The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
found five games i wanted, but the damn manager said she did not know of any sale. has anybody else heard of this or been denied. this was in north carolina

Total fyi if people are getting shot down (like myself)with KA, it flips for 2 before bonuses at bby. Profit central.. :) Did get to a location that had quite a nice selection. At bby now, will report back.

Edit: 10 games traded in for 150 at bby after bonuses. Nice, plus got the blus I was looking for. Great sale per usual. Thanks HB for all you do here. Keep it up. :)

Hey guys dunno if this will help any but heres the "part number " listed on the copy of my store trade quote (my cashier printed this before I actually signed the paperwork for the trade in.) When searching for the game she repeated the number over and over to remember it as she was using 2 registers:

KA - 314164

Dunno if this is a nationwide code or anything but hopefully it'll help out those getting denied? HB feel free to chime in.

Just find out if they are a franchise or corporate store..you can even ask them. If it's corporate, don't even worry about what they say; just present the games you want (as long as they qualify for the promotion), then all of the discounts will be automatically deducted by the computer upon totaling out. Basically, never listen to any Blockbuster employee besides HawaiiBoy.

I've run into some interesting stuff. 4 BBVs: One wouldn't take KA at all, even with the barcode; one took a single copy and gave me a giftcard for it (The nice cashier even verified I was willing to take $15 since it was such a small amount); one didn't have anything in stock; and one told me that they no longer did trade ins after the company declared bankruptcy whenever ago. That last BBV was one I had hit up yesterday, when they took my trade in no problem.

Still got 2 KA left, not sure if I'll be able to get rid of them. It's going to be interesting waiting in line at Gamestop to get my $1.80 back for a game I peeled the stickers off of.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']I've run into some interesting stuff. 4 BBVs: One wouldn't take KA at all, even with the barcode; one took a single copy and gave me a giftcard for it (The nice cashier even verified I was willing to take $15 since it was such a small amount); one didn't have anything in stock; and one told me that they no longer did trade ins after the company declared bankruptcy whenever ago. That last BBV was one I had hit up yesterday, when they took my trade in no problem.

Still got 2 KA left, not sure if I'll be able to get rid of them. It's going to be interesting waiting in line at Gamestop to get my $1.80 back for a game I peeled the stickers off of.[/QUOTE]

The TIV at BBY is 2 bucks. I just plan to get rid of my last copy when I also trade in a few other games.

So it was confirmed that the 3 for $20 / 5 for $30 will continue after today by HB? Just want to make sure, is there any drops coming this week?

Used a buy 2 get 1 used game coupon at GS, picked up 3 KA.

1st bbv wasn't doing game trades anymore. I then called a 2nd and they weren't either. Feeling like I was just going to eat the 3 bucks I called a third who said they still did.

Raced over there and traded them in no problem. $3.xx turned into 45$. Took a gift card to use on a future deal or on the updated stock this week. What a steal!

HB any price drops this week? You usually hear about them Saturdays but I haven't been keeping up with this thread lately as it ballooned after the sale. Thanks.

... I'm confused and don't want to ask in the BBY thread for fear of getting lynched, but did they ever get around to removing the "Buy Kindle gift cards with BBY credit" thing? The OP over there says they have not but that was ages ago and people in the thread are violently sarcastic about it and I don't know what to think.

[quote name='mark_IV']717565888225 is what I used for my trade.[/QUOTE]

I didn't need it; but thank you anyway, Mark!

Ended up getting four KAs to trade at BBV. Several questions asked, and a bit raised suspicion, but they accepted them. I did two at one store and two at the other.

So, turned the $8 -> $60 BBV -> $151 at BBY.

Not bad at all! That's on top of my $80 -> $215 flip on Friday.

And I still have two KAs... Not sure of I wanna press my luck.

In any case, thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed to this thread, and especially you HB - we all appreciate your constant help and updates.

Good luck to all!

[quote name='kingsnuff']Hey guys dunno if this will help any but heres the "part number " listed on the copy of my store trade quote (my cashier printed this before I actually signed the paperwork for the trade in.) When searching for the game she repeated the number over and over to remember it as she was using 2 registers:

KA - 314164
Brink - 296637

Dunno if this is a nationwide code or anything but hopefully it'll help out those getting denied? HB feel free to chime in.[/QUOTE]
You got it dude. All they need for KA is 314164. Traded in 5 more today and going back after the game to get rid of as many of the rest as possible. Not sure why my closest GS had over 40 complete copies of KA. What ever doesn't go will go back to GS within 7 days.

[quote name='Althax']Used a buy 2 get 1 used game coupon at GS, picked up 3 KA.

1st bbv wasn't doing game trades anymore. I then called a 2nd and they weren't either. Feeling like I was just going to eat the 3 bucks I called a third who said they still did.

Raced over there and traded them in no problem. $3.xx turned into 45$. Took a gift card to use on a future deal or on the updated stock this week. What a steal![/QUOTE]

You used a B2G1 coupon to save $2...? :whistle2:#

[quote name='mattcube64']I didn't need it; but thank you anyway, Mark!

Ended up getting four KAs to trade at BBV. Several questions asked, and a bit raised suspicion, but they accepted them. I did two at one store and two at the other.

So, turned the $8 -> $60 BBV -> $151 at BBY.

Not bad at all! That's on top of my $80 -> $215 flip on Friday.

And I still have two KAs... Not sure of I wanna press my luck.

In any case, thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed to this thread, and especially you HB - we all appreciate your constant help and updates.

Good luck to all![/QUOTE]

I didn't understand the $60 -> $151, could you explain that to me?

[quote name='Blabadon']I didn't understand the $60 -> $151, could you explain that to me?[/QUOTE]
I believe he bought 10 games at BBV and traded them in to BBY.

[quote name='Tsel']You used a B2G1 coupon to save $2...? :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

lol i almost did the same thing yesterday. luckily my cashier pointed it out....i felt like an idiot. lol

So.. how long do you guys think the KA TIV will hold? I'm thinking about doing it and getting a little credit at Best Buy for a purchase I plan on making this week.

[quote name='Tsel']You used a B2G1 coupon to save $2...? :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know, I just wanted to minimize my risk in this venture since so many people had problems. Plus it expires on the 30th and I have no intention of buying anything before then. If I change my mind the whole store has that deal on black friday through the weekend.

KA - 314164

Dunno if this is a nationwide code or anything but hopefully it'll help out those getting denied? HB feel free to chime in.

Yes, that is the part # that they will type in there is more to it but they will need that number.

And for those who missed it there are NO price drops this week. We did have a fairly big game transfer from rental to used so you may see more titles as early as today if a store had time to do them.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Yes, that is the part # that they will type in there is more to it but they will need that number.

And for those who missed it there are NO price drops this week. We did have a fairly big game transfer from rental to used so you may see more titles as early as today if a store had time to do them.[/QUOTE]

Did yours have a bake a sale? I heard of 2 that were doing bake sales and bouncy castles.

Happy to report that my first-ever flip was a successful one. I went to BBV this morning and traded in a copy of Kinect Adventures for $15 credit, then used that credit to get Epic Mickey, Just Dance: Summer Party, and Goldeneye all for the Wii. $5 out of pocket then became $48 in credit at Gamestop. Not as great as other flips reported here but it's all I really need to get me through BF.

[quote name='Althax']Yeah I know, I just wanted to minimize my risk in this venture since so many people had problems. Plus it expires on the 30th and I have no intention of buying anything before then. If I change my mind the whole store has that deal on black friday through the weekend.[/QUOTE]

you realize you can return used games within a week for full value at gamestop? There's no "risk".

Did yours have a bake a sale? I heard of 2 that were doing bake sales and bouncy castles.

No bake sale. We had a food drive, face painting for kids, Harry potter movie night with pizza and some other food and the COD3 tourney which about 20 peeps showed up and a 10 yr old was in the final but lost.

I actually have some good news today. Yesterday I was annoyed about my local stores not accepting trade-ins and giving me false excuses. So instead today I went to another store a little out of the way and they took the trades without any problem. In fact when I brought in Kinect Adventures the guy immediately said "I know that gets $15" so it looks like someone else hit them up too!

[quote name='hawaiiboy']No bake sale. We had a food drive, face painting for kids, Harry potter movie night with pizza and some other food and the COD3 tourney which about 20 peeps showed up and a 10 yr old was in the final but lost.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Had I not felt like crap I might have brought my son to this yesterday (he's 11). But when I was there Friday their signup sheet was pretty clear that players had to be 13 and up.

I'm still not getting over this food poisoning, though I feel a little better. At least I'm able to sit at the computer now :roll:. I am missing so much crap too - would have gotten KA and hit up a few BBv today. Plus I wanted to get a few things at BBY, Target, and TRU with their sales that started today. Oh yeah, and I have games to trade at BBY. Damnit!

[quote name='JaylisJayP']you realize you can return used games within a week for full value at gamestop? There's no "risk".[/QUOTE]

Didn't know that. I'm new to the flipping scene. I really dont mind losing that coupon as it would have gone to waste anyway.

My only regret is that my bbv have crap for game selection. Otherwise id be out turning that 45 to more at blockbuster.

Many thanks to hawaiiboy, io, and everybody else who gave information on this deal. I was able to trade-in 4 copies of Kinect Adventures at one Blockbuster. I only gave two copies at first because I wasn't trying to push it, but the clerk reached for the other two I had and I wasn't about to stop him. Had to sign up for a Blockbuster account and had to give the number (314164), but the whole process was quick and painless. Unfortunately, the pickings were slim right now for used games, so I'll come back some time later to check out the hopefully beefed up selection.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']curious what games you got at BlockBuster to trade in at Best Buy. There must be a better flip then Dragon Age 2.[/QUOTE]
You'd be amazed at the amount of good information you can find if you learn to cross check qualifying game lists(like the one Hawaiiboy posted just before the sale started;)) versus the BB trade-in estimator(http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm?kw=&pf=all ) for yourself. :D

As for the issue with Kinect Adventures not being taken in because it's missing the UPC, I don't know why that's even an issue since BBV always puts their own UPC sticker on the back of the case ANYWAY.

Hmmm... Had I not felt like crap I might have brought my son to this yesterday (he's 11). But when I was there Friday their signup sheet was pretty clear that players had to be 13 and up.
parents had to sign a permission form for anyone under 18.

Allright I think I'm finally done, On Frid and Sat. bought 16 games total for 105 OOP, submitted an amazon trade in for 8 games and got 107 in Credit, net = 8 games and 2 dollars for free

Than after hearing about bonus credit at BBY , I went back to two of the BBV todays and they still had plenty of quality titles especially the Wii TIV biggies, so bought 10 games total for 64, and went to BBY down the road and traded in 9 for total of 128 GC. so after all said in done

26 games for 170,

Amazon Credit of 107, BBY credit of 128, 9 games for myself.

Not a bad weekend at all, Thanks HB and others for all the updates

I called my local BBV and they say they require case + cover art. All I have is the disc. Is it possible to just print out a cover art and use it?

I did one more trip south toda (after I said I wasn't going to) because I had a better list of flips... Ended up dropping 4 more KA total (2 at each store) and turned it into a $112.50 BB GC. I would've considered picking up a few more KA, but I cleaned those stores out of everything that was worth a crap.

Crazy - total $57 turned into $382.21 in BB GC, 1 yr unlocked and 3 BR PV movies... Man, I missed weekends like this ;)

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I did one more trip south toda (after I said I wasn't going to) because I had a better list of flips... Ended up dropping 4 more KA total (2 at each store) and turned it into a $112.50 BB GC. I would've considered picking up a few more KA, but I cleaned those stores out of everything that was worth a crap.

Crazy - total $57 turned into $382.21 in BB GC, 1 yr unlocked and 3 BR PV movies... Man, I missed weekends like this ;)[/QUOTE]

Damn son! Nice score!

I think I'm all done. It's 6pm, and I'm all but certain KA will be nuked by tomorrow morning. I did six KAs at three different Blockbusters when all was said and done. I probably could have traded in more than just two per store, as nobody really seemed to care - but I just can't tell if that's because of the fact it was only two. I do try to stay on the good side of all employees, and just didn't wanna push my luck. But 10x value flips are like poison... you keep telling yourself enough, but you can't help but get greedy and think "well what if I do it one more, two more, or ten more times" lol.

So, final tally:

$107 invested ($97 on games and $10 of gas) + about four hours of my time.

Total: $410 in Best Buy Credit + Three $5 pre-order deposits.

Again, thank you to EVERYONE in this forum, especially HB and io. I hope all of those that PM'd me were able to take advantage of some flips. And lets hope we can maybe find some good stuff in the coming weeks.

Had I known about Kinect Adventures SOONER, I wouldn't have spent about $150 in real cash(even after my $19 credit from Hunted: Demons Forge was factored in). But too late to think about that now. Now I just have to hope that some of ya's doing 10+ copies of KA don't ruin that flip to BBV before I can wrangle my one buddy into going into GS for me to grab some copies so I can go clean up for some stuff to play(and more to flip) tomorrow at the local BBV stores.

Had I known about Kinect Adventures SOONER, I wouldn't have spent about $150 in real cash(even after my $19 credit from Hunted: Demons Forge was factored in). But too late to think about that now. Now I just have to hope that some of ya's doing 10+ copies of KA don't ruin that flip to BBV before I can wrangle my one buddy into going into GS for me to grab some copies so I can go clean up for some stuff to play(and more to flip) tomorrow at the local BBV stores.

we'll see how long this can last. i'll be looking out for an email tomorrow that says to stop taking this game as you would think getting hundreds of trades would raise some kind of red flag.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']we'll see how long this can last. i'll be looking out for an email tomorrow that says to stop taking this game as you would think getting hundreds of trades would raise some kind of red flag.[/QUOTE]
I just wish my local area didn't go from 11 BBV stores down to 4 of them.:cry: Two of them are closer to each other, but the other two are at least 5-10 miles or more further out than those first two and in opposite directions.:whistle2:# Otherwise I woulda spread out the KA trades to all of those, doing one at each. As it stands they may only take one at each remaining store.:whistle2:#

Aw, fuck. The one weekend I neglect to check this thread, everyone discovers an awesome flip. :p I'll try to wake up extra early tomorrow and report back on whether or not it still works if I can.

[quote name='Bug42']It is for the rest of the year[/QUOTE]

That's true, but I'm really talking about if BBuster becomes smart about this.

Anyone else expecting the best buy tiv to tank on most of the games sold in this sale tomorrow? I am tempted to hit another bbv tomorrow since I seem to be the only cag in town.

[quote name='Althax']Anyone else expecting the best buy tiv to tank on most of the games sold in this sale tomorrow? I am tempted to hit another bbv tomorrow since I seem to be the only cag in town.[/QUOTE]

doubt it as most of the TIV's tanked the day before the sale. Most of the recently dropped games were 10+ usd and now are at 6 lol

forgive me if this has been asked/answered. if I add the items to my cart tonight, and then log in at noon tomorrow, will the price be reflected. or do I have to go through a specific link best buy provides in an e-mail?

they upgraded me to silver even though I only spent around 300 in the store last year.

***sorry clearly posted in wrong thread. I remoted in to work from home and after 12 hours my eyes are playing tricks on me. please delete.

bread's done
Back