The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wizeguy']Remind me not to go and try to pick up chicks at the bar with you. ;)[/QUOTE]

Man, what ladies wouldn't be down with some dudes from CAG trolling their local Blockbuster for deals? :cool:

[quote name='thedragon']Man, what ladies wouldn't be down with some dudes from CAG trolling their local Blockbuster for deals? :cool:[/QUOTE]

Chicks dig flippers. LOL Ok probably not but in my dreams they do.

49¢ 20oz Cokes? I'd buy two of that for a dollar.

I guess I'm going to buy my first blu-ray ever because of this deal. Pretty much no way BB is going to have 5 games worth buying that I haven't played. I look forward to sifting through dozens and dozens blurays of Copout.

[quote name='mrwogs2']I'll head out Friday morning and check. My BBV is about 2 miles away.[/QUOTE]
Mine's like five blocks from here and the manager was really cool there today n lemme put a hold on like 17 games.:evil: So I don't even have to go in and try to grab all dem shitz come the start of the game sale. He even let me check the conditions on all of the games(minimal scratches on all:whee:) AND put the games IN the cases already, so all I gotta do is show up Friday or Saturday and I'm set.:lol:;)
[quote name='Sgt Barone']So I went to rent Halo Anniversary from Blockbuster, and to my surprise, they left the DLC codes in the boxes! So I rushed home, and my code for the $15 map pack export was valid! If you want this, I'd go to Blockbuster before the end of today and you'll probably have the same luck I did![/QUOTE]
And you see nothing wrong with stealing a DLC code? Because they left it in the case that automatically makes it alright for you to take and use it?

[quote name='DerClaw']I mean he posted prices for the games from Gamefly and the trade in value for the games at BBV. What more steps could you possibly want? Directions from your house to the closest BBV? Post your address and I'll Google Map it up for you.[/QUOTE]
Hallelujah and AMEN.:applause:That's ALL I'm saying on that.;)
[quote name='strait edge follower']Some tiv's got nukeod at bestbuy today :([/QUOTE]
Please tell me it's just the Gamefly game tiv's.:pray: Oh please tell me it's just them.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Mine's like five blocks from here and the manager was really cool there today n lemme put a hold on like 17 games.:evil: So I don't even have to go in and try to grab all dem shitz come the start of the game sale. He even let me check the conditions on all of the games(minimal scratches on all:whee:) AND put the games IN the cases already, so all I gotta do is show up Friday or Saturday and I'm set.:lol:;)

And you see nothing wrong with stealing a DLC code? Because they left it in the case that automatically makes it alright for you to take and use it?[/QUOTE]

Which Blockbuster do you go to? That's not cool man if we're gonna be hitting up the same one there's no honor in holding 17 games.. :???:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Hallelujah and AMEN.:applause:That's ALL I'm saying on that.;)

Please tell me it's just the Gamefly game tiv's.:pray: Oh please tell me it's just them.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Nope. They nuked all but one of my bbv targets as well. I'm loosing out on 32$ because of this. I'll still make good profit off those same games but I want that extra 32 !

[quote name='IronZombie']Which Blockbuster do you go to? That's not cool man if we're gonna be hitting up the same one there's no honor in holding 17 games.. :???:[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure we've been over this numerous times, man. I'm down in PA(not saying where in PA though) and I believe you've said you're in IL or somewhere else other than here.

Either way, I stand by the old adage of the early bird catching the worm and I intend on gobbling that mf'er down in one gulp n coming back for seconds n thirds after the last couple BOGO's got raped by some outta town fuckwads who cleared everything out.

I'm pretty sure it was the same two numbnuts who swooped down from NY state when HWV was still in business to clean out their $5 used game sales before I could even get to the first one in my area.:roll: So if it stops those pricks in their tracks, then so be it if I'm using 'uncool' tactics to get an unfair advantage.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the 3 for $20 and 5 for $30 deal is NOT a "open house" weekend deal only. I kinda got the feeling that people were thinking that. The new pricing is gonna go on til at least the end of the year if not longer and just become the "normal" deal.

Still don't know for sure if this will be an auto barcode deal or not. We received our new barcode scanning sheet for the week and there was no barcode for scanning the new deals But that doesn't mean they won't give it to us later in the week.

Finally for people reporting that their stores told them the sale starts on Friday While there is a 90% chance it will there is nothing in writing or communication stating this (at least none that i have found). They are taking an educated guess from all the info that was sent to us but I was talking to another store manager and he thinks it might not start til sat since that's what is on the flyers being handed out to customers.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Just wanted to let everyone know that the 3 for $20 and 5 for $30 deal is NOT a "open house" weekend deal only. I kinda got the feeling that people were thinking that. The new pricing is gonna go on til at least the end of the year if not longer and just become the "normal" deal.

Still don't know for sure if this will be an auto barcode deal or not. We received our new barcode scanning sheet for the week and there was no barcode for scanning the new deals But that doesn't mean they won't give it to us later in the week.

Finally for people reporting that their stores told them the sale starts on Friday While there is a 90% chance it will there is nothing in writing or communication stating this (at least none that i have found). They are taking an educated guess from all the info that was sent to us but I was talking to another store manager and he thinks it might not start til sat since that's what is on the flyers being handed out to customers.[/QUOTE]

That is just sick! A sale like this lasting until the end of the year... :drool: Stores are gonna get completely cleaned out.

[quote name='esalw822']That is just sick! A sale like this lasting until the end of the year... :drool: Stores are gonna get completely cleaned out.[/QUOTE]

That might be what blockbuster is going for, I know my store is inventory heavy. I'm looking forward to this sale I live by a blockbuster basically out in the middle of nowhere, so it never gets hit by the flippers and horders.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Mine's like five blocks from here and the manager was really cool there today n lemme put a hold on like 17 games.:evil: So I don't even have to go in and try to grab all dem shitz come the start of the game sale. He even let me check the conditions on all of the games(minimal scratches on all:whee:) AND put the games IN the cases already, so all I gotta do is show up Friday or Saturday and I'm set.:lol:;)

And you see nothing wrong with stealing a DLC code? Because they left it in the case that automatically makes it alright for you to take and use it?[/QUOTE]

Thx dude, appreciate it!! Holding 17 games...pffff. You really have gotten sleazy huh? lol. Oh and who cares if the guy used the DLC that was left in the case. Basically the first person who rents it should get it...

[quote name='aspen1284']Im hoping this sale is an automatic thing cause I've asked 2 BBVs in my area if they've heard anything about this sale and no one knew a thing.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Just wanted to let everyone know that the 3 for $20 and 5 for $30 deal is NOT a "open house" weekend deal only. I kinda got the feeling that people were thinking that. The new pricing is gonna go on til at least the end of the year if not longer and just become the "normal" deal.

Finally for people reporting that their stores told them the sale starts on Friday While there is a 90% chance it will there is nothing in writing or communication stating this (at least none that i have found). They are taking an educated guess from all the info that was sent to us but I was talking to another store manager and he thinks it might not start til sat since that's what is on the flyers being handed out to customers.[/QUOTE]

I just creamed my pants a few times after reading that

[quote name='kouleefoh']eh, most likely all the games will be cleaned out after the weekend anyways. =/[/QUOTE]

Im acually cleaening out my bbv stock first thing in the morning on friday lol. I hope they restock

HB, if at all possible, could you please tell me the TIV for Halo Reach & Dead Island 360? Thank you.

[quote name='kouleefoh']eh, most likely all the games will be cleaned out after the weekend anyways. =/[/QUOTE]
While this is true, we do have a chance for rental conversions and for stores that aren't selling much to ship their games to our stores. The possibility is nice!

[quote name='Gertle627']HB, if at all possible, could you please tell me the TIV for Halo Reach & Dead Island 360? Thank you.

While this is true, we do have a chance for rental conversions and for stores that aren't selling much to ship their games to our stores. The possibility is nice![/QUOTE]
you're right, and forgot about possible price drops of games above $14.99

This is a little off topic, but my BBV says that the new $9.99 used blu-rays (Horrible Bosses, Harry Potter, Green Lantern) do not work with the 5 for $20 deal. Is this true and if so do you think they will not work with the upcoming 5 for $30 deal? I was planning on throwing in a blu-ray or two if my stores don't have very many games.

This is a little off topic, but my BBV says that the new $9.99 used blu-rays (Horrible Bosses, Harry Potter, Green Lantern) do not work with the 5 for $20 deal. Is this true and if so do you think they will not work with the upcoming 5 for $30 deal? I was planning on throwing in a blu-ray or two if my stores don't have very many games.

yeah they arent supposed to be part of any deal. i posted it a couple days ago.

Lurkers? By now I would think that the larger companies would be on to us. Actually...I'm suprised it has taken so long.

[quote name='akiefer']Lurkers? By now I would think that the larger companies would be on to us. Actually...I'm suprised it has taken so long.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with you. You cant rule out that they just check out their competitors site.

Not hard to spend 5 minutes and go to GS, Target, WM, GF and amazon and see what is on sale.

I don't know why it matters if the title trade-ins have been nuked. I'm looking forward to this deal for stuff to play/get for gifts.

Quick question about PS3 games , Medal of Honor and Dead Space 2 . They both come with extra games ie MOH Airborn and DS Extraction . My Question is are they on they disc or do they have a voucher card to redeem ? Thanks !

[quote name='Gosha']I don't know why it matters if the title trade-ins have been nuked. I'm looking forward to this deal for stuff to play/get for gifts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, I just want a few games to play...I don't have any dreams of getting rich off of this thing

I looked through the BB in Columbia MD yesterday. They had plenty of games, but all either expensive ones ($34.99 Halo - 10 of them etc) or terrible $6.99 games... Even all of the Fallout New Vegas seemed gone...

There was a Red Dead for $24... If only that was $19...

[quote name='spacegundam0079']Quick question about PS3 games , Medal of Honor and Dead Space 2 . They both come with extra games ie MOH Airborn and DS Extraction . My Question is are they on they disc or do they have a voucher card to redeem ? Thanks ![/QUOTE]

Extraction is on the DS2 disk if you can find a limited edition copy (It'll say limited edition on the case). Not sure about MoH.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']Quick question about PS3 games , Medal of Honor and Dead Space 2 . They both come with extra games ie MOH Airborn and DS Extraction . My Question is are they on they disc or do they have a voucher card to redeem ? Thanks ![/QUOTE]

I'm 90% sure they are both on the discs themselves and not codes. During the last B1G1 nearly all my stores had at least 1 copy of Medal of Honor for ps3. It might be harder to track down a copy this time around. I'm not saying it's impossible though. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for reminding me I want to buy Dead Space 2 for both systems (1 for achievements and 1 for Dead Space Extraction). I know I have a problem.

The Medal of Honor original game (Frontlines) is included on the disc. You just install it to your hard drive. It isn't a DLC code, so you'll be good to go!

[quote name='HakaHina']Extraction is on the DS2 disk if you can find a limited edition copy (It'll say limited edition on the case). Not sure about MoH.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm pretty sure we've been over this numerous times, man. I'm down in PA(not saying where in PA though) and I believe you've said you're in IL or somewhere else other than here.

Either way, I stand by the old adage of the early bird catching the worm and I intend on gobbling that mf'er down in one gulp n coming back for seconds n thirds after the last couple BOGO's got raped by some outta town fuckwads who cleared everything out.

I'm pretty sure it was the same two numbnuts who swooped down from NY state when HWV was still in business to clean out their $5 used game sales before I could even get to the first one in my area.:roll: So if it stops those pricks in their tracks, then so be it if I'm using 'uncool' tactics to get an unfair advantage.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow.. I'm thinking of someone else then :shock: my bad carry on.

I guess I'm just getting nervous because there are a couple of these out of towners in my area as well that seem to just rape the store if I don't get there quick enough and on Friday I'm in class until 2pm so hopefully there's something still there.

[quote name='mrwogs2']The Medal of Honor original game (Frontlines) is included on the disc. You just install it to your hard drive. It isn't a DLC code, so you'll be good to go![/QUOTE]

You still need the disc to act as a key for the game though.

Worker at a blockbuster that I go to is holding games for me until Saturday. Very nice of him.

Metro 2033
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
Crash of the Titans
Need For Speed Shift 2 Unleashed
Splatterhouse

Not a bad deal for $30 in my opinion. All $14.99 games.

I never thought of buying games from bbv but the manager of the closest one to me is an old high school friend, I wonder if she would hold a few for me.... Hmmmm going to go check out their prices/stock. Hope shes working!

[quote name='schuerm26']Worker at a blockbuster that I go to is holding games for me until Saturday. Very nice of him.

Metro 2033
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
Crash of the Titans
Need For Speed Shift 2 Unleashed
Splatterhouse

Not a bad deal for $30 in my opinion. All $14.99 games.[/QUOTE]

You're going to love metro and be very disappointed with all the rest. That was the best selection of games to hold?

I also just put 5 games on hold as well at my local BBV (in Denver)

Dragon Age II
Mindjack
Ratchet - Crack in Time
Darksiders
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions

I know that darksiders and ratchet are $10, but couldn't find anything else worthwhile that I don't already have.

[quote name='lude21']Thx dude, appreciate it!! Holding 17 games...pffff. You really have gotten sleazy huh? lol. Oh and who cares if the guy used the DLC that was left in the case. Basically the first person who rents it should get it...[/QUOTE]
You don't even know what I had held for me at the store. Here's a hint: It was mostly Wii shit. From what I remember, you don't have a Wii system, so :razz:.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']By the way HB what happened to the buy $25 get $5 in GCs? Thought it was supposed to start sometime soon. Or was it December?[/QUOTE]

His initial post said sometime in Dec I think. Im wondering if I wait for that to get games I actually want to keep. IDK.

My local BBV has no games under $14.99 that I am interested in.

At least the rental pass has been working out pretty well.

Went by my local bb. Ugh such a poor selection and all mispriced (DA2 for 19.99). It wouldn't be worth my time. May have to check another one in town tomorrow.

bread's done
Back