The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nietzsche74']This may sound a little bit silly, but can you mix $14.99 games and movies in the current sale?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Inside GS now (waiting in line) w/ two "KA" in hand; BBV is about 1/4 mile away...haven't been in GS in 6 months and am overhearing words like "awesomeness" (from employees) and am reminded of why this store tuniversally) absolutely SUCKS!

Update: The BBV trade-in for "KA" hit (@ $15)....thanks to whomever posted that, by the way (re: $1.99 for $15 TIV/each).....picked up on the 5 for $30:

X 2- Dead Space 2 :360:
Legendary :360:
Dead Rising 2 :ps3:
Cars 2 :ds:

Fantastic finds and thanks again!

[quote name='Toss']"to get to the other side"[/QUOTE]

lol, I don't know why I found that so funny!

Off to try two more sets of two on the KA... we'll see. Thanks for the update, HB!

I'm sure it's going to be the same employees; so I think I'm just gonna say "I came across some more" if they ask about it...

Ok, So I went to another BlockBuster. The Manager looked up the KA's in the system & I got $30.00 credit. The 360 games were mostly crap. So the Manager told me I can pick out some of the rentals, but he would have to charge me $2.00 for the rental, then sell me the game.....

Whatever. Got: Dead Space 2, SWFU 2 & NFS: Shift 2 for $26.00

May try to go back & get FF XIII & Dead Rising 2. Problem was, they were rented out! LOL

[quote name='donut']It was on the frickin front page!
why the hell would you think that would help any member of CAG?
hope you got your magic "reps" :roll: from strangers for your idiocy.
and If the members here who posted and researched the titles you posted wanted them posted there (as you sure as hell didn't figure them out, they would have done it themselves.[/QUOTE]

your a friggin idiot dude, please enlighten me to where it was ever a FP deal, it was 3 pages long for goodness sakes, It's the holdiday season and the internet, I believe in anybody that wants to get in on these deals should have the oppourtunity and information to do so, pardon me for trying to be a good samaritan. asshole

[quote name='xpolock']The store I went to today told me they wouldnt take KA because "It's hard to sell something that you get for free with the system" :/[/QUOTE]

That's where having a (albeit very friendly) clueless Female doing my trade-in came in handy. There wasn't (or I guess, isn't) a barcode for this title; I read in an earlier post what to say when faced with this dilemma (thanks, by the way). She said, "Oh! Wow! These trade in for $15, so you'll get $32.56."
It felt very good.

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']so it sounds like this sale is still going on?

i thought sunday was the last day, or is it today?[/QUOTE]

the sale is supposedly going on til the end of the year.the .50 rentals ended yesterday

Picked up a second set of kA's from GS today bringing my total to 8 all together. First BBV i went to the Manager was trying to train a new associate on how to do the trade ins, they kept referring to why the games had no barcodes which at that point i thought i would get denied but after doing a search through the system they were able to locate the info in the games and gave me the credit. Second store went smooth a butter. I only traded in 2 copies of KA at each BBV didnt want to risk it. Slim pickings at the 4 BBV's i made stops at. Wish i would have gotten in on this Fri when the good games where still around.

I was able to muster up all told 20 games 19 to BBY and 1 to keep
total damage: 8 KA's form GS $24.04 oop turned into $241.15 BBY credit
and one game kept. Not bad for a couple days work and few hours of time.

Thanks to HB and the rest of the contributors of this post.

[quote name='cardsharkrob']the 2 copies max trade in, is that total or per day?[/QUOTE]

per day. And you may be able to do more then 2 at a time. Ymmv on that though

hey HB OR SOMEONE THAT KNOW

they keep telling me over the phone they need barcodes i have traded in games to them without a box they just looked up the barcode

what is the reason for the change

I went to one of my local BBVs and the clerk would not take KA because it did not have a barcode. He said he legally could not take it because it may have been bundled free with another purchase from another store. I just proclaimed stupidity and said, "That's good to know." I will try a different store later.

It was a no-go at my local BBV in terms of new games transferred from rentals. Shame since I was hoping to get some more games.

I got 2 KAs at my local GS and a copy of Sega Tennis (2 disc) since it was also 2$. What's the TIV for that at BBV? I figured this way it wouldn't seem suspicious if I tried to trade in just the 2 KAs since I actually do shop at this place a lot and the people know me by now.

Hey all,

Just got back from trying to do two KAs; the lady has always been helpful and cool, but said she "got an email scolding the stores for taking so many of the game."

Don't know how true this is, but I left empty handed and I'd recommend getting out there quick!

Good luck!

[quote name='mattcube64']Hey all,

Just got back from trying to do two KAs; the lady has always been helpful and cool, but said she "got an email scolding the stores for taking so many of the game."

Don't know how true this is, but I left empty handed and I'd recommend getting out there quick!

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Well my local never had this email. So idk.

I'm hoping the email was just a management thing and not corporate. I'm in possession of 2 KAs and I can't get to my nearest BBV until after classes tomorrow since it's on my way back from school. I stopped in today to ask about trade ins and was told they were ok with them for store credit and to bring in whatever I had. As long as the TIV holds one more day I'll be a happy camper.

I just traded in 2 more KA. At another store the woman wouldnt take it. Said the dark ring around the outside of it was known as the "ring of death" & that it wouldnt work.

?? Never heard if it. Stupid!

checked the other two stores in my neck of the woods and they were more or less picked clean. did find a couple things at each store but couldn't get up to 3. ah well, good sale.

No barcode = no soup for me! Dang soupnazi wanna Bs! :( I asked why would it have a trade in value if I can't trade it in and they basically called corporate a bunch of fools cuz this game is in the system but not trade-able cuz no scanable code...

I actually went back in and had it all set with a really nice worker until "Aughra" came waddling over hollerin the manager said no yesterday...

Question: The GS copy of the game has a barcode sticker they put on it. Would that work if BBV scanned it? Or should I just take that thing off?

[quote name='Althax']I just traded in 2 more KA. At another store the woman wouldnt take it. Said the dark ring around the outside of it was known as the "ring of death" & that it wouldnt work.

?? Never heard if it. Stupid![/QUOTE]

I had a disc like that too and they didn't take it. They told me it looked burned. Meh still traded 5 within 2 days.

[quote name='IronZombie']Question: The GS copy of the game has a barcode sticker they put on it. Would that work if BBV scanned it? Or should I just take that thing off?[/QUOTE]

that won't work. And ill state once again the actual barcode on these does nothing. They always have to manually enter Kinect Adventures, barcode or not.

[quote name='IronZombie']Question: The GS copy of the game has a barcode sticker they put on it. Would that work if BBV scanned it? Or should I just take that thing off?[/QUOTE]

When I traded my 2 in on Saturday I left the GS stickers on there because mine didn't have barcodes. She tried scanning them but it wouldn't work and instead manually looked it up. So the GS sticker bar codes DONT work.

it wont work. An employee tried scanning it yesterday but nothing came up and they ended up sliding the cover art out of the case to find no barcode.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I had a disc like that too and they didn't take it. They told me it looked burned. Meh still traded 5 within 2 days.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm just going to come back later tonight or tomorrow and hopefuly get someone with half a clue.

Hey all,

Good luck!

Must be a district type thing since I definitely have not seen said memo.

I have a bit of a funny story involving my BBV shenanigans today. I went to Gamestop this morning, and bought 9 Kinect Adventures. I really didn't expect BBV to take them all, but if they didn't I planned on returning them to Gamestop. So I park in a parking lot a bit of a ways from Gamestop taking all the stickers off, and pull into Blockbuster not ten minutes after I left Gamestop. I get in line, wait a bit, and lay my nine copies of Kinect Adventures on the counter for my turn at the register.

Laying behind the counter from the previous transaction is a copy of Kinect Adventures, with the Part # and everything written on a post-it note. I couldn't believe it. So I turn to the guy and ask him what website he found out about it from- and it turns out he's a CAG! :D He apparently only bought one copy to trade in because the guy working at Gamestop told him "his friend came in a few minutes ago and bought nine." Lol.

So we talked for a bit about game deals and stuff, and he seemed like a really cool guy. He got first dibs on the game selection for obvious reasons, and after all but one of my Kinect Adventures was taken for trade-in (his copy and my copy from the previous day made 2, plus 8 put the store at the max) I got my shot at them. I admitted to being El Hoardo to the guy as I made my selection, but made sure if there was more than one copy of any one game that I left at least one for somebody else. After that, I took the 20 games I got at Blockbuster to Gamestop, sold 17 of them, and got $150 in Gamestop credit. On top of that, I managed to find a *used copy of Skyward Sword* on the shelf, and took it up to buy it. It came with the CD and everything! :O I'll be return/rebuying it on Black Friday for the B2G1. I can't wait. :3

All in all, I had a VERY good and VERY successful day today. I just wish I'd had time to grab lunch with the other CAG, but by the time I got out of Blockbuster I had less than ten minutes to get to class... :[ Sad face.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Must be a district type thing since I definitely have not seen said memo.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... Well I apologize for scaring anyone. I'm in BS, MO area.... Just FYI.

Thanks for the update, HB. Shame... I'd have loved to take advantage of some more trades. Eh, any complain too much.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']I have a bit of a funny story involving my BBV shenanigans today. I went to Gamestop this morning, and bought 9 Kinect Adventures. I really didn't expect BBV to take them all, but if they didn't I planned on returning them to Gamestop. So I park in a parking lot a bit of a ways from Gamestop taking all the stickers off, and pull into Blockbuster not ten minutes after I left Gamestop. I get in line, wait a bit, and lay my nine copies of Kinect Adventures on the counter for my turn at the register.

Laying behind the counter from the previous transaction is a copy of Kinect Adventures, with the Part # and everything written on a post-it note. I couldn't believe it. So I turn to the guy and ask him what website he found out about it from- and it turns out he's a CAG! :D He apparently only bought one copy to trade in because the guy working at Gamestop told him "his friend came in a few minutes ago and bought nine." Lol.

So we talked for a bit about game deals and stuff, and he seemed like a really cool guy. He got first dibs on the game selection for obvious reasons, and after all but one of my Kinect Adventures was taken for trade-in (his copy and my copy from the previous day made 2, plus 8 put the store at the max) I got my shot at them. I admitted to being El Hoardo to the guy as I made my selection, but made sure if there was more than one copy of any one game that I left at least one for somebody else. After that, I took the 20 games I got at Blockbuster to Gamestop, sold 17 of them, and got $150 in Gamestop credit. On top of that, I managed to find a *used copy of Skyward Sword* on the shelf, and took it up to buy it. It came with the CD and everything! :O I'll be return/rebuying it on Black Friday for the B2G1. I can't wait. :3

All in all, I had a VERY good and VERY successful day today. I just wish I'd had time to grab lunch with the other CAG, but by the time I got out of Blockbuster I had less than ten minutes to get to class... :[ Sad face.[/QUOTE]

probably could have got almost double that at Best Buy. But I understand if you wanted gamestop credit

my blockbuster refused my trade-in today because "your games TIV are too high, and we already have those games." =) It was good while it lasted.

[quote name='kouleefoh']my blockbuster refused my trade-in today because "your games TIV are too high, and we already have those games." =) It was good while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

If it isn't official, try a different store.

[quote name='kouleefoh']my blockbuster refused my trade-in today because "your games TIV are too high, and we already have those games." =) It was good while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

At least you got some in. My bbv said they don't do trade ins and haven't done them for 2 years ! It isn't fair :(

Um.. it's the store's trade in value not YOURS. Must either be an incompetent employee or a franchised store that doesn't play by the corporate rules. Try a different store.

I'm actually thinking of going by there tonight to unload my copies of KA. I don't know if it's worth the trip.. I'm getting kind of nervous at the thought of waiting until tomorrow though. It's a miracle this thing hasn't been haulted yet I don't wanna get stuck with these games I don't need.

By the way guys, what are some good high-value games to get for Best Buy credit with the 5 for 30 deal? I didn't spot much.. but there was a copy of SvR 2011 for PS3. Other than that I might have to get some Wii games. Any good ones?

Since no one answered my question had to find out myself. Traded in:
KA (no barcode) - $15
DNF - $17
COJ the cartel (this is what I asked about) $22 ($12 markup for those who bought from GF like me)

bought the following to flip:
:ps3: megamind ultimate showdown
:ps3: dragon age 2
:360:
Dragon age 2
Two worlds 2

To keep:
Fallout New Vegas

[quote name='IronZombie']By the way guys, what are some good high-value games to get for Best Buy credit with the 5 for 30 deal? I didn't spot much.. but there was a copy of SvR 2011 for PS3. Other than that I might have to get some Wii games. Any good ones?[/QUOTE]

Why not check out Best Buys trade-in page for yourself and make a list?

[quote name='twinton']Why not check out Best Buys trade-in page for yourself and make a list?[/QUOTE]

I was simply asking for a few quick ones people have been using.. ;) I'm not asking for anyone to go out of their way for me, just share what they've traded in.

I see someone used Megamind. Saw a copy of that, but it was marked 20$. Guess it was an error. I'll check next time I'm there.

Guys, if I ran a BBV and knew anything about this game, I'd refuse to take it as well because the TiV is "too high". I mean, there's no arguing about that, right? :lol:

Always take stickers off of games when flipping - that's like rule 1 of Flip Club. Are you kidding!?

And no, that code wouldn't help anyway since that is just GS's internal SKU for a used copy of KA - has no meaning at BBV.

I can't believe this is still going on. From what I saw yesterday (no copies of KA on the shelves) it isn't happening around me, so I suppose I could do more if I wanted. If it is still active in a few days maybe I will - too busy now anyway.

[quote name='io']Always take stickers off of games when flipping - that's like rule 1 of Flip Club. Are you kidding!?

And no, that code wouldn't help anyway since that is just GS's internal SKU for a used copy of KA - has no meaning at BBV.

I can't believe this is still going on. From what I saw yesterday (no copies of KA on the shelves) it isn't happening around me, so I suppose I could do more if I wanted. If it is still active in a few days maybe I will - too busy now anyway.[/QUOTE]

LOL! I know that dude but this barcode didn't have any GS logos or anything on it. It was simply just a barcode. Was just asking.. I'll peel it off though.

bread's done
Back