The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup the whole stupid thing now is how if people would have just went when this current sale started they would have got amazing deals. Now they're paying prices on used for what they could get new in many cases if they just looked around. Oh well their loss, just sucks they're eating up all the good stuff so when the prices are actually down low there will be nothing left.

And it seems like there's something BBV isn't making public because a LOT of stores are closing right now and many of these are doing very well by all accounts.

[quote name='JKSonic']Yup the whole stupid thing now is how if people would have just went when this current sale started they would have got amazing deals. Now they're paying prices on used for what they could get new in many cases if they just looked around. Oh well their loss, just sucks they're eating up all the good stuff so when the prices are actually down low there will be nothing left.

And it seems like there's something BBV isn't making public because a LOT of stores are closing right now and many of these are doing very well by all accounts.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? The stores available to me where cleaned out the very first day. So yeah, THEY (the one person who cleaned out the first store I got to) got great deals, while in the process of cleaning out the stores they ended up screwing the rest of us who were not able to get there at opening (jobs, family, etc).

Point the finger at those morons who traded in games like KA in mass quantities (and other profitable flips) for the reason why there is shit selection at the remaining (soon to be closed) BBVs. Trading 1-2 is fine, but going overboard with 5-9 at each and every store is utter stupidity. BBV is now stuck with shelves full of overpriced garbage games that no one will buy, unless it gets marked 90% off. On the bright side, with alot of these BBV closings (and BB trade bans), it is a tad bit harder for the abusive flippers to make money. I am pissed that of the 4 BBV stores in 2011 that were within a 10 mile radius, 3 were closed, leaving the furthest (and worst run) open for the time being.

[quote name='nakanenui']What do you mean? The stores available to me where cleaned out the very first day. So yeah, THEY (the one person who cleaned out the first store I got to) got great deals, while in the process of cleaning out the stores they ended up screwing the rest of us who were not able to get there at opening (jobs, family, etc).

Point the finger at those morons who traded in games like KA in mass quantities (and other profitable flips) for the reason why there is shit selection at the remaining (soon to be closed) BBVs. Trading 1-2 is fine, but going overboard with 5-9 at each and every store is utter stupidity. BBV is now stuck with shelves full of overpriced garbage games that no one will buy, unless it gets marked 90% off. On the bright side, with alot of these BBV closings (and BB trade bans), it is a tad bit harder for the abusive flippers to make money. I am pissed that of the 4 BBV stores in 2011 that were within a 10 mile radius, 3 were closed, leaving the furthest (and worst run) open for the time being.[/QUOTE]

u mad bro?

Aaaaaand I'm officially out of Blockbuster credit.

With LA Noire and Homefront down to $15, I bought one of each on each system, grabbed a couple crappy Wii games, and took them to Gamestop. Turned $40 at BBV into $46 @ GS, and kept Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (DS) for myself. Not a great flip, but figured it was time to empty my credit instead of just waiting for an inevitable closing.

With the last $23 of credit, I bought my best friend a complete copy of Deus Ex HR on PS3 for $19.99, and grabbed some candy.

Thanks to this sale, and Gamestop's B2G1 sales mixed with BBV's generous trade-in values, I turned about $100 into about $75 in giftcards, a few games for myself and my friends, and about $250 in Gamestop credit.

As always, thank you HB and everyone else for all the contributions.

So, are you guys planning on holding onto your BBV credit? I'm just afraid that one day they'll be closed and my credit will be no good any more. Not worth it to me. I was hoping we'd see a final big round of drops before the end of the sale; but alas, it didn't happen. How much credit at BBV does everyone still have?

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']What's the TIV on Red Faction: Armageddon? Trying to decide if I should just keep it or trade it in.[/QUOTE]

As of late last week, it was $10 for 360 and $17 for PS3. Things may have changed, since, though. Good luck!

i have zero clue what to do with my BBV credit

im either going to wait for the next big used game sale however many months away or grab a PS3

ive got about 150

[quote name='herpderp118']i have zero clue what to do with my BBV credit

im either going to wait for the next big used game sale however many months away or grab a PS3

ive got about 150[/QUOTE]

You may not want to wait too long, as the store might not be there.

Blockbuster has some real shady business practices. My friend has the combo pass in store and was told this week he can no longer rent new games with it just old games that have been out for years. And he is still paying the same amount!

Anyway 2 stores near me closed just a few weeks ago. There is still one that is close 5 miles away but the other closest one is 25 miles.

Decisions, decisions. Do I buy just Deus Ex for $19.99 on the final day of this sale....or do I do a 5/$25 with my $29 in credit I had put on a gift card and get five games and wait for an inevitable lower price for DE.

Think I'm gonna do the latter at one of the further stores today and wait for DE to drop. I mean, it looks fun and all, but not $20 one game versus $25 for 5 games fun.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Decisions, decisions. Do I buy just Deus Ex for $19.99 on the final day of this sale....or do I do a 5/$25 with my $29 in credit I had put on a gift card and get five games and wait for an inevitable lower price for DE.

Think I'm gonna do the latter at one of the further stores today and wait for DE to drop. I mean, it looks fun and all, but not $20 one game versus $25 for 5 games fun.:razz:[/QUOTE]

i think hb said a few pages back that the sale was extended

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Decisions, decisions. Do I buy just Deus Ex for $19.99 on the final day of this sale....or do I do a 5/$25 with my $29 in credit I had put on a gift card and get five games and wait for an inevitable lower price for DE.

Think I'm gonna do the latter at one of the further stores today and wait for DE to drop. I mean, it looks fun and all, but not $20 one game versus $25 for 5 games fun.:razz:[/QUOTE]

Depends on what your store has left, IMO.

My stores - save for the new Homefront & LA Noire additions - are *completely* picked clean. There isn't anything worthwhile, and I'd have definitely grabbed Deus Ex for $20 over any five of those remaining games.

But, if you can find a decent set, and can turn your $25 into $45 or so at Gamestop, it's only a matter of time before that store has used copies for $19.99 or less.

And, lastly, for what it's worth, I'd just like to mention that Deus Ex is *EASILY* worth the $20, though. I bought it for discount at launch on GreenManGaming, and loved it so much I went out and bought a retail Augmented Edition I liked it so much. I would rank it as the third best game of the year, after The Old Republic and The Witcher 2.

[quote name='sninh']i think hb said a few pages back that the sale was extended[/QUOTE]
I remember reading that, which is why I hope some more titles drop within the next week or two to the magical $14.99 price. Not that I need anymore titles for my backlog though.:whistle2:#
[quote name='mattcube64']Depends on what your store has left, IMO.

My stores - save for the new Homefront & LA Noire additions - are *completely* picked clean. There isn't anything worthwhile, and I'd have definitely grabbed Deus Ex for $20 over any five of those remaining games.

But, if you can find a decent set, and can turn your $25 into $45 or so at Gamestop, it's only a matter of time before that store has used copies for $19.99 or less.

And, lastly, for what it's worth, I'd just like to mention that Deus Ex is *EASILY* worth the $20, though. I bought it for discount at launch on GreenManGaming, and loved it so much I went out and bought a retail Augmented Edition I liked it so much. I would rank it as the third best game of the year, after The Old Republic and The Witcher 2.[/QUOTE]
Seeing as how I was the reason that at least two of the stores had nothing halfway decent left after the first DAY of the sale, it's good to see some nice price drops again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible price mistake/error/glitch:

Both of my closest BBV stores have either pulled all copies of :ps3::360: L.A. Noire from the shelves due to the drop to $14.99 either being a pricing error or marked them back up to $29.99.

First store said the $14.99 price was an error and the price for it was $29.99 used, second one just said they were told to pull it from the shelves for the time being.

So take that for what you will.:cry:

[quote name='sninh']i think hb said a few pages back that the sale was extended[/QUOTE]

It is - Link to the post in case anyone doesn't feel like searching: clicky here

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Just got notice that the 3 for $15 and 5 for $25 will be ongoing til further notice. Never did get any big clearance info. Just some framed art at 50% off.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Possible price mistake/error/glitch:

Both of my closest BBV stores have either pulled all copies of :ps3::360: L.A. Noire from the shelves due to the drop to $14.99 either being a pricing error or marked them back up to $29.99.

First store said the $14.99 price was an error and the price for it was $29.99 used, second one just said they were told to pull it from the shelves for the time being.

So take that for what you will.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Whoa - that sucks. Glad I grabbed mine last night.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I remember reading that, which is why I hope some more titles drop within the next week or two to the magical $14.99 price. Not that I need anymore titles for my backlog though.:whistle2:#

Seeing as how I was the reason that at least two of the stores had nothing halfway decent left after the first DAY of the sale, it's good to see some nice price drops again.[/QUOTE]

You are the also the reason that 2 stores by me closed :roll:. Kidding :D

Sadly the one store left by me only has wii games for sale on a special rack. I did my best picking the the other stores clean before they went to liquidation sale and that was already slim picking to begin with. I dont anticipate the last store to have any games to sell even with new drops.

At this point Blockbuster is dead to me, i'm going to miss them.

I know I would certainly miss the chain if they went the way of Circuit City/Hollywood Video. I'd also miss more than a few of the employees, since there's quite a few that are just amazed by the sorta game trade shenanigans I pull.;)

Well, that explains why the lady was very surprised by the LA Noire drop when I was there yesterday.
Anyway, picked up Dead Space 2, Shift 2, and LA Noire for $14.99. I was pretty pleased with my purchases.

[quote name='PFX7']can someone please post a link for the game rush store locations ? the link go the OP seems dead.[/QUOTE]

blockbuster.com

type in your zip code.

I don't know of any oklahoma stores closing near me, but I only have one in my ton (about 2 minutes from me and it's the store I used to work at) ^.^ and the other store closest to me is about 20 minutes away, BUT my brother lives 5 minutes from it =D

Wow, talk about nothing really left. Was struggling just trying to get five games assembled. I gave up and got nothing from the sale.

I did see 360 and PS3 versions of L.A. Noire for $14.99 in the mix, but decided not to get it since there's the complete edition. Was considering getting Fallout New Vegas again, but passed since there's going to be complete version out soon.

The other choices were Mindjack, Homefront, and Duke Nukem Forever. I think I made the right decision to pass.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Wow, talk about nothing really left. Was struggling just trying to get five games assembled. I gave up and got nothing from the sale.

I did see 360 and PS3 versions of L.A. Noire for $14.99 in the mix, but decided not to get it since there's the complete edition. Was considering getting Fallout New Vegas again, but passed since there's going to be complete version out soon.

The other choices were Mindjack, Homefront, and Duke Nukem Forever. I think I made the right decision to pass.[/QUOTE]

That wouldnt be too bad of a haul tho. LA Noire on both platforms, Mindjack, HF, and Duke for 25.

went to one store with the liquidation sales going on, and they didnt have the 5 for $25; it that the same with other stores that are having their closing sales?

[quote name='exaznkid']went to one store with the liquidation sales going on, and they didnt have the 5 for $25; it that the same with other stores that are having their closing sales?[/QUOTE]

Think HB posted if the store is closing, they aren't doing the 5 for $25 sale. One of my local bbv's is closing and they said they weren't doing the sale, just 10% off. :(

Just saw that blockbuster posted on their facebook page "New prices on previously viewed games: L.A. Noire $14.99..." link

[quote name='Jerajdai']Think HB posted if the store is closing, they aren't doing the 5 for $25 sale. One of my local bbv's is closing and they said they weren't doing the sale, just 10% off. :(

Just saw that blockbuster posted on their facebook page "New prices on previously viewed games: L.A. Noire $14.99..." link
[/QUOTE]
Ah, i guess that explains, that's a shame since I actually found a few game that I wanted to throw onto my backlog mountain.

Price drops effective mon 1/2.

:ps3:
Battlefield 3 $39.99
Killzone 3 $24.99
Little big planet 2 $19.99
Madden 12 $39.99
NCAA football 12 $39.99
Operation flashpoint red $29.99
Rage $24.99
Resistance 3 $29.99
Transformers dark of the moon $34.99

:360:
Battlefield 3 $39.99
Crysis 2 $24.99
Driver sanfrancisco $29.99
NCAA football 12 $39.99
Rage $24.99
Top spin 4 $24.99
Transformers dark of the moon $39.99

Talk about a crappy price drop.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops effective mon 1/2.

:ps3:
Battlefield 3 $39.99
Killzone 3 $24.99
Little big planet 2 $19.99
Madden 12 $39.99
NCAA football 12 $39.99
Operation flashpoint red $29.99
Rage $24.99
Resistance 3 $29.99
Transformers dark of the moon $34.99

:360:
Battlefield 3 $39.99
Crysis 2 $24.99
Driver sanfrancisco $29.99
NCAA football 12 $39.99
Rage $24.99
Top spin 4 $24.99
Transformers dark of the moon $39.99

Talk about a crappy price drop.[/QUOTE]

My store has absolutely none of those.

Blockbusters stock availability really varies from store to store. Do they receive shipments or does all their stock come from trade-ins/rental converts ?

Almost all of our stuff is rentals. I'm the only person that ever trades at my store and we haven't received any games from closing stores just stupid movies which we have like a million prps right now.

I was at a closing store earlier this week, and it looked like they had shipped out all of their rental games. The only games they had were what was already for sale earlier in the month before the clearance started.

Hawaiiboy,

Do you have any clarification about what happened with L.A. Noire? Has it gone back up to $29.99 used or what's the deal with it?

I ask because none of the employees at either of the stores I went to today knew what the hell was going on, just that they were told it was an error/glitch and to either pull them or mark them back up to $29.99.

Hawaiiboy,

Do you have any clarification about what happened with L.A. Noire? Has it gone back up to $29.99 used or what's the deal with it?

I ask because none of the employees at either of the stores I went to today knew what the hell was going on, just that they were told it was an error/glitch and to either pull them or mark them back up to $29.99.

Unless it was a district notice or something I'm not sure what they are talking about. We didn't receive any corporate memo about that game as I just double checked. I'm Picking up my copies tonight and off they go.

Well, I drove by another Blockbuster today (probably the second closest to me - 20 miles round trip). This one does not appear to be closing. This one is horribly run, never updates price tags, and never seems to have anything good when the sales start. And no one ever seems to be in there. And it is in a bad location.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Unless it was a district notice or something I'm not sure what they are talking about. We didn't receive any corporate memo about that game as I just double checked. I'm Picking up my copies tonight and off they go.[/QUOTE]
It just seems weird that two stores in the same area would both either say the game went back up in price or they were told to pull them.

I was gonna try hitting up the only other remaining store that's not closing down the line from me this afternoon to see if they had pulled their copies as well or not, but I was running short on time and decided to skip out on stopping.

Oh well. As it stands, I dumped my personal copy of LAN the other night to my closest store along with my copy of Dungeon Siege III(which was NOT on the shelf when I checked there earlier today). But now since LAN has been yanked and/or raised back up in price I have nothing to spend the credit I have on a gc on since the second store up here sold out of their Dead Rising 2's and only had a handful of meh games across PS3/360/Wii when I was there today.
[quote name='io']Well, I drove by another Blockbuster today (probably the second closest to me - 20 miles round trip). This one does not appear to be closing. This one is horribly run, never updates price tags, and never seems to have anything good when the sales start. And no one ever seems to be in there. And it is in a bad location.[/QUOTE]
That reminds me of the second BBV I hit earlier today. Their copies of Homefront and Transformers: War For Cybertron still had the old tags on em for both consoles.

Thanks for the info guys, was able to pick up Homefront, LA Noire and Mindjack for 15 total. Although I had to ask the manager to accept the price drops. It was funny, she remembered me from the last sale too.

Edit: btw, this was in fremont, ca. They still had a good amount of games. About 20 LA Noires, 5 Homefronts, although I got the last Mindjack. This was all for 360.

SCORE!! Finally I had been waiting to find Resistance 3 on sale and just copped it for $19.99 at Blockbuster .. dropped from $49.99 And I got $5 off of that too so total was $14.70 with tax because the multiplayer code was gone.

SIDE NOTE Anyone with a Multiplayer code for Resistance 3? for PS3 help me out!!! I have stuff for trade, private message me

[quote name='GirlsRscandalouz']SCORE!! Finally I had been waiting to find Resistance 3 on sale and just copped it for $19.99 at Blockbuster .. dropped from $49.99 And I got $5 off of that too so total was $14.70 with tax because the multiplayer code was gone.

SIDE NOTE Anyone with a Multiplayer code for Resistance 3? for PS3 help me out!!! I have stuff for trade, private message me[/QUOTE]
Wait a second....

They gave you another $5 off the game because there was no MP code in a USED game?:shock: Wow. I always consider it a bonus when I get a DLC or MP code in a used game, but I don't go in expecting to get one.

As it stands I may try again this morning for L.A. Noire and see if they made an oopsie yesterday by removing them or what not. If not, then I'll probably pick up Homefront n some other shit for a final 5/$25 for now.

I dunno how resistance 3 was $19.99 as its $49.99 right now with a price drop tomorrow to $29.99. Closing store??? Franchise??? Mislabeled as resistance 2???

I would also like to know if it is going on still or is it over today? I'll call now and find out (I'm in central AZ) and I'll try to let you all know, though I imagine someone will beat me to it. ;)

I was late to this party :p

[quote name='KnightRobby']I would also like to know if it is going on still or is it over today? I'll call now and find out (I'm in central AZ) and I'll try to let you all know, though I imagine someone will beat me to it. ;)

I was late to this party :p[/QUOTE]
They did it for me today, but informed me the sale was supposed to be over yesterday. This is in Central MA. They still had the displays and everything up, so maybe it's until more stock is gone, as some BBV's are run differently by the franchisers and don't follow corporate exactly. Got some blu-rays, the games were cleared out for the most part.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']like i posted earlier, the sale has been extended indefinitely.[/QUOTE]
It is shocking how many people apparently doubted this. Anyone who has followed this thread for any time at all knows that whatever hawaiiboy says should be taken as BBV gospel.

[quote name='ackbar7']It is shocking how many people apparently doubted this. Anyone who has followed this thread for any time at all knows that whatever hawaiiboy says should be taken as BBV gospel.[/QUOTE]

I can understand how his post would be lost in the sea of the thread though, so it's possible people couldn't find a post of his stating it(I skimmed through the thread and it was on the second run through that I saw where it was extended).

bread's done
Back