The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried Brink.....ringing up $39.99 here

ask them to "accept" the price change in the computer. takes about 5 sec and any manager can do it. its just a matter of if they know how to do it.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Glad i got in on the deal when i did, local stores got demolished in the past week. EVERY single copy of Dragon Age 2 was gone too

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I would have found out about the DA2 TIV. I still don't know. But just wanted to say thanks to HB. Picked up Brink today, among others. I think I'm about at 20 games this sale, all to play.

Sad, my bbv stores still have a lot in stock, I just can't spend any more on this. I have spent way more than I ever planned on games since october.

Got Fable III, BulletStorm and Brink for $20.
Manager said Brink was priced wrong and after selling it to me pulled the rest of the copies off the shelf.

[quote name='zlatour']
Manager said Brink was priced wrong and after selling it to me pulled the rest of the copies off the shelf.[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause: Don't ya just love when the managers think YOU'RE the one that's in the wrong, when in fact it's them that didn't do the price changes.

Although Dish making it so they have to accept the price changes before they'll go through now is what's likely causing this level of YMMV on some games in this sale.:cry:

Trade in values are holding for (PS3) Hunted: Demon's Forge and (360) Red Faction: Armageddon, just got $19 each for them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol::applause: Don't ya just love when the managers think YOU'RE the one that's in the wrong, when in fact it's them that didn't do the price changes.

Although Dish making it so they have to accept the price changes before they'll go through now is what's likely causing this level of YMMV on some games in this sale.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Course though, it is also highlighting managers and stores that aren't doing their jobs to corporate.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Course though, it is also highlighting managers and stores that aren't doing their jobs to corporate.[/QUOTE]
True. I'm still in shock how some of them continue to have jobs at this point. Speaking of which, I'm also still in shock over how many BBV stores have been closed in my area within the last 3-4 years or so. At last count we lost somewhere around 6 or so, though some of those have been closed for longer than that.

Pro tip : go into your local store during a "open house" on saturday & usually they have some sort of free candy or food, go in and take it all then leave.

If you where a manager at one of these places you would be pissed as well seeing how much money they are losing.

[quote name='brutalny']Pro tip : go into your local store during a "open house" on saturday & usually they have some sort of free candy or food, go in and take it all then leave..[/QUOTE]

lol. I hope that's a joke

True. I'm still in shock how some of them continue to have jobs at this point. Speaking of which, I'm also still in shock over how many BBV stores have been closed in my area within the last 3-4 years or so. At last count we lost somewhere around 6 or so, though some of those have been closed for longer than that.

we had 11 stores in my area and are down to 3 and just found out 1 of those is on a "watch" list. i'm sure there will be more store closings too as leases begin to expire.

i'm starting to get the sense that bbv wont be around much longer as they are making the stores do some pretty shady stuff to help the bottom line.

Hawaiiboy, I contacted the district manager who oversees the Blockbusters in my area and she told me that the stores are supposed to take trade-ins and also aren't supposed to reject certain titles just because the manager doesn't want them (she said they only are supposed to reject them if they are completely taken out of the system for trade-in, such as the case of Kinect Adventures). She said she will be contacting the stores I mentioned to make sure they comply with their established system. So hopefully that will be the end of my frustration (thanks for the help by the way, not only on this matter but on this thread in general).

Define 'shady stuff'.

First off to help save labor all store managers are required to work 6 days and 52 hrs.

We are now going to other retailers to buy movies to use as our rentals. Just in the past week we have bought smurfs, friends with benefits, hangover 2, the help and mr poppers penguins. It started with just Warner brothers films but now it's the majority of stuff. Apparently they aren't getting the deal they are looking for when dealing with the studios so they say fine we'll get the movies ourselves. This has gone on for about 2 months now.

Finally, what I would call the shady part is the company over bought Harry potter so a bunch of stores had unopened retail copies (i had 16 copies)that we didn't use as rentals so instead of just letting us sell them we get a memo yesterday to go to target, bestbuy, Walmart to try and return as many copies wihout a receipt and get credit for them to help supplement the movies we had to buy today.

[quote name='hawaiiboy'] we get a memo yesterday to go to target, bestbuy, Walmart to try and return as many copies wihout a receipt and get credit for them to help supplement the movies we had to buy today.[/QUOTE]

lol

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Define 'shady stuff'.[/QUOTE]

I saw Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2 and the newer Pirates of the Carribean bluray/dvd combo sets broken up and sold as BR only/ DVD only. Reminded me of myself doing GOOZEX trades. lol I was only told the DVD was not including when I brought it up to pay for it. There was no labelling on the box.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']First off to help save labor all store managers are required to work 6 days and 52 hrs.

We are now going to other retailers to buy movies to use as our rentals. Just in the past week we have bought smurfs, friends with benefits, hangover 2, the help and mr poppers penguins. It started with just Warner brothers films but now it's the majority of stuff. Apparently they aren't getting the deal they are looking for when dealing with the studios so they say fine we'll get the movies ourselves. This has gone on for about 2 months now.

Finally, what I would call the shady part is the company over bought Harry potter so a bunch of stores had unopened retail copies (i had 16 copies)that we didn't use as rentals so instead of just letting us sell them we get a memo yesterday to go to target, bestbuy, Walmart to try and return as many copies wihout a receipt and get credit for them to help supplement the movies we had to buy today.[/QUOTE]

Recommend to sell medical cannabis. Add some free rentals with that, and you'd save the company!

[quote name='kingsnuff']local bbv was wiped clean of $14.99 games. I was really trying to get a copy of Ass Creed Bro[/QUOTE]

i think i have one copy of AC Bro PS3 in my house from BBV. PS3

if you want u can have it for cost, plus paypal fee plus shipping, if not i will trade it in. thanks

U can PM me

Didn't realize that this sale was still going on. Might have to check one of the Blockbusters I didn't visit the first time around.

I doubt I'll find anything now. Would be nice to find something.

Figured it was over and the original poster mentioned not being able to return CAG until the next year or something like that.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']First off to help save labor all store managers are required to work 6 days and 52 hrs.

Finally, what I would call the shady part is the company over bought Harry potter so a bunch of stores had unopened retail copies (i had 16 copies)that we didn't use as rentals so instead of just letting us sell them we get a memo yesterday to go to target, bestbuy, Walmart to try and return as many copies wihout a receipt and get credit for them to help supplement the movies we had to buy today.[/QUOTE]

The first bit happens all the time to salaried individuals in retail and restaurant industry. :cry: Sad truth. Overtime exempt? Put them to work!

The last bit is def a bit shady, but I'm actually almost kind of glad BBV is starting to say "fuck you" to the studios who are getting outrageous with how they are dealing with rentals. 28 day delays, rental only versions of movies, etc. They are just ruining rental services and pissing off consumers who are already not buying their overpriced DVDs and Blurays of shitty over budgeted movies. /rant

I don't see the buying of movies to rent as a big deal at all. Sounds like good business practice to me. It's probably way cheaper than the amount WB or whoever wants to charge.

[quote name='Althax']I don't see the buying of movies to rent as a big deal at all. Sounds like good business practice to me. It's probably way cheaper than the amount WB or whoever wants to charge.[/QUOTE]
yea but isn't that illegal?

[quote name='kouleefoh']yea but isn't that illegal?[/QUOTE]

Far as I know, technically not. Most studios have threatened to take away the "deal" that they give rental companies, i.e. selling at a wholesale price company wide to give them far more copies for the same price, as well as ensuring they have copies in advance of release so they can put them out for rental right away, and other companies have threatened to go the "we'll just buy it from other places" route before, publicly no less, so I'm guessing no.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']The first bit happens all the time to salaried individuals in retail and restaurant industry. :cry: Sad truth. Overtime exempt? Put them to work!

The last bit is def a bit shady, but I'm actually almost kind of glad BBV is starting to say "fuck you" to the studios who are getting outrageous with how they are dealing with rentals. 28 day delays, rental only versions of movies, etc. They are just ruining rental services and pissing off consumers who are already not buying their overpriced DVDs and Blurays of shitty over budgeted movies. /rant[/QUOTE]
I couldn't tell you the last time I bought(or saw) a newer released movie. I typically wait till either Best Buy clears out the DVD versions for $3-4 or I buy them during the BBV sales like the one currently going on.;)

I still don't understand how the hell places like FYE are still in business either. New releases are $20+ and that's just for a DVD version usually.

YESSS! This has finally been brought up in this thread. I've wanted to talk about this with some people for a while, but I didn't want to go off-topic. Now that it's out there, it's a free podium ;p

Okay, so yeah, how the heck is Blockbuster getting away with buying all these movies from different stores to sell as rentals? That's exactly what the warnings before a film tell you not to do - that the film is for individual viewing only, and is not to be rented, sold, etc. I'm certain that there are "rental rights" that a company has to have in order to rent a movie. Think about it; why all that hoopla that "Blockbuster gets movies before Netflix" if Netflix could just go buy all the movies from a distributor? This is unquestionably against either 1) the law, 2) their agreements with studios, or 3) tax/accounting procedures.

At my local Blockbuster, they're actually paying people for new release movies; $20/copy. So what you could do, is go spend $500 buying 33 new, $15 release copies of Pirates from Walmart, and then go to Blockbuster and sell those 33 copies for $660. Making a $160 profit in about an hour or two. Then you go back to a different Walmart, spent $660 on 44 copies, just to go back to Blockbuster and sell those 44 copies for $880. These local stores don't have limits. Not exaggerating, I know some people were making $4,000-$5,000 a WEEK on flipping movies.

It's gotten so bad, that all the retailers in my area (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc) have put in a VERY strict limit of two of the same movie per day.

It just seems so against how a proper organization is supposed to run, and I'm very curious how they're getting away with it.

I'm guessing the law part is questionable, but the agreement with the studio is a different thing. Redbox has threatened in the past that they would just start buying the DVD's themselves rather than through the studio, but the studio must of eventually cut them a good deal for prices that they put up with the delay. Blockbuster actually made a deal to get that delay for other companies.

50 hours a week is a standard work week for retail management. Enterprise rent a car has a 50 hour work week for all salaried employees. Managers work closer to 60 hours. Managers are also paid on the profits of a store (or should be) this is an incentive to keep the labor cost down.

[quote name='dys006']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine#Application_to_DVDs_and_NEBG_v_Weinstein[/QUOTE]

Wow. Thank you very much for that link; I appreciate it. I suppose I was wrong.

Granted, the article lacks a citation when it says that movie warnings do not accurately reflect buyers' rights. And I still have a hard time believing there isn't *something* less-than-kosher going on.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate the link, and am happy to admit I was mistaken.

[quote name='mattcube64']
Granted, the article lacks a citation when it says that movie warnings do not accurately reflect buyers' rights. And I still have a hard time believing there isn't *something* less-than-kosher going on.[/QUOTE]

I'm an attorney, so I can clarify a little (though IP law is not something I know much of). When that wiki page says warnings do not accurately reflect buyers' rights, it's correct. In this case, the movie studio can say you're violating the law if you do "X, Y, & Z", but that doesn't change what the actual law is. If the law gives you more freedom than what the disclaimer states, then the law controls.

It's actually common practice in virtually all industries. You see disclaimers all over the place, stating that you're liable if you do this, or that Company A is not liable for damages, but your legal rights aren't actually controlled by these statements. It's mostly just a tactic to discourage people from inquiring about their legal rights.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I'm an attorney, so I can clarify a little (though IP law is not something I know much of). When that wiki page says warnings do not accurately reflect buyers' rights, it's correct. In this case, the movie studio can say you're violating the law if you do "X, Y, & Z", but that doesn't change what the actual law is. If the law gives you more freedom than what the disclaimer states, then the law controls.

It's actually common practice in virtually all industries. You see disclaimers all over the place, stating that you're liable if you do this, or that Company A is not liable for damages, but your legal rights aren't actually controlled by these statements. It's mostly just a tactic to discourage people from inquiring about their legal rights.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, very good information to know. As a journalism major, many of my classes dealt with communications law (rights to withhold identity, be present on location, photograph officers/buildings, make statements of a person's being, etc); but we never dabbled into any of this. Which is a shame, because regardless of your path in education, what you're saying seems like something everyone should be informed about.

Thanks.

[quote name='mattcube64']YESSS! This has finally been brought up in this thread. I've wanted to talk about this with some people for a while, but I didn't want to go off-topic. Now that it's out there, it's a free podium ;p

Okay, so yeah, how the heck is Blockbuster getting away with buying all these movies from different stores to sell as rentals? That's exactly what the warnings before a film tell you not to do - that the film is for individual viewing only, and is not to be rented, sold, etc. I'm certain that there are "rental rights" that a company has to have in order to rent a movie. Think about it; why all that hoopla that "Blockbuster gets movies before Netflix" if Netflix could just go buy all the movies from a distributor? This is unquestionably against either 1) the law, 2) their agreements with studios, or 3) tax/accounting procedures.

At my local Blockbuster, they're actually paying people for new release movies; $20/copy. So what you could do, is go spend $500 buying 33 new, $15 release copies of Pirates from Walmart, and then go to Blockbuster and sell those 33 copies for $660. Making a $160 profit in about an hour or two. Then you go back to a different Walmart, spent $660 on 44 copies, just to go back to Blockbuster and sell those 44 copies for $880. These local stores don't have limits. Not exaggerating, I know some people were making $4,000-$5,000 a WEEK on flipping movies.

It's gotten so bad, that all the retailers in my area (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc) have put in a VERY strict limit of two of the same movie per day.

It just seems so against how a proper organization is supposed to run, and I'm very curious how they're getting away with it.[/QUOTE]

Thats crazy,i wouldnt want to do that,but that is alot of $ to be made.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I'm an attorney, so I can clarify a little (though IP law is not something I know much of). When that wiki page says warnings do not accurately reflect buyers' rights, it's correct. In this case, the movie studio can say you're violating the law if you do "X, Y, & Z", but that doesn't change what the actual law is. If the law gives you more freedom than what the disclaimer states, then the law controls.

It's actually common practice in virtually all industries. You see disclaimers all over the place, stating that you're liable if you do this, or that Company A is not liable for damages, but your legal rights aren't actually controlled by these statements. It's mostly just a tactic to discourage people from inquiring about their legal rights.[/QUOTE]

Word. Most video games actually say that you can't legally resell them (somewhere, be it in the manual or somewhere in the in-game's fine print. But you can. If I am not mistaken, the definition really comes from the physical object, I'm not selling you Call of Duty 4, I'm selling you a disc that just so happens to contain COD 4. Or something like that. I might be totally wrong on that, but there's some rather simple explanation as to why you can.

[quote name='mattcube64']YESSS! This has finally been brought up in this thread. I've wanted to talk about this with some people for a while, but I didn't want to go off-topic. Now that it's out there, it's a free podium ;p

It just seems so against how a proper organization is supposed to run, and I'm very curious how they're getting away with it.[/QUOTE]

Is this an isolated Blockbuster? Do any other Blockbusters accept movie trade-ins? Or is this some insider deal with the management there?

[quote name='sonnyforple']Is this an isolated Blockbuster? Do any other Blockbusters accept movie trade-ins? Or is this some insider deal with the management there?[/QUOTE]

There are ones around here that do it. You make about $5 per movie or so. They do have limited quantities they accept. From what I heard there is a set number they will take in. With quite a few people doing it, the 4,000 - 5,000 seems way to high. It is only for certain movies also.

[quote name='schuerm26']There are ones around here that do it. You make about $5 per movie or so. They do have limited quantities they accept. From what I heard there is a set number they will take in. With quite a few people doing it, the 4,000 - 5,000 seems way to high. It is only for certain movies also.[/QUOTE]

Do they advertise with signage in-store that they do this? I imagine that it's just for Warner Bros. movies since they can't buy those at the wholesale/distributor level for 28 days post-release.

Am I nuts, or did we read some case dealing with rights-limiting pamphlets which were packaged inside of the item (disc/movie) that could not have been read by the consumer until after the package was opened? I took one (maybe 2) IP classes during my entire 3 years and that was 12 years ago now so I only have vague recollections about this stuff.

i just called BB and they said they only give store credit for movie trade in/buyback

so wtf are you going to do with $10k in blockbuser credit

[quote name='

Quote: Originally Posted by herpderp118
so wtf are you going to do with $10k in blockbuser credit
deadtrees']

Buy the company.[/QUOTE]

On a smaller and more realistic scope, you can probably outright own the store after 2 weeks of hoarding dvd tradins.

:whee:

If Duke Nukem Forever holds its TIV, a good flip can be had today through Best Buy's Deal of the Day. It is $4.99 for 360 and PS3.

bread's done
Back