The BLUE DRAGON Thread!

So...a few weeks now. How does this game play compared to Enchanted Arms? I don't play too many RPGs anymore (skipping all the PS1/PS2 offerings eccept Kingdom Hearts I and II) so thats the best comparison I have towards it. I second, how many DVDs, 3?

I enjoyed the demo but I hope the framerate during combat is improved in the final code. It seemed a little out of wack at times.

FYI, I just noticed Blue Dragon is now available for rent on Gamefly As of a couple of weeks ago it wasn't available due to "packaging restrictions".

Just in time for my 10% discount on purchases to kick in.

edit: thought it was out early maybe but looks like i just got a lucky friend lol

The review from IGN wasnt the best but im still looking forward to it.

The PAL version of the game was leaked, its region free so that may be why you've seen people with the game in their achievements.

Just a heads up, seems that some Toys R Us's have already put the game out for sale. I'll be checking my location tomorrow, but i wont be holding my breath (then again, i did pretty well last year when TRU released the 360 camera a month early).

[quote name='Bezerker']Just a heads up, seems that some Toys R Us's have already put the game out for sale. I'll be checking my location tomorrow, but i wont be holding my breath (then again, i did pretty well last year when TRU released the 360 camera a month early).[/quote]

Blue Dragon? Are you sure you didn't mean to post in the Bioshock thread? ;)

Nope, people are reporting that Blue Dragon is out @ TRU. They're well known for releasing things before street date, so its not that big of a surprise. I think its a marketing ploy to make people actually shop there.

[quote name='Bezerker']Nope, people are reporting that Blue Dragon is out @ TRU. They're well known for releasing things before street date, so its not that big of a surprise. I think its a marketing ploy to make people actually shop there.[/QUOTE]

Few more days...

So this game ships today -- in-stores on my birthday, August 29th. Crazy!

The review scores for this game are all over the place! The average is about a 79 on Metacritic, but I'm seen major outlets give it as little as a 5 (Eurogamer) and as much as a 9 (Play Magazine, Official XBox Magazine UK, others). As always, IGN's review is the exact average of Metacritic scores. I wonder how their editors do it, because they usually get their reviews up early.

Generally, the consensus is that it's excellent for an old-old-school jRPG, and depending on the editor, that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's a very good thing as far as *I* am concerned, but I can understand why it might review low. If I were reviewing an excellent niche title, I'd give it a decent score and warn the reader that it's only for the genre-hardcore.

Is anyone else picking this up day-one?

[quote name='brandonabley']
Generally, the consensus is that it's excellent for an old-old-school jRPG, and depending on the editor, that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's a very good thing as far as *I* am concerned, but I can understand why it might review low. If I were reviewing an excellent niche title, I'd give it a decent score and warn the reader that it's only for the genre-hardcore.

Is anyone else picking this up day-one?[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was thinking. I like turn-based JRPGs so I'd probably trend towards the higher scores. So I'll consider this an 8.5 level game or so.

I am getting it day 1 but only because I have a ton of credit at Gamecrazy and there's some question as to their long-term stability (or even short-term stability). So I might as well use up $60 of the many $100's I have there ;).

It's just that unless a game is near perfect I don't like to spend $60 on it, even in credit that cost me less than half that ;). I wonder how fast this will drop in price though? I'll have to commit myself to playing it soon (Metroid is first though). I figured this is not a good rental game (if they even carry it at BB or HV being a 3-disc game) as it is something I'd like to spend a few weeks on.

I played the demo on XBL and wasn't impressed. I was looking forward to this one but I found Eternal Sonata to be more fun. Blue Dragon was kind of boring in my opinion.

Just picked up my pre-order. Going to devote the next month or so to playing this game. I'm so excited.

Big slops to Microsoft in regards to the packaging. 3 disc but 1 spindle? All stacked on top of each other.

Didn't Bioshock have separate spindles for each disc for the CE? I don't see why Microsoft couldn't do this with Blue Dragon.

[quote name='asianxcore']

Didn't Bioshock have separate spindles for each disc for the CE? I don't see why Microsoft couldn't do this with Blue Dragon.[/QUOTE]

All cut corners go straight to the "help us pay for the Xbox 1" fund :)

[quote name='asianxcore']Just picked up my pre-order. Going to devote the next month or so to playing this game. I'm so excited.

Big slops to Microsoft in regards to the packaging. 3 disc but 1 spindle? All stacked on top of each other.

Didn't Bioshock have separate spindles for each disc for the CE? I don't see why Microsoft couldn't do this with Blue Dragon.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, you're kidding? That's horrible. Well, I guess I can break out an old PS2 2-disc case and put 2 of them in there. The only other game I know of like that is the Clancy Triple Pack for Xbox.

But this is $60 and they can't package it half-decently?

Oh well. I'm getting my Gamecrazy preorder in an hour or so. I probably won't play the game for a few weeks though as Metroid comes first.

I was a little disappointed to see the single spindle.. they could have done two discs overlapping slightly and a flap inside the case instead.. that would have been preferable..

Wow good thing I bought those quad DVD cases from Sonichigh.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1987966

I planning on picking up my copy since I got a $20 gift card from CC the other day.

[quote name='asianxcore']Just picked up my pre-order. Going to devote the next month or so to playing this game. I'm so excited.

Didn't Bioshock have separate spindles for each disc for the CE? I don't see why Microsoft couldn't do this with Blue Dragon.[/quote]Great, Halo 2 LE all over again. :roll:

Bioshock CE had an added double-sided spined disc holder for the two bonus discs, extra disc on the front, soundtrack EP on the back. Game disc was in the normal spot on the back of the case.

Prey CE was another screwy packaging job, with the game disc directly on the back part of the case against bare metal.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory CE had the discs on a double-sided spined disc holder, worked perfectly.

When is the last time any of you guys bought a PC game? PC games routinely come with install/play or separate play discs stacked on top of each other on a single spindle. It's not actually that strange!

I was majorly psyched for this game, but after hearing the boss music, I don't think I am interested.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Anyone seen this game at Target yet ? I have a gift card I have nothing else to use it on right now.[/QUOTE]
Yesterday, at my local Target, I saw the price sticker behind the case, but no game. It's possibly they sold out by the time I got there or are expecting a shipment soon since I also saw a Stranglehold price sticker right next to it.

[quote name='sasukekun']Yesterday, at my local Target, I saw the price sticker behind the case, but no game. It's possibly they sold out by the time I got there or are expecting a shipment soon since I also saw a Stranglehold price sticker right next to it.[/quote]

Yeah the tags have been there for a while. Alot of other store got them in today so I was just curious if anyone had happened to notice if Target got them as well.

[quote name='brandonabley'] It's not actually that strange![/QUOTE]

Not strange, but insanely annoying. I'd rather have my discs on separate spindles, so I didn't have to worry about accidentally scratching them or something.

I've only put an hour into the game so far, but I'm liking it. It's still too early to judge seeing that there are a ton of FMV's right now, simply to push the story along. I have to say it was a pretty awesome feeling when I got my shadows for the first time.

I picked up my preorder copy from Gamestop.
I had this preordered A LONG TIME ago.
Like a 3-4 months ago.
I was really excited for it then, but now I'm just playing it to tide me into Halo 3. :]

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Yeah the tags have been there for a while. Alot of other store got them in today so I was just curious if anyone had happened to notice if Target got them as well.[/quote]

Picked mine up from Target.

[quote name='Tsukento']So is it just my copy or are all Blue Dragon cases wrapped in what appears to be the crappy resealed wrapping?[/quote]

received 18 at my store.. all had the standard 360 seal.

Hm. Odd. When I opened mine up, it looked like someone had already played it. All three discs were covered with finger prints around the center holes of the disc and disc 3 had a couple of scuffs.

[quote name='Tsukento']Hm. Odd. When I opened mine up, it looked like someone had already played it. All three discs were covered with finger prints around the center holes of the disc and disc 3 had a couple of scuffs.[/quote]

Sounds like it was "Rented/Borrowed" and then resealed. Id take that shit back and bitch and go buy it someplace else.

That's what I'm thinking. The Microsoft seal was there and everything, but if I was able to remove it without breaking it, I can only wonder if the whole game was in fact opened, played, Microsoft seal slapped back on and then reshrinkwarpped. :\

S'mainly why I'm asking if BD came in the standard wrapping most other games do come in.

So how is everyone liking the game so far? I'm about 6 1/2 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. As I've been telling a lot of people, the strictly traditional gameplay might be really boring for most people.

So unless you don't know already, if you are on the fence about this game rent it first.

Right now I'm just outside Marumaro's village. My entire party is Level 16 w/ 21+ Shadow Class Ranks. I'm setting a goal at Level 20 before I move on to where I am supposed to go.

Hooray for level grinding :)

I like it, but there are some things that bother me. Mainly the difficulty (too easy!) and the horrible boss music. The voice acting is TERRIBLE in my opinion, but I may be spoiled because I just got done with Persona 3 which had great voice acting.

[quote name='Scorch']received 18 at my store.. all had the standard 360 seal.[/QUOTE]

Mine (from GC) is normally-sealed as well. Scorch, what is it with this game? I noticed my GC got a ton of them as well. Yet Jeanne d'Arc, which is I believe a Sony-published game (for the PSP) they only got 1 preorder copy in with no more on the way. I really wanted to pick that up after reading reviews (I hadn't heard about it before it came out or I would have preordered).

Anyway, I rushed over to GC to get Blue Dragon thinking they might run out (even though I preordered it) and they had more copies than I've ever seen them have of a game :lol:. It's just that with all the PSP and DS releases they only seem to get 1 or 2.

So I bought Blue Dragon and I know the reviews have been real wishy washy, but I am really enjoying it. I was wondering how many of you that have bought it and enjoyed it. Let me know, thanks!

I've sunk about 10 hours into the game and I think I'm getting to the end of disc 1.. which is supposedly where the story really kicks off.

I love this game, and I can't understand all of the reviewer hate being thrown around. There have been a number of wonderful surprises in battles.

I'll give one example, not really a spoiler.. just an enemy name and a helpful tip..

At some point in the game, you'll encounter Stone Poo Snakes (Toriyama's crazy monsters.. gotta love em). They are of course hard as rocks and nearly impervious to physical attacks.

If you cast a water spell on them, you'll get a notification saying that they've turned muddy and a "defense down" will appear. Now your characters physical attacks do much more damage :)

The game is full of little things like that that make sense and can give you an edge in battle. I will say that outside of bosses and the abilities of some enemies that can catch you off guard, the game is fairly easy, but considering how many enemies there are to fight on the screen, I don't think the game would be nearly as much fun if the fights were all challenging.

Can't wait to finish disc 1 and move on to disc 2 :)

Wow, you are already at the end of Disc 1, Robobandit?

I've put in about 9 1/2 hours and I just arrived at the
Island Of the Dead

Then again I've spent way too much time level-grinding and exploring everything I possibly can (for items, HP recovery, EXP/SP points).

[quote name='asianxcore']Wow, you are already at the end of Disc 1, Robobandit?

I've put in about 9 1/2 hours and I just arrived at the
Island Of the Dead

Then again I've spent way too much time level-grinding and exploring everything I possibly can (for items, HP recovery, EXP/SP points).[/quote]

I wasn't as close to the end as a I thought lol

I Just started disc 2 and I'm at 16 hrs... played pretty much all day. The end of disc 1 is spectacular :)

Just finished the first disc.
I wasn't going to get this game because I was gunna get my money back and get a preorder for GH3...

But this game is REALLY awesome so far.
I can't wait to see how it ends.
...I still want GH3 though. :/

bread's done
Back