The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ryosnk']I was surprise that these were still available.

Punchout $14.99
Diddy kong racing $14.99 free[/QUOTE]

Hmm Punchout is $15? Don't remember seeing this one on any list!

[quote name='strait edge follower']I honesty don't recomend this game to anyone for any price, even 3.50[/QUOTE]

I thought C2 was awesome on ps3. I don't remember having any sound bugs. Highly recommended game.

[quote name='Readthepost']The above methods can remove too much.

*****Please test this on a cheap disk******

Try this:
Get a Dry-Eraser Marker (any color) and write over the marker. Wait 3 seconds and wipe it off......I couldn't believe myself, but it only removes the inks (the first and second layers). Rinse and repeat if the marker is stil there.[/QUOTE]

You know what, I actually did that before too! I thought it was just the dry eraser board though. I was making outlines with marker and then when I was filling it in I went over it with the dry erase marker and it came off.

And to who said take it back, often it's the last one left. I may have been underestimating too, might be more than half have numbers written on them.

[quote name='leung19']Ok question, should i keep the following game?
SMG2?
RE The umbrella chronicles?
MofH?
Bloodstone?
Mafia2?

thanks[/QUOTE]

I would keep them, they're all fun titles.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Hmm Punchout is $15? Don't remember seeing this one on any list![/QUOTE]
yea its 15 i picked it up in the sale also great price for a great game

[quote name='leung19']Ok question, should i keep the following game?
SMG2?
RE The umbrella chronicles?
MofH?
Bloodstone?
Mafia2?

thanks[/QUOTE]
I would definitely keep SMG2 and Mafia 2. Despite poor reviews, I had way more fun with Mafia 2 than expected and I liked it more than I did LA Noire. The driving was a tad annoying, but the game is still great and SMG2 is just an amazing title.

[quote name='Woot1337']I would definitely keep SMG2 and Mafia 2. Despite poor reviews, I had way more fun with Mafia 2 than expected and I liked it more than I did LA Noire. The driving was a tad annoying, but the game is still great and SMG2 is just an amazing title.[/QUOTE]

Mafia 2 was my GOTY for last year. I loved that game. It had a great story and told it very well...

Guys is it ok to exchange your free game at a different store for another game? Picked up resident evil 5 and got n32 free because it was my only option.

[quote name='kingsnuff']Guys is it ok to exchange your free game at a different store for another game? Picked up resident evil 5 and got n32 free because it was my only option.[/QUOTE]

The guy I asked said he could only swap it out if it was defective. This might just be wrong information though.

[quote name='admiralvic']The guy I asked said he could only swap it out if it was defective. This might just be wrong information though.[/QUOTE]

I just got the same response...oh well I needed a hack n slash title...backlog has way too many shooters

Reading a few pages back, has anyone been able to confirm the B1G1 also working on games above $14.99 for the free game option. I have seen a few reports a few pages back about it. Hawaiiboy, could you look into this? If it works like this I may just make one last visit to BB today

[quote name='paradise2894']Reading a few pages back, has anyone been able to confirm the B1G1 also working on games above $14.99 for the free game option. I have seen a few reports a few pages back about it. Hawaiiboy, could you look into this? If it works like this I may just make one last visit to BB today[/QUOTE]

If your game is over 14.99, you will be able to get a 14.99 or below game free. This is how it was intended and does work.

If you're asking whether the barcode also works on 2x over 14.99 games, that I am not sure about. Rumor has it that is why they moved to barcode format , working on above as well as below. (though likely just because it's a weekend sale)

[quote name='dyeknom']If your game is over 14.99, you will be able to get a 14.99 or below game free. This is how it was intended and does work.

If you're asking whether the barcode also works on 2x over 14.99 games, that I am not sure about. Rumor has it that is why they moved to barcode format , working on above as well as below. (though likely just because it's a weekend sale)[/QUOTE]

I meant the latter. Sorry for the confusing choice of words lol. But I might just go in and give it a try

[quote name='Readthepost']The above methods can remove too much.

*****Please test this on a cheap disk******

Try this:
Get a Dry-Eraser Marker (any color) and write over the marker. Wait 3 seconds and wipe it off......I couldn't believe myself, but it only removes the inks (the first and second layers). Rinse and repeat if the marker is stil there.[/QUOTE]

This works on lcd monitors as well. I became the office hero after using this trick to remove a sharpie mark from a co-worker's screen.

Picked up 6 more games today...couldn't find any $15 games to pair with ODST that I wanted so I settled for N32...what's the deal with this game, it has horrible reviews but I hear it talked about on this thread like it's a rare gem?

Alright, here's my unimpressive haul:

360:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Fallout New Vegas
Afro Samurari
Split/Second
Enslaved
Fight Night Round 4
Super Street Fighter IV
Blur
Project Gotham Racing 4
Alan Wake

PS3:
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Total cost was like $60~, looks like I'm all set for gaming for the summer.

[quote name='Rhl']Alright, here's my unimpressive haul:

360:
Fallout New Vegas
Afro Samurari
Split/Second
Enslaved
Fight Night Round 4
Super Street Fighter IV
Blur
Project Gotham Racing 4
Alan Wake

PS3:
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Total cost was like $60~, looks like I'm all set for gaming for the summer.[/QUOTE]

How is that unimpressive ? You god some good games like enslaved, Allan wake,motorstorm and street fighter along with the others. That's a good haul to me

[quote name='strait edge follower']How is that unimpressive ? You god some good games like enslaved, Allan wake,motorstorm and street fighter along with the others. That's a good haul to me[/QUOTE]

I just expected more. But yeah, definitely got some quality games. And for around the price of one new game too! I wish Blockbuster would stay around forever. I've bought around 60 games from there in the last year. :)

360:
Fallout New Vegas
Afro Samurari
Split/Second
Enslaved
Fight Night Round 4
Super Street Fighter IV
Blur
Project Gotham Racing 4
Alan Wake

PS3:
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Total cost was like $60~, looks like I'm all set for gaming for the summer.[/QUOTE]

You're crazy... that's a great haul. Way better than a lot of ppl have been posting lately in the BOGO hunt.

I have two more stores I'm going to hit up on my way home. Hopefully ill find something good.

360:
Fallout New Vegas
Afro Samurari
Split/Second
Enslaved
Fight Night Round 4
Super Street Fighter IV
Blur
Project Gotham Racing 4
Alan Wake

PS3:
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Better than me lol

• God of War 3
  • ACBH
  • Dead Rising 2
  • Medal of Honor LE
  • Super Street Fighter IV + AE DLC from another cag :3
  • White Knight
  • Gears of War 2 Steelbook
  • Uncharted 2

[quote name='admiralvic']Better than me lol

• God of War 3
  • ACBH
  • Dead Rising 2
  • Medal of Honor LE
  • Super Street Fighter IV + AE DLC from another cag :3
  • White Knight
  • Gears of War 2 Steelbook
  • Uncharted 2
[/QUOTE]

Yours is just as great, gow 3, gears and uncharted 2 alone are great gems. Then you have dead rising 2 which is just a fun and over the top zombie game. I beat it 3 times. As for white knight, be prepared for the ultimate agrivation when your teammates don't follow your orders ( mine just stopped fighting for me period, they only healed me and thats it and I couldn't play it any more ). Medal of honor has a solid ( Albert really short ) campaign

[quote name='strait edge follower']Yours is just as great, gow 3, gears and uncharted 2 alone are great gems. Then you have dead rising 2 which is just a fun and over the top zombie game. I beat it 3 times. As for white knight, be prepared for the ultimate agrivation when your teammates don't follow your orders ( mine just stopped fighting for me period, they only healed me and thats it and I couldn't play it any more ). Medal of honor has a solid ( Albert really short ) campaign[/QUOTE]

Actually I played a lot of them and regot them to play with some friends a little before reselling.

Did not expect for anything to be left but picked up
:ps3:
Dead Rising 2
Super Street Fighter IV
Transformers war of Cybertron
Lego Harry Potter 1-4

Not bad i know games arent the greatest but for 10$ a piece i can live with it.

I should call the further off BBV that I wanna try to hit today to see if they have a copy of Split/Second left for PS3. It's about the only racing title I've been tempted by recently. They had a vanilla LBP there when I hit that store for the 90% clearance, so I might pair up SS with that to be able to get a disc version of LBP versus the Welcome Back version that's on my HDD now.

Went to 2 stores today. One was pretty picked over so didn't get anything (except 5 Blu-Rays). Other was mostly mispriced items, but mostly things I wasn't interested in. But did walk out with SWTFU 2 (PS3) and Kingdom Hearts Recoded.

I finally found an Uncharted 2 at the last BBV I went to for the sale. It was disc-only and heavily scratched. Yeah, that's right, some BBV game renting tool scratched a PS3 game pretty badly.

Oh well... I got a few things from this sale for keepers but it was by no means the best one. In fact, I'd say it was probably the weakest ever.

My keepers:

:ps3: God of War Collection
:ps3: Star Wars Force Unleashed II
:wii: Punch-Out
:wii: Metroid Other M
:ds: Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded

That's it... I know I should be excited to have found GoW Collection (since that was a one-of-a-kind find at just 1 store) but I really thought it was a chore to play through God of War III and don't really feel like playing the others. And I actually already own most of the others but just had them still sealed. So I may try to sell the sealed copies to reduce my overall cost for having those games. The only two "new" ones for me were Punch-Out and KH.

I did a few trades of the ever-present SW FU II (still saw many copies at 2 stores this afternoon - the last day of the sale) to Best Buy so I have some credit there to spend on new games or maybe a new cable modem since mine is getting flaky ;).

Oh yeah, but I did get 10 blu-rays so that was cool. Not as cool as when they were 99 cents, but a good deal nonetheless. At the last store I went to today they had not updated any blu-ray pricing and they still had 3 Toy Story 3 on the rack and a relatively untouched 5 for $20 section to boot. It looks like the blu-ray sale was not a huge hit with the general public.

Oh, and Hawaiiboy, at the 2 stores I went to I'd estimate the first one had about 60-70 games total. This is one of the larger stores in the area and is one that tends to get pre-packs and such. The second, smaller, store (with the scratched Uncharted 2) had about 30-40 games - and that includes all the $39.99 type stuff. They had no signage up advertizing the sale they probably haven't sold too much. And they both still had plenty that qualified for the sale so I doubt they had much more to begin with - certainly not the 426 that your store had after the first wave of sales! So, anyway, that is typically what I have to deal with here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know any good games to flip? Unless I can find AC:B, I don't think I really care what games are there, but if I can flip a few, I might take a look. Problem is, I just not did my first trade in during the Best Buy 30% deal, so I'm not very savvy at it yet.

Well finally got done will all the BBV running around.
Found a good copy of FORZA for 14.99
Found 3 copy of SMG2 and traded 2 copy to GS
Found 1 copy of Tiger Wood 2011 wii but end up traded in GS

Total i guess i bought 22 game and keeping maybe 6 or so, 1 for CAGamer and rest went to GS.

Got my GS credit back to $300 plus. But now what should i do with all those Credit???
Im at least 10 games backloaded, so im not looking to buy new game anytime soon. Beside i have told myself that i will never spend more than $30 per game anymore.....

What is a good way to cash out GS credit? Should i buy a system and sell it??

Last THANKS Hboy for the great info!!!!

[quote name='brauma']Anyone know any good games to flip? Unless I can find AC:B, I don't think I really care what games are there, but if I can flip a few, I might take a look. Problem is, I just not did my first trade in during the Best Buy 30% deal, so I'm not very savvy at it yet.[/QUOTE

If you are trading to amazon then the 360 versions of force unleashed 2 ( 14.00 credit at amazon ) and 007 blood stone ( 13.00 credit at amazon ) are good flips. Best buy gives around the same amount for the games too. They are both 14.99 at bestbuy so you can use either to pair up with assassins creed ( blood stone is a fun game btw )

[quote name='strait edge follower'][quote name='brauma']Anyone know any good games to flip? Unless I can find AC:B, I don't think I really care what games are there, but if I can flip a few, I might take a look. Problem is, I just not did my first trade in during the Best Buy 30% deal, so I'm not very savvy at it yet.[/QUOTE

If you are trading to amazon then the 360 versions of force unleashed 2 ( 14.00 credit at amazon ) and 007 blood stone ( 13.00 credit at amazon ) are good flips. Best buy gives around the same amount for the games too. They are both 14.99 at bestbuy so you can use either to pair up with assassins creed ( blood stone is a fun game btw )[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thank you for the tip.

My haul today:

Blu Rays
Toy Story 3
District B13 U
District 9
G-Force
Scott Pilgrim

Games:
Katamari Forever - 7
Enchanted Arms - Free

I found Enslaved (PS3) at one store but couldn't find anything to pair it with. A manager at another store said there would be a blu ray sale again on Labor Day, and it would be a "long time" for another B1G1 sale. This would be something that hawaiiboy could check out in the future.

Today went to 2 different locations this is what i got

iconxbox360.gif

THE FORCE UNLEASHED 2 - $14.99----------------- TRADING TO
iconbestbuy.gif

THE FORCE UNLEASHED 2 - FREE------------------- TRADING TO
iconbestbuy.gif

THE FORCE UNLEASHED 2 - $14.99----------------- TRADING TO
iconbestbuy.gif

MEDAL OF HONOR - FREE------------------- TRADING TO
iconbestbuy.gif

SUPER STREET FIGHTER 4- $14.99----------------- KEEPING
ENSLAVED - FREE------------------- TRADING TO
iconbestbuy.gif

ASSASSINS CREED BROTH- $19.99----------------- KEEPING
iconwii.gif
007 GOLDEN EYE - FREE------------------- TRADING TO
iconbestbuy.gif

Singularity is a good flip. 9.99 at BBV or $5 with another game. Traded my 2 copies into Best Buy for $11 each or $15 after the 40%.

Here's my haul. I was surprised that there was still a lot of stuff left today. I actually bought most of the Wii games earllier this afternoon. I got the LBP2 plushes for $1.29 each.

bbv1.jpg

bbv2.jpg

My last crusade today to about 4 stores was a giant bust. Not one of them had something that I wanted or didn't have already. I guess in H-Town we have a larger rash of El Hoardos than I thought. Oh well.

Had to run some errands so I went ahead and rechecked some of the nearby BBV's to see if they had any new stock.

Didn't find much but was able to get Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 & HALO:ODST.
Tiger was surprising since it still had an unused online code.

Was hoping to find a copy of LEGO Rockband for the 360 with an unused Export Song flyer in it but no such luck.

Overall I'd say it was a pretty good sale. Got a few games to stack on the shelf for a rainy day....or rainy night like tonight.

[quote name='PimpBot2000']Here's my haul. I was surprised that there was still a lot of stuff left today. I actually bought most of the Wii games earllier this afternoon. I got the LBP2 plushes for $1.29 each.

bbv1.jpg

bbv2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:hot: Awesome haul! I was looking for :ps3: Lego Harry Potter, :wii: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and :ds: Mario 3 on 3 hoops, but I couldn't find them. You still found $1.29 LBP2 plushes?! What magical state do you live in?

Well until next time B1G1. Glad they changed it up a bit. Got some games to keep and some games to flip. Even help my bro out and got him some Amazon credit to get a new PC.

I'm not 110% on this but I wanna say they are gonna go past the date (7/4/2011); I'm gonna head to a BBV in the next couple of hours and will update, it could be a YMMV but I overheard several employees (yesterday) talking about it going on for a couple more days?

[quote name='fishwaterjohn']I'm not 110% on this but I wanna say they are gonna go past the date (7/4/2011); I'm gonna head to a BBV in the next couple of hours and will update, it could be a YMMV but I overheard several employees (yesterday) talking about it going on for a couple more days?[/QUOTE]
I was told yesterday that it the sale ends on the 4th. I hope you are right and it goes a bit longer.

My Haul was okay
DR2(For myself)
SMG2 - x2, but no manual so I guess it going to GS not Amazon
Mafia 2(for myself)
Metal of honor(not sure what I'll do with it)
Lego Harry potter
N32
MegaMind
SWFUII x3(2 to Amazon, 1 for myself)

Well, it was bound to happen...after picking up close to 30 titles (all to keep), I grabbed one I already owned. So hard to keep track what I've traded in to Gamestop or Amazon or Best Buy over the last few months...lol. Oh well.

I don't suppose anyone needs a complete copy of Quantum of Solace 360?

I'm no El Hoardo by any means, but I did make a bit of money off this sale. If you guys have any FYE's around you, they pay cash for games, and some of their values are pretty darn good. This weekend they were buying Metroid: Other M for $12.50, Kingdom Hearts Re:coded for $13, Force Unleashed II (PS3 + 360) for $12.50, and New Vegas (360) for $12, among others.

After tax, you can make $4 or so per game. Not a lot, but if you do it ten games at a time, that's a nice chunk of change for doing basically nothing. The only problem is they only accept one copy of each game, and they have to be in complete and near perfect condition.

[quote name='PimpBot2000']Here's my haul. I was surprised that there was still a lot of stuff left today. I actually bought most of the Wii games earllier this afternoon. I got the LBP2 plushes for $1.29 each.[/QUOTE]

Man, I thought I did good on the games I found but you hit the jackpot. I would have loved to found a copy of Modnation Racers.

[quote name='bajingo']is this over as of yesterday? vyse up top says he went today[/QUOTE]

Well, I was about to remove it from the thread title but I'll hold off till we hear for sure.

bread's done
Back