The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope.

Regular Joe Schmoe customer gets a $5 gc if they buy either a 3/20 or a 5/30.

Combo Pass customers get a $10 gc for either bundle instead.

[quote name='godsmack13']Nope.

Regular Joe Schmoe customer gets a $5 gc if they buy either a 3/20 or a 5/30.

Combo Pass customers get a $10 gc for either bundle instead.[/QUOTE]

If I sign up for a combo pass today, will I get the $10 giftcard at ANY BBV? Even if it's not the one I signed up at?

I bought 5 bundles yesterday. I could have got an extra $25 in giftcards. I'll probably buy more bundles today.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']umm isnt combo pass:

3/$20 = $5 giftcard

5/$30 = $10 giftcard[/QUOTE]

From what I remember HB said it was $5 on any previewed bundle and $10 on any previewed bundle IF you were a Combo Pass member.

If I sign up for a combo pass today, will I get the $10 giftcard at ANY BBV? Even if it's not the one I signed up at?

No, since the combo pass is only good at the store you sign up in. The bundle has to rung up on the combo pass acct and if you go to another store it will not show you as being a combo pass person.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']No, since the combo pass is only good at the store you sign up in. The bundle has to rung up on the combo pass acct and if you go to another store it will not show you as being a combo pass person.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks hawaiiboy. One last question. If I sign up for the $7.99 student pass, will it autorenew every month (for $15) ?

Wait wait there is a student pass for $7.99 each month? Is it a discounted combo pass? Do college students qualify?

One last question. If I sign up for the $7.99 student pass, will it autorenew every month (for $15) ?

yes, the student pass will auto renew but at $7.99 as that is the normal price for the student pass.

Wait wait there is a student pass for $7.99 each month? Is it a discounted combo pass? Do college students qualify?

the student pass doesnt include the brand new $2.99 releases.

Something tells me a bunch of the same people that flooded BBV with Kinect Adventures did the same with Duke Nukem Forever.

Show of hands....how many of you bastids that did the KA flip in a sickening amount did the DNF flip?

There were a few games at my BBV, including Fallout New Vegas, however I couldn't find 3 that I liked, so I just rented The Help with my girlfriend and was on my way.

Well, I traded in my two Dukes from BBY last night; got five games. Today, I used that $5 GC and $5 of remaining credit to get three more games for $10. I then went to another store, used my new $5 GC and $5 remaining credit from Brinks to get an additional three games.

But then, the lady asked if I was a pass member. I told her I wish! As I want that $10 GC. Now, I thought this lady didn't like me... she seems to get a bit irritated at my rather small volume of trades (I've traded less than 6 games in at that store, total). But I've always been very polite and nice. Welp, wouldn't you know it, she schemed with someone else to get me the $7.50 discounted price! So, I spent ~$20, but got three more games, a $10 (!) GC, and a month of rentals, which I'm currently using on Kirby Mass Attack.

Tossed in an old copy of Motorstorm from my own collection for a total of 12 games. Hit two different Gamestops, and now have $130 in credit.

So, final tally is $10 of BBY credit (which I got for like $3) + ~$30 OoP + two hours = $130 GS credit, $10 BBV credit, month of rentals. Not amazing, but definitely decent.

But see, now it has occured to me; with B2G1 @ GS, and Duke Nukem only $8; compounded with the fact I get a $10 BBV GC with every set of three.... well, I could basically infinitely multiply my money until I cleaned out the BBV store.

But, I'm not gonna push my luck. I'm glad I realize I'm now on this lady's "good side" and don't want to be pushy. And I've done pretty well today; I don't care to rape and pillage the stores.

Well, lucky you! I had pretty much the opposite experience. They still had the $7.50 Combo Price pass posted and when I went to sign up for it they said that wasn't supposed to be there and tore the sign down and didn't let me get that price. But I felt a little better after I traded a single DNF there and then saw they had 8 or 9 on the shelves (these are just converted overbought rental stock - seriously doubt anyone else has traded it at this store).

So, I was just going to buy my 5 games, get my $5 gift card and be done with it. But then I realized I'd get $5 more with the pass so that essentially makes it cost $10 instead of $15. Since that's only $2.50 more than the deal I was going to sign up for eventually anyway, I figured what the hell, so I signed up for it. I never realized when you rented a game that they gave yoiu the actual game case!? No wonder some of them are in such crappy shape and have manuals missing, etc... Last time I rented a game (2 years ago or so?) they used the BBV cases for them, not the actual ones - they would just put those back on the shelf. I much prefer that method - why did they change?

Then I bought 5 games and got the $10 card. Yeah, I realize it is slightly cheaper to get them 3 at a time, but whatever... I will probably swing by there and get 3 more tomorrow. They didn't have anything great but they had about 5 copies of Smackdown vs Raw 2011 which is a decent trade at Amazon so I picked that up.

While I was looking at games I overheard one of the clerks talking about having to work at other stores that are struggling. One store in particular I had stopped in at when this sale first started and they had the most pathetic selection of games. He said they are having lease problems and will probably close down, as will another one I go to occasionally. Then he said my local store, which I always thought of as small and on the chopping block, would be the last to close as it is the only one out of 16 in the district that made any money last quarter! He said one reason is everybody around here pays cash so they don't have the credit card overhead. But also he said they keep getting stock sent from other stores. This is quite a reversal because it wasn't long ago that this store never got any of the goodies (remember the prepack games and 99 cent blu-rays?).

Anyway, I don't know if I'll keep the pass for more than a month. It still adds up to 50 cents a day which, while that doesn't seem like much, it is a lot if you don't swap things out constantly and I doubt I will go there all that often. I usually buy my games for $5-$10 tops anyway, so renting one for a couple weeks ends up costing more than that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up doing two nukes to one store and grabbed 5 games that quickly went over to BBY where I'm not banned, yet. Still have about $2 in credit and a $5 gift card so kind of hoping that they pull just enough games from rental to sale on Monday that I can combine that with maybe one more trade in of whatever for one last bundle before the year ends. Maybe I'll just get 5 dukes and give them to people as gifts, just to throw BBV a bone.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Something tells me a bunch of the same people that flooded BBV with Kinect Adventures did the same with Duke Nukem Forever.

Show of hands....how many of you bastids that did the KA flip in a sickening amount did the DNF flip?[/QUOTE]
Cant put this one on me. I only traded in 1 360 and 1 PS3 at 3 different stores.

I'll admit...my local BBV got 4 Dukes. On the other hand, I'm going to take all 4 of those Dukes back on Monday... Ha! My BBV loves me...they laugh everytime I come in cause they know I'm up to something but they can't seem to figure it out.

[quote name='aspen1284']I'll admit...my local BBV got 4 Dukes. On the other hand, I'm going to take all 4 of those Dukes back on Monday... Ha! My BBV loves me...they laugh everytime I come in cause they know I'm up to something but they can't seem to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's crazy. You paid $20. Got $68. Buy back for $6 ea. w/ 5/$60 deal. Get $5 (or $10) GC too. What's next? Trade them in to TRU for $12.25 each? Micro Center?

[quote name='hawaiiboy']You get a $5 giftcard on ANY pre viewed bundle OR new retail bundle. Only combo pass members get a $10 giftcard when purchasing a bundle this weekend.[/QUOTE]

The guys at my local BBV insisted the gift card was only offered with pre-viewed movies and games, not new ones. I got 3 used and 3 new and they only gave me the one gift card... wish I'd known this for certain when I was in there, I would've argued more.

shhhhhhhhh. lol. even with bb tiv's not doing so well, all of a sudden we have all this tru/bbv trade ins and bestbuy deals, flipping is the quest that keeps on giving ;)

Yea...what velo said. Some things are better left for those that do their own research, and not for the millions of lurkers that leech off the contributers.

The guys at my local BBV insisted the gift card was only offered with pre-viewed movies and games, not new ones. I got 3 used and 3 new and they only gave me the one gift card... wish I'd known this for certain when I was in there, I would've argued more.

Wow. The barcode for new retail is right next to the barcode for pre viewed.

Traded in my 3 Duke today no problem. Got $54 in credit, bought 5 games and Kirbys Mass Attack and got the $5 GC.

5 games were

Dead Space 2 (360)
Mafia 2 (PS3)
Mario vs DK Mini Land Mayhem (DS)
Lego Star Wars 3 (DS)
God of War Collection (PS3)

they had a few Duke Nukems and alot of Brinks in there. Might go there and use my GC on 3 more games and grab the Smackdown vs Raw, Enslaved and a Duke Nukem.

[quote name='aspen1284']I'll admit...my local BBV got 4 Dukes. On the other hand, I'm going to take all 4 of those Dukes back on Monday... Ha! My BBV loves me...they laugh everytime I come in cause they know I'm up to something but they can't seem to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. The cashiers and even the manager at my closest store always ask me what kinda 'scam' I'm running this month when I stop in during a sale.

If they only knew...;)

[quote name='akuma77']apparently no blockbuster in southern california takes trade ins...[/QUOTE]

Did an employee say that to you? I just went in to my local socal bbv and was turned down for the first time. Gave me some BS that the employees that did trade-ins for me before must have gotten written up for it.

[quote name='ninjabenja']Did an employee say that to you? I just went in to my local socal bbv and was turned down for the first time. Gave me some BS that the employees that did trade-ins for me before must have gotten written up for it.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely not true. I've traded to appoximately 6 different BBVs in the SoCal area as far back as June and as recently as this week (and been helped by more than a dozen employees in the process I'd wager). Some employees are just uniformed. I'd try back at a different time or hit up a different CS rep...

you guys with the combo pass, did you also receive some kind of free by-mail rental offer? When I did my pass, the manager said I will get the extra benefit of getting one mail rental per month. I thought it'd be great to use that for a game, but I sent it back in after a week, and they sent me another. I checked online and it says One out at a time/1 per month. Now i just cancelled the Combo pass but that feature is still available for my online account. Is this a glitch?

[quote name='kouleefoh']you guys with the combo pass, did you also receive some kind of free by-mail rental offer? When I did my pass, the manager said I will get the extra benefit of getting one mail rental per month. I thought it'd be great to use that for a game, but I sent it back in after a week, and they sent me another. I checked online and it says One out at a time/1 per month. Now i just cancelled the Combo pass but that feature is still available for my online account. Is this a glitch?[/QUOTE]

I got an email saying I could sign up to get that - but it implies it is ONE by-mail option per month (not one-at-a-time). But yeah, that would be good for a game - hadn't even thought of that. Of course I have all the games I could ever play already so the rentals are pretty much for stuff the kids want (I got Hasbro Family Game Night 4 today and me and my son played all that had to offer in about an hour and a half - perfect for rental!). If it glitches for multiple per month., that's fine by me though.

Ooh, Mario Vs DK Miniland is 14.99? Sweet. I gotta swing through and get that.
Also, I wonder if the trade ban on my account was ever lifted. Duke Nukem for a 17 TIV is insane.

[quote name='klimb22']Yeah, that's crazy. You paid $20. Got $68. Buy back for $6 ea. w/ 5/$60 deal. Get $5 (or $10) GC too. What's next? Trade them in to TRU for $12.25 each? Micro Center?[/QUOTE]

How many will TRU take? Do they have a limit? I don't know if I'd be a total DJ Kunai, but I'd try 5 Dukes if possible.

A manager at my store was nice and let me trade in 4 copies of Duke. 2 yesterday and 2 today. I feel bad, especially since they have like 8-10 copies not counting my 4 additional copies.

[quote name='Luuc']The guys at my local BBV insisted the gift card was only offered with pre-viewed movies and games, not new ones. I got 3 used and 3 new and they only gave me the one gift card... wish I'd known this for certain when I was in there, I would've argued more.[/QUOTE]

Same at one of my stores. I was wondering why they had $19.99 new Toy Story 1, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, Beauty and the Beast, Bambi, Tangled, Pincess and the Frog, Wall-e 3 of those chronicle of narnia ones, and a lot of other pretty decent $19.99 blu rays left.

All of those Disney Bluray, DVD, Digital copy combos would end up sort of being $7 a piece if you factor in the $5 giftcards. I already have of those movies, but maybe I should have bought them to resell or something. I figured leave them for someone with with kids to buy. It just sucks they won't get the $5 or $10 (pass) giftcards they deserve.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Do all toys r us stores take trade ins ? If so ill have some fun with this (with some form of restraint of course lol)[/QUOTE]

yes they should, never hurts to call as some local pawn laws may make it prohibitive

[quote name='godsmack13']:ps3: DNF tiv held again today, 17[/QUOTE]

Amazing. The girl at the counter even commented on how odd it was since the game was going to drop in price on Monday.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Amazing. The girl at the counter even commented on how odd it was since the game was going to drop in price on Monday.[/QUOTE]

any possible way this will still trade in for $17 tomorrow? Lol

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I would highly doubt it, I think the system updating on Mondays is just screwing them this time around.[/QUOTE]

yah...kinda figured..but one can hope.

On another note.....anyone know the TIV of Family Game Night 4 (Xbox 360)?

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']any possible way this will still trade in for $17 tomorrow? Lol[/QUOTE]

HB said it was dropping Monday. The TiV is almost always 1/2 the price of what the game sells for. I think this is automatic unless it is manually adjusted (which the only one I can think of that was manually adjusted was KA).

So I would say most likely no. But I do wonder if the TiV stays the same until the drops are accepted.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']HB said it was dropping Monday. The TiV is almost always 1/2 the price of what the game sells for. I think this is automatic unless it is manually adjusted (which the only one I can think of that was manually adjusted was KA).

So I would say most likely no. But I do wonder if the TiV stays the same until the drops are accepted.[/QUOTE]

When the TIV for Brink fell it was 4-5 days before the price change. Really odd that Duke has not fallen yet.

bread's done
Back