The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']Anybody else have some Open house going on this weekend at Blockbuster Nov. 19 and 20th?

they're having MW3 tourney, movie trivia, giveaways, lower prices on rental and previously played purchases.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see anything about an open house but I did see a signup sheet for a MW3 tourney on the 19th. I thought that was odd in and of itself. But I guess it is all part of this promo.

So not trying to spread any bad info but here's what I found out through calling 3 stores last night (1 store had apparently just gotten off of a conference call with their DM)

1) 1 store told me that since they weren't taking part in the "Open House" that they would not have the sale going on either. (I hope this is BS because this is my closest store ) If it's a corporate sale I would think that all stores must participate whether they know it or not. Unless its a special bar code in which case I could see getting screwed.

2) 2 stores told me that it starts Friday at 10am.

3) The mix-in-match games and movies is a go as already confirmed in this thread.

Just wanted to share the info I got. Hope it helps some people. Fingers crossed that it actually starts today.

I can't go until lunch (12ish eastern) so someone else will probably have posted by then. Also, just keep in mind that HB is the most informed BB employee ever. How many times have we had to tell the employees that a sale has started - even if this one did start today, they're not going to know about it.

[quote name='mrwogs2']Negative on the sale today. It starts Friday. I just stopped by my BBV and spoke to the awesome employee there. Three more days![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, saved me a long trip :)

[quote name='mrwogs2']Negative on the sale today. It starts Friday. I just stopped by my BBV and spoke to the awesome employee there. Three more days![/QUOTE]

Thanks man ! Now to check daily after work to see if my 5 games are there till friday and to see of new transfers were made. I just love treasure hunting lol

Few more trade values, both PS3 and 360:
12Homefront
Mafia II
Dead Space 2
F.E.A.R. 3
Cars 2
and LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean for Wii  12

With Friday start day, I'm gonna gamble on the Gamefly sale items arriving in time http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308258 Notable items, free shipping:
:360: Brink $5.99
:360: Duke Nukem Forever $5.99
:360: Homefront $6.99
:360: Red Faction: Armageddon $7.99
:360: F.E.A.R. 3 $9.99
:ps3: Duke Nukem Forever $5.99
:ps3: Brink $5.99
:ps3: Homefront $6.99
:ps3: Red Faction: Armageddon $7.99
:wii: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean $7.99

[quote name='dys006']Few more trade values, both PS3 and 360:
12 Homefront
 6 Mafia II
 6 Dead Space 2
17 F.E.A.R. 3
12 Cars 2

and LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean for Wii 12

With Friday start day, I'm gonna gamble on building some credit from Gamefly sale with free shipping. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308258 Notable items:
[/QUOTE]

Just want to say thanks! I'm not flipping games from Gamefly or anything, but that info along with the BBV TIVs is extremely helpful.

12Homefront
Mafia II
Dead Space 2
F.E.A.R. 3
Cars 2

With Friday start day, I'm gonna gamble on the Gamefly sale items arriving in time http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308258 Notable items, free shipping:
[/QUOTE]

I like how you put everything in smaller font, I always read it like you are whispering the info. I'm not even making fun, 100% serious.

12Homefront
Mafia II
Dead Space 2
F.E.A.R. 3
Cars 2

[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that my friend ........

I was told monday that the sale would start this friday. The blockbuster employee was reading from some flyer ad.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Good luck with that my friend ........[/QUOTE]

Those were my thoughts. I was thinking of flipping but just bought some Gamefly games for myself instead. Unless u live next door to a gamefly warehouse, I think 1 day shipping is a necessity to receive anything this week.

Hopefully we are wrong and I wish everyone the best of luck building up credit.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']Someone should update the OP with this new upcoming sale info.[/QUOTE]

io usually updates after the sale starts to give us a chance against lurkers, horados and moms.

[quote name='Sgt Barone']Someone should update the OP with this new upcoming sale info.[/QUOTE]

Honestly if you want to read all the pertinent info, then click hawaiiboys name and read his comments.

[quote name='enufs8d']io usually updates after the sale starts to give us a chance against lurkers, horados and moms.[/QUOTE]
Also to avoid legitimizing speculation as he already posted.

I just got an email about this. It definitely starts on Friday. It says it is only Friday and Saturday though, unless that is just for the open house events and the game and movie sale continues on.

[quote name='Scorpion']what are some good xbox 360 games for this Sale??[/QUOTE]

Whoops. Totally misread your post. Thought it asked to explain the sale.

This is from the email: It says Join the Open House, Nov. 19th and 20th.

Events
11/19 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Tournament
11/20 - Kids Day events
Movie trivia games and prizes
FREE giveaways and samples
Store tours - come see what's new!

Rent Specials
49¢ rentals all weekend of movies $1.99 and less and 99¢ games

Purchase Specials
Get a Blu-ray player for just $49.99 when you sign up for a 1-year
subscription to Blockbuster Combo Pass or Blockbuster Total Access. Combo Pass subscribers can get early access
to blu-ray deal starting today.

49¢ 20oz Cokes

NEW
Build your own box set:
• Previously viewed movies & games $14.99 and
below - includes Blu-ray!
- 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99
• New movies $12.99 and below
- 3 for $24.99 or 5 for $39.99

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Those were my thoughts. I was thinking of flipping but just bought some Gamefly games for myself instead. Unless u live next door to a gamefly warehouse, I think 1 day shipping is a necessity to receive anything this week.

Hopefully we are wrong and I wish everyone the best of luck building up credit.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='schuerm26']Whoops. Totally misread your post. Thought it asked to explain the sale.

This is from the email: It says Join the Open House, Nov. 19th and 20th.

Events
11/19 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Tournament
11/20 - Kids Day events
Movie trivia games and prizes
FREE giveaways and samples
Store tours - come see what's new!

Rent Specials
49¢ rentals all weekend of movies $1.99 and less and 99¢ games

Purchase Specials
Get a Blu-ray player for just $49.99 when you sign up for a 1-year
subscription to Blockbuster Combo Pass or Blockbuster Total Access. Combo Pass subscribers can get early access
to blu-ray deal starting today.

49¢ 20oz Cokes

NEW
Build your own box set:
• Previously viewed movies & games $14.99 and
below - includes Blu-ray!
- 3 for $19.99 or 5 for $29.99
• New movies $12.99 and below
- 3 for $24.99 or 5 for $39.99[/QUOTE]

When does the build your box set start.. by any chance do you know what games they are going.to have ob.the sale?

[quote name='Scorpion']It's because it says those sales are expired since September :s[/QUOTE]
Any game under $14.99 qualifies for the sale whenever it does start.

[quote name='Scorpion']When does the build your box set start.. by any chance do you know what games they are going.to have ob.the sale?[/QUOTE]

Everything starts on Friday

[quote name='bardockkun']Any game under $14.99 qualifies for the sale whenever it does start.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok thanks.. wow too bad I already bought most of the good games on the sale from gamefly...

[quote name='Scorpion']Oh ok thanks.. wow too bad I already bought most of the good games on the sale from gamefly...[/QUOTE]
If not then should be able to mix and match with Blu Ray titles as well that are 14.99 or under as well.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337'][quote name='strait edge follower']Good luck with that my friend ........[/QUOTE]Those were my thoughts. I was thinking of flipping but just bought some Gamefly games for myself instead. Unless u live next door to a gamefly warehouse, I think 1 day shipping is a necessity to receive anything this week.
Hopefully we are wrong and I wish everyone the best of luck building up credit.[/QUOTE]

My return is still over 75%, even with Overnight shipping, and my stores are well stocked.
BBV flipping was always my favorite, so I want to keep that feeling alive. :lol:

Not to mention, I'm at the store next to my house a couple times a week, so this is like pre-paying for a discount on my usual rentals and snacks/drinks.

12Homefront
Mafia II
Dead Space 2
F.E.A.R. 3
Cars 2

[/QUOTE]

Hi can you explain to.me what your plan is. I have some of those games from previous gamefly sales and i would like to know if I would get cash through trade ins or credit. Thank you sorry I am a noob.at this :D

[quote name='Scorpion']Hi can you explain to.me what your plan is. I have some of those games from previous gamefly sales and i would like to know if I would get cash through trade ins or credit. Thank you sorry I am a noob.at this :D[/QUOTE]

I mean he posted prices for the games from Gamefly and the trade in value for the games at BBV. What more steps could you possibly want? Directions from your house to the closest BBV? Post your address and I'll Google Map it up for you.

[quote name='schuerm26']I just got an email about this. It definitely starts on Friday. It says it is only Friday and Saturday though, unless that is just for the open house events and the game and movie sale continues on.[/QUOTE]
Where in the e-mail does it state that the sale starts on Friday? The only dates I see are the 19th and 20th which are Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.blockbuster.com/openhouse

Im hoping this sale is an automatic thing cause I've asked 2 BBVs in my area if they've heard anything about this sale and no one knew a thing.

I'm wondering where people are getting Friday the 18th info from? Everything I've 'seen' points to the 19th (saturday). Of course I'll be right along with everyone else watching the east coaster venture out on their journeys friday morning.

So this is NOT in any way a conventional b1g1 like we've been having...not of the 14.99 and under or the "free game must be" 14.99 and under variety.

This is only 3 for 20 or 5 for 30 ONLY on 14.99 and under games...

Huh, the only way I can get my local BBV to come up to search 360 games is to type "360 blockbuster video". If I just look for 360 games BBV doesn't even come up as a local in stock option any more (used to just at the last sale), and even if I type in "360 blockbuster" but leave out "video" it won't give me my local one, but one about an hour away.

As much as I'm looking forward to this sale, I'm not looking forward to going back into my local BB. Last time there was a B1G1 the lady behind the counter didn't know the sale was going on and I had to sit there and inform her and convince her to check. Then, she didn't want to ring up several purchases separately so I could match prices on the B1G1 offer - by the time I left the store she looked liked she want to stab me in the face. Its not really my fault but damn I hope she's off that day :lol:

[quote name='thedragon']by the time I left... she looked liked she want to stab me in the face.[/QUOTE]

Remind me not to go and try to pick up chicks at the bar with you. ;)

bread's done
Back