The Declining Value Of Your College Degree...

I would always recommend going to a top 100 school (they're listed in Us news and world report yearly). They add some value to your degree and many of them are public (like UMass here in MA). If your school is a top 100 school it means they have a top program in something, the tough part is finding out what that something is before you attend undergrad. In generally, look at the grad schools your school and you can get an idea which programs are the best and most well-funded.

Oh, well there's only one college in my state that's ranked, so hopefully that one accepts me. I'm NOT going out of state to go to college, especially not to a high ranked college.

Reading through this thread makes me sad.

Here I am , going on 24. Working a retail slave job that pays ok , and I don't really hate it , but I don't love it either. I feel compelled to go to college , but have no idea about what to do , where to go , what the hell I'd want to major in or what the hell I'd want to do once I finish.

It's like my whole time in high school I didn't have a fucking clue what I wanted to do , so once I got out I was like why the hell should I go to college when I don't even know what I want to do.

What makes it hurt more is that even though my grades weren't very good , I know I possess the knowledge , my co-workers know that too. I just can't figure out how to put it all together.

I'm not looking for sympathy , hell no. If anything all I'd really want is guidance. Wheres the damn book that tells you want really matters and not the crap thats constantly fed to you during high school. That's part of the reason I didn't pursue further education.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Reading through this thread makes me sad.

Here I am , going on 24. Working a retail slave job that pays ok , and I don't really hate it , but I don't love it either. I feel compelled to go to college , but have no idea about what to do , where to go , what the hell I'd want to major in or what the hell I'd want to do once I finish.

It's like my whole time in high school I didn't have a fucking clue what I wanted to do , so once I got out I was like why the hell should I go to college when I don't even know what I want to do.

What makes it hurt more is that even though my grades weren't very good , I know I possess the knowledge , my co-workers know that too. I just can't figure out how to put it all together.

I'm not looking for sympathy , hell no. If anything all I'd really want is guidance. Wheres the damn book that tells you want really matters and not the crap that's constantly fed to you during high school. That's part of the reason I didn't pursue further education.[/QUOTE]

You can make a good living not going to college. Don't let this thread be a detriment to your thinking. It's force fed down peoples throats that you need college to do anything in this world.

While I agree to an extent, as long as you have some form of motivation you can make a good living without destroying your body or going 4 years to college.

IT jobs don't need college, in fact experience trumps this almost every time (exceptions). Get an A+ cert and you'll be on your way.

If you're good at communicating sales jobs are great also. Can make 40+k easily, even doing cars sales if it's the right brand.

Then there's the manual labor, go nowhere jobs. This will destroy your body over time. Restaurant jobs pay well also. Bartenders can make 50k even in rural areas.

But, if you want a prestigious job then college is obviously a necessity.

An A+ cert won't get you much more than a job at geek squad, which if you're alright with that, i guess it's fine. Plus, there are to many text book cert holders as it is, that means people who read a book, got certified, but have no experience what so ever.

Hell, i know people with A+ certs, i've learned more on my own over the years. Most of those people have no clue what they're doing. Certs are fine as a compliment to a degree, but unless you're say CCNA certified, they probably aren't enough. You at least get some experience with a degree usually.

Even my school wanted at the very least an associates degree for an IT job they recently posted.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Bartenders can make 50k even in rural areas.[/quote]

Funny that you mention that , since in the 6 years I've worked at my job I've had several people mention that they felt I would make a good bartender. I always thought it was kinda an odd career suggestion , but one that I never truly ever passed off as being out of the question.

I know, I said he'd be on his way.

Work history and experience are WAY more important then an associates degree in this case. I know plenty of people who've made it big starting low doing help desk shit. Then again, this was in the late 90's early 2000 era. Still, after getting some more certs, getting with some job agencies it shouldn't take long.

A+ has gotten harder lately, it's 3 tests and costs 150$ initially (last time I checked) and each time after if you fail. Not for chumps.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Funny that you mention that , since in the 6 years I've worked at my job I've had several people mention that they felt I would make a good bartender. I always thought it was kinda an odd career suggestion , but one that I never truly ever passed off as being out of the question.[/QUOTE]

Don't bother with bartending schools. I just got a bartending license and applied at a shitload of places. I had to break in as a barback, but eventually (3 months) I was bartending. It's hard work, but worth it.

The drawback for me was in hailing the smoke. Can't wait until WI is smoke free, otherwise it's a great career if you like a fast paced environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='StarKnightX']Funny that you mention that , since in the 6 years I've worked at my job I've had several people mention that they felt I would make a good bartender. I always thought it was kinda an odd career suggestion , but one that I never truly ever passed off as being out of the question.[/QUOTE]

Don't bother with bartending schools. I just got a bartending license and applied at a shitload of places. I had to break in as a barback, but eventually (3 months) I was bartending. It's hard work, but worth it.

The drawback for me was in hailing the smoke. Can't wait until WI is smoke free, otherwise it's a great career if you like a fast paced environment.

I think I posted this earlier but after 6 years of school I was too burnt out for grad school but who knows it may happen in the future.

Also managing to have almost 0 in college debt after leaving school was extremely important for me, I've seen too many people I leave with BA's or BS's and 60k+ in debt for school.

Now if I had to get in debt for grad school I would.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']A+ has gotten harder lately, it's 3 tests and costs 150$ initially (last time I checked) and each time after if you fail. Not for chumps.[/quote]

I got my A+ last year.

It required two tests.

After I bought the Mike Myers manual and two discounted vouchers, I think I was out $300.

After you get A+, you might as well go for Network+. It isn't that much harder and it is only one test and a slightly thinner book to study from.

bread's done
Back