The Carlos Cabrera, Hugo Savinovich, and Spanish Announce Table Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel bad for Kane. After a great feud with Undertaker and what was an awesome run with the belt, he gets stuck in this crap with Edge. Who just can't play a face at all.

About the Cena thing. I have to point out that from what I've heard - the company had hired new writers - which is why the seriousness for the Cena angle might have changed.

About the Edge/Kane angle. The point is that Kane deserves this. It's blowing my mind no one sees this. And I want to add that Paul Bearer is in it with Edge. :)

My favorite thing of the show was Kozlov with the lighter. So hilarious!

"More people for me to crush."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that no one sees this, it's that the good guys are supposed to be better than that regardless of what one seemingly deserves, particularly in a PG setting. It's poor storytelling, plain and simple.

[quote name='neocisco']It's not that no one sees this, it's that the good guys are supposed to be better than that regardless of what one seemingly deserves, particularly in a PG setting. It's poor storytelling, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

Poor storytelling? Perhaps. Highly entertaining? Without a doubt.

Also: Dolph Ziggler is the reason to watch Smackdown. Guy is on fire with great title defenses.

Hey guys, I dont know if you guys listen to podcasts but im just trying to spread the word about my friend's podcast. He has been doing it for the last 4 years and I just reconnected with him after years apart. My friend Erik is a indy wrestler here in Jersey. Him and his friend Myke Quick started the Rabblecast 4 years ago and all they do is talk about wrestling obviously but its worth listening to and hearing their point of views. Here is a link to their page on blogcast and if you guys want, like them on facebook. This will be the only push i ever do in any thread, but just spreading the word about their podcast and its definitely worth a listen.
blogtalk
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/therabblecast

facebook fan page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rabblecast/152449914776176?v=wall

[quote name='neocisco']Then your requirement for "highly entertaining" is, ironically, abysmally low.[/QUOTE]

Or you know, you could be happy for me that I get enjoyment from this.

I've been watching WCW Saturday Night from 1993 and surprisingly (or maybe not), it took a nosedive after Ole Anderson took over. The booking is awful in just about every aspect. Jobber matches last in the neighborhood of 10 minutes. Pretty much no one has a storyline. You can skip months at a time and you'll still see the exact same people doing the exact same thing. Atleast with Watts you had quality matches and fun (if not nonsensical or bordering on bigoted) storylines.

Eagle/Hornswoggle was amusing, Kaval-Swagger was good considering the injury, and Santino singing with Kozlov doing the lighter bit AND throwing out a holla holla ruled, but good God was this ever about 20 minutes of actual show stretched out to two hours. Striker bringing up Alberto's "unique" training numerous times and never specifying any of it was funny.

Screens -

Quotes -
Kane - All I want is my father back! YOU’RE TORTURING HIM LIKE HE’S SOME KIND OF TOY IN YOUR GAME - HE’S NOT A TOY, HE’S MY FATHER!
Edge - How ya doing big fella?
Kane - ANOTHER DUMMY!
Striker - Kaval does what the kids call keeping’ it real.
Josh - Jack Swagger was discovered by WWE Hall of Famer, Michael Cole’s idol, Jim Ross.
Striker - I thought Gerald Brisco discovered him?
Cole - Kaval should KEEP IT REAL and GIVE IT UP!
Cole - How come everyone from Brooklyn is bald?
Striker - WHAT!? All of Atlantic Avenue is on its way to get Cole.
Striker - LOOK AT HOW SWAGGER’S LEGS AR CROSSED, IT COULD BE A SIGN OF A DISCLOTED HIP!
Cole - Or he just crossed his feet…
Cole - GO BACK TO THE CRIB!
Swagger - WHEN YOU NEED RESULTS SPELLED OUT, IT’S S-W-A-G-G-E-R!
Cole - That’s why he’s an all-American academically!
Swagger - I’M THE FUTURE FIFTH-FACE ON MOUNT RUSHMORE!
Cole - Swagger did things the right way and filed a complaint!
Josh - Cole, DO YOU WATCH THE SAME SHOW AS EVERYONE ELSE?
Striker - An eagle versus a leprechaun, tonight!
Roberts - WITH A WINGSPAN OF FIVE FEET - THE EAGLE!
Striker - It’s just “the Eagle”.
Cole - He doesn’t soar anymore!
Cole - This’ll be like Tyson-Holyfield.
Cole - Hornswoggle has to be careful.
Striker - Why?
Cole - It’s a PG show - he can’t flip the bird!
Striker - Acme bird seed… And Acme is spelled wrong!
Josh - Probably copyrighted.
Cole - He should put some of J.R’s new MUSTARD SAUCE on that bird seed.
Cole - COME ON, EAGLE!
Cole - THE EAGLE’S GOING BALLIN!
Cole - EAGLE, PLEASE GET UP - YOU’RE ENDANGRED!
Cole - Fly like an eagle…
Santino - Kozlov is happy to be here.
Kozlov - More people for me to destroy.
Santino - WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS. THE REAL TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS! (Kozlov preps lighter(
Chavo - Let me find a partner and WE WILL, WE WILL ROCK YOU! (Claps)
Santino - We are the champions of the world…
Kozlov - HOLLA HOLLA!
Cole - Another one bites the dust!
Striker - Do we have to pay royalties?
Cole - Kofi’s never gonna be at the top.
Josh - He’s a former IC Champion.
Cole - Hello?! PAST-TENSE!
Josh - Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth - JACK SWAGGER IS A FORMER WORLD CHAMPION.
Cole - Yeah, BUT HE WON TONIGHT.
Cole - Miz winning the WWE Title put a new face on our product!
Kid - VICKIE’S UGLY! (clap clap clap clap) VICKIE’S UGLY!
Cole - Some men are meant to be contenders and some are meant to be champions!
Striker - SLEEPER. IT’S LIKE A CAR RUNNING OUT OF GAS. KOFI WILL SLOWLY SLIP INTO A SLUMBER!
Cole - Cody donates his nose hairs to charity.
Josh - That has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.
(after Cody cleans the chair)Cole - This Is smart - he just waxed his legs today. People LIKE TONY CHIMEL SIT IN THOSE CHAIRS.
Cody - YOU DO NOT TOUCH MY FACE. IT WAS GIVEN TO ME BY GOD!
Josh - Cody falls victim to the Master Lock Challenge.
Cole - Can we have Hornswoggle and the Eagle back out here?
Striker - Fuji head butt countered by Drew Mcintyre!
Striker - KNIFE-EDGE TO THE JUGULAR!
Cole - Knife-edge to the jugular? IT’S THE COBRA!
Striker - A chairs match means that chairs are legal.
Striker - Alberto has a very unique training - he uniquely-trains for matches just like this!

[quote name='davo1224']I've been watching WCW Saturday Night from 1993 and surprisingly (or maybe not), it took a nosedive after Ole Anderson took over.[/QUOTE]

IDK how he was as a wrestler (not sure I've seen more than maybe 2-3 of his matches ever), but everything I've ever heard or read about Ole pointed to near universal dislike of his booking. So I'm not surprised. :)

I should have gone to the JAPW show, but spent all day Christmas shopping instead. Totally forgot there was a wrestling show until we stopped at Tony Luke's to grab dinner and I saw a cat in a Chikara hoodie (at first I thought it was a Sick of it All hoodie, but I digress).

Went and looked at the card. Liger, Rhino, Jay Lethal, and The Briscoes were all there. And I had no idea that Da Hit Squad were their tag champs - I haven't seen or heard of Dan Maff in pro wrestling since the last show he did in ROH (and his subsequent quasi-public blackballing from wrestling). I always like Maff's intensity, I'd love to see him again.

I couldn't justify the drive + expenses that would've been incurred. I'm dying to see Necro Butcher live to say nothing of the other guys there but I think I'll have to wait for something within ~60 miles.

List of categories and nominees for Slammys:

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe...nees_For_Monday_s_Slammy_Awards_RAW_Show.html

Gotta say I think its lame as fuck that they don't have a MOTY category, and moment of the year is a tough call. With HBK/Taker being up against the Nexus initial segment. As much as Nexus has shit the bed completely that first night had people on edge and wondering where it was gonna go.

EDIT: Apparently they are adding a MOTY and Annoucer of the Year categories.

[quote name='cdubb1605']List of categories and nominees for Slammys:

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe...nees_For_Monday_s_Slammy_Awards_RAW_Show.html

Gotta say I think its lame as fuck that they don't have a MOTY category, and moment of the year is a tough call. With HBK/Taker being up against the Nexus initial segment. As much as Nexus has shit the bed completely that first night had people on edge and wondering where it was gonna go.

EDIT: Apparently they are adding a MOTY and Annoucer of the Year categories.[/QUOTE]

announcer of the year=Punk by a landslide.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Announcer of the Year goes to Cole, no doubt in my mind. No surprise there.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that in the sense of that's how it will be written, or that's what you want it to be?

Diva of the Year decided by a Battle Royale? Now call me crazy, but doesn't having them compete in a match for the award as opposed to having people vote on it completely defeat the purpose of how an awards show works?

[quote name='Iron Clad Burrito']IDK how he was as a wrestler (not sure I've seen more than maybe 2-3 of his matches ever), but everything I've ever heard or read about Ole pointed to near universal dislike of his booking. So I'm not surprised. :)[/QUOTE]

As a kid, I watched all things WCW. I loved Saturday Night. I thought it had some hidden gem matches. When did Ole take over?

Regarding watching older footage with present eyes. I watched full shows from WWE and WCW during the mid-to-late 1990s. I have watched pro wrestling since the late 1980s and always said WCW had better wrestling than WWE.

I watched WWE product that featured Bret Hart, Farooq, Savio Vega, The Rock, and Steve Austin. I watched WCW product that featured Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, Konnan, Rey Misterio, Jr., and the Steiner Brothers. After watching full shows from both companies from 1996 to 1999, I still think WCW had much better wrestling than WWE. As a kid, I didn't realize how highly-produced the product had been from WWE. WCW, while also produced, had a more organic, natural feel.

I've also spent some time catching up with PRIDE. In a perfect world, PRIDE and WCW would have survived. It's a damn shame both companies don't exist in today's world.

[quote name='cdubb1605']List of categories and nominees for Slammys:

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe...nees_For_Monday_s_Slammy_Awards_RAW_Show.html[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see Batista win "Meltdown of the Year", return, and cut a great promo. But that's not going to happen.

[quote name='mykevermin']Are you saying that in the sense of that's how it will be written, or that's what you want it to be?[/QUOTE]

My tastes in what I want from WWE have changed. I want what Michael Cole provides to the shows: Favoritism to some talent, hilarious banter with Matt Striker and Josh Matthews, and decent storytelling.

Sure, Cole is overproduced and spouts the stupid, fed lines he receives concerning things like the Bellas and Danielson, but he is the heart of WWE's commentary. Remove him from the picture, and disqualify CM Punk because he's a temporary commentator, and WWE's commentary is in a bad situation. Matthews, Jerry Lawler, Todd Grisham, and Striker work best with Cole. Michael Cole is the sports entertainment version of Joey Styles.

Hmm. I've long argues for a need for a 'heel' announcer. Don West tried, but was simply unconvincing in the role. I'm ok with Michael Cole picking on wrestlers, but the problem with Cole is twofold:

1) He's the play-by-play guy. When he goes heel, Lawler remains in his wisecracking dirty old man (excuse me, 'color guy') role, and Punk just adds a lethal dose of smarm to the commentary. By making Cole a character, they have three people in the booth, none of whom are talking about what is going on in the ring. Not that Cole did a heck of a lot of that to begin with, but I digress.

2) He's a tweener. He is a shameless homer for Miz, and only digs at Daniel Bryan as far as I can tell. That's not the proper heel commentator role - someone we can count on to make the viewer hate characters we're supposed to hate that much more, and embrace our heroes. Get him to embrace Nexus and dump on Cena. Imagine your average twenty-something male smart mark viewer listening to Cole shit on Cena; they'd have to choose between defending/embracing Cena or liking Michael Cole! Ha!

Wrestling announcers don't work for me the way it should; hype matches, anticipate upcoming events, etc. It fails remarkably in achieving what it is supposed to do. There is no announcer of the year, IMO, as long as the announcing has lost its way as a device for pitching the program, the wrestlers, and the PPVs.

I'm sorta surprised Danielson's dive into the side of the announce table against Jericho on NXT isn't a choice for anything. I remember when i watched that I was like OH SHIT!!!

[quote name='mykevermin']Are you saying that in the sense of that's how it will be written, or that's what you want it to be?[/QUOTE]
That's how it'll be written. I'd like for Striker to win, but then again it's not like these really mean anything.

That's a fair assessment. I think my perception of pro wrestling has changed since 2005, the year I started loving MMA. Commentators like Matt Striker, and CM Punk, have a high value of importance in WWE. They have the perfect balance of detailing what happens in the ring, relating in-ring action with stories, and referencing history.

I like how Joe Rogan has made every effort to learn every aspect of MMA. Experience is important, and that is one reason why CM Punk is so good as a commentator. I also appreciate how Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan call fights, and think they approach is applicable to modern-day WWE.

Now, what Goldberg and Rogan do is nothing new to pro wrestling. It's what Joey Styles did in ECW, CM Punk and Matt Striker do in WWE, and Mike Tenay and Tony Schiavone did in WCW. They call the action, reference a worker's history, notable stories, and offer commentary about the worker's future. In addition, they promote advertisers and future events.

It's pro wrestling basics. Have Michael Cole do general commentary, Striker do play-by-play, and toss in Josh Matthews for inside jokes and to play off of. For a different show, replace Matthews with Grisham. Then, for NXT, have Striker, Matthews, and Grisham do the work. Superstars gets Lawler and whoever wants to do it that week. Simple!

The real problem with WWE is Vince McMahon and everyone who agrees with how Vince produces his commentators. He wants his current product to live in a bubble. Vince's idea of how to handle his product shares similarities with fascism. Vince apparently wants his product to have no relation to history and, according to reports, terrorizes his commentators to follow his command. I would love to ask Vince McMahon why he seems to want to disassociate modern-day WWE from its history, and if he thinks referencing WWE's history is embarrassing.

[quote name='mykevermin']Hmm. I've long argues for a need for a 'heel' announcer. Don West tried, but was simply unconvincing in the role. I'm ok with Michael Cole picking on wrestlers, but the problem with Cole is twofold:

1) He's the play-by-play guy. When he goes heel, Lawler remains in his wisecracking dirty old man (excuse me, 'color guy') role, and Punk just adds a lethal dose of smarm to the commentary. By making Cole a character, they have three people in the booth, none of whom are talking about what is going on in the ring. Not that Cole did a heck of a lot of that to begin with, but I digress.

2) He's a tweener. He is a shameless homer for Miz, and only digs at Daniel Bryan as far as I can tell. That's not the proper heel commentator role - someone we can count on to make the viewer hate characters we're supposed to hate that much more, and embrace our heroes. Get him to embrace Nexus and dump on Cena. Imagine your average twenty-something male smart mark viewer listening to Cole shit on Cena; they'd have to choose between defending/embracing Cena or liking Michael Cole! Ha!

Wrestling announcers don't work for me the way it should; hype matches, anticipate upcoming events, etc. It fails remarkably in achieving what it is supposed to do. There is no announcer of the year, IMO, as long as the announcing has lost its way as a device for pitching the program, the wrestlers, and the PPVs.[/QUOTE]

That's a fair assessment. I think my perception of pro wrestling has changed since 2005, the year I started loving MMA. Commentators like Matt Striker, and CM Punk, have a high value of importance in WWE. They have the perfect balance of detailing what happens in the ring, relating in-ring action with stories, and referencing history.

I like how Joe Rogan has made every effort to learn every aspect of MMA. Experience is important, and that is one reason why CM Punk is so good as a commentator. I also appreciate how Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan call fights, and think their approach is applicable to modern-day WWE.

Now, what Goldberg and Rogan do is nothing new to pro wrestling. It's what Joey Styles did in ECW, CM Punk and Matt Striker do in WWE, and Mike Tenay and Tony Schiavone did in WCW. They call the action, reference a worker's history, notable stories, and offer commentary about the worker's future. In addition, they promote advertisers and future events.

It's pro wrestling basics. Have Michael Cole do general commentary, Striker do play-by-play, and toss in Josh Matthews for inside jokes and to play off of. For a different show, replace Matthews with Grisham. Then, for NXT, have Striker, Matthews, and Grisham do the work. Superstars gets Lawler and whoever wants to do it that week. Simple!

The real problem with WWE is Vince McMahon and everyone who agrees with how Vince produces his commentators. He wants his current product to live in a bubble. Vince's idea of how to handle his product shares similarities with fascism. Vince apparently wants his product to have no relation to history and, according to reports, terrorizes his commentators to follow his command. I would love to ask Vince McMahon why he seems to want to disassociate modern-day WWE from its history, and if he thinks referencing WWE's history is embarrassing.

[quote name='Mr. Beef'].......... then again it's not like these really mean anything.[/QUOTE]

owenhart014.jpg

When they "meant" something.

[quote name='Chronis']I'm sorta surprised Danielson's dive into the side of the announce table against Jericho on NXT isn't a choice for anything. I remember when i watched that I was like OH SHIT!!![/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TcXNPGol8

Skip to around 2:07. It's up there with Benoit's tope suicida overshoot against Booker T.

That Michael Cole entrance video was funny. Does the WWE often have often have network logos such as SyFy present in their official entrance videos?

Raw is in NO tonight. I missed the house show last night (literally drove RIGHT PAST IT and forgot tonight was the night because they had signs up for hockey from Sat night)

I could get a good ticket for 45 dollars.....knowing how the Dome is, I wouldn't be complaining basically.

Now, do I wanna make that hour drive after work and pay 45 dollars....?

Should I? It will be the Slammy's! But then again....it's Raw...

[quote name='strongpimphand']Raw is in NO tonight. I missed the house show last night (literally drove RIGHT PAST IT and forgot tonight was the night because they had signs up for hockey from Sat night)

I could get a good ticket for 45 dollars.....knowing how the Dome is, I wouldn't be complaining basically.

Now, do I wanna make that hour drive after work and pay 45 dollars....?

Should I? It will be the Slammy's! But then again....it's Raw...[/QUOTE]

I'd go... ya never know could be a memorable show that years later you get to say "I was there!!"

[quote name='sykotek']That Michael Cole entrance video was funny. Does the WWE often have often have network logos such as SyFy present in their official entrance videos?[/QUOTE]

No. The Cole video is fan made.

[quote name='Spyder187']In a totally unrealated to Micheal Cole's awesome new intro video package, I saw this a few minutes ago and had to say wtf..... I guess the 90's were really a bad time for hair and original gimmicks in wrestling. The comments about "Is that Sting's older brother" were right on par for what I was thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfFSim2_g7k&feature=player_detailpage[/QUOTE]

That reminds me: yesterday Cracked posted an article that'll take most of us down the Memory Lane of terrible gimmicks: http://www.cracked.com/article_1891...onally-depressing-pro-wrestling-gimmicks.html

I didn't realize Chavo was carrying on a family tradition by wearing that riduculous eagle suit. Be proud, familia Guerrero, be very proud.

I could have gone the rest of my life without realizing Phantasio existed but I read that article. We all make mistakes.

[quote name='Blackout']Just go. 45 bucks ain't too bad.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I'd go... ya never know could be a memorable show that years later you get to say "I was there!!"[/QUOTE]

Yea I just bought that ticket....because it's a few rows literally from being on the floor and it's DIRT cheap in comparision to stubhub

....Now...the hard part is going to be convincing my project manager to let me leave 30 mins early since the drive will be about an hour and a half and I get off at 5...:cold:

[quote name='Purple Flames']That reminds me: yesterday Cracked posted an article that'll take most of us down the Memory Lane of terrible gimmicks: http://www.cracked.com/article_1891...onally-depressing-pro-wrestling-gimmicks.html[/QUOTE]

Hey! I actually liked Roadkill. It's not like ECW had silly skits featuring Roadkill back at his village. Yes, it was random, but worse than the Shockmaster (which they didn't even put on their list)? I say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back