The Dwayne Johnson Appreciation (Wrestling) Thread

That is hilarious, Jay.

I think Flair jobbed a lot for someone of his status. Reference his match result history to Hulk Hogan, or even the Undertaker. It's quite different.

Wait... there's a "Play as Sting" Achievement in TNA Impact? Is the game that shallow that they had to make "Play a match as (insert wrestler here)" an achievement?

finally completed the story mode yesterday.. the ending should of been a little better..

anyways im still enjoying the game.. waiting for dlc to come out already!

I'll wait for the game to hit $20 or less.... which I suspect will happen in January.

95981_article.jpg

Vickie Guererro action figure FTL????

Also its being reported that TNA is increasing the price of its PPVs from $29.95 to $34.95..... and still no HD.

Yet another glorious iMPACT glitch - I was just hit with the BLACK HOLE SLAM! by Abyss and thought I was certainly dead since it was preceded by a string of unblockable chair attacks, but after wiggling the left control stick in preparation for the auto-pin off the finisher (what a crock of shit that is - especially for ultimate X), the move hit and I just...didn't get pinned. Instead, both my CAW and Abyss just kind of spun around, and then for some reason, I hit a basement dropkick on Abyss in that really close-up camera view, then the screen went completely blank, and when it went back to normal, Abyss was slamming me on the floor.

As for the increase in PPV price...ugh. If people aren't going to buy them at $30, WHY WOULD THEY SPEND $5 MORE!? While I don't think their numbers will tank due to this (they've already been down to 15,000 in the past year anyway), I don't see it helping matters either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Midway: "We know failure."

It sounds awful, Jay. I feel sorry for ya. But hey, at least it was free. ^_^

JR posted his latest SmackDown This! commentary. I guess JR was also driven insane by the constant, conspicuous reminders of how it was Raw's 800th show. Hehe... JR is, once again, precise and well-expressed. I like how he praised Matt Striker and noticed Lance Cade's terrible hair style choices.

I wonder if Fink actually knows the answers to these questions off the top of his glossy dome. :whistle2:k

Edit: Oh, and I want to buy that Vickie action figure, paint it purple, and make it play the McDonalds theme song. Or does Grimace have his/its own theme music? Hmm...

[quote name='lmz00']Does anybody object to me removing "Wrestling" from the thread title?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

This is more than a Dwayne Johnson Appreciation Thread.

Impact was pretty decent tonight. The opening with Kurt and Jarrett was very good, even with Tenay yelling a month's worth of storyline into the time it took each guy to enter the ring, and then yelling during every minor break in their speech. The segment would've worked a lot better had the announcers just SHUT UP during it and let the mens' words tell the story.

Sting's promo came off a bit better, as they actually did that, and he made a great case for himself during the promo, stating that Joe wasn't championship material. Then they cut to Joe in the back with an Apollo Creed impersonator and a black Macho Man one in flip flips giving him RESPECK KNUCKLES in what was easily the show's funniest moment that didn't involve Kurt Angle shooting a goofy smile or Sting saying that if he was all about the money, he'd have gone to WWE.

One problem I had throughout the Sting-Joe build tonight was them stating that the belt meant nothing in this feud. Great, SO WHY IS IT ON THE LINE? Moreover, why should anyone care about the belt when even the champion acknowledges that his top contender doesn't want it? Sure, it makes some sense from a storyline standpoint as Sting just wants the belt to make sure Joe can't have it, but in doing so, they made the belt look worthless.

Match-wise, this show wasn't anything special. LAX and Hector against Beer Money Inc. and Jackie was good, and wisely kept the managers' involvement to a minimum, while the main event was good-ish, but nothing memorable, and I wasn't a fan of the overly-contrived ref bump spot that led to the finisher. Christian's role in this whole respect thing seems really ham-fisted to me, as he's never been brought up in it before, and now all of a sudden, he's a focal point of it and now has to choose a side or Karen Angle will get mad. Or something.

Joe-Bashir was another okay match that wasn't all that memorable, although Bashir at least got in some offense, he was treated like a total jobber due to the chokeout, and the "win" did nothing to help him, while the chokeout itself didn't help Joe out either. DW stating that Joe sent a message by intentionally losing then stating that nothing sends a message more than a victory got a laugh out of me, as did Mike Tenay yelling while recapping Joe's promo about him not yelling anymore.

The Mick hype was quite a bit less than I was expecting - almost to the point of him seeming like a complete afterthought. Meanwhile, Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle was billed as the biggest dream match in company history, and THE match that made BFG the biggest show of the year. Oh and by the way, Sting's battling Joe for the first time ever, too. Given how many guys they're shoe-horning into this whole "battle for respect" angle, I'm not really looking forward to Foley's promo as much as I would be, as it seems like he'll just be another guy tossed into the angle for the sake of doing so instead of having a compelling reason to do so.

Quotes -
Graphic - Loser’s Manager Leaves Town
Jarrett - As the founder of TNA Wrestling, it gives me great pleasure and pride to announce that we have signed one of the greatest and most unique performers of all-time. (crowd chants “Foley!”) Quite frankly, the greatest acquisition in the history of TNA. (crowd chants “TNA!) and next week, he’s gonna be here LIVE IN THE IMPACT ZONE! Ladies and gentlemen, the greatest acquisition in TNA history - Mick Foley! (Foley video airs, Angle comes out)
Angle - You said the greatest acquisition in TNA history? You’ve been out of the loop way too long. Here’s what’s been going on n TNA - two years ago, you left, I entered, and single-handedly carried it on my back for the past two years. Hold on, I TURNED THIS OUTHOUSE INTO A PENTHOUSE. THAT WAS ME. NOT JOE, NOT AJ! Mick Foley is yesterday’s news and so are you, Jeff.
Jarrett - I had all intentions of coming out and forget about what happened last week - I said some things I probably shouldn’t have said, and I apologize. When I was making my decision to come back, I went back and forth - I realized that I had no choice. Not just due to you or Sting, but let’s talk about AJ Styles. Kurt…two weeks in a row, AJ left with your gold medal. Kurt, I’ve gone to AJ and I’m gonna get it back for you. Kurt, seriously, we may have our differences, but nothing’s gonna hide the fact that in 1996, you served the country proud and became an Olympic gold medalist. You’re a true American hero.
Angle - Lemme get this straight, you’re just gonna hand me back my medal. That’s swell - thanks boss. Now get the hell out of my ring. I’m not talking, hold on a second… I DON’T NEED YOU KISSING MY ASS, IKNOW I’M GREAT AND I KNEW THAT THE SECOND I WAS BORN. DON’T WALK AWAY LIKE A SCARED LITTLE BITCH! You’re just like your old man - a washed-up failure.
DW - JEFF’S SHOWING INCREDIBLE STRENGTH HERE.
Angle - Tell your daughters that daddy is a quitter!
DW - HOW MUCH MORE CAN HE TAKE!
Tenay - ANGLE JUST CROSSED THE LINE! THIS THING’S GONNA GET HEATED!
DW - CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR KURT, YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT!
Jarrett - My whole life, I’ve been a fighter, and every battle I’ve been in, I’ve survived. I wouldn’t wish them even on you, but no matter how low things got, I never have, and never will QUIT! You wanna coax me back into the ring? I’M GONNA GRANT YOU YOUR WISH! Kurt, I said it last week and I’m gonna say it tonight - you don’t want any part of the pain that’s pierced my body. You want me at BFG? I’ll see you in Chcago!
DW - JEFF JARRETT-KURT ANGLE AT BOUND FOR GLORY!
Tenay - AFTER A TWO YEAR ABSENCE, THE 12-TIME WORLD CHAMPION WILL RETURN AT BOUND FOR GLORY! KURT ANGLE MAY BE SMILING, BUT IT MASKS THE REALIZATION THAT HE’S UNLEASHED A FURY HE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DEAL WITH!
Tenay - TNA’S BIGGEST PPV OF THE YEAR BECAME THE BIGGEST ONE EVER WITH THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF KURT ANGLE VS. JEFF JARRETT!
DW - AS IF JOE VS. STING WASN’T ENOUGH! IT’S CLEAR THAT THINGS HAVE CHANGED!
Tenay - AS IF THAT WASN’T ENOUGH PROOF, NEXT WEEK, MICK FOLEY! THINGS ARE ALWAYS EVOLVING IN TNA! WHAT WIILL MICK FOLEY HAVE TO SAY!?
Lance - Guys and groupies alike - like up and get infected!
Tenay - Morgan with a flying cross body off the top - a miracle move for a seven-footer!
DW - Jimmy Rave - the newest addition to Matt Morgan’s mile-high club!
Devon - Cut the music, ya see boys, at NS, it was a fluke! A FLUKE THAT YOU TWO BEAT US! Apparently, you don’t know just who we are - we are the baddest tag team walking the planet! TEAM 3D!Apparently, you don’t know the things that we have accomplished - 9 times WWE Tag Team champions! 1-TIME WCW CHAMPIONS! 8-TIMES ECW CHAMPIONS! ALL-JAPAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS, AND BOYS, I WILL SAY THIS, WE ARE UNDEFEATED IN JAPAN! ONE-TIME TNA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS - ALL TOGETHER - THAT’S 20 TIMES! THERE ISN’T A TAG TEAM THAT HAS ACCOMPLISHED MORE THAN WE HAVE, so I tell ya what, Chicago, Bound For Glory, you wanna tell ‘em? OH MY BROTHER!
Ray - CHICAGO, BOUND FOR GLORY, THE BIGGEST PPV THAT TNA HAS! THE TWO OF YOU AGAINST THE TWO OF US…AND ANY OTHER TAG TEAM THAT WANTS TO GET INVOLVED! ANY OTHER TAG TEAM THAT WANTS TO FALL TO THE FEET OF THE GREATEST TEAM THAT HAS EVER WALKED THE PLANET! And guess what? THAT MATCH IS CALLED THE MONSTER’S BALL!
Devon - OH MY BROTHER, TESTIFY!
Tenay - WAIT, IT’S GONNA BE A MONSTER’S BALL!? THE MENTION OF THAT HAS CAUSED ABYSS TO GO INTO HYSTERICS!
Lauren - Beer Money, tonight, your titles aren’t on the line, but perhaps something more important is - Jackie.
Storm - You know, Jarrett’s been in business for 25 years and you know who started thanks to him? Jackie. No disrespect to the Guerreros, but she’s been In the business for a long time. We could’ve had a Karen Angle, but we didn’t want a pretty face - we wanted the toughest chick! This lady was born to wrestle! SHE’S GETTING IN THE RING WITH MEN TONIGHT, THAT’S HOW TOUGH SHE IS! Sorry ‘bout your damn luck, Hector. We ain’t losing on my watch - that’s for damn sure.
Karen - On one side, you ahve the veterans, and on the other, you’ve got guys like Joe and AJ who’ve been with the company since the beginning.
Cage - I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I agree that the veterans helped built the business, you’ve got household names that help build ratings and bring PPV numbers up, and then there’s the young guys who‘ve been around since before there was a national TV deal and a two-hour timeslot - I’ve been there, and instead of a guy passing the torch, he’s here to cash his check. I’m here to do something about it - when the red light’s on, you’ve got a chance to step up. If they’re just saying “give me respect”, it doesn’t work that way, you have to earn it I’m not too far from being a young guy or a veteran. I took a little offense to AJ, but we talked about it and we’re fine.
Karen - What side are you gonna choose?
Cage - It just depends on who’s got the better package.
Karen - Who are you thinking?
Cage - Have the sides been defined? I don’t even know. Who’s gonna be on my side?
Karen - At some point, you’re gonna have to choose a side. You can’t just stand there alone.
Cage - Hang on, I forgot to turn off my phone…
Karen - NO, YOU NEED TO ANSWER THE QUESTION!
Tenay - IF YA MISSED IT, THE FIRST TIME EVER, IT’S GONNA BE JEFF JARRETT VS. KURT ANGLE!
DW - TWO OF THE BIGGEST NAMES IN PRO WRESTLING!
Lauren - Hector, you heard from a very determined Beer Money, if you lose, you will have to leave LAX, what are your thoughts?
Hector - My thoughts? Jackie, you’ve got decades in the business, but that isn’t happening. My name is Guerrero, that means warrior, and these guys are warriors. I’ve never let you down and I’ll be my best for you guys! Lemme tell ya something else, BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER! There’s nothing stronger than that!
JB - IT’S JB INSIDE THE BEAUTIFUL LOCKER ROOM OF BOOKER T.
Booker - You know Jeremiah, there’s a lot going on in TNA. Last week, Jarrett, next week, Mick Foley, but in Africa, one thing never changes - the king and the queen. When It’s all over, I will still stand on top with my lovely queen Sharmell. AJ Styles, what does he stand for? It doesn’t matter. He’s been here for six years and in my first six minutes, I did more than him - RATINGS WENT THROUGH THE ROOF, since he’s such a small-time player, he should just go back to small towns. Keep your enemies close, but keep your friends closer.
JB - What’s in the case? OW! Sharmell!
Booker - YOU MAY GO NOW, JEREMIAH!
Tenay - LAX risks losing the man who took them back to their Latino roots!
DW - HE GAVE THEM THEIR GROOVE BACK!
DW - Hector hits the suplexes just like Eddie!
Tenay - CHANNELING HIS BROTHER EDDIE GUERRERO, HITTING THE THREE AMIGOS!
Tenay - Sting will be at fanfest - you get an autograph and a lecture about respect at the same time.
DW - WOW, I’VE NEVER KNOWN STING TO BE AT ONE OF THESE FANFESTS!
(after the plancha)DW - HERNANDEZ CLEARS THE TOP ROPE BY A FOOT OR TWO!
Storm - I GOT THE BEER AND HE’S GOT THE MONEY!
Lauren - I’m here with Sonjay and Val, who have been in bed for 10 days since No Surrender in what they’re calling…a love in. Well, I’ve got the hideous PJs, can I get the interview? What do you have to say to Jay?
Val - I don’t owe him anything! He’s a grown man who can figure things out for himself. (then they sing)
Tenay - After months of hearing Sting complain, last week, Sting was the target of a verbal outburst from Jeff Jarrett that painted a different picture. It’s not a matter of Sting being disrespected, he’s worried about losing his highly-coveted position!
Sting - Jeff, out of respect for your dad, and you, last week, I stood here and listened to you, but tonight, you’re gonna listen to me. Jeff, you may have some people swerved around here, you’ve got the gullible 20 somethings swerved, but you don’t have me swerved because I know the REAL Jeff Jarrett. It was you Jeff that called me and said if I’d come out of retirement and wrestle for TNA. You said “Sting, I need some help”, and that you come, Spike’ll pick us up - WE NEED YOU. I got another phone call from Vince, and it didn’t take me long to figure out which company to work for - I chose TNA. Even though it was Vince who said I was giving up millions, so don’t tell me I was alla bout money - if I was, I’d be there. I chose to be in TNA because I LOVE THE BRAND TNA! Because I liked seeing some of the young guys- moves…until I got to know some of them personally, Jeff. So Jeff, I want everyone to understand the details. You don’t need me anymore? Well, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree, because I’ve got bigger things to worry about than Joe and BFG. Let’s go with some visual aids. (Arn and Tully picture pops up)Arn and Tully - premiere tag team of all time - they taught me to have eyes in the back of my head. There was trust and respect between them. (Dusty pic shows up)Dusty told me to never judge a book by its cover. (Hogan picture pops up)Hogan, you could take a survey and ask who Is the greatest of all time and Hogan would be the answer. He transcended wrestling. Because of him, wrestling became mainstream! The difference is between some guys and me is I’m not afraid to admit that. (Flair picture shows up)It is 20 years ago since Flair took a jabroni named sting and put me on the map. He could make it break it, and he chose to help me out because he knew that I had respect. Flair taught me what it’s like to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders. He taught me to travel around the world and keep on going, how to walk the aile and keep on going. He told me how to bleed and keep going! HE’S THE NATURE BOY HE WAS MY BROTHER, MY FRIEND, HE’S THE NATURE! BOY! (Joe picture shows up)THAT is somebody who doesn’t know how to be a world champion! He’s somebody who needs to learn respect. (Sting picture pops up)THERE’S SOMEONE WHO’S GONNA GET THE JOB DONE!
Tenay - WE’VE NEVER SEEN SUCH RAW EMOTION FROM STING!
Tenay - I UNDERSTAND THERE’S A HEATED SITUATION IN THE BACK BETWEEN ABYSS AND MATT MORGAN!
Morgan - ABYSS, THIS IS MAJOR MONEY! I WAITING FOR THIS FOREVER! MAJOR MONEY! I TALKED TO YOUR THERAPIST AND HE SAID TO FACE YOUR FEARS! I USED TO BE SCARED OF FLYING - YOU KNOW HOW I FIXED THAT? I BECAME A PILOT! I USED TO BE SCARED OF BEARS, BUT I BEAT THE HELL OUT OF A BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS! YOU KNOCK THAT FEAR THE HELL OUT!
Abyss - Lemme ask you something…you think I’m gonna be okay?
Morgan - We’re gonna be just fine.
Tenay - Listen to what makes BFG our most important event ever.
DW - IT’S THE RETURN OF THE STEEL ASYLUM!
Tenay - AND THE MONSTER’S BALL RETURNS!
DW - Jeff Jarrett faces KURT ANGLE FOR THE FIRST TIME!
Tenay - AND STING FACES SAMOA JOE!
(on the first Terror Dome)Voice Over Guy - IT WAS PURE HELL INSIDE A STEEL STRUCTURE!
JB - Joe, is everything okay?
Joe - I’ve never been better - I came to a realization. Nash, I apologize. Now I understand what you meant. The lion is calm, cool, and collected to keep his prey unsuspecting. Sting, we’re 3 weeks out from BFG. Let’s be honest - this has nothing to do with this belt, this has to do with fear, fear of being rendered obsolete, fear of a man like me taking the spot of a man like you. I’m done yelling and making proclamations, at BFG, I’ll do my talking in the ring.
Lethal - Me and Creed just wanna say thanks.
Suicide - Who am I? I am Suicide!
Tenay - WILL STING’S WORD HAVE AN IMPACT ON JOE!?
DW - I THINK JOE JUST SHOWED HOW MUCH CHAMPIONSHIP MATERIAL HE IS! HE’S GROWN AND THAT SHOWS WHY HE’S SUCH A GREAT TNA CHAMPION!
Joe - STINGER! You’re out here whining about respect, well I’ve got your respect right here!
DW - HE PUTS BASHIR IN THE REAR NAKED CHOKE! THE REF CAN’T GET HIM TO STOP!
Penzer - THE WINNER AS A RESULT OF A DISQUALIFICATION, SHEIK ABDUL BASHIR!
Tenay - JOE SAID IT’S NOT ABOUT YELLING - WE’RE GONNA SETTLE IT IN THE RING AT BOUND FOR GLORY!
DW - HE KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN, BUT HE WANTED TO SEND A MESSAGE TO STING!
JB - AJ, the war of respect wages on?
AJ - Are you sure you wanna talk to this small-town guy? BOOKER, I’M PROUD OF GAINESVILLE, GA - this enemies and allies crap? ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT CHRISTIAN CAGE!? THE ONLY WEDGE THAT’S GONNA BE DRIVEN IS MY FOOT UP YOUR ASS!
(after stating that Joe’s sending a message by being willing to lose)DW - No message is sent as clear as a factory.
Tenay - DON’T GO ANYWHERE, THE BATTLE FOR RESPECT CONTINUES!
Tenay - WE HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS IN TNA, BUT ONE THING WE HAVE NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IS BOUND FOR GLORY! BOUND FOR GLORY, JUST OVER 2 WEEKS AGO! JEFF JARRETT VERSUS KURT ANGLE FOR THE FIRST TIME AND IN A BATTLE FOR RESPECT, STING VERSUS JOE!
DW - THE PELE, YOU KNOW IT’S COMING, BUT YOU CAN NEVER FIGURE OUT WHEN!

Screens -

More screens -

I prefer a cool, calm, and confident Samoa Joe. Tonight's Joe was close though still a bit amiss. It sure beats whiny and screaming, though.

I also liked how Bashir got in quite a bit of offensive before, as Jay mentioned, they made him look like a pathetic jobber with the post-match Samoa Joe choke out.

I don't know if any of you guys would be interested in this but i photoshop wrestling figures when i'm bored. I take bits a pieces from prototype pictures and try to create a likeness as best as i can. Then i draw all the logos and do the appropraite shading to make them look as close to an actual Jakks prototype.

Shawn Michaels

Colt Cabana AKA "Scotty Goldman" (Debut Smackdown Attire)

Big Bossman (Corporate Attire)

Chris Jericho (Current Attire)

Mark Henry (USA Debut Attire)

Paul Birchall

Boogeyman (OVW Attire)

Matt Sydal

Little Guido & Tony Mamaluke (The FBI)

Fit Finlay (WCW Attire)

Gangrel

Davey Boy Smith & DH Smith

Kid Kash (ECW Attire)

Chris Jericho (King of the World Attire)

Crush (Kona Attire)

Lance Storm

Owen Hart (King of Hearts attire)

Raven (ECW attire)

Taka Michinoku

Dude. Dude. DUDE.

I love the "HBK/Razor Ladder Match 2" attire Shawn Michaels.

You even perfectly captured Birchall's funky jawline/cheekbones.

My only nitpicky point: Raven's hair in ECW was a giant permed nightmare, I seem to recall.

EDIT: Don't forget this'un:

[quote name='mykevermin']Dude. Dude. DUDE.

I love the "HBK/Razor Ladder Match 2" attire Shawn Michaels.

You even perfectly captured Birchall's funky jawline/cheekbones.

My only nitpicky point: Raven's hair in ECW was a giant permed nightmare, I seem to recall.

EDIT: Don't forget this'un:
[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Raven comment, unfortunately there wasnt any prototypes that have any hair like that, so i had to make due with what i had. Thanks for the comments though, i appreciate them. Thanks for posting busick, i totally forgot about doing that one.

The content listing for the Eddie set is out, and this is one of the company's most loaded packages yet - The content listing for the Eddie set is out, and this is one of the company's most loaded packages yet - even without counting the fourth disc, which hasn't been announced as being available as an NA retailer-exclusive yet. -
http://www.silvervision.co.uk/products/Viva-La-Raza-The-Legacy-of-Eddie-Guerrero-DVD-4-Discs.html
I was hoping that Eddie's match against Terry Funk in '89 would be included, but realistically, I'm not shocked that it wasn't - this set looks pretty comprehensive, and I don't mind the DVD overlap here - they at least shook things up from the usual Eddie-Rey Havoc match being on DVD, and the Brock match absolutely should be included as it was the highest point of his career.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']The content listing for the Eddie set is out, and this is one of the company's most loaded packages yet - The content listing for the Eddie set is out, and this is one of the company's most loaded packages yet - even without counting the fourth disc, which hasn't been announced as being available as an NA retailer-exclusive yet.[/quote]

Whoa, deja vu - something has been changed in the matrix.

Does anybody object to me removing "Wrestling" from the thread title?

Uh, yeah, considering this is a wrestling discussion thread. What is it with you and The Rock?

Wow, both of the Eddie tribute shows on that bonus disc! I'm guessing Wal-Mart is the most likely candidate to get that in the U.S., since they usually seem to get the exclusive discs for WWE releases.

Question: the listing for those Eddie tribute shows has one very obvious person missing. Cut entirely, or just not mentioned in the press clippings?

I wouldn't expect the vignettes to make it, but I'm curious to see if they cut what were the most hard-hitting 'crowd' shots. I still distinctly remember watching Benoit breaking down on live TV being the hardest part about watching the Eddie tribute show, by far.

SD ended up being kind of boring this week - the show-long stuff with Vickie vs. Taker once again did nothing to make me want to either see Taker get his revenge on her or see him face Show at the PPV. This week definitely peaked with the opener, which saw Kendrick shine, J.R. reference Ray Stevens, Gorilla Monsoon, the Two Man Power Trip, and say that Jeff Hardy was "lovin' life" - which may or may not have been a reference to those hilarious McCool vignettes from a year or so ago, but I interpreted it as one and laughed as a result. The match itself provided some solid, if forgettable tag team action.

The Maria/Brie match was highlighted by Brie's ass crack and the twins either fucking up the switcheroo or WWE asking them to do that so they can go somewhere with this "secret" angle - given that they didn't cut around it and kept J.R.'s puzzled response to it in the commentary, I'm presuming that this was intentional. If it wasn't, it REALLY should've been cut off the show.

Kozlov-Khali wasn't as much of a disaster as I expected, and provided some comedy post-match with Khali begging off from HHH, while Kozlov yelled "NYET" as HHH threatened him with a sledgehammer, leading to him leaving the scene so he could fight HHH on his terms, not Hunter's.

I absolutely loved the U.S. title feud build-up with Shelton vs. R-Truth. Shelton was excellent, and didn't stumble over anything despite this being the longest promo I can recall him cutting, and R-Truth being jovial with the fans by doing the "WHAT'S UP" bit and then immediately switching over to a serious "WHATS UP!!" to Shelton that scared him worked really well. Theoretically, that could've gone very badly, but Killings did an excellent job at changing the tone of his voice to let Shelton know that he wasn't just fun and games and he was perfectly capable of taking his belt at any time.

The tag title match dragged on, but fortunately not as much as their first encounter. I'm digging the Carlito/Primo team as it gives Primo a chance to slowly develop in a low-pressure role while also giving Carlito his most prominent position in the company in a long time. He seems incredibly motivated now, and while it hasn't yet resulted in great matches, I could see that being the case in the future and I think the tag team role is a good one for him. Neutered face one...not so much.

Quotes -
Chavo - Vickie, IT FELT LIKE MY HEAD WAS GONNA POP! But the Undertaker let go…because he wanted me to be a messenger to tell you…that tonight, he’s coming for you!
J.R. - JEFF HARDY LOVES LIFE! And he’ll be loving it more if he can become WWE Champion!
J.R. - MVP, the subject of an excellent USA Today article.
J.R. - One thing I like about Kendrick is that he wrestles differently than he did when he was a tag champion - he has confidence now!
(after a heel double team move goes awry)J.R. - JEFF HARDY AVOIDS THE ILLEGAL CONTACT!
J.R. - Boy, I thought I was gonna be able to use a Gorilla Monsoon line and say “GOOD NIGHT NURSE” but it was not to be!
J.R. - Kendrick with a late Ray Stevens-like maneuver - two feet right off the top!
J.R. - Ezekiel Jackson is standing right in front of us and he’s a massive human being - he blocks out the sun!
J.R. - THE DRIVE-BY MISSED BY INCHES!
J.R. - We’d like to thank the CW for airing us for the past two years, well, nine.
Tazz - We want to wish the CW all the best in the future as we move to a new network.
(as Shelton comes out)J.R. - I love WWE Classics on Demand, and here comes a future classic who is in demand.
J.R. - Shelton is the finest athlete to never step into a WWE ring.
Shelton - I stand here the United States Champion and SmackDown’s Gold Standard - you know why they call me that? Because I set a new standard of excellence in WWE. My athletic ability, my attitude, my lifestyle are all as solid as this title on my shoulder. There are however, certain superstars on this roster who live by no standards at all - namely, R-Truth. Here’s a guy who has no business in the WWE. Anytime I see him sing and dance, to me, it’s a joke! It’s nothing but smoke and mirrors to hide the fact that he’s nothing but a street urchin! But what kills me is that you all are so blind that every time he comes into the arena you join him in that ridiculous chant - WHAT’S UP! Well, here’s what’s up… R-Truth…
R-Truth - OHIO, WE ABOUT TO MAKE SOME NOISE! WHAT’S UP?! WHAT’S UP?! (to Shelton, after getting serious) WHAT’S UP! OHIO!!!!
(as Victoria and Natalya come out)J.R. - As the late, great Gorilla Monsoon used to say - here comes the opposition!
J.R. - The veteran Victoria, AND I MEAN THAT IN A NICE WAY!
Tazz - Yeah, you don’t wanna get her mad…
J.R. - Hey, you talked about Natalya’s hips the other day…
J.R. - Natalya’s the only woman in this match who trained in the legendary Calgary Dungeon with her grandfather Stu Hart.
(after the Bella twins botch the switcheroo and expose that there are two people as “Brie“)J.R. - WHAT ARE WE SEEING!?
Tazz - TV, HD or not, doesn’t do justice to the size of Khali.
Show - Man up, Chavo.
(as Jesse and Festus reveal Kenny and Braddock in a moving van)Tazz - That bubble wrap really gets a pop.
Show - The Undertaker’s not coming out here - HE’S BEEN HUMBLED!

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']and say that Jeff Hardy was "lovin' life" - which may or may not have been a reference to those hilarious McCool vignettes from a year or so ago, but I interpreted it as one and laughed as a result. The match itself provided some solid, if forgettable tag team action.[/quote]

Kinda fun that was mentioned, since those vignettes were inducted into WrestleCrap earlier today :)

[quote name='DougCL']wrestling hasn't been good since brock lesnar happened.

you know im right.[/QUOTE]

New troll?

I actually think the in-ring product- the actual wrestling aspect- has improved since that time. Not that it was bad then.

[quote name='Matt Young']New troll?

I actually think the in-ring product- the actual wrestling aspect- has improved since that time. Not that it was bad then.[/QUOTE]That's an interesting point. And I think it's even more true of the "Attitude era" a few years before that. While I fully believe that wrestling was a lot more fun in that 1998-2001 period, I also believe that the wrestling we get on a weekly basis is actually much better now. You almost never saw matches go to a clean finish ten years ago (wow, it just felt really weird typing out "ten years ago" when referring to 1998 :cold:).

[quote name='DougCL']wrestling hasn't been good since brock lesnar happened.

you know im right.[/quote]

Actually, I'd say you are right for the most part. Brock was poised to be the next franchise player in WWE. I think he would be at the same level as Rock, Austin, or Hogan in stature if he had stayed.

I also think the deaths of Eddie and Benoit really took a lot out of the industry and fans as a whole, and I don't know if things will ever truly recover from that.

In the span of a little more than one year and a half wrestling lost two of it's most beloved and respected performers and a man in Brock who has a skill set that no one could even come close to.

im not trolling, im just saying. a lot of the new guys are super lame. carlito? crime time? stop it.

but nothing now as far as storylines can hold a candle to the ones back then.

When then?

When Nailz escaped from prison to tackle Big Boss Man?
When Mae Young birthed a hand?
When Goldust...well, did whatever Goldust does?
When Razor and 1-2-3 Kid had a "loser wears a diaper" match?

There's crap on TV today, but it's (1) not bad writing, and (2) not bad in terms of feuds.

My current gripe is that the format of the show is stale and predictable as hell, I hate most backstage segments and in-ring 10-20 minute interviews, long intros, and some awful characters.

They're getting away from that, it seems. Primo and Carlito seem to be moving in a direction that's good. Cryme Tyme, well...I'll keep my ultra-PC mouth shut on them. HBK/Jericho is an amazing feud. Kozlov is a great character, and he's genuinely Russian, so good for that (not that we need to dig up the cold war 20 years later, but given recent changes in political tensions b/w the US and Russia, this may work out).

Not every character works, though. Orton bores me to tears, to be honest with you. Same w/ Triple H, Batista, and Cena - well, Cena isn't boring, but he's just insincere and a poseur. But we've been down that road before.

Firstly, awesome work, onetrackmind. If only Jakks actually put that much effort into their work. The change to Mattel cannot come soon enough. Mattel, as some of you may know, puts out the DC line that's just tops.

Nerd stuff aside... :oops:

As Myke showed, pro-wrestling always had a certain level of cheesiness. After the 1970s, when it first became mainstream-popular, it began to incorporate bits and pieces of fiction.

I love the cheesiness, to be honest. In what other form of entertainment would such cheesiness work and be accepted? OK, let me restate that. Before reality TV, YouTube, and not counting low-budget endeavors, in what other form of entertainment would such cheesiness work and be accepted? ;)

I think Jericho/Michaels is one of the best feuds of the decade, and will probably go down as one of the best feuds in the history of WWE. You have Chris Jericho, who is finally being given the opporunity to fulfull his potential, and Shawn Michaels, who is still quite a performer and personality. Really, the only thing that's different about Shawn Michaels is his hairline. While less wild, he's still the same guy we've seen since the Rockers, and that's a credit to his talents.

The fine thing about HBK/Jericho is that they have great matches together, and unlike, say, a HHH/Jericho feud, the outcome and direction of this feud is uncertain.

You don't know what's going to happen next, and this feud is progressing nicely. So it's exciting. It's not rocket science, it's not overbooked, there are no turns, few run-ins. It's just Jericho being called out for not being as good as HBK (and that being a valid point of comparison, given their career trajectories and styles), and Jericho responding with the kind of violence (attacking HBK's eye, not having remorse for hitting his wife) that, in terms of tv flow and cinematography, is very convincing at getting the crowd in the gut with that kind of "I know this is wrestling, but Jericho's gone too far!" kind of way.

It's so deceptively fucking simple that, when it works, you rack your brain trying to figure out all the dumb shit WWE and TNA do on a daily basis. Look at this feud, how perfectly everything fits together, and explain why the main event scene in TNA is such a goddamned mess. People are working too hard to make things not work, when it comes together so easily at times.

Their personae are also going in great directions. Jericho's ability to adapt to the serious, vindictive heel role comes as a major surprise for a guy who almost always played the "goofy" guy, whether face or heel. HBK, as well, is in a spot where he's now in the spot that Flair was in the HBK/Flair buildup to WM24. So, time-wise, it's good all around.

It's not the best feud of any period of time (maybe in recent years, since I can't look back historically and say "oh, man, this is an awesome feud I want to recall!" Like DOA v. Los Boricuas v. that other group. NOD maybe?

Flair/HBK will be a good feud to look back on in a few years' time. This one as well. But how many of y'all are going to go clamoring for the Triple H/John Cena stuff from WM...whichever one they wrestled at? Or go back to HHH/Orton/Cena from this year?

OTOH, I'll go back and watch WMIV, or the Mega Powers feud that culminated in WMV, any fuckin' day of the week.

EDIT: I'm not joking when I say I don't know this: but where in the world has Cena been? Is he injured again? I totally can't remember when I saw him last.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Hilarious sig image BTW myke. :lol:[/quote]

It's the best in the world. :D

[/danielson]

[/jericho]

[/olmert]

yukine made it out of the blue when I linked to the "MCCAIN WINS DEBATE!" campaign ad that was released 4 hours before the debate.

:lol:

"JR's Beef Jerky scored a huge hit Thursday at a major, convenience store convention in OKC getting a ton of orders that should see the product in many convenience stores throughout Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas soon. We will keep you apprised as this was a huge break through for our Beef Jerky biz. Many of you have ordered Jerky from this site and for that we thank you."

I'm going to order some, and post a review. I love beef jerkey. Here's hoping it's dry and not slimy like some brands.

OK....I must really be completely turned off of wrestling anymore, since I'm sitting home tonight instead of going to see an event that's being held as a fundraiser for the one local school.

The event was going to have Roddy Piper, Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Jerry Lawler all wrestling, as well as at least one former WWE Diva and it was only like $15 to get in.

It started at 7:30 with a meet n greet at about 5 pm.

Ahhh well, maybe when WWE brings another SD show here, I'll grab some nosebleed seats and go to that.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/913/913986p1.html

Justin Leeper, creative design for the "Road to Wrestlemania" part of the game, used to be pretty involved as a CAG. The hell was his username?

ViolentLee?

EDIT: Here's the exchange in question:

CAZH718: will you be able to play your custom music during matches?

Bryan Williams: Yes, players will be able to play their own custom music during matches. However, this functionality will only be supported on the Xbox 360.

This doesn't necessarily mean that custom entrance themes are out for PS3, but it doesn't bode well either, y'know?

Custom themes are important to me, by far. Also would be people's reactions that this game has improved significantly over SvR08. People get excited by the game when it first comes out, but if they're still into it 2 weeks later, then perhaps we're onto something.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://ps3.ign.com/articles/913/913986p1.html

Justin Leeper, creative design for the "Road to Wrestlemania" part of the game, used to be pretty involved as a CAG. The hell was his username?

ViolentLee?

EDIT: Here's the exchange in question:

This doesn't necessarily mean that custom entrance themes are out for PS3, but it doesn't bode well either, y'know?

Custom themes are important to me, by far. Also would be people's reactions that this game has improved significantly over SvR08. People get excited by the game when it first comes out, but if they're still into it 2 weeks later, then perhaps we're onto something.[/quote]

I read it wrong my mistake I thought it said no Custom entrance songs. Thats one of the features Im really looking forward to, what a relief. I don't really care for custom songs during matches, I turn off the background music during matches.

Yeah, in-match music doesn't really matter to me... I've put up with the terrible commentary for years, so I've gotten used to it.

Plus, on the bright side, this should be *all new* terrible commentary!

Heh.

[quote name='D_Icon']I read it wrong my mistake I thought it said no Custom entrance songs. Thats one of the features Im really looking forward to, what a relief. I don't really care for custom songs during matches, I turn off the background music during matches.[/QUOTE]

It would be a neat option, but the lack of it is not a deal breaker for me.

Lack of custom entrance themes, OTOH, is.

Man, MS was fuckin' brilliant to trademark/copyright the tech for custom music. It's unfortunate, but I gotta hand it to MS on a business level. It probably took less effort to include in the 360 version than it did to not include it on the PS3 version.

;)

[quote name='mykevermin']http://ps3.ign.com/articles/913/913986p1.html

ViolentLee?[/quote]

Yup, that's his username. He's done a lot of freelance writing and used to do some indy wrestling. Good guy from what little contact I've had with him.

[quote name='mykevermin']I remember he sent me a Pocket Kingdom shirt for free when I was into the N-Gage.

Yeah, I admitted it.[/quote]

o man i remember that game.. n-gage ruled. damn haters

Keiji Muto now holds two separate world titles - today, he won the All Japan Triple Crown as the Great Muta, and holds the IWGP Title under his own name.

[quote name='mykevermin']I remember he sent me a Pocket Kingdom shirt for free when I was into the N-Gage.

Yeah, I admitted it.[/quote]

57367-simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

;)

bread's done
Back