The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BiggNick']OP says extended until the 11th, unless I'm missing something.[/QUOTE]

Hawaiiboy said it's extended until the 12th. I'm assuming the OP is a typo, maybe?

Got Bad Company 2 & Skate 3 for $10.81, Bad Company 2 was marked 19.99 & Skate 3 was marked 14.99 the girl rang them up and they were both 9.99 so I had her check a couple other games but to no success. They had NBA Jam for 9.99, was tempted but decided against it.

[quote name='Tsel']Hawaiiboy said it's extended until the 12th. I'm assuming the OP is a typo, maybe?[/QUOTE]

I meant Monday. I guess I thought the 11th was Monday.

I went in to my local store tonight to return one of the 99 cent free movies I rented (I got lots of coupons last week ;)) and they were in the process of converting a bunch of rentals for sale. There wasn't much $14.99 and under but I did see Enslaved, NBA Jam Wii, and a few others. It is always worth checking on Mondays to see if your store converted anything - though don't go out of the way to do so as it is never very much stuff on any given week.

[quote name='io']I meant Monday. I guess I thought the 11th was Monday.

I went in to my local store tonight to return one of the 99 cent free movies I rented (I got lots of coupons last week ;)) and they were in the process of converting a bunch of rentals for sale. There wasn't much $14.99 and under but I did see Enslaved, NBA Jam Wii, and a few others. It is always worth checking on Mondays to see if your store converted anything - though don't go out of the way to do so as it is never very much stuff on any given week.[/QUOTE]

Hmm didn't know that about converting stuff. Might make a last minute trip. I used up most of my credit today with a few pick ups to trade in at BB for the 50% bonus. I try to save some for other people, but if they don't want it, I do :)

Picked up Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions for $19.99 and got Enslaved free for my PS3. I've been wanting to play Shattered Dimensions for ages now but the price just hadn't dropped enough for me. I was super glad to see it on sale and picked up Enslaved because I already downloaded ModNation Racers for my PSP. It was also $14.99, though.

[quote name='StealOfADeal']Got Bad Company 2 & Skate 3 for $10.81, Bad Company 2 was marked 19.99 & Skate 3 was marked 14.99 the girl rang them up and they were both 9.99 so I had her check a couple other games but to no success. They had NBA Jam for 9.99, was tempted but decided against it.[/QUOTE]

You're not missing much...that game is not even worth it at $10. The defense cheats and it's just not fun. Glad I sold it to my coworker for $14 though. I didn't want that game. I wouldn't even play it if it was free, lol.

I'm looking for a final fantasy 13 guide still and my local blockbuster doesn't have any. Mine does however have these:

.Mafia 2
.killzone 3
.Wow cataclysm
.crysis 2
.mass effect 2
.little big planet 2
.splinter cell conviction
.fable 3

These are all around 5/6 bucks at my blockbuster and I could buy one and exchange it for a final fantasy 13 guide if you are interested.

[quote name='strait edge follower']I'm looking for a final fantasy 13 guide still and my local blockbuster doesn't have any. Mine does however have these:

.Mafia 2
.killzone 3
.Wow cataclysm
.crysis 2
.mass effect 2
.little big planet 2
.fable 3

These are all around 5/6 bucks at my blockbuster and I could buy one and exchange it for a final fantasy 13 guide if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

Don't we have a thread for guides? You could post this in that thread and see if someone can hook you up.

[quote name='strait edge follower']I'm looking for a final fantasy 13 guide still and my local blockbuster doesn't have any. Mine does however have these:

.Mafia 2
.killzone 3
.Wow cataclysm
.crysis 2
.mass effect 2
.little big planet 2
.fable 3

These are all around 5/6 bucks at my blockbuster and I could buy one and exchange it for a final fantasy 13 guide if you are interested.[/QUOTE]
Use "FILLURSHELVES"
http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/p...&departmentName=BOOK&productVariantId=9311248
$2 more than what you would pay at blockbuster, but thought you might be interested.

I assume no drops are happening for the same reason they probably regret dropping Kirby's Epic Yarn and Epic Mickey (both Epic titles, apparently) into just the right price range.

My local BBVs haven't really had much, and I've been content with a copy of each Epic game, but I think I'm going to try one more location tomorrow and see if I can "negotiate" (aka beg) for some free guides.
At worst I'll get 2 copies of Kirby to flip to Amazon. A shame Epic Mickey's TIV shot up just to plummet.

In regards to the gift card getting you free rentals nonsense, can you just buy a gift card in store, use all but a cent of it (in lieu of cash) and then apply it for this deal? When does this deal start/end? (I know I'm probably being lazy and don't expect a reply until HB is back from his mystical holiday.)

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I bought NBA Jam during the last sale and promptly traded it in to Gamestop for a profit. It's horrible.[/QUOTE]

Did you get tired of getting pushed down to the ground EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION too?

[quote name='Tsel']Did you get tired of getting pushed down to the ground EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION too?[/QUOTE]

Reviewed the game last week as a "Clearance title" and still feel like I might have overrated it at 6/10.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Reviewed the game last week as a "Clearance title" and still feel like I might have overrated it at 6/10.[/QUOTE]

I regret even picking this up as my free title. I was really looking forward to it too. I guess it just doesn't hold up. Good thing it's worth a decent amount of points on Goozex.

Well, I dunno guys, my son and I had a blast with the PS3 version of NBA Jam that I bought upon release (with Kmart coupon promo). I tried the Wii version last week when I picked one up at BBV and it seems identical minus the HD graphics (not a huge thing on this title) and trophies. The Wii version seemed just as fun in terms of gameplay though. If I don't find a use for it, I know my Nephew will like it. I picked him up some old hockey game for the Wii at the last sale (it was $4.99 before B1G1) and he was thrilled with that. Then I got him the NHL Slapshot bundle that Best Buy had for $10 a few months back and he was even more thrilled. I found out today he saved up his money and bought Madden 12 at full retail #-o... Now, my brother-in-law knows I know how to get stuff cheap so that is kind of frustrating. Maybe I can give him this NBA Jam to make up for all the money he blew on Madden.

Probably YMMV but I tried to get an Enslaved guide today but it came up full price, which is why I got the RDR guide. I also found an Infamous 2 guide but the front cover was ripped in half.

[quote name='akalboy']Had no luck in finding a copy of Epic Mickey yet :( And I actually want it to play! LOL![/QUOTE]

Some retailer is selling the CE online for $20 (pre-shipping/pre-tax) if you're superhardcore about getting it at a decent price. But yeah, I've been nice and only bought 1 copy for myself. Best of luck, that's what you gotta hit BBVs fast after price-drops, especially during a sale like this.

In regards to the gift card getting you free rentals nonsense, can you just buy a gift card in store, use all but a cent of it (in lieu of cash) and then apply it for this deal? When does this deal start/end? (I know I'm probably being lazy and don't expect a reply until HB is back from his mystical holiday.)

stores haven't sold or taken gift cards since back in April that's why they are doing this for anyone who didn't get a chance to use the gift card up.

I tried to grab a B1G1 on Friday and the lady told me sale ended last Monday. I told her I heard it was extended until this Monday and she said I heard wrong. Seemed like a total bitch so I didn't even argue, just left.

I stopped at two Blockbusters yesterday I hadn't been to at all during this sale, and was surprised to see a few games at both stores, with a bunch of older titles at one as well. I might stop at a few today, if only to look for some trade in fodder. A complete Skate 3 would be nice, though. I could only find a disc-only copy.

[quote name='david12795']i still havent watched the 5 blu ray movies i bought in june :p[/QUOTE]
:cry::whistle2:#Me too. I ended up dumping 3-4 of them(Lost Boys, etc) to the one reseller at the local flea market rather than watch them collect dust anymore.:razz:

[quote name='mightymek']I tried to grab a B1G1 on Friday and the lady told me sale ended last Monday. I told her I heard it was extended until this Monday and she said I heard wrong. Seemed like a total bitch so I didn't even argue, just left.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten hit with that three different times now at my store. Kirby and Mickey still waiting for me to buy them. :( The Manager went so far as to get the book out and show me the 9/5 end date of the sale.

I'm gonna try one more time today while seeing what's up with the guides.

I might stop by one more BBV today just to see if the sale is still going on. Sad to see it go again, but I did get a lot of good games and trade fodder.

Thanks for everything again, HB!

I may try hitting up at least the two closest BBV stores today to see if I can grab a couple of guides(hopefully for 75% off the prices marked on the 'clearance' stickers;)) and to see if they pulled anything from the rental shelves.

Went and picked up 2 $9.99 games the other day and promptly pulled out $10+change to pay for it. Lady at the counter said the buy one get one free deal was only if you bought 1 game that was $14.99 or higher, I told her I went to 3 other stores that were doing this same sale and none of them had that stipulation. She said "well, they are doing it wrong then". After some discussion she regretfully hang them both up for $9.99 and I went on my way.

Immediately called customer support on that one. Jesus.

Wow so that was complete bullshit. I finally found 2 games worth buying in this sale (1 of them being 20$, the other being 14.99) and the guy wouldn't give it to me. Kept saying they BOTH had to be 15. I told him that very same store had the buy 1 at any price get one free 15 or under deal in the past. Then he said the "computer" wouldn't let him do it. Tried getting him to manually override any BS the computer was telling him but he wouldn't budge.

Did I get played or is this deal seriously not working with any priced games now? Don't understand how he wouldn't be able to just manually make the second game 0.00$ and let me buy the 20$ one. It's more profit for the store. Instead of making 20$ they made 0 off me.

call customer care and tell them that you are POSITIVE that you know how the sale works and that store gave you a hard time and wouldn't honor the deal. Tell them that every other store is running it that way and you wanna contact the dm if they don't honor the deal. Customer care will contact the store and most likely get it straightened out.

It blows my fucking mind how dumb, uninformed, unwilling and rude most of these employees at Blockbuster are... It's KMart all over again.

It seems like every store has a different idea of how the deal works. Luckily, I've been able to stand firm and get "my way" most times, but we shouldn't have to do that. You'd think they'd fire people like this, as there are apparently oodles of people ready to take these jobs.

Anyway, as always, thanks HawaiiBoy for the heads up and helping us through these deals. Always appreciated!

Went to my BBV, girl works there said they're not salvaging the guides. =/ Still ringing up at $5. This is the same girl that said the B1G1 sale is next month. I'll wait til tonight see if they could give me some for free.

Thanks to last couple B1G1 sales I got Battlefield 3 paid off for around $35 :D
I wonder what they would be selling if there is another sale around Thanksgiving. The stores I visited were mostly cleaned out.

Just for balance, I visited about 8 BBV stores over the last two weeks and nearly every employee pointed out (and granted) the correct sale terms when they saw me looking at the games. I don't know if the prices were always updated since the stickers were not always, but anytime I made a purchase, they were the correct price in the system.

I can certainly understand the frustration when one runs into an uninformed employee. I wondered when I would, but never did.

I wanna also post my good experience at a Blockbuster. I went last week for some Epic Mickeys and Epic Yarns. They were still stickered and scanned at $20. I asked the lady if there were price drops. She looked at the computer and found out someone didn't accept it, so she went ahead and did so. The cool part was that she went through each disk and let me choose which ones looked good. I sure hope she's working when I go out there later tonight.

Has anyone seen anything at all about the free rentals/2 months' online service besides this thread? I want to have something to point them towards in case they say it's wrong. I'm looking specifically for the online service because I don't have any BBV around here.

My experience has run the full spectrum, one store I went into was well organized and the clerk who was stocking the games on the shelves told me ahead of the bogo deal and pointed out that only the 2nd game need be $14.99 or under and that he would pair them up if I had several different priced games. The 2nd store I went to, had a really dippy girl who was clueless. She maintained that the games had to be $14.99 or under only. I had an epic Mickey and she said the computed showed them as $19.99. I told her that there had been a price update that Monday and could she check to see if the price update had been accepted - she had that deer in the headlights look and I knew there would be no help from her. However her assistant manager was there and while she did not seem to know how to accept the price changes, she said don't worry and she did an override to get the game to its current $14.99 pricing. Unfortunately one of the games I had brought up, they could not find the disc and it turned out that they apparently had sold the game without the box and left the box on the shelves so I had to scrambel to try to find something to pair with Epic Mickey.

Most of my experiences were positive as well. The stores around here have survived all the closings and I think that the employees being helpful and knowledgeable is a big part of that. Games are almost always priced correctly, sales start and end when they are supposed to, they pair games based on their price without even being asked to do so, etc.

Ended up picking up a few more games for trade fodder now that Best Buy is giving a crazy 60% bonus. Was surprised how much I found today, clearly there were some conversions last night.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Most of my experiences were positive as well. The stores around here have survived all the closings and I think that the employees being helpful and knowledgeable is a big part of that. Games are almost always priced correctly, sales start and end when they are supposed to, they pair games based on their price without even being asked to do so, etc.

Ended up picking up a few more games for trade fodder now that Best Buy is giving a crazy 60% bonus. Was surprised how much I found today, clearly there were some conversions last night.[/QUOTE]

Mind sharing what you flipped, finding decent flips was hard late last week.

It's funny how the service varies so much from store to store. We had two stores that were just up the road from one another. One provides excellent service while the other, which just closed, had clueless employees who were of no help (actually, they were less than that, considering they didn't know their own companie's polices and such.) I'm happy that the best store is the one that stayed in business.

I only have one BBV within 100 miles of me, but the employees there are super helpful and super nice. There's one guy who I want to say is mentally challenged or at least handicapped in some way. I'm not trying to be mean, but he talks and acts different. Anyway, he's actually the most helpful and the kindest guy there. He always runs me through the current deals and lets me know all the details.

I went today with hopes of finding some new games, but it didn't look like my store got any. Most of the transfers were movies, it seems.

I didn't understand it either because the guy that usually works at this store I frequent is always on top of his shit and knows the exact prices of the games and the terms of the sale. This time however it was some guy I'd never seen before. Only one in the store too. You'd think they could afford to pay more than one employee to run the store at a time.

Dude was completely clueless and used the "computer won't let me" excuse. Wtf is this, the Terminator? If the computer won't let you, then you MAKE that fu**ing computer do what you want it to do. Manual override would've been easy. I've worked in customer service in the past for 2 years and whenever there's a glitch in the system you can always put your own input into the thing.

Maybe it was just my bad luck that I happened to find an employee in training or something. When's the next BOGO? It's not like they ever update their used game selection anyway, I'll probably end up getting them next time. It still bugs me though that he wouldn't accept my offer. Wouldn't he want the store to make 20$ instead of 15$? I'm getting the free game regardless of whether I buy a 15$ game or a 60$ game. Why not take the extra cash? Common sense doesn't make sense to some people I guess.

I have to admit my blockbuster employees have been great as well. Pointed me to an endcap that I didnt see that had additional used games.

Edit:woohoo I can finally post

Last edited by a moderator:
A big interwebz hug for hawaiiboy again. Thanks for all the inside info.

For the record, I've got great employees at my BBV though I forgot to test just how great. Completely forgot ask them about tossing the guides out.

had a few problem at my blockbuster but nothing much to break a deal, the closest one to me wouldn't budge on both games had to be 14.99 or less, but fuck it I was there to buy up there product and flip it since i was a bit peeved at them, the 2nd block buster i went to closest to my campus had their computers shutdown on Monday so most of their prices weren't update, went back there again and the prices in the computer weren't updated but the stickers were (weird) but at least they knew the policy better and allowed me to take home Dead Space 2 and Kirby, two games I actually wanted to try out and something my cousin really wants but damn how can you be so misinformed about your own sale? maybe the corporate e-mails should be typed using small words and constant reiteration to prevent fuck ups, still at least one of the employees at the first blockbuster seemed nice, the other seemed jived that I kept making trips to walk away with a mountain of games

Had a good last 5 days. Flipped Hunted for $19 from @Gamer coupons. Turned the BBV credit + 30 cents into 2 Splatterhouses plus 2 boxes of Hot Tamales/cherry coke/popcorn ($3).

Picked up 2 PS Move Heroes from GS ($10.80 in credit eacj)

Going back to BB to flip them into an expected $81 in BB credit using GoW3 preorder bonus ($12+12+15+15 x 1.5 = $81).

Last week, flipped CoE ($10 BB mistake) to BBV for $22 plus some change and got 2 KEY plus DAII guide. Flipped KEYs to BB using 40% any preorder for $30 something before they dropped.

Before then, got rejected 3 times as they didn't accept the price drops on Monday. Kept at it and ended up doing well. Now have to figure out what to do with all of the BB credit.

bread's done
Back