The Civil War Comic Book Discussion Thread

What's wrong with Marvel?
Most of the more important, and more interesting things going on in Civil War are going on in books that are not titled "Civil War".

At least with DC, you only REALLY needed to read IC to follow along and not miss out on a TON. I understand the idea of a mega-event, and how you'd want it to cross-over to multiple titles, but it's annoying to not know where the more interesting/important stuff is without buying everything and/or reading a bunch of "meh" stuff in the crossover titles.

I disagree Sweeney. I have yet to purchase a crossover and regret it. Each book offers up just enough twist or parallel view that im satisfied. ANd many if not all show you a little more story wise than you would of ever of picked up from the main title. SO far (beside the month delay) this has gone off with amazing timing with the writers AND artists and has produced one interesting and compelling read that im so glad I got to be a part of.

Like I've said, the only tie-in I absolutely hated was She-Hulk. It was so pointless. Everything else has been, for the most part, great. And I've picked up EVERY tie-in so far.

[quote name='karsh']Like I've said, the only tie-in I absolutely hated was She-Hulk. It was so pointless. Everything else has been, for the most part, great. And I've picked up EVERY tie-in so far.[/quote]

OK you got me there... I totally forgot about she hulk.... that was a steaming pile. So much so i dont even count it as part of the tie ins....

So what'd people pick up this week? I ended up with:

52 Week 24
Fables Special Edition 1
Civil War: X-Men 4
Ms. Marvel 8
Runaways 21
Cable and Deadpool 33
Ultimate Fantastic Four 35

and Union Jack 2 for my friend. My other friend picked up Wolverine, X-Factor and Fantastick Four 2. Can't wait to get to read through all this.

I got

52 Week 24
Runaways #21
Wolverine #47
X-factor #12
X-men: First Class #2
X-men: Civil War #4
Anita Blake #1
Flash #5
Robin #155
Ms. Marvel #8

Okay. Quick question about this week. For Wolverine 47,

Who is Miriam? I feel like I'm missing something but I'm just not sure who she is. So any help would be great.

[quote name='karsh']Okay. Quick question about this week. For Wolverine 47,

Who is Miriam? I feel like I'm missing something but I'm just not sure who she is. So any help would be great.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, I was reading this issue and was like WTF, did I miss an issue or something.

Got our answer by re-reading the first couple issues of Civil War. Miriam is Miriam Sharpe, the mother who came to Goliath's funeral and gave Tony the Iron Man figure. I also believe she was the one who spit in Tony's face.

Okay. I can add another comic to my list of comics I definitely need to read more of. After reading Fables 1, I definitely wanna start reading more of it. Hot damn that was an interesting issue. Guess I can start getting caught up in that now like I did with Y: The Last Man.

EDIT: Also, I think I can officially bump Layla up to my third favorite character in X-Factor. I was laughing so hard at what she did in 12. It was genius. And the more I read Pro-Registration tie-ins, the more I consider how much of a dick that side is. You'll understand when you read Ms. Marvel. The more I read these tie-ins, the more I wonder what happened to showing us both sides of the story. The Pro-Reg side is acting more and more like Nazi soldiers, going "It's the law so it must be right."

So, what'd people get this week?

I ended up getting:

New Avengers 24
Civil War Choosing Sides
Captain America 23
Heroes for Hire 3
52 Week 25
X-Men 192
Ultimate Spider-Man 101
Nextwave 9

Haven't gotten a chance to read anything yet though. That'll be for later tonight.

Heros For Hire 3 was pretty much greatness for me at the start. Really like the curveball they through to explain the end of the last issue.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']November 15th[/QUOTE]
Damn, why is it taking so long? When will the last one come out?

Right now, I believe the schedule for the last three issues of Civil War should look like this:

Civil War #5 = November 15
Civil War #6 = December 20
Civil War #7 = January 17

While I really believe in giving people time to make things good, and that books done rapidly and poorly are bad forever, it bugs me that this ALWAYS seems to happen with Marvel titles and events.

I hope it finishes out well, because so far, the main book has been pretty painfully mediocre.
(Many of the other crossovers books however, have been pretty good)

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']Right now, I believe the schedule for the last three issues of Civil War should look like this:

Civil War #5 = November 15
Civil War #6 = December 20
Civil War #7 = January 17[/QUOTE]
Thanx. My b/f wants to read this serious (as a long time Marvel/comic book nerd), but he wants to do it all together. There goes the idea of a Christmas present :whistle2:(

[quote name='JSweeney']While I really believe in giving people time to make things good, and that books done rapidly and poorly are bad forever, it bugs me that this ALWAYS seems to happen with Marvel titles and events.[/QUOTE]
Ah, you mean like a video game? Now I understand ;)

Hey guys, after SEVEN YEARS Planetary is finally coming to a end. That's right, issue #1 came out in 1999 and issue #26 just came out a few days ago. I believe there will be a #27 epilogue and then it'll be over. I was almost expecting the series to be cancelled or the writer to die before getting the chance to finish. Once #27 comes out I'm going to read through the whole series in one sitting. The ending will probably have more of a impact that way.

I just read Civil War 1-3 for the first time and I have a question:

is there 2 spider-mans? one with old school costume and one with Tony Stark costume, or are they both the same and he just switches costumes for the hell of it

It's the same Spider-man. Their's a reason why he switches costumes, which you'll find out about by reading the most recent issue of Amazing Spider-Man, or the next issue of Civil War. Also, he'll be switching into another classic costume in a few months.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']
It's the same Spider-man. Their's a reason why he switches costumes, which you'll find out about by reading the most recent issue of Amazing Spider-Man, or the next issue of Civil War. Also, he'll be switching into another classic costume in a few months.
[/quote]

i did hear that the black suit is coming back, can't wait. Thanks for clearing this up. Might have to start getting the Amazing Spider-Man comics too then.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
i did hear that the black suit is coming back, can't wait. Thanks for clearing this up. Might have to start getting the Amazing Spider-Man comics too then.
[/quote]

Wait. That means he has to rebond with the symbiote, right? There's a history that goes along with that look, and to completely dismiss it just flips a huge middle finger to continuity. I mean, "just cause it looks cool and might sell a few books" doesn't seem like a good idea. I mean, look how "Spider Armor" with the holofoil cover went over... and that didn't have a long history like the symbiote suit.

Yea... I'm wondering that too. Methinks they are desperate for sales and this is a pretty good way to get some readers to come back.

I remember when Superman became electric Superman :rofl:

I think Spider-Man choosing to go back to the black suit is gonna actually make a lot of sense the way things are spiraling out of control for Spidey in Civil War. I wouldn't be surprised to see MJ or Aunt May bite the bullet by the end due to Pete's decision to reveal himself as Spider-Man. That could easily cause him to spiral into a pit of depression due to it basically being his fault for giving into Tony and him ending up with the Symbiote returning to him.

Geez, how old is Aunt May now? 110? I remember some old comics when she was in a coma from having a stroke or heart attack or something... I'm surprised she's still around.

Spidey is awesome, fuck that the guy who bailed Spidey's ass out, he is awesome. That is one bad ass dude. Glad to see him finally picking a side. I was major comic book geek when I saw that. All three civil war titles this week were great.

But Tony becoming the head of Shield. No way, he can't hold Nick Fury's cigar much less take his place.

I believe it was
Danny that they "caught" considering I swear I heard that Matt's current arc where he's in Europe is happening during CW so he'll have nothing to do with CW besides Danny Rand being Daredevil. But yeah, I can't wait to see him kick some ass in the prison since the cell will be built for Daredevil but he's really Iron Fist.

As for the rest of the tie ins, I really liked them. Iron Man was the first time Tony didn't seem like a complete and utter dick. It was the first time I actually felt we were seeing both sides of the story like Marvel promised us.
As for Tony maybe taking over SHIELD: He may not hold a cigar to Nick, but quite frankly, he'd be a step towards Nick compared to Maria. What was that, the first time she's ever done something somewhat cool and badass in New Avengers this week?

[quote name='karsh']I believe it was
Danny that they "caught" considering I swear I heard that Matt's current arc where he's in Europe is happening during CW so he'll have nothing to do with CW besides Danny Rand being Daredevil. But yeah, I can't wait to see him kick some ass in the prison since the cell will be built for Daredevil but he's really Iron Fist.

As for the rest of the tie ins, I really liked them. Iron Man was the first time Tony didn't seem like a complete and utter dick. It was the first time I actually felt we were seeing both sides of the story like Marvel promised us.
As for Tony maybe taking over SHIELD: He may not hold a cigar to Nick, but quite frankly, he'd be a step towards Nick compared to Maria. What was that, the first time she's ever done something somewhat cool and badass in New Avengers this week?
[/quote]

True I will give you that, hell he can't be much worse.

So, what'd you get this week? My store only got half his shipments today so the rest should be there Friday. That said, I picked up:

Civil War: Front Line 8
Amazing Spider-Man 536
Punisher War Journal 1
52 Week 29
Wonder Woman 3
Heroes for Hire 4

My friend got:
Wolverine 48
Daredevil 91

I have to say, Punisher is slowly becoming one of my favorite characters the more I read. He absolutely owned in War Journal. Can't wait for Friday though. Gonna pick up Ultimate Spider-Man 102, Runaways, and Nextwave while my friend gets X-Factor. This is another absolutely awesome week. Spidey's tie-in was great also, though I'm intrigued by its notes to read CW5 and 6.

I picked up:

Wolverine #48
sucked, but Ramos draws Wolverine so damn amazingly. Hella sad to see him go.
Ultimate Spider-man #102
Amazing Spider-man #536
Punisher War Journal #1

That Punisher was pretty sweet.. Not really digging the art too much but the comic is a lot better than I thought it'd be.

So I picked up Ultimate Spider-Man 102 and Runaways 22. USM continues to be an absolute mind-fuck the more I read it. I absolutely love the way the Clone Saga is heading. But Runaways might have to be my favorite book this week. It was absolutely amazing. A complete turn-around from the last arc. And that ending was not what I expected at all.
I have to say I don't fully expect Chase to kill Nico. This is Vaughn we're talking about and his love for twist endings. Though I did find it hilarious to watch Molly whupping Xavin in Risk.
Xavin and Vic have officially grown on me to the point where it's not Runaways without them.

[quote name='red flare graf']I picked up:

Wolverine #48
sucked, but Ramos draws Wolverine so damn amazingly. Hella sad to see him go.
Ultimate Spider-man #102
Amazing Spider-man #536
Punisher War Journal #1

That Punisher was pretty sweet.. Not really digging the art too much but the comic is a lot better than I thought it'd be.[/QUOTE]

I'm kinda glad the Wolverine epilogue went the way it did because it doesn't pull you right into another story so I can take that back off my list of titles to get.

[quote name='karsh']So I picked up Ultimate Spider-Man 102 and Runaways 22. USM continues to be an absolute mind-fuck the more I read it. I absolutely love the way the Clone Saga is heading. But Runaways might have to be my favorite book this week. It was absolutely amazing. A complete turn-around from the last arc. And that ending was not what I expected at all.
I have to say I don't fully expect Chase to kill Nico. This is Vaughn we're talking about and his love for twist endings. Though I did find it hilarious to watch Molly whupping Xavin in Risk.
Xavin and Vic have officially grown on me to the point where it's not Runaways without them.[/quote]

I was honestly afraid when I heard Ultimate Spidey was going to do a Clone Arc. I remember how big of a cluster fuck the regualr clone arc was. I have to admit, I am pleased with it so far.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Still not impressed, but I like how they
got Daredevil/Iron Fist (which one?) into the negative zone... ass kicking from the inside!
[/quote]

"Now you have 31 pieces of Silver."

So I didn't get out today cause I've been too caught up in studying for my test Friday. Regardless, what'd everyone else get? This looks like a pretty interesting week. I can't wait to read Cap and 52.

In other news, I was bored and my friend let me read the first two issues of Hatter M. Damn is that an awesome comic. I absolutely love Hatter.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
[/quote]

How in the heck is that possible since Venom/Scorpion has the symb suit?

A bit off topic, Check out what I ordered.

7178_press07-001.jpg

:bouncy: :D

Civil War #6 and #7 to get pushed back 2 weeks

Marvel Comics has confirmed for Newsarama that the on-sale date of Civil War #6 has been moved to January 3rd, two weeks later than the previously announced on-sale date of December 20th, given when Marvel originally informed retailers and readers issues #4-6 of the mega-selling limited series would not ship on their originally solicited dates, along with the necessary delays of Civil War related tie-in titles timed to the release of the main mini-series.

Marvel also informed Newsarama that Civil War #7, originally solicited after the announced delays of issues #4-6 for a 1/17/07 on-sale, will remain on January’s schedule and is now scheduled for a 1/31 release.

Unlike the previous schedule changes, these changes do not affect many Civil War tie-in issues. Only Punisher War Journal #2 will be delayed one week until January 3rd, to time it to the release of Civil War #6.

Amazing Spider-Man #538 and Fantastic Four #543 though announced in Marvel’s August press release about the shipping delays as going on sale 1/24, were actually subsequently originally solicited for a January 31st release, and those dates have not been affected.

As to the question of why this two week delay, according to Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada,

“The decision to delay Civil War #6 was both a strategic and cautious decision on our part.

“First, let me say that all the materials are still coming in on schedule, but [series artist] Steve [McNiven] has come down with a very severe case of strep throat,” Quesada told Newsarama Thursday morning, which was later confirmed by the artist himself. “However, even with the strep, he's persevered and is still producing a page a day. So, while Steve's impaired health hasn't caused any delays, we felt that with something like strep, it would be best to buffer the schedule a tad in case he wises up and decides to put his head down for a couple of days.

“The second and most important reason we moved the book two weeks (rather than just one) is because we heard from our retail partners that if they had their way, they would preferred that issue #6 ship in January as opposed to the last week of December, which is traditionally not a great time for comics retailers. So, putting all of these things into the mix, we figured two weeks was a smart thing to do.”

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=92680

Considering it's strep throat, I'm perfectly fine with them delaying 6 and 7 to be sure that McNiven is fine. This gives him a little more time to do the art, even if he's been doing a page a day with strep.

So I've started reading Civil War (finally) in anticipation of it wrapping up soon. The main series (issues 1 & 2) has been extremely light on what's happening with Cap as a resistance member. Does more of this part of the story take place in one of the limited series? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

bread's done
Back