The Declining Value Of Your College Degree...

Education isn't necessarily all about getting a job, granted that's how i usually justify it. Many people here could use a college english lesson or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
They definitely getting devalued in many fields. If your application is setting there with 50 other people who all have bachelor's degrees it really isn't going to make any difference that you have a degree. Will come more down to the quality of your resume (experience, whether you went to a top school, GPA etc.) to get an interview, then it's the quality of your interview that will play the biggest part. Of course, who you know is often the biggest factor.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry as I have a bachelor's, Master's and soon a Ph D and have good contacts in my field so I shouldn't have any problems.

[quote name='JolietJake']Education is necessarily all about getting a job, granted that's how i usually justify it. Many people here could us e a college english lesson or two.[/QUOTE]

ayup.

Education? BWAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, don't get one unless you know exactly what you want to do.

Even if you do know exactly what you want to do, see if you can start a job in the field before committing any time or money to an education.

If you like the field, your employer might pay for you to upgrade your skills with education or experience might trump any education.

If you can't stand the field, quit and find another racket.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I'm an engineer, and between my grades and the fact that I'm finally getting some experience with the internship I've got now, I'm not too worried at the moment. :)[/quote]

No worries about being an engineer. The engineering community (civil, environmental, electrical, mechanical, etc) is in need of new hires. Unfortunately, it was talked up so much as I went through school that I have expected to get an offer at my first interview. I almost did and several of my buddies did, but it shouldn't be expected. In any case, just apply to as many openings as you can. Related experience will get you the job faster than a higher degree. Also be sure to stress you're status as an EIT if you've passed the FE exam.

To weigh in slightly on the liberal arts (i.e. English) degrees, my wife is a technical writer and there is always work available for her as a freelancer. I think for the most part these degrees are getting absorbed into the technical ones. For example, about 25 percent of my required classes were basic English and technical-writing. Judging from the writing abilities of my peers, I'd have to say it's necessary.

[quote name='jesta2817']Out of curiosity, are any accounting majors out there planning on going for their masters?

A lot of the firms that I've interviewed for ask me that question. My original plan was to go part-time while working but it seems like a lot of places want me to get my CPA before I work for them.[/QUOTE]

I am not going for my masters, as I will have enough credit hours to get my CPA without it. The major reason people go for their masters in accounting is to get enough credit hours for the CPA.

In the case on the story from the original post....it isn't loss of jobs that's hurting this woman, it's the fact that the government is doing everything it can to cut the competition for those jobs.

H1-B......that's the problem. They are letting people in to do these high tech jobs to help out businesses, rather then make the market competitive and force companies to bring their people up or train someone.

The Republicans say they are for the free market & against immigration, but not when it comes to the labor market.

Many Democrats support it cause they get alot of their money from technology related companies.

Either way, the technical/professional workers in America get screwed.

I make a real good salary, especially for the area I live in (it would be livable but not quite as much in NY or San Francisco). With that said, it has just got back to what I was making in the Tech Boom....the Internet Boom. If they keep dumping H1B workers into the market....it's going to get worse though.

That's what pisses me off, the damn worker visas. I remember Bill Gates saying not long ago that there was a lack of qualified tech workers, that's bullshit. The truth is, they like hiring H1-B workers because they're cheaper. They can do the job just as well and will work for far less than an American would. This by the way, is just fucking wonderful for our economy. The American economy is based largely on consumer spending, how the fuck can consumers spend money when they've lost their jobs to cheap foreign workers?

[quote name='Soodmeg']So I dropped completely out of college went to a broadcasting school and now I work almost non stop. When everyone swore up and down that not having a degree would cripple me. I beat out people with 4 year degrees all the time because I have something they dont....proven experience. I was and will always be a firm believer in if you truly know your shit then people can not help but to hire you for things.

But degrees are fine to. You just have to really find out if your profession really truly needs a degree. I think a lot of people are just pressured to get a degree.[/quote]

I'm glad to hear that things have worked out for you. I agree that it depends on the field. For myself, I've worked as a chemist in a large pharmaceutical company. To even be considered for an interview, you need to have a bachelor's degree in a science-related field (e.g., bio, biochem, chem) from an accredited university. Since I've participated as a member of the interview panel, we look for things that set a candidate head and shoulders above the others (such as communication skills, professional experience, etc.). Since every candidate who is called for the interview has met the minimum requirement of a college degree, whoever makes the best impression during the interview will have the best chance of being hired. But without a degree, no one even gets an interview at my company.

[quote name='ivanctorres']
College degrees aren't worth what they once were because more people have them. I think if you have the opportunity it would be wise to get an advanced degree to seperate you from the pack with bachelors degrees.[/quote]

I agree. It seems like having a bachelor's in the pharmaceutical industry where I work is the expected minimum. A high school diploma just doesn't cut it anymore. A bachelor's these days are a dime a dozen. Even my lab director advised me to get an advanced degree to move up in the industry. That is why I'm currently pursuing my master's degree. I started as a laboratory technician and worked my way up to a senior chemist. What's next is to be a principal chemist or a lab manager. I could put in my time as a senior chemist, but I think having a master's will give me a better chance of getting the promotion, sooner than later. What's a better impression than working full-time and earning an advanced degree?

[quote name='ZForce']I have a Bachelor's in Broadcast Journalism, but had no other experience out of college, I eventually wound up in a commissioned retail sales job where I made fairly decent money, but the busy season hours were ridiculous and there was a lot of BS and politics that went on there because it was mainly a good ol' boy network so to speak. Myself and another co-worker were let go because we called them on their BS (although they promised us numerous times things would get better, but must have decided it was easier to get rid of us than it would be to fix problems)

So I've been searching for a job since, which has been very difficult (I found a temp job for a month through a staffing service which was also retail based) I've made the decision to go back to school for a graduate degree in Accounting, so that I have an actual employable skill rather than just a general degree that doesn't help much. I have to spend a year or so taking some foundation courses for the Master's Program (The school I am going to offers two MAsters programs in accounting, one for people who have a degree in something else, then a Professional Accounting degree for people who have an Acct. degree and want to meet the requirements for the CPA exam, although both programs qualify you to take the exam) I figure once I get the basic courses out of the way too, I can at least start looking for some entry level accounting jobs while I continue to go to school at night for the MAster's[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. I graduated in May with a BA in Print Journalism from a relatively good school and I've still been unable to find work. I'm still looking but I'm starting to think that a degree in Journalism didn't really give me any "marketable skills." I mean everyone can write. I don't know it's been a few months since I've been job searching and my morale has slowly been declining.

But I have to say. I think a college degree has lost it's value because so many people have started going to college. Me and my friends are always saying that undergrad is like the new high school and grad school is now like what college used to be.

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']I know how you feel. I graduated in May with a BA in Print Journalism from a relatively good school and I've still been unable to find work. I'm still looking but I'm starting to think that a degree in Journalism didn't really give me any "marketable skills." I mean everyone can write. I don't know it's been a few months since I've been job searching and my morale has slowly been declining.

But I have to say. I think a college degree has lost it's value because so many people have started going to college. Me and my friends are always saying that undergrad is like the new high school and grad school is now like what college used to be.[/quote]
If throwing money at a problem doesn't work, throw more money at it.

Depends on the area, TN has one of the lowest instances of college grads in the country, i figure i at least have that going for me.

I just finished college, but no job. Part of my problem is that I cannot get a job without a license. My other problem is that many jobs ask for more experience than I have.

When searching for jobs a few minutes ago, only ONE was entry level in my area, but it requires you to drive around and travel 10% of the time. But in some ways, it seems like I need to get a Master's (I'm an Electrical Engineer).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I just finished college, but no job. Part of my problem is that I cannot get a job without a license. My other problem is that many jobs ask for more experience than I have.

When searching for jobs a few minutes ago, only ONE was entry level in my area, but it requires you to drive around and travel 10% of the time. But in some ways, it seems like I need to get a Master's (I'm an Electrical Engineer).[/quote]

I empathize with your situation. It's the typical "How will I get experience while I'm studying full time to earn my degree?" I got lucky - I was able to find an entry level job right after college and work my way up. Regarding not having a license, have you thought of taking the test to earn the license and increase your chances of getting a job?

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']I know how you feel. I graduated in May with a BA in Print Journalism from a relatively good school and I've still been unable to find work. I'm still looking but I'm starting to think that a degree in Journalism didn't really give me any "marketable skills." I mean everyone can write. I don't know it's been a few months since I've been job searching and my morale has slowly been declining.

But I have to say. I think a college degree has lost it's value because so many people have started going to college. Me and my friends are always saying that undergrad is like the new high school and grad school is now like what college used to be.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly recommend teaching. You can reap the rewards of solid benefits while searching for a better job. Heck, it's what I'm doing. Hahaha... :oops:

Accounting may be great and all but almost all recruited positions require high GPAs. Otherwise most firms won't even talk to you. That's why I've been stuck in a despite having one of the supposed best degrees in business. I desperately want a job and have been searching everywhere.

DoK, when your term or semester starts, stay the hell away from here. Heck, I'd leave all my game systems at home if I were you. All the firms recruit people as early as junior year, but you do get another shot senior year.

Also, I had fun in college and don't regret it. I'm happy for everyone who managed find success without going to college. We get it. But can we all please stop shitting on everybody who went to or is in college? All the people I hung out with in high school dropped out, but I'm not lecturing or bashing their choices in life. I'd like the same courtesy here.

[quote name='DQT']Also, I had fun in college and don't regret it. I'm happy for everyone who managed find success without going to college. We get it. But can we all please stop shitting on everybody who went to or is in college? All the people I hung out with in high school dropped out, but I'm not lecturing or bashing their choices in life. I'd like the same courtesy here.[/quote]

I, too, had fun in college. Although I was a science major, I enjoyed taking classes in the humanities and social sciences. I think if I had never gone to college, my view of the world would be more limited. I was able to meet students from diverse groups - cultures, religions, political viewpoints, etc. Also, my experience in molecular bio research under a great and caring professor was priceless. For example, reading about "DNA" in a high school bio class is no substitute for actually mapping the genetic code of a specimen in the laboratory! :D

I hate articles like this because they treat all diplomas as if they're equal, without focusing on GPA, rigor, or extracurrics.

Just any old degree in most majors means nothing to employers because they're super easy to get, the only thing it means is you had the money to go to college. It's what you did in college, your class ranking, etc, that matters.

If you have a 3.2 in English, you're probably no more qualified for whatever job you're applying for than some burger jockey at McDonald's. Most people in college are irresponsible, they party when they should be studying, etc -- to be average amongst those peers is not anything that should make you an attractive applicant. Hell, the average college student is no better a prospective employee than the average McDonald's employee. Simply getting a degree is nothing to respect, and nothing for an employer to desire.

However, undergrad is a great opportunity to distinguish yourself if you are deserving. It's essentially an opportunity to show prospective employers that you can work hard, manage your time, and have a clear understanding of your life's priorities.

Any intelligent, mature, dedicated student is likely to either be at a top university or at the top of their class, and for those students, employment prospects are golden.

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']I mean everyone can write. I don't know it's been a few months since I've been job searching and my morale has slowly been declining.[/quote]

There will more than likely be no crossover between our professions, but one of the key things we were told when we were going for our Bachelors of Fine Arts (Music) was that if you wanted a job in performance ("Good luck, only 4% of you will get one of those lucrative jobs!") you put yourself out there for every single audition. If you don't make it, keep on going. The way that most people finally make it is because each attempt strengthens their overall skills (in this case, auditions, but in your case interviewing techniques) and because so many people get dejected after the first few "no's" that they leave the field entirely.

Doesn't help much, but it's something to think about at least. My current job prospects aren't looking too wonderful but I keep on going. The worst that can happen is if I end up with nothing at all, and that will most assuredly happen if I give up rather than try.

< /Optimist > ;)

[quote name='Koggit']I hate articles like this because they treat all diplomas as if they're equal, without focusing on GPA, rigor, or extracurrics.

Just any old degree in most majors means nothing to employers because they're super easy to get, the only thing it means is you had the money to go to college. It's what you did in college, your class ranking, etc, that matters.

If you have a 3.2 in English, you're probably no more qualified for whatever job you're applying for than some burger jockey at McDonald's. Most people in college are irresponsible, they party when they should be studying, etc -- to be average amongst those peers is not anything that should make you an attractive applicant. Hell, the average college student is no better a prospective employee than the average McDonald's employee. Simply getting a degree is nothing to respect, and nothing for an employer to desire.

However, undergrad is a great opportunity to distinguish yourself if you are deserving. It's essentially an opportunity to show prospective employers that you can work hard, manage your time, and have a clear understanding of your life's priorities.

Any intelligent, mature, dedicated student is likely to either be at a top university or at the top of their class, and for those students, employment prospects are golden.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree. College degrees aren't created equal, especially when it's a buyer's market. If they did a similar article showing at Ivy league grads in the same boat, then they would have a point.

With the increased market for employment world wide and with college graduate rates increasing in China, India, etc... We can expect this just to get harder on graduates. It also depends a lot on your field whether addition education is needed or not. I'm a physics/math double major and most jobs in my field require a masters, at least. They choose an area which at this time has a large number of people coming in, if they would of looked at a biotechnology major coming out of a respected school they would of been amazed at there out of college salary.

Well, I got a bachelors in accounting, then went back and got a MBA with a Fiance focus.

Really, I think views on this are driven from how you grew up. I grew up in a middle class family, went to a school where 96% of people went on to college (and really, close to 100% since out of the 7 people who weren't going to college right after school, I know of 4 that went within 2 years of being out). From there, college grads seem like a dime a dozen, and most who coast through college are just as dumb as those that don't go.

Then, my wife and I moved to a city where the college rate is a bit lower. It's a nice city, but more working class, many people go to work right after. You hear every excuse, but in reality, your average college grad is a smarter person than the average that doesn't go (not speaking of that story of the one person who doesn't go, has a great business sense and makes it big, that isn't the average),

So, do you need college, I think yes. I also think you should plan to go further, the good paying jobs with advancement usually want a higher degree (at least in finance fields, which I know more about).

I also didn't view college as just what you learn in class. It's about juggling life outside with college, about fitting everything in. That's why, if I was a hiring manager, someone with a lower GPA, but went to night school while working would have an edge than the person who went the traditional route (though, for most of my undergrad, I went tradtional, night school my last year (that stretched 2 and then night for MBA). I think that shows more of an ability to juggle life with school, which is more important than life at work.

I'll admit, my job now, I could probably teach most high school grads to do it in 2 months, and they'd be fine. It's an accounting job, but outside of basic accounting, it isn't like it comes up every 5 minutes. But, you'd never even be looked at without a college degree, and my MBA is what put me over the top to get it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Now tell me I am not successful Mr. Guidance Consoler.[/quote]

Naw, your grasp of english conventions is just atrocious.

Thread related: I'm in medicine. Without a degree, you're not going to do well in a clinical setting. You'll likely be stuck with a CNA cert in the very least, and then you can enjoy wiping arse and cleaning up vomit for the rest of your life.

Having said that, it's a highly appreciated position by those of us higher on the pay grade, and someone has to do it.

[quote name='Koggit']I hate articles like this because they treat all diplomas as if they're equal, without focusing on GPA, rigor, or extracurrics.

Just any old degree in most majors means nothing to employers because they're super easy to get, the only thing it means is you had the money to go to college.[/quote]
If they were super easy to get, EVERYONE would have them. They require time, effort, and most importantly MONEY. That doesn't mean they require hard work and determination, but they do require the desire to do it.

If you have a 3.2 in English, you're probably no more qualified for whatever job you're applying for than some burger jockey at McDonald's.

Hell, the average college student is no better a prospective employee than the average McDonald's employee.
Which is just ridiculous to say. However, your comments make it a little more clear why you have this sort of outlook.

Most people in college are irresponsible, they party when they should be studying, etc -- to be average amongst those peers is not anything that should make you an attractive applicant. Simply getting a degree is nothing to respect, and nothing for an employer to desire.
Which isn't what the article is saying, but ties into it quite nicely. Too many people have college degrees and that makes it harder for everyone to find a job when there are fewer available.

Any intelligent, mature, dedicated student is likely to either be at a top university or at the top of their class, and for those students, employment prospects are golden.
Which is why I agree with the article. My friend graduated from the best non-ivy league school in the state with a 4.0 GPA in Business and Economics and did it in only 3 years. Where are the golden opportunities? He works for a local company because none of the bigger ones are hiring.

You either have lived a life of privilege, a sheltered naive one, or a combination of both. Getting a good job requires the pool of opportunities to grow larger if we increase the number of eligible people. That hasn't happened and that's what the article addresses.

Hard work isn't what gets you a good job unless you're coming from out of the country and there's a shortage of workers here whereas there's tons of trained people over there. Same works for the vice versa. Hard work won't even necessarily propel you upward if you get that good job.

People don't want to believe it because it cheapens the whole system and the belief that a good work ethic is paramount, but it's become more apparent recently that who you have connections with is most important. We've seen time and time again how easy it is for someone unqualified to get a good job or how qualifications can be faked for even CEO positions.

You know. For the last time. I dont really care about my typing skills on CAG. I type what I think and leave at that. I dont really proof read or make sure all my grammar is correct for you guys.

I have said this on many many occasions. Its just an internet gaming forum nothing more. Most of the time I see my mistake and simply dont care enough to fix them.

My grasp of English is fine....in real life where it actually matters. Before I dropped out of college to go to broadcasting school I had a 3.5 GPA and a 3.8 while in Broadcasting school. Which includes broadcast writing and journalism.

I am a pretty successful person in one of the hardest fields to get into. Making sure my grammar on a internet message board is sound proof is not even close to being on my radar.

[quote name='davo1224']If they were super easy to get, EVERYONE would have them. They require time, effort, and most importantly MONEY. That doesn't mean they require hard work and determination, but they do require the desire to do it.

Which is just ridiculous to say. However, your comments make it a little more clear why you have this sort of outlook.

Which isn't what the article is saying, but ties into it quite nicely. Too many people have college degrees and that makes it harder for everyone to find a job when there are fewer available.

Which is why I agree with the article. My friend graduated from the best non-ivy league school in the state with a 4.0 GPA in Business and Economics and did it in only 3 years. Where are the golden opportunities? He works for a local company because none of the bigger ones are hiring.

You either have lived a life of privilege, a sheltered naive one, or a combination of both. Getting a good job requires the pool of opportunities to grow larger if we increase the number of eligible people. That hasn't happened and that's what the article addresses.

Hard work isn't what gets you a good job unless you're coming from out of the country and there's a shortage of workers here whereas there's tons of trained people over there. Same works for the vice versa. Hard work won't even necessarily propel you upward if you get that good job.

People don't want to believe it because it cheapens the whole system and the belief that a good work ethic is paramount, but it's become more apparent recently that who you have connections with is most important. We've seen time and time again how easy it is for someone unqualified to get a good job or how qualifications can be faked for even CEO positions.[/quote]

Wow. Agreed to the fullest.

[quote name='davo1224']

[/quote]

He should have worked HARDER to get into the best IVY LEAGUE school in the WORLD and get a 4.0

:p

A college degree alone will not help you find a job. It's a combination of factors such as; job market, desirability of the degree, GPA, personality, who you know, summer internships, where you went to school, are you driven, work ethic, ability to work in a team/group setting, having a car and being able to drive, willing to travel, working long hours, outspoken, being a leader etc.

The issue is that people continue to think that a college degree guarantees a certain lifestyle but this is not the case anymore. If everyone has the same qualifications it is up to you to distinguish yourself from the competition.

Additionally, to all the people who claim that you do not need a college degree to get a job IMO you are wrong. Yes, you don't always need a college degree to get a job but to have a particular career more often than not a college degree is necessary. Furthermore, there is more to college than simply getting a degree, you are afforded endless opportunities, to broaden your knowledge and grow as a human being...plus all the partying doesn't hurt either ;-) .

In this world, it's who you know, not what you know, and people are going to have to realize that sooner or later. I do plan on going to college, but I'm still going to stick with my job at the government, probably forever. I want to try to use my degree, but chances of me finding a better job is slim to none. I'll only get about $30 an hour working for the government, but I get great benefits, a great pension plan and an easy work day. And with the government, I'm guaranteed not to lose my retirement like some of the lesser companies that can go out of business. Because the day that the government can't pay their pensions, is the day the whole country is in the shitter, so it won't matter anyway.

[quote name='chasemurata']I wholeheartedly recommend teaching. You can reap the rewards of solid benefits while searching for a better job. Heck, it's what I'm doing. Hahaha... :oops:[/QUOTE]

You know you're the second person that has told me to teach. One of my friends said I should try being a substitute teacher since the hours aren't too demanding and I will still have time to look for work. I may actually start considering it. Thanks!

[quote name='Kapwanil']There will more than likely be no crossover between our professions, but one of the key things we were told when we were going for our Bachelors of Fine Arts (Music) was that if you wanted a job in performance ("Good luck, only 4% of you will get one of those lucrative jobs!") you put yourself out there for every single audition. If you don't make it, keep on going. The way that most people finally make it is because each attempt strengthens their overall skills (in this case, auditions, but in your case interviewing techniques) and because so many people get dejected after the first few "no's" that they leave the field entirely.

Doesn't help much, but it's something to think about at least. My current job prospects aren't looking too wonderful but I keep on going. The worst that can happen is if I end up with nothing at all, and that will most assuredly happen if I give up rather than try.

< /Optimist > ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I really mean that. I do need to try and stay as optimistic as I can. I mean you're right the worst that can possibly happen is I stay in my current situation, which isn't the worst thing that could happen.

[quote name='davo1224']
My friend graduated from the best non-ivy league school in the state with a 4.0 GPA in Business and Economics and did it in only 3 years. Where are the golden opportunities? He works for a local company because none of the bigger ones are hiring.
[/QUOTE]

Depends on which state you're talking about.

One of the reasons why I didn't go to college right after HS was because I'm just so scared to waste all that time AND money and end up being like.. the head cashier at Target.

That shit scares the shit out of me :(

[quote name='davo1224']
[/QUOTE]

If your friend graduated in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA, sounds like he didn't do any internships or extracurricular activities of any worth, which, you know, people are looking for more than a 4.0 GPA. Employers look at your friend and think he is an antisocial closeted geek, which is exactly what people hiring business majors do NOT want. I am very antisocial myself, and have a 3.93 GPA at one of the top accounting schools in the nation, and plan on graduating in 4 years in a track that generally takes 5 years, but I actually took the time to get an internship and have some relevant extracurricular activities. And bitches are knocking on my door looking to hire me. Sounds like your friend didn't do his research before deciding to be a shut-in for 3 years instead of getting actual relevant experience that are what employers are REALLY looking for. If your friend's GPA suffered a little bit, but he had internships and some solid activities, I am certain things would be different for him.

LOL to whoever said biotech. Biotech is basically biology. The pay sucks.

[quote name='dopa345']Depends on which state you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Totally, in most states his description wouldn't even be a school in the top quartile.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']If your friend graduated in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA, sounds like he didn't do any internships or extracurricular activities of any worth, which, you know, people are looking for more than a 4.0 GPA. Employers look at your friend and think he is an antisocial closeted geek, which is exactly what people hiring business majors do NOT want. I am very antisocial myself, and have a 3.93 GPA at one of the top accounting schools in the nation, and plan on graduating in 4 years in a track that generally takes 5 years, but I actually took the time to get an internship and have some relevant extracurricular activities. And bitches are knocking on my door looking to hire me. Sounds like your friend didn't do his research before deciding to be a shut-in for 3 years instead of getting actual relevant experience that are what employers are REALLY looking for. If your friend's GPA suffered a little bit, but he had internships and some solid activities, I am certain things would be different for him.[/QUOTE]I actually tried to go that route. Didn't work out too well. ;) I kind of regret it, but I think my resume looks good enough, since I at least did work for a Professor and was a lab assistant.

[quote name='docvinh']People underestimate the importance of an internship, it's almost as important as your grades.[/QUOTE]I couldn't get one because of the lack of places in my hometown giving them out. And due to lack of transportation, I wasn't able to go elsewhere (I remember there were internships at my college being offered in Phoenix, AZ, but I had no way of getting there and transporting myself).

Let's see I got a BA in History 3.52 GPA, with 2 internships, had a few offers for history jobs b/c I searched long and hard and used connections from professors, from the college, from people I knew.

I decided against taking a job and went back to school for an English degree, I actually learned something this time. Got a 3.8 GPA, and applied for all sorts of jobs ended up with a sweet job in IT not related to my degrees.

So you got the Degree in General Studies cause you hit the booze a little too much. You know what employers care about, to many of them a college degree is a college degree. They want to know what you did in college. What were you involved in? Or did you sit around and do nothing, stay in and be antisocial.

Get involved, get an internship, use your connections, join a few clubs, get a part time job. For me being involved in a Fraternity, having leadership roles, working as a tech assistant, and writing for the paper, helped me get a few offers for jobs after college. To me, a degree looks good on paper and I'll get that English job over the guy that has a 3.5 GPA, but for me my experiences from college good and bad were way more useful.

Also know how to sell yourself in the interview even if you are a little under qualified.

Most people who are getting college degrees (like myself) have hard times getting jobs with their B.A. or B.S. is they don't have experience.

But...there's a secret called "internship"....shh...don't tell anyone...

All this insight into corporate America and the job market. Largely from people who aren't yet 25, it seems.

I thank God we're all still young enough to know everything.

On a less glib note, all the article really speaks to is the tremendous difficulty of predicting exactly what will be in demand a few decades from now, a fact which is no doubt going to get many of us screwed at some point.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']If your friend graduated in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA, sounds like he didn't do any internships or extracurricular activities of any worth, which, you know, people are looking for more than a 4.0 GPA. Employers look at your friend and think he is an antisocial closeted geek, which is exactly what people hiring business majors do NOT want. I am very antisocial myself, and have a 3.93 GPA at one of the top accounting schools in the nation, and plan on graduating in 4 years in a track that generally takes 5 years, but I actually took the time to get an internship and have some relevant extracurricular activities. And bitches are knocking on my door looking to hire me. Sounds like your friend didn't do his research before deciding to be a shut-in for 3 years instead of getting actual relevant experience that are what employers are REALLY looking for. If your friend's GPA suffered a little bit, but he had internships and some solid activities, I am certain things would be different for him.[/quote]

So if you're similar to him and got an internship what makes you think he didn't? :whistle2:s

Unless you're planning on going to law/med school, GPA is irrelevant. The only thing that my GPA even reflects on my resume is my "magna cum laude" along with my degree. No one in job interviews wants to hear about your GPA, they want to hear about your relevant experience in the field. Take internships in college even at the risk of lowering your GPA.

bread's done
Back