The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='animemaniac14']so did mua/forza change or not? THE ULTIMATE QUESTION OF THE DAY![/quote]

I can check as soon as I get out of my IB class at noon EST, but I'm sure someone will have beaten me by then. Also for the people that havent checked, the list of new clearance games was posted in the toysrus thread might be some new flippers in there too.

I'm thinking of trading in the HD DVD add-on. Does anyone know the TIV? If not I'll take it to GR this weekend and see if it's worth it.

Blockbuster @ 20th and 8th, NY
(212) 243-9571

Blockbuster @ Riverside and Fulton, CA
(818) 501-8335

Both stores have given trade in values over the phone. If you need a quote, call one of these two stores, which are at opposite ends of the country. No more complaining you can't get a quote over the phone.

MUA and Forza 2 are still at $15 and $22 respectively.

Also, if anyone wants to flip their credit over the FYE at a 1:1 ratio (or very slightly higher), Blockbsuter is having their 3/$20 sale on pretty much every recent DVD. FYE gives $7.50 for most recent newer DVDS. Basically, pay $20+tax at Blockbuster, and get $22.50 at FYE. This is great if your GR has a terrible selection.

List of TIV for $7.50 @ FYE:

Bourne ultimatum
Good Luch Chuck unrated
License to Wed
Ocean's Thireen
Pirates- At World's End
Ratatouillie
Rush Hour 3
Sav IV
Sicko
The Simpsons Movie
Spider-man 3
Superbad
Transformers

All of the above are 3/$20 @ Blockbuster and flip for $7.50 @ FYE (totaling $22.50 for 3).

Im not sure that's such a great flipping ratio...i prefer using my dvds i boughtf rom the TRSI abundance sale to get up to $12 in-store credit when i originally paid $4 for them. That's a 300% profit right there :whistle2:D

Forza II

Marvel UA

I have traded in at least 6 copies using these. Their UPCs scan perfectly, unlike some that i've found on other sites. I print them using a color laser printer on glossy paper -- you really can't tell the difference.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']Seriously, I asked this question once in the old thread... and it still gets asked this much?

Just go to www.cdcovers.cc and you will find whatever cover you want there.[/quote]

This site works for me, used the Forza and MUA covers 7 times each. Never had a problem :) Very happy to see that they hold for another week.

[quote name='daminion']Forza II

Marvel UA

I have traded in at least 6 copies using these. Their UPCs scan perfectly, unlike some that i've found on other sites. I print them using a color laser printer on glossy paper -- you really can't tell the difference.[/quote]

Do you have to adjust the dimensions of the file before printout?

[quote name='djkunai']Blockbuster @ 20th and 8th, NY
(212) 243-9571

(818) 501-8335

Both stores have given trade in values over the phone. If you need a quote, call one of these two stores, which are at opposite ends of the country. No more complaining you can't get a quote over the phone.

Also, if anyone wants to flip their credit over the FYE at a 1:1 ratio (or very slightly higher), Blockbsuter is having their 3/$20 sale on pretty much every recent DVD. FYE gives $7.50 for most recent newer DVDS. Basically, pay $20+tax at Blockbuster, and get $22.50 at FYE. This is great if your GR has a terrible selection.

Bourne ultimatum
Good Luch Chuck unrated
License to Wed
Ocean's Thireen
Pirates- At World's End
Ratatouillie
Rush Hour 3
Sav IV
Sicko
The Simpsons Movie
Spider-man 3
Superbad
Transformers

All of the above are 3/$20 @ Blockbuster and flip for $7.50 @ FYE (totaling $22.50 for 3).[/quote]

Kunai, finally you're giving back to me personally. This is a good idea in spades, although my local FYE has no games, they do stock a nice healthy selection of other crap, and I have the FYE card which adds +10%. This is an easy way to transfer my credit into nice shiny itunes cards.

[quote name='Troblin']Do you have to adjust the dimensions of the file before printout?[/quote]

Depends on what you use to print them. I printed in Photoshop and it wasn't an issue.

[quote name='stoned99']Kunai, finally you're giving back to me personally.[/quote]

You always take things personally.

[quote name='Brian9824']Where are people getting the Bigs and Motorstorm from? Big's i'm guessing from gamestop[/quote]

Motorstorm is $20 at GS this week (until Thursday I think, I am not sure). I am wondering if I can trade in my bundled copy of Motorstorm, but the disk and case both say not for resale. I traded in my GHII copy though, and the employee just put a new barcode over the not for resale text, lol.

[quote name='djkunai']Blockbuster @ 20th and 8th, NY
(212) 243-9571

(818) 501-8335

Bourne ultimatum
Good Luch Chuck unrated
License to Wed
Ocean's Thireen
Pirates- At World's End
Ratatouillie
Rush Hour 3
Sav IV
Sicko
The Simpsons Movie
Spider-man 3
Superbad
Transformers

All of the above are 3/$20 @ Blockbuster and flip for $7.50 @ FYE (totaling $22.50 for 3).[/quote]

Whoa this actually pretty cool cuz aren't they doing that brown bag where you get an extra 40% more for trade or is this already included? Plus my FYE is doing the 50% off all games new/used except for PS3 & Wii...Does FYE sell game systems?

Traded in HOV for $25.00 today (nice -$7 trade price as where last week I got $32 for it) and they wouldn't take another copy of The Darkness, that would have been my third Darkness traded in 2 months, so I wonder whats going on. Maybe Blockbuster is starting to catch on?

Just a heads up on HOV new trade price!

I am surprise BB hasn't caught on. All these people trading in the same games over and over.

(Runs to GS to get some more Bigs)

I think they're doing it for more stores. I was trading in my copy of Halo 3, and the guy at the counter asked the manager if there were enough copies already (the manager said there weren't any copies left), so it may be a new company policy.

[quote name='rcaido']Whoa this actually pretty cool cuz aren't they doing that brown bag where you get an extra 40% more for trade or is this already included? Plus my FYE is doing the 50% off all games new/used except for PS3 & Wii...Does FYE sell game systems?[/QUOTE]

40%? My bag only says 20%... T_T

I will definitely try and flip some BB credit to Fye. I'd like to just buy some random crap. =)

Thank you Kunai for these TIVs.

Btw, does anyone know BBs return policy for used DVDs... Just in case FYE wont take them.

[quote name='djkunai']Dude! That's right by Alemany- I drive by there all the time. Sup new kunai location.[/quote]

Haha yeah its right down the street from Alemany, if you go in, look for the shift lead with the tats he's the one who hooked up the extra 5, didn't even need to ask.

are you guys getting extra cases for marvel/forza 2 or just trading in the covers and game?

if you are where are you getting them from

[quote name='vgmben']are you guys getting extra cases for marvel/forza 2 or just trading in the covers and game?

if you are where are you getting them from[/QUOTE]

I've used a spare case every time. I've done everything from pull a case from an old piece of software or one of my daughter's movies that she no longer watches to just asking the clerk at gamestop for extra cases. One time I bought Sneak King ($1.99 - Edge) to get an extra case..... it was worth it for the flip profit. Also, old-ass sports games can be found for like 99 cents at GS too. I've also seen people mention picking up those AOL free discs and stuff.

[quote name='vgmben']are you guys getting extra cases for marvel/forza 2 or just trading in the covers and game?

if you are where are you getting them from[/quote]

go to blockbuster on a Tuesday and ask them for some...they usually throw out all the cases that come with movies and replace them with their locking ones

(or just go dumpster diving)

[quote name='Karuto']Any report on whether Lost Odyssey will be sold at Blockbuster, or do we have to wait until Friday?[/quote]

I have a preorder for it, but that may not mean alot!!

I remember reading earlier in this thread that someone was having problems trading in the Pujolis version of The Bigs, but the Moreau version traded just fine.

Any confirmation?

[quote name='daminion']Depends on what you use to print them. I printed in Photoshop and it wasn't an issue.[/quote]

i just tried printing in ps and it either cuts a little off the sides or if you scale it to fit media, it ends up being a little to small. anything special you did for it to print right? before i resized it and had kinkos print it, but those the bar code didn't scan.

[quote name='Karuto']Any report on whether Lost Odyssey will be sold at Blockbuster, or do we have to wait until Friday?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I'd like to know too... Since this thread has devolved into being all about flipping 24/7 I don't want this question to be lost.

[quote name='io']Good question. I'd like to know too... Since this thread has devolved into being all about flipping 24/7 I don't want this question to be lost.[/QUOTE]

Kunai spreads like the T-virus.

I don't have a GR around but there's a BB which sells used games. Would I be able to start the flipping craze at that location?

Kinda lazy to look if this question has been asked, haha.

[quote name='Troblin']I remember reading earlier in this thread that someone was having problems trading in the Pujolis version of The Bigs, but the Moreau version traded just fine.

Any confirmation?[/QUOTE]

I traded in four copies of The Bigs this afternoon, two apiece at different stores. All three Pujols covers traded in fine, the Morneau cover was not in their system. So the guy just scanned the Pujols one twice for me.

[quote name='Bavgate']I don't have a GR around but there's a BB which sells used games. Would I be able to start the flipping craze at that location?

Kinda lazy to look if this question has been asked, haha.[/quote]

yeah as long as they have a trading license, but as far as crazy goes you might wanna start slow or just hit them really hard with 2 of each and pull something out of your ass like " I QA test for these companies".... that one works alot for me;)..then again all those companies really are within 20 mins from where I live.

[quote name='spauldingfan'] pull something out of your ass like " I QA test for these companies"[/quote]

HAHAHA. :applause:

I'll use that one, if you don't mind. :lol:

[quote name='Bavgate']HAHAHA. :applause:

I'll use that one, if you don't mind. :lol:[/quote]

go for it man! I always get the shady looks but then I pull that one out and the convo changes from you're a thief to " Wow that must be the coolest job ever...blah blah blah"... or just say you went to a garage sale and ..( fill in your own yard sale adventure)

[quote name='ghozt']i just tried printing in ps and it either cuts a little off the sides or if you scale it to fit media, it ends up being a little to small. anything special you did for it to print right? before i resized it and had kinkos print it, but those the bar code didn't scan.[/quote]

use legal size paper, or "fool" your printer. Tell it to print to legal size and just overlap (and tape) two sheets together. It should all fit on one.

[quote name='spauldingfan']go for it man! I always get the shady looks but then I pull that one out and the convo changes from you're a thief to " Wow that must be the coolest job ever...blah blah blah"... or just say you went to a garage sale and ..( fill in your own yard sale adventure)[/quote]

You are officially my new hero.

:bow:

[quote name='Karuto']Any report on whether Lost Odyssey will be sold at Blockbuster, or do we have to wait until Friday?[/QUOTE]

My Gamerush stated that they'll be getting 2 retail copies on Friday (I tried to pre-order\reserve on Sunday, but was told that can only be done 2-weeks in advance.) I was able to buy Mass Effect new the weekend after it was released, so there's a hopeful chance. Gives me a few days to get through Assasin's Creed...

Can someone keep an eye out for the current price of a pre-viewed Transformers (2007) regular edition dvd? The dropped the price of a new (regular edition) copy to $12.99 ($20 for the double disc), but the pre-viewed dvd still rang up at $15 as of sunday. If they dropped the prive to $10, I might try to get through spider-man 3 and take advantage of the 4/$20 $9.99 dvd sale.

[quote name='h2dk']use legal size paper, or "fool" your printer. Tell it to print to legal size and just overlap (and tape) two sheets together. It should all fit on one.[/quote]

ahh so if i told kinkos to use legal size instead of regular it should work then. i just picked up a copy of mua/forza so thank you very much for the quick reply.

I forgot to share my story of Devil May Cry (Friday Night). I had ordered the CE edition for 60$ which was fully paid off. However the nimrods had sold the one and only CE they had to someone else at lunch time. Needless to say I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to the CE goodies (For Free). After ranting and sobing, I agreed to accept the lowly regular version, expecting a straight exchange.

Well the BB gods smiled on me once again, and when the CE edition was cancelled it refunded me 79$, so I actually made 20$ on the deal !!

[quote name='stoned99']I forgot to share my story of Devil May Cry (Friday Night). I had ordered the CE edition for 60$ which was fully paid off. However the nimrods had sold the one and only CE they had to someone else at lunch time. Needless to say I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to the CE goodies (For Free). After ranting and sobing, I agreed to accept the lowly regular version, expecting a straight exchange.

Well the BB gods smiled on me once again, and when the CE edition was cancelled it refunded me 79$, so I actually made 20$ on the deal !![/quote]

I went to reserve it for the 59 price tag and they said odds are they wouldnt get it in, so I settled for the reg as well. Turns out they got in 3 CE for the 360...... They are jsut lucky I paid next to nothing for mine...:bomb:

[quote name='stoned99']I forgot to share my story of Devil May Cry (Friday Night). I had ordered the CE edition for 60$ which was fully paid off. However the nimrods had sold the one and only CE they had to someone else at lunch time. Needless to say I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to the CE goodies (For Free). After ranting and sobing, I agreed to accept the lowly regular version, expecting a straight exchange.

Well the BB gods smiled on me once again, and when the CE edition was cancelled it refunded me 79$, so I actually made 20$ on the deal !![/QUOTE]

Nice to see that haven't fixed this glitch in 3+ years :roll:. Of course it can work against you as well if you preordered a game for $50 that then ends up retailing for $40. You don't get the $10 back without a ton of hassle. I believe Botticus got hosed out of some credit that way that he never got back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back