The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

I'm 17 and I don't really think I'm even able to sign up for a credit card but I definitely want to cash in on this and maybe get a PS3 Headset out of it (4,900pts)

If I get all of those points will I not be able to get the headset for free? If so, dammit. Did I just miss out on like 50 points I may be able to get when (if I do) sign up for this credit card in the future?

[quote name='Buddycuffs']I'm 17 and I don't really think I'm even able to sign up for a credit card but I definitely want to cash in on this and maybe get a PS3 Headset out of it (4,900pts)

If I get all of those points will I not be able to get the headset for free? If so, dammit. Did I just miss out on like 50 points I may be able to get when (if I do) sign up for this credit card in the future?[/quote]

Good question, I believe I had a sears credit card well before I was 18, but I think I had to have my parents sign it, I was the primary card holder though, but times might have changed since then. You can however earn points for up to a year before you lose them without being a cardholder, but as it stands now, without a card you can only use 500 points towards a redemption off of the sony site.

My suggestion is call sony and apply that way if you can, also ask your parents, you might be able to sign up under them, at 17 it is time to get some credit history and a great time to start learning fiscal responsability, tell your parents about the card program, and make sure you keep a good credit standing, you are going to want to buy a house sooner than you think:D.

[quote name='jallen']if they were gonna mitigate anything, i would think it would be the 5x500 product registry that takes all of 2 minutes to earn the equivalent of $25. you basically have to do nothing for those.[/quote]

Yes, but notice there's a limit. They're basically agreeing to 25 off anything. With the blu rays, you could potentially register 90-100 blu rays (if sony pictures has that many out) for 100 dollars in credit.

Quick question...when registering an item how does it send the 500 points to your sony rewards account ? It's not like your logged in to your rewards account from the link in the op...Are you suppose to just use your sony rewards email when registering the product to get the 500 points??

Nevermind found out where you have to click to "sync" your points so to speak...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jallen']oooh f*ck this. So i loaded up my netflix with blurays, i just hit the 20 mark. At 10 they "converted" 280 points into a $10 off coupon (blurays only), i was like meh, that's ok. At 20, they killed 1000 points and converted into another $10 off bluray coupon. Seeing as how 1000 pts=$10, they basically just told me i have to use my points on a retail priced bluray from them, or not use them at all. I'm sending them an email telling them to keep their damn coupons and give me my points back (but much more politely). I'll see what they say.

Just know that once you hit 10, 20, 30 registries, points will disappear from your account. Be careful.[/quote]

Sony actually mentions this here

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/clubs/bluray/disc_registration/

3. Once you have a User Profile click on Register Your Disc to enter your title and you'll automatically earn 100 points. Each time you register 10 Blu-ray titles, we'll automatically convert your points into a $10.00 coupon that we'll send to you via email. You can redeem it toward any Blu-ray title in the Sony Rewards Catalog. Enter as many discs as you wish and quickly build up your points towards great rewards!

[quote name='GreatOne2k9']Sony actually mentions this here

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/clubs/bluray/disc_registration/

3. Once you have a User Profile click on Register Your Disc to enter your title and you'll automatically earn 100 points. Each time you register 10 Blu-ray titles, we'll automatically convert your points into a $10.00 coupon that we'll send to you via email. You can redeem it toward any Blu-ray title in the Sony Rewards Catalog. Enter as many discs as you wish and quickly build up your points towards great rewards![/quote]

yeah i saw that, and they've changed it a couple times since they started the offer. This first time i read it, it said we'll convert 280 points. Then they changed it to this wording and decided to convert ALL 1000 points into a coupon. That's fine. I'm just gonna cash all my points in before i hit the next 10 disc mark so there's no points to even take. unless i go into negative points :lol:

registering the 5 products was so incredibly easy. thanks! I already had about 2,500 points from normal use, so time to cash those in! :D

Thanks again op! This thread got me to stop being lazy and answer the questions for points, I didn't even know answering a certain amount a month made most items 15% off! Dualshock 3 controller for 4250 points here I come!!!

Thanks for the great info... I got the Sony card a while ago when they did the 5 free blu-ray movies promo... and never looked at the rewards site again... until finding this thread. I haven't even used the card. I guess I'll start using it whenever I buy sony products. (Do blu-ray movies count?)

also, FYI, "Revolver" and "Hancock" are sony bd-live discs... not lised on the blu-ray.com thread.

-- Garrett

entered the daily giveaway for 500 points, "spun" the wheel for the multiplier and landed on 9! The sweet thing is, even if I don't want the listed prize, since I have a Sony Card I can substitute it for anything on my wish list up to $1,000! I'm seriously doing this every day.

[quote name='velvet396']entered the daily giveaway for 500 points, "spun" the wheel for the multiplier and landed on 9! The sweet thing is, even if I don't want the listed prize, since I have a Sony Card I can substitute it for anything on my wish list up to $1,000! I'm seriously doing this every day.[/quote]

We can do that?!

Yes, if you have the sony card and you win the daily giveaway you can opt for anything in your wishlest up to 1,000 dollars. I have played the daily giveaway for years, and I'm still waiting for lightning to strike.

So what qualifies as "Daily purchases" or whatever to get points? I bought some groceries but for some reason I dont' believe that counts...has to be just stuff from Best buy, amazon, other "sony" authorized retailers? I'm not talking abotu the 3 point or 5 point but the one pointers.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']So what qualifies as "Daily purchases" or whatever to get points? I bought some groceries but for some reason I dont' believe that counts...has to be just stuff from Best buy, amazon, other "sony" authorized retailers? I'm not talking abotu the 3 point or 5 point but the one pointers.[/QUOTE]

I believe you have to wait awhile before you see your non-Sony purchases converted into points ($1 = 1 pt). It should come within a month. Just be patient.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']So what qualifies as "Daily purchases" or whatever to get points? I bought some groceries but for some reason I dont' believe that counts...has to be just stuff from Best buy, amazon, other "sony" authorized retailers? I'm not talking abotu the 3 point or 5 point but the one pointers.[/quote]
Everything counts . . . my points get posted monthly when my bill comes out. Softens the blow slightly (very slightly). ;)

Sorry if this question has been asked but I went through about 30% of the posts and got tired of reading them all. I just signed up for the card and was wondering how long it will take till I am able to use more than 500 of my reward points?

And I am actually planning to use the card. Kind of figure I use my debit card all the time anyways so might as well use the credit card, pay it off everytime since I have the funds, and get rewards! Might be in on the PS3 deal.

[quote name='foster1887']Sorry if this question has been asked but I went through about 30% of the posts and got tired of reading them all. I just signed up for the card and was wondering how long it will take till I am able to use more than 500 of my reward points?

And I am actually planning to use the card. Kind of figure I use my debit card all the time anyways so might as well use the credit card, pay it off everytime since I have the funds, and get rewards! Might be in on the PS3 deal.[/quote]

If you have the card, then you have no limit as to the number of points you can use. If you had a sonyrewards account before signing up the card, just make sure your card is attached to your account.

[quote name='disillusion386']If you have the card, then you have no limit as to the number of points you can use. If you had a sonyrewards account before signing up the card, just make sure your card is attached to your account.[/quote]

Haha, thanks. I was trying to figure that out and just saw the link that attaches the card to my account. Now I just have to wait for it in the mail and my day will be great =). Do I get more points when I attach my card to my account?

Edit: By the way, when you invite "friends" and have them register, you get 50 extra points for each accepted invitation. I got 200 more points now.

I just ordered the cards (thx so much for this thread) but was just curious, what are the current free blu-ray movie choices they are giving away right now? I am scared to buy any new ones until I see their list since don't want to double dip. Thx.

I've been thinking about getting a credit card in the next few months, really considering trying to get one of these sony cards

Thanks for all the info OP!

Hey guys I am looking to get my first Credit Card (build credit/get points,etc) - is this card good? Any difference between the Sony/Playstation Card? I really don't want to whip out a card that says Playstation on it every time I buy something lol. I looked around and saw there is no yearly fees - are there any fees for anything else I should be aware of? Anywho yea I'm not really sure what I should go for. And I know its my first card but I know not to pay late,etc so I don't get owned with interest.

Hey guys I am looking to get my first Credit Card (build credit/get points,etc) - is this card good? Any difference between the Sony/Playstation Card? I really don't want to whip out a card that says Playstation on it every time I buy something lol. I looked around and saw there is no yearly fees - are there any fees for anything else I should be aware of? Anywho yea I'm not really sure what I should go for. And I know its my first card but I know not to pay late,etc so I don't get owned with interest.

No fees of any kind, really this is probably one of the better cards you can get.

You can redeem your points at ANY authorized sony retailer if you buy sony stuff with your sony card. FILL OUT THIS FORM> https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/your_...e_credit_form/

Ok, I just bought a blue tooth ps3 headset. Is this the form I fill out to have the $ spent be counted as triple points? The sony website is a little vague on this. The form calls for the price, upc, and item #. What is the item # exactly?

Just look around on the packaging or the headset, every Sony product has an item or model number. Looks like it might be 98095 or PS398095? Keep in mind that it will take them a few months to apply the extra points/credit to your account.

Quick question, I bought a buddy of mine Killzone 2 with my Sony card for his birthday. I already sent in the purchase credit form with my receipt but I found out he returned the game to BestBuy with the gift receipt (his wife already gave him the game). Am I still going to get the bonus points and cash credit for the purchase?

I'm a little late to this thread, but I've had my Sony card since last summer when they offered the $100 PS3 credit.

A few things to mention...

YES, you can substitute any item up to $1000 from your wish list if you win the daily giveaway. Not sure why the poster earlier in this thread wasted it on a PS3. My wishlist is loaded with tons of items that come in just under $1000. I'm ready, just haven't won yet :(

The rate is AMAZING. I called all my cards recently to inquire about the rate and lowering it. Not only was this cheaper than Amex, Citi and Discover, but they GAVE me 1000 free points because they couldn't lower it. I didn't even ask for the points. So, if you have good credit, call and ask for a lower rate, and act kind of bummed when they don't give it to you. The rep's have the point power!

Planning a big purchase, might want to hold out for a promo... I knew in advance that I was going to get a new Vaio when I got this card, and later in the summer they offered a DOUBLE bonus point program. So, basically I was able to get 10X points on items purchased from Sony. So, my $2,000 laptop got me 20,000 points... Not a bad way to start! (FYI, I did have to fight for the extra points, as Chase and Sony kept pointing fingers at each other, this was a CHASE promotion. Whatever, just be diligent about what points you are owed!)

My ONLY complaint thus far has been what happened in December. I have been sending in my triple point requests religously for my Sony purchases (have we confirmed that ALL PS3 titles qualify??? I wasn't doing this). I have ALWAYS requested triple points and not "Purchase Credit". Then, imagine my shock when my points dropped to ZERO as they claim I asked for purchase credit. So, I called them, and they said they have no control and it already went through, sorry. So I got my credit, but was trying to save up points :(

Last but not least, PAY attention to the Monthly Reverse Auction! I picked up a lot of stuff from this, way cheap...

how do you link your sony style and sony rewards accounts?

because those 2 are two different websites and I want to combine my points.

[quote name='ikaden']Quick question, I bought a buddy of mine Killzone 2 with my Sony card for his birthday. I already sent in the purchase credit form with my receipt but I found out he returned the game to BestBuy with the gift receipt (his wife already gave him the game). Am I still going to get the bonus points and cash credit for the purchase?[/quote]

Bought a PS3 from Best Buy and returned it for price match and Sony still gave me the rebate on it. So I think as long as the money dosn't go back to the card they don't check to see if you still own the item.
So to answer your question I think you still get the bonus points.

I'd wasnt credited for registering my ps3 o.o

EDIT: Go To Register Link, Register 1 Sony product,
Before you click Register another Product, Press the Sony Rewards button at the bottom. Close the popup window or tab. Hit Register another Product and then go back and click on the sony rewards button. Got 2.500 points.

how do you link your sony style and sony rewards accounts?

because those 2 are two different websites and I want to combine my points.

Yes you can register anything sony/ps3/ps2 etc. and yes you do pay for shipping on the sony rewards site most of the time, (you can use points to pay also) but I did get free shipping during a promo once.

Edit: did you mean by when redeeming points - for merchandise to be sent to you then yes you pay shipping but if you mean when redeeming points for stuff you purchased with your card and want reimbursment then NO you don't pay anything.

[quote name='rushisrighton']Edit: did you mean by when redeeming points - for merchandise to be sent to you then yes you pay shipping but if you mean when redeeming points for stuff you purchased with your card and want reimbursment then NO you don't pay anything.[/quote]
S&H has always been free for me - the site says "shipping and handling is included with all orders except PS3 consoles." Maybe that's just for cardholders, though.

There's a promo right now - you get a card or email with a unique code, and after registering, you get triple points for grocery, gas, dining, and department store purchases through June. Anyone who didn't get a code might want to email Chase.

How did you get points for PS3 games? I am having trouble figuring this out.

Also, the PS2 is listed at 15000 points. Is it likely that the point price will drop since the most recent price decrease?

just hit platinum status and ordered the new mlb09 the show for 5500 odd points. was quite pleased to see such a new game on there. the demo was awesome.

[quote name='patzoo']How did you get points for PS3 games? I am having trouble figuring this out.

Also, the PS2 is listed at 15000 points. Is it likely that the point price will drop since the most recent price decrease?[/quote]

i doubt it will come soon, considering Resistance 1 is still 6000 points. You can buy a PS2 in store with your card and get a credit tho.

Thank you OP for this post! It was super handy and I'm on my way to Killzone or a Dualshock

ordered killzone 2 from reward list. Almost been 2 weeks and my order still not shipped xD I hate how slow sonyreward is lol. Last time I ordered a Optical cable took about 2 weeks to ship out too. I'm low on rewar points need to get it up =(

I received an email from Sony Rewards last night detailing a new promotion.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Spend just $100 on your PlayStation Card from April 15 - April 30, 2009* and get a free $10 PlayStation Network Voucher.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]When you have spent $100 on your PlayStation Card, you'll receive an e-mail with instructions on how to get your $10 PlayStation Network Voucher; redeemable on the PlayStation Network.

It's our way of saying, "Thanks for being a PlayStation Card member!"

The PlayStation Card Team[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]P.S. - Act now! This one-time offer for PlayStation Card members to receive a FREE $10 PlayStation Network Voucher expires on 4/30/09![/FONT]

The fine print says it is non-transferrable and only valid if you receive the email, but what amounts to 10% cashback for just using your card is a nice promotion.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']I received an email from Sony Rewards last night detailing a new promotion.

The fine print says it is non-transferrable and only valid if you receive the email, but what amounts to 10% cashback for just using your card is a nice promotion.[/quote]

Holy crap, that is an awesome promo especially for people who normally use their Playstation cards for everyday purchases. Damn, where's my e-mail?

bread's done
Back