The BLUE DRAGON Thread!

MarkMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Blue Dragon is coming out in a few more months!

Get ready! The game is pretty much ready for a US release, I have no idea why we have to wait that long... oh well.. :)

I'll have a preview/impressions up in a few days...

I am really looking forward to this game and not just becuase of the lack of these game types on the 360. This game seems like it will be good fun. I only wish it would have come out at the start of the summer and not in Aug since Aug has several great games comming out and even more in Sept.

Lucky you for getting this early!

[quote name='asianxcore']my most anticipated game of 07'

I have my pre-order at Gamecrazy paid off in full. I can't wait!! :)[/QUOTE]

I preordered mine at GC yesterday as a thank you to the guy who let me trade in 6 games with the 50% bonus and allowed my swap of Puzzle Quest for GrimGrimoire to count as my one required "new game" purchase. When I bring in my next set of trades I'll probably put in a preorder for Eternal Sonata.

[quote name='MarkMan']Turned based, it also has a lil' thing like in FFX where it shows who's turn is next.[/quote]

Can you swap the characters in and out like in FFX? That would make this a Day 1 purchase for me.

I cant wait. I love RPG's but i think i want it even more due to it being on the 360, i also cannot wait for Eternal Sonata. I need to take a trip to the store and pre-order these games so i can get them day 1.

[quote name='Kendro']Does this game have epic production values like a Final Fantasy game or is it Robin to Square's Batman?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing, except I'm wondering more about the gameplay. I'm not convinced that this or Eternal Sonata are anything more than your average j-rpg.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm wondering the same thing, except I'm wondering more about the gameplay. I'm not convinced that this or Eternal Sonata are anything more than your average j-rpg.[/quote] You could probably google for some impressions. People were generally impressed much more with Blue Dragon than with Eternal Sonata. Blue Dragon has some gorgeous graphics and a light hearted story, it also has some very nice music. Since this is an MS published title, and pretty much what MS was hoping Japan would go crazy for (turn based RPG with Toriyama art), its budget was probably pretty big.

Markman, does your disc have a ton of different voice options? Im thinking that is what held the game back for so long. Wish they had just released the game when the English was done though.

edit: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/20992.html ---> GameTrailer preview.

[quote name='Foolman']You could probably google for some impressions. People were generally impressed much more with Blue Dragon than with Eternal Sonata. Blue Dragon has some gorgeous graphics and a light hearted story, it also has some very nice music. Since this is an MS published title, and pretty much what MS was hoping Japan would go crazy for (turn based RPG with Toriyama art), its budget was probably pretty big.

Markman, does your disc have a ton of different voice options? Im thinking that is what held the game back for so long. Wish they had just released the game when the English was done though.[/QUOTE]

most rpgs have good graphics, music, and a light hearted story-- i'm wondering if the gameplay is unique in any way. people haven't had much to say about it, so it seems like that might be a bad thing...

It borrows a lot from other games(Esp Square Enix games, SUPRISE!)... but yea, overall it is a fuckin' solid title... Nothing mindboggling new... :(

But I love it.

[quote name='MarkMan']It borrows a lot from other games(Esp Square Enix games, SUPRISE!)... but yea, overall it is a fuckin' solid title... Nothing mindboggling new... :(

But I love it.[/QUOTE]
I'm excited to play this game and I'm excited that the 360 is getting some more RPG love. The reason I'm posting this is that my theory about Blue Dragon is that it is Mistwalker's title to do nothing more than to practice on making a solid old school RPG on the 360. Now that they have the practice they can put most of their creative efforts into their true passion project Lost Odyssey.

[quote name='spoo']I'm excited to play this game and I'm excited that the 360 is getting some more RPG love. The reason I'm posting this is that my theory about Blue Dragon is that it is Mistwalker's title to do nothing more then practice on making a solid old school RPG on the 360. Now that they have the practice they can put most of their creative efforts into their true passion project Lost Odyssey.[/quote]

I too am hoping Lost Odyssey gets more love. I've grown tired of the DQ/blue dragon art style and really look forward to LO. It seems to be getting completely overshadowed by Blue Dragon though, which makes me fear it's being called in by some team of interns or something.

[quote name='Surferflames']I too am hoping Lost Odyssey gets more love. I've grown tired of the DQ/blue dragon art style and really look forward to LO. It seems to be getting completely overshadowed by Blue Dragon though, which makes me fear it's being called in by some team of interns or something.[/QUOTE]
The way I see it is that BD is the DQ-esque game and LO is the FF-esque game.

FF is always pushing the envelope while DQ continues to perfect the classic gameplay style.

[quote name='spoo']The way I see it is that BD is the DQ-esque game and LO is the FF-esque game.

FF is always pushing the envelope while DQ continues to perfect the classic gameplay style.[/QUOTE]
That's probably the best way to look at it. I'm not expecting anything too ground-breaking with Blue Dragon, but I'm confident that it will be a great, old-school JRPG. The Xbox has needed one for years. I really want to see how big of an impact the Achievements have for me--there's a good chance I'll go for 1000 points when I normally would put it back on the shelf after 70-80% completion (between my schedule and my backlog, it's getting harder and harder for me to justify hours of sidequests these days).

I'm definitely pumped for this title, however, with Two Worlds, Blue Dragon and Mass Effect all within about 45 days, that's going to suck....having to work 50-60 hours a week means not as much gaming time as I would like.

TBW

[quote name='Surferflames']I too am hoping Lost Odyssey gets more love. I've grown tired of the DQ/blue dragon art style and really look forward to LO. It seems to be getting completely overshadowed by Blue Dragon though, which makes me fear it's being called in by some team of interns or something.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this. I mean I'll probably end up getting Blue Dragon, but I'm not that impressed. Looks like a standard RPG to me. Doesn't help that I don't like Toriyama's art style. After playing games like KOTOR, Oblivion, and Odin Sphere I have a hard time going back to these by the book JRPGs. Not to mention I'm not a fan of the light stories, and I'm getting a bit sick of 13 year old kids saving the world. That being said, Lost Odyssey looks awesome.

[quote name='depascal22']Sorry for the repost but it wasn't answered. Can you swap out team members during a battle a la Final Fantasy X?[/QUOTE]
I typed in "blue dragon swap" into google. The fifth result:

All five playable characters can appear in the battlefield, so you won't have to swap between them or worry about some of them not gaining experience points.
You're welcome.

[quote name='pete5883']I typed in "blue dragon swap" into google. The fifth result:

You're welcome.[/quote]

Thanks. I didn't know how to word it. That just made it a Day 1 purchase for me. I can't wait to see some of the combo attacks they think up for all 5 people.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']I'm definitely pumped for this title, however, with Two Worlds, Blue Dragon and Mass Effect all within about 45 days, that's going to suck....having to work 50-60 hours a week means not as much gaming time as I would like.

TBW[/quote]

Mass Effect has a release date now?

Blue Dragon Demo coming for a limited time:

Blue Dragon demo is slated for July 20. Weighing an impressive 1.1GB, the demo will apparently contain a whopping 2 hours of available gameplay. We hope you've grown accustomed to the English voice-overs though, as Japanese will not be an option in the demo. There may be a few different subtitle options, depending on the language settings of your Xbox. Finally, be sure to grab the demo as soon as you can, as it will fly away from Marketplace on August 3rd, giving just over three weeks to save up for the real thing.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/05/blue-dragon-demo-set-for-july-20/

I got to try the demo earlier, it is nowhere near 2 hours lol...

But yes, it's coming...

Super Contra sucks too if anyone cares..

[quote name='MarkMan']I got to try the demo earlier, it is nowhere near 2 hours lol...

But yes, it's coming...

Super Contra sucks too if anyone cares..[/QUOTE]

aww, thats too bad about Super Contra...ill still get it anyway tho lol

As for the demo, im sort of mixed on it. I know im going to get this game, so should i really spend 2 hours playing the demo instead of just waiting a few weeks and putting that time into the game?

decisions, decisions

[quote name='MarkMan']I got to try the demo earlier, it is nowhere near 2 hours lol...

But yes, it's coming...

Super Contra sucks too if anyone cares..[/quote]
Where does the demo take place timewise during the full game?

Does anyone know if the American release of blue dragon will have both english and japanese voices? if not, does anyone know if the import ver. from japan or asia have subtitles with jap voices, and will work on a american 360?

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7908

This boss battle music makes it a day one purchase. Holy crap. Japanese prog metal for the win.

1upYours' comparision to dream theater was noted, but not very accurate. More like new Iron Maiden.

The chrono trigger-like visuals help too. I like toriyama's designs when it isn't dragonball. ugh.

[quote name='jer7583']http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7908

This boss battle music makes it a day one purchase. Holy crap. Japanese prog metal for the win.

1upYours' comparision to dream theater was noted, but not very accurate. More like new Iron Maiden.

The chrono trigger-like visuals help too. I like toriyama's designs when it isn't dragonball. ugh.[/QUOTE]

God, I hope that song doesn't play often. Awful.

[quote name='jer7583']http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7908

The chrono trigger-like visuals help too. I like toriyama's designs when it isn't dragonball. ugh.[/QUOTE]

Dream Theater is my favorite band, and I wouldn't agree to the comparison being accurate either.

But holy crap, that battle music was awesome. I hope it is more varied though, throughout the game.

I wasn't paying much attention to this game but now I am.

[quote name='defiance_17']God, I hope that song doesn't play often. Awful.[/QUOTE]

Shut up and "Fly into eternity.". I don't see your issue with it seriously. It's catchy IMO.

It's just boss battle music, apparently not composed by the normal composer. I think it's a nice changeup.

Don't mean to hijack, but thrustbucket, what did you think of systematic chaos? It took a while to grow on me to being okay, but I still think it's pretty average.

Are you going to argue that looping a song with vocals is a good idea? Because it's not, for long boss battles. If it weren't for the voice of the singer and the bad-MIDI sound of the instruments, it could be a good song.

So now that the demo is out, how does everyone feel about the game?

IMO the demo did a rather poor job of conveying the game's magic... but it was still fun nonetheless...

[quote name='Sarang01']Shut up and "Fly into eternity.". I don't see your issue with it seriously. It's catchy IMO.[/QUOTE]

And I don't see how you could even begin to like it. Seriously. In my opinion, it's fucking awful.

bread's done
Back