The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to 3 BBV's and none had more than like 40 games. Probably 25 of those 40 were FNV at two of the stores. Only one had anything I wanted: A couple of wii games, but both looked like they had been used to sandpaper down some limestone into a knife or something, so I passed since that store was really out of the way and I didn't think they would work as anything other than furniture sliders.

God, there are a lot of copies of FNV out there. I guess these guys didn't get any new games. They had small tables that they said were "all the games," and would not have fit more than the 40 that were on the table. STL BBV FTL I guess.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']this 25%-50%-75% is for any remaining game hardware. i didnt know any stores still had hardware but its 25% off now, 50% in 2 weeks and 75% in 3 weeks.

its supposed to be 50% off select strategy guides. there is no promotion for 50% of game accessories.

[/QUOTE]

My store had a sign that said "50% off Video Game Accessories." It was the same design as the "50% off Toys, Plush, etc." tags. My store still had various cables, controllers, etc. left... (until today that is). There was a SECOND sign that was distinctly different that specifically mentioned strategy guides as being 50% off.

They also had 2000 Wii Points for 9.99

No points cards at the blockbuster i went to but did buy a wireless headset for 10 dollars. They also had a three month live card for 10 bucks as well. Random stuff. Probably should have bought the card too.

I also had an el hoardo sighting, my first one ever. It was a few hours after your sighting back at the Alicia BBV. Not impressed.

[quote name='brianace']Made it to the Foothill Ranch, CA store just in time to make a rare sighting of el Hoardo in his natural habitat. The elusive beast known as el Hoardo rarely showers or wears clean clothes. This particular specimen weighed approximately 350 lbs, and was wearing an ill fitting tank top. It was interesting to observe that el Hoardo prefers to hunt alone. I observed him leaving his mate and offspring in a hot car in the parking lot, while he did all the hunting/gathering. While inside, he bought every DS and PS3 game that qualified for the sale, and over half of the Wii/360 selection as well. Stock up, el Hoardo, the summer is long, and if you are to keep your illegitimate child in diapers and formula for the rest of the year, you must purchase as much as possible, and sell them in your front yard for a markup of 500%. As el Hoardo staggered out into the parking lot with his massive load, the sun began to set, until Sunday, when the great cycle of life begins anew on the Serengetti Plain.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dyeknom']My store had a sign that said "50% off Video Game Accessories." It was the same design as the "50% off Toys, Plush, etc." tags. My store still had various cables, controllers, etc. left... (until today that is). There was a SECOND sign that was distinctly different that specifically mentioned strategy guides as being 50% off.

They also had 2000 Wii Points for 9.99

just wondering i went to 3 BBV's and didnt really look for the 1600 point cards. but i might go back now in order to buy dlc for FO:NV. but around where are the point cards. And BTW i think flipping is feasible if you have alot of gamestops nearby.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But you forget, people will wait till the last day of this BOGO sale to go in to try and find a copy of Fallout New Vegas and by then there may be none left.

So then they'll come on here and say how it's the hoarders fault that they couldn't find one and so on and so forth.:roll:

People will never be happy no matter what. But it just seems like any time someone mentions the words flipping and games in the same sentence the people come out of the woodwork to put in their two cents 90 billion times over about how that's 'wrong' and it's just getting old at this point.[/QUOTE]
its not wrong to exploit the market of video games. even if it was, BBV is responsible for making restrictions. and i bought 4 copies of a game so i dont think theres a limit. i

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Guess prices are YMMV? New Vegas and Kayne and Lynch and some other nice steals in this thread were like $25 for me :whistle2:/

Did get some nice blu-rays though! -- does anyone know where to get some good cheap replacement cases? Ones that look as identical as possible to the retail blu-ray cases?

Thanks for this thread![/QUOTE]

had that problem but i told her to ring up FO:NV and it came up as 14.99. maybe go back or call ahead and tell them to check and they will prolly both be 14.99 and be worth your trouble to go back and pick both them up.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']I'm preparing for a whole lot more Xbox 1600/4000 point cards on eBay/Amazon. This is gonna get messy/interesting.[/QUOTE]

They'll get there. The market seems to never get saturated with points though.

Only over saturation of the market in memory was that Netflix free 1 month code fiasco 2 years ago, $2 for 1 month Gold for the next few weeks was the going rate.

[quote name='jayrz9']just wondering i went to 3 BBV's and didnt really look for the 1600 point cards. but i might go back now in order to buy dlc for FO:NV. but around where are the point cards. And BTW i think flipping is feasible if you have alot of gamestops nearby.[/QUOTE]

GameStop sucks by the way, but yeah, the clamshell point cards were on a game endcap and other stuff was by the register. Today was the first day at 50% off, I'm positive. Good hunting.

I got a few more small ones today. Still haven't found another Fire Emblem: Radient Dawn yet. :(

:ps3: Assassin's Creed 2
ps3.gif
Genji
:360: Need for Speed Shift
xbox360.gif
Cars
xbox360.gif
Grid
xbox360.gif
Fracture

Picked up:

PS3: 9.99
Prince of Persia
Rainbow six vegas 2
Mirrors Edge
Darksiders

Also saw Call of duty modern warfare 1 listed as 14.99 for the PS3!

Picked up

Fallout New Vegas ps3 and 360 for a buddy 14.99
Need For Speed Shift ps3 9.99
Godfather 2 ps3 9.99

the store closest to me had tons of 360 however it seems el hoardo had plans for the ps3 aisle :(

Hit up two stores and not much out there. The only two games I really want were part of the sales since last year and I was never able to find them. Can't complain though as I've hardly made a dent in pile of games I grabbed last year.

Did at least get Lego Harry Potter and Mario Super Sluggers, both for Wii.

[quote name='XF Gator']GameStop sucks by the way, but yeah, the clamshell point cards were on a game endcap and other stuff was by the register. Today was the first day at 50% off, I'm positive. Good hunting.[/QUOTE]

The one I found was right in front of the registers, wouldn't of even seen them if I wasn't buying any games. They have a couple 1600 point cards left, and there was a sign right next to them that said 50% off.

Man, the table I got my MK guide from had a bunch of other stuff, but I didn't even look for points cards. Gonna hit up that store again after work this morning (right around the corner from home). It also had LEGO Indy, so I may pair that with something for $10.

I went to 3 stores last night, and contrary to earlier reports, all of South Florida is not wiped clean. Here's what I got:

Fallout New Vegas 360
The Godfather PS3
Burnout Paradise 360
FEAR 2 360
Borderlands PS3
TV Superstars PS3

All the stores had a good amount of games, with of course, a ton of FO:NV. I also ended up getting another Fallout NV for a friend and a PS3 copy to flip, but my friend doesn't want his copy, so I will flip both. I will hit 2 final stores tonight after work. All in all, I was mainly looking for FO:NV and Godfather and I got them, so I am happy.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']Bad Company 2 is 14.99, and 15 base TiV at Gamestop as of now.

Which means 16.50 after 10% and $20+ after promo of your choosing.[/QUOTE]

.................. I will leave you to buy up all the vanilla versions of Bad Company 2 in hopes of getting that $15 base.

Got DTR Retribution for 9.99 and Mario & Sonic Olympics for free. Probably just trade that one in though. Store in St Cloud, Florida had tons of FO NV of course and not much else. Really wanted BFC2. Didnt see too many flip opportunities.

Another thing I noticed was the MoH games had the cover of the limited edition (at least the generic blockbuster cover ones) but I'm assuming it's not actually the limited edition? Meaning won't be able to get into the BF3 beta? Did anyone pick up MoH from this sale and able to let me know?

I picked up

Resistance 2
Soul Caliber IV
Metal Slug Anthology
Mario Strikers Charged
House of the Dead 2 and 3 Returns
Bully

I'm happy with my haul. Will probably go back to my blockbusters and see what else they got before the sale ends

[quote name='Metal Militia']I picked up

Resistance 2
Soul Caliber IV
Metal Slug Anthology
Mario Strikers Charged
House of the Dead 2 and 3 Returns
Bully

I'm happy with my haul. Will probably go back to my blockbusters and see what else they got before the sale ends[/QUOTE]

Awesome pic in your sig!

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Another thing I noticed was the MoH games had the cover of the limited edition (at least the generic blockbuster cover ones) but I'm assuming it's not actually the limited edition? Meaning won't be able to get into the BF3 beta? Did anyone pick up MoH from this sale and able to let me know?[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately since MOH is an EA game, it also came with an online pass to play mp, so unless your BBV store(s) include that in the used copies then you're gonna have to pay $10 to get online for mp too.

If I remember correctly, the online code/LE code is on the back of the manual and not a seperate voucher, so all someone had to do was either have a photographic memory or snap a pic with their cell phone to steal the code.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unfortunately since MOH is an EA game, it also came with an online pass to play mp, so unless your BBV store(s) include that in the used copies then you're gonna have to pay $10 to get online for mp too.

If I remember correctly, the online code/LE code is on the back of the manual and not a seperate voucher, so all someone had to do was either have a photographic memory or snap a pic with their cell phone to steal the code.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Medal of Honor is not part of this program. The voucher is just like Battlefields bad company 2's voucher, it just entitles you to extra stuff. I got Medal of Honor off goozex and had no problem playing online aside from the annoying "redeem your code" popup every time I went back to the menu.

Lastly, I wouldn't even waste you're time with the MP. It's horrendously unbalanced, I thought I would be able to stick it out for the achievements but it really is so bad I gave up and traded it in. The single player is fantastic though.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Medal of Honor is not part of this program. The voucher is just like Battlefields bad company 2's voucher, it just entitles you to extra stuff. I got Medal of Honor off goozex and had no problem playing online aside from the annoying "redeem your code" popup every time I went back to the menu.

Lastly, I wouldn't even waste you're time with the MP. It's horrendously unbalanced, I thought I would be able to stick it out for the achievements but it really is so bad I gave up and traded it in. The single player is fantastic though.[/QUOTE]
Ahhh. I thought it WAS one of the ones you had to have the online code to play mp with.

If I knew that I woulda tried it on my copy I got from AWD a while ago mint/complete. Then again, I only wanted to play as an 'enemy combatant' and prime/cook a grenade while running at enemies screaming allahu ackbar.

Yes it's offensive, but then again I'm not exactly the most PC person out there in the first place.:razz:

The 4 BBVs I went to yesterday didn't have any points cards. I will resume my hunting this weekend since I got a bunch of closing shifts in a row.

Man, North OC, south LA county was the suck if you own a ps3. Unless of course you want fallout vegas. LEEEEAN pickings, La habra had maybe 20 games for ps3. Fullerton had nothing(literally, nothing for ps3) and Yorba linda had like 10. Sad.

Plenty of 360 stuff at La Habra though.

For me:

Fallout: New Vegas
Prince of Persia
Enslaved
Mass Effect Uno
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
GRID

For Amazon:
Fallout: New Vegas (2x PS3)
Fallout: New Vegas (2x 360)
SWFU:II (2x Wii)

One of the SWFU II seems kind of scratched. How picky is Amazon? I might try to go back and get a better disc.

Total: $86 - $69.75 in amazon credit for 6 games.

Went to another Blockbuster Video, picked up:
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles $15
Zelda: Spirit Tracks$15 -free

Kind of surprised that I didn't see any copies of Fallout: New Vegas. My first BB, I encountered had at least 3 copies for each system.

Edit: I found a 2000 point clamshell card. Is it supposed to have a number series exposed? I've never bought a Wii card like this or any Wii points yet. It looked like this, of course not all zeros: 0000-0000000-000000

[quote name='hawaiiboy']FYI, today's amazon trade in for the day is :wii: lego harry potter yrs 1-4 $18.[/QUOTE]

holy crap thats awesome, ill have to go back to one of the stores i visited i think i remember one of them having a few copies

Picked up Tiger Woods 11 and NBA Jam for the Wii.

Also saw two bubble-pack 2000 Wii point cards for $10 each. Thought about it, but still have points I don't use.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']FYI, today's amazon trade in for the day is :wii: lego harry potter yrs 1-4 $18.[/QUOTE]

Saw that this morning. Unfortunately I could not find a complete copy at any of the 4 stores I hit.

[quote name='henry00x']holy crap thats awesome, ill have to go back to one of the stores i visited i think i remember one of them having a few copies[/quote]

omg flipper hoarder

Thanks to the wonderful KC weather this morning I got to spend about 45 minutes in a backroom of a blockbuster. Kind of ate up my hunting time this morning.

Edit: On a side not though that I just noticed while looking at the games. I bought a Super Mario Galaxy at a store before the storms hit and they put Mario Galaxy 2 in the case!!

Man I'm mad so many of you are finding the clamshell MSP cards! I'll have to go back and check around, my store has SO MUCH CRAP randomly places around the store I may have missed them.

Is Metal of Honor $14.99 or less? They must not have been marked at my BBV and they are usually up to date with the markdowns. Might have to go back and get that.

[quote name='Tropicat']Is Metal of Honor $14.99 or less? They must not have been marked at my BBV and they are usually up to date with the markdowns. Might have to go back and get that.[/QUOTE]
I believe that one is still 19.99

Thanks for the update. Picked up Lost Planet 2 and The House of the Dead 2/3 for 10$. Also got some crap like Stephen Colbert's book I Am America (2$) and a Dirty Harry poster/print for $10. Nice employees at the Alexandria, LA store.

[quote name='YEAHBUDDY']Nice employees at the Alexandria, LA store.[/QUOTE]

Obviously there are probably exceptions, but in general, I am very happy with the Blockbuster employees. They are very helpful and friendly at all the locations I visit. Too bad we can't take Blockbuster employees and put them in order locations, like Sears and Kmart.

bread's done
Back