorrow. Let you guys know how it went. I never knew Blockbuster did trade ins.. that blows my mind. so it looks like we need an acct to trade? as in a rental acct? I hope mine doesn't have late fees =(

as for printing out covers, is it only the front or does it need to be complete front/side/back in full color w/ upc? sorry I'm a noob. I'll be calling my BB to see if they require covers and gotta find some DVD cases too haha

[quote name='aznguyen316']I just read this entire thread.. and I think I may try this tomorrow. Let you guys know how it went. I never knew Blockbuster did trade ins.. that blows my mind. so it looks like we need an acct to trade? as in a rental acct? I hope mine doesn't have late fees =(

as for printing out covers, is it only the front or does it need to be complete front/side/back in full color w/ upc? sorry I'm a noob. I'll be calling my BB to see if they require covers and gotta find some DVD cases too haha[/quote]

Well congrats for taking the leap into flipping, right now with the current items u can get anything for half price or less if your smart about it. Also yes if they require the cover, print the whole thing...shouldnt cost more then 50 cents to do a color copy at Staples (which is what I do). Speaking of which I gotta remember to go get some more Forza2/MUA covers to go along with the GTA covers :).

[quote name='aznguyen316']I just read this entire thread.. and I think I may try this tomorrow. Let you guys know how it went. I never knew Blockbuster did trade ins.. that blows my mind. so it looks like we need an acct to trade? as in a rental acct? I hope mine doesn't have late fees =(

as for printing out covers, is it only the front or does it need to be complete front/side/back in full color w/ upc? sorry I'm a noob. I'll be calling my BB to see if they require covers and gotta find some DVD cases too haha[/quote]

start easy. buy some Hour of Victory X360 from Gamestop using the 25% off coupon + edge if you have it. then trade those in. make sure to inspect the discs and make sure there are no 'deep scratches'. Those are the ones that you can clearly see.

a rental account will do, you will need to sign a trading agreement (once per store).

good luck!

thanks guys! are you just googling the cover art or what? I did a quickie for forza and just came up with the fronts. Here's to hoping my GS has HoV, I know they have plenty of Forza/MUA's though!

i don't have the balls to try marvel/forza...

I'm going to stick in kunai-apprentice status w/ HOV, The Darkness, and Two Worlds flips.

[quote name='aznguyen316']thanks guys! are you just googling the cover art or what? I did a quickie for forza and just came up with the fronts. Here's to hoping my GS has HoV, I know they have plenty of Forza/MUA's though![/quote]

pm'd the link to you.

FYI - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (XB) sells for $20 used at GameStop. Even with this coupon, you're shelling out ~$15 and wasting a lot of time printing covers. Can't say that I think it's worth it.

Much better off tracking down The Darkness at TRU.

"General Info
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers
"

Quick question regarding this..

Do most BB employees offer store credit as opposed to value cards??

Also regarding the value cards.. these are good at any Blockbuster location... are they also valid at gamerush locations?
Lastly, the value cards don't have maintenaince fees/hidden charges do they? I've been killed by fees on various giftcards i've held in the past(Ahem... I'm looking at you Visa gift card)

[quote name='nlyonssmith']start easy. buy some Hour of Victory X360 from Gamestop using the 25% off coupon + edge if you have it. then trade those in. make sure to inspect the discs and make sure there are no 'deep scratches'. Those are the ones that you can clearly see.

a rental account will do, you will need to sign a trading agreement (once per store).

good luck![/QUOTE]

Weird I did my first flip Saturday and wasn't required to sign a form

Also value card and gift cards are the same thing right?

wow djkunai, like I said I didn't share the info like you did on GTA SA: is because everything you just said is false. You will not get 30$ because they will not accept any hot coffee versions. Funny part is I talk to the guy that works at my BB and he said the only ones they can take in is the platinum hits version and thats 6 bucks. The one time I got 30$ was because I got a guy that just started there and didn't know that they don't take it. So if you want to waste peoples time and money(which is the reason I didn't share the game info) Prepared to be flamed.

Hooray, four used copies of a certain game at a nearby GameStop. Tomorrow will be Victorious.

Maybe I'll keep it small (as Slurms Mackenzie would have wanted... bonus points if you get the reference) and do two sets of Hour of Victory + The Darkness trade-ins on separate days. I only have a single Blockbuster nearby and it's non-GR. The one I worked at in 2005 that still has the two copies of PSO Episode III I traded in once upon a time :)

[quote name='cdeener']Which games did you get from GS? That's a lot of cash to be spending in GS in the first place.[/quote]

:360: The Darkness x3
:360: Hour of Victory x2
:ps3: Motorstorm x4

Sadly there are no good clearance deals in my area. The best I can do is grab stuff from GS when there are promos.

GS was selling new copies of MUA/Forza 2 for $89.99! No used copies were available.

[quote name='BrandonJ33']Hooray, four used copies of a certain game at a nearby GameStop. Tomorrow will be Victorious.

Maybe I'll keep it small (as Slurms Mackenzie would have wanted... bonus points if you get the reference) and do two sets of Hour of Victory + The Darkness trade-ins on separate days. I only have a single Blockbuster nearby and it's non-GR. The one I worked at in 2005 that still has the two copies of PSO Episode III I traded in once upon a time :)[/quote]
Depending on the HOUR you go I hope you are more VICTORIOUS than I was, i guess the DARKNESS dimmed the MARVELous employees BIG(s) attitude.

My TRU has no copies of the darkness so i'll stick to HoV and Marvel/Forza.

Had $325 credit but got Turok and some cheap dvds. I'm actually finding Turok to be pretty fun, especially for a game that cost me $25. Still have $222 left in credit so i'll flip another 3 games today to bring that back up to about $300.

[quote name='Brian9824']My TRU has no copies of the darkness so i'll stick to HoV and Marvel/Forza.

Had $325 credit but got Turok and some cheap dvds. I'm actually finding Turok to be pretty fun, especially for a game that cost me $25. Still have $222 left in credit so i'll flip another 3 games today to bring that back up to about $300.[/quote]

by any chance do you remember how much you paid for Hov and marvel/forza? Im gonna do a run in the morning to GS and TRU and wanna make sure I have enough money to do so.

[quote name='Troblin']"General Info
"

Quick question regarding this..

Do most BB employees offer store credit as opposed to value cards??

Also regarding the value cards.. these are good at any Blockbuster location... are they also valid at gamerush locations?
Lastly, the value cards don't have maintenaince fees/hidden charges do they? I've been killed by fees on various giftcards i've held in the past(Ahem... I'm looking at you Visa gift card)[/quote]

At my store they always ask if I want the credit on my account or on a card but that's YMMV. I'm sure at many of the stores out there you probably have to request it.

They are good at any BB/GR location

There's no fees/slow drain offs that I know of.

[quote name='animemaniac14']doesn't the 25% off coupon for GS this week say you can only get 2 games and hasve the 25% off apply to them?[/quote]

2 Games per visit. SO i make a few trips

HoV was 17.99 -35% with coupon and edge card and marvel/forza was same i think, just check website for used prices

Maybe I'll keep it small (as Slurms Mackenzie would have wanted)

Haha, Grunka Lunka Secret Ingredient, You Must Not Know About The Secret Ingredient

I'm all for flipping, but printing out ANOTHER cover for GTA:SA is just illegal. I hope someone gets caught on that. What would stop people from printing out different UPC's for other games.....

[quote name='T3ntman']Maybe I'll keep it small (as Slurms Mackenzie would have wanted)

Haha, Grunka Lunka Secret Ingredient, You Must Not Know About The Secret Ingredient[/quote]

WHIMMIE WAM WAM WUZZLE!

"Asking at school is a great place to learn, you try that stuff here you might get your legs broke" Im thinking about going to GS and getting 2 HOVs, then Im going to hit up TRU and get 5 or 6 darknesses and trade those bad boys in for 32 each.

I must have miss something, what's this Darkness at TRU thing? How much are they selling it for? I think the best flip was NBA 07 you only spend $8 & you get $23 credit...

I would like to trade more Darkness and HoV in, but they won't let me. They see that I have already traded in 2 of each, and won't let me trade in any more of those.

They also won't let me trade in printed out covers. Hate that place. Other BB doesn't even have their license to allow trade ins.

No more talk of GTA:SA and printing the AO covers. That is borderline fraudulent/illegal and I would prefer to avoid it on here. Take it to SD, if you must discuss it.

So anyone know the copyright laws about making copies of game covers of games you own? Can someone else confirm its ok so i can go back to Staples & make my copies...

WOW, LAME. The two BB in my town are Franchises so they don't do any type of trade ins. Only corporate ones do and the closest one is half an hour from here. Piss. Guess I can't "flip" over to the darkside. Have fun guys! *tear*

aznguyen.... The GR that is "so far away from you" is the one on k7 and Parker, correct? That is the main one that I use as I live not 2 miles from it.

It's not that far, I drive to Lawrence every day for classes, and If I can drive that every day, yo could easily drive to GR once in a while to make a nice buck....

Looks like the GR I used to frequent back in the day has closed, according to the Blockbuster store locator. Not sure how recently since I haven't checked on it recently, probably in the last couple months.

I got excited for GRAW...then I realized that is a year old ;)

I'm debating to dump Madden 08 now or later....I still play my franchise, but I want to get the most value for my trade....

Anyone trade in PGR4 recently? Any values? I know, I should call...but my store is pretty lazy about checking.

Traded in a few games for around $178. Dont have my receipt but here's a decent guess as to what I got. keep in mind this includes NY sales tax.

Naruto 360 - $37
Orange Box 360 - $35
Lego Star Wars - $30
Forza 2 - $22 (took this out of my Marvel/Forza pack)
Super Paper Mario Wii - $27
Trauma Center Second Opinion Wii - $25

Not bad considering I wouldve gotten a little less if I sold on ebay (based on recent auctions)

i would say trade it within a month on madden because even though BB is late in updating their system it will go down fast. PGR4 should still get you atleast 30 i would think

I see talk about printing covers. What about manuals?
Will they accept games without manuals?

Can't find a god damn copy of HoV with cover and manual around here lol

Traded in today:

FOrza - 22
MUA - 15
bigs - 32

Total credit - 524.41

BOught 2 cobalt blue DS lites to sell on craigslist/ebay because I walked into target and they had fucking Wii's!!! Holy shit. Bought a wiimote and a nunchuk.

Credit left - 180.67

Have SSBM on preorder (they guarantee it on Sunday @ GR) and going to buy SMBG tonight @ another GR that has it. Very good day for me.

[quote name='runpuddrun']Traded in today:

FOrza - 22
MUA - 15
bigs - 32

Total credit - 524.41

BOught 2 cobalt blue DS lites to sell on craigslist/ebay because I walked into target and they had fucking Wii's!!! Holy shit. Bought a wiimote and a nunchuk.

Credit left - 180.67

Have SSBM on preorder (they guarantee it on Sunday @ GR) and going to buy SMBG tonight @ another GR that has it. Very good day for me.[/quote]

actually they won't guarantee you a copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl on Sunday. I know. I checked. ONLINE (Hot Rod Reference)..

but seriously, BBV/GR only receives shipments on Fridays so you won't actually receive it until 3/14. Sorry. If ya don't believe me ask them. That's what i did and that's what they told me :( im sad too

I spoke to a manager and she specifically said that this is the first time since GR has even existed that they are guaranteeing a game on release date, Sunday the 9th.

I know that they only receive shipments on Friday's, but some get shipments on Tuesdays also (like mine), but the game comes out on Sunday, just like GH3, and that was available @ GR on release day.

Dammit, I would love to get a Cobalt DS but I don't know of any Blockbusters that would deem to sell them. I need to see if my local store is doing the SSBB preorder thing. I'll find that out later, at least. If not, I'll preorder at the store that sells new stuff - I like them better anyway, it's just a bit of a drive.

As for them having SSBB on time, it is possible. It is likely Nintendo is pre-shipping these for the big Saturday midnight launch party deals that I'm sure places like GS will have. There have been a handful of titles in the past that my old GR actually had ahead of time and couldn't sell till the release day - Lego Star Wars II was one of them I remember. So it is possible are they will get them in their Friday shipment the week BEFORE release (and then not sell till Sunday).

[quote name='runpuddrun']I would sell you one of the DS lites. I only want a little more than what I paid for it + shipping.[/quote]

I seriously doubt anyone in this thread wants to use real cash over their BB credit... but nice try :lol:

Turned 2x Victory, 2x Darkness (~$61 out of pocket) into...

14.99 Earth Defense Force 2017 (complete)
14.99 Kingdom Hearts II non-GH (complete)
14.99 Pikmin 2 (sans manual)
14.99 Mario Party 6 (no mic version, sans manual)
1 Super Smash Bros. Brawl preorder - Pleasant surprise they were doing POs for this considering they had zero additional new game product aside from Rock Band Bundles and Guitar Hero III (I think III) bundles. There was a big-ass poster up behind the counter for Brawl.
~$20 value card credit remaining.

Not bad, considering I may be able to flip Pikmin 2 and MP6 on Amazon to get my $61 back. Hopefully the trade prices hold overnight (did I read they update prices on Tuesday usually?) so I can hit up another Blockbuster tomorrow with a pair of Victoriousness, The Bigs, and another Darkness.

[quote name='runpuddrun']aznguyen.... The GR that is "so far away from you" is the one on k7 and Parker, correct? That is the main one that I use as I live not 2 miles from it.

It's not that far, I drive to Lawrence every day for classes, and If I can drive that every day, yo could easily drive to GR once in a while to make a nice buck....[/quote]

hey man, not sure where you're quoting that from, but I never complained about it being far away. I just said it was like 30min away. Sure it's a quick buck but I don't go out there that often and I figure when I know I will be, then I may try it, but for now I'm passing.

Plus for shits I went into the GS here and no HoV, didn't see the Forza/MUA bundle either but saw quite a few darkness for 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back