The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

Here's a stupid question - is this game full first-person or can you go to third-person? I ask because I can get motion sickness from first-person games if the "bobbing" of the character's walk is a certain way.

To answer 2fast's question, yes, it is expected to be in stores on the 21st.
mmn - you can switch to third person if you wish, but it would probably be hard when fighting, so you would probably want to use it when you are just walking around and stuff.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=927345&topic=26944471

From: Big Winning Guy | Posted: 3/15/2006 5:54:44 PM | Message Detail

Can you do a...you know...a how you say...a sexy intercourse with a woman in the game? :\

Make a family?

From: Big Winning Guy | Posted: 3/15/2006 5:57:45 PM | Message Detail

I do not want to do with a female horse. >:[

From: Big Winning Guy | Posted: 3/15/2006 6:01:45 PM | Message Detail

This is a good! I cannot wait to do a e-romance inside a woman. I will try not to use force tho, only if she let me.

Joke posts, but still funny.

Oh, and:

vark.jpg

Developer for it, I think. He played it.. then played Burnout and Ghost Recon. LIES! Why would he go play Burnout then Ghost Recon?! haha. He's probably sick to death of Oblivion after working on it for so long

holy crap I was reading these on Wikipedia, pretty fucking awesome, it's about the Radiant AI:

The following are examples of unexpected behavior discovered during early testing:

1. One character was given a rake and the goal "rake leaves"; another was given a broom and the goal "sweep paths," and this worked smoothly. Then they swapped the items, so that the raker was given a broom and the sweeper was given the rake. In the end, one of them killed the other so he could get the proper item.
2. Another test had an on-duty NPC guard become hungry. The guard went into the forest to hunt for food. The other guards also left to arrest the truant guard, leaving the town unprotected. The villager NPCs then looted all of the shops, due to the lack of law enforcement.
3. In another test a minotaur was given a task of protecting a unicorn. However, the minotaur repeatedly tried to kill the unicorn because he was set to be an aggressive creature.
4. In one Dark Brotherhood quest, the player can meet up with a shady merchant who sells skooma, an in-game drug. During testing, the NPC would be dead when the player got to him. The reason was that NPCs from the local skooma den were trying to get their fix, didn't have any money, and so were killing the merchant to get it.
5. While testing to confirm that the physics models for a magical item known as the "Skull of Corruption," which creates an evil copy of the character/monster it is used on, were working properly, a tester dropped the item on the ground. An NPC immediately picked it up and used it on the player character, creating a copy of him that proceeded to kill every NPC in sight.

Bethesda has been hard at work to fix these issues, balancing an NPC's needs against his penchant for destruction so that the game world still functions in a usable fashion.

[quote name='AshesofWake']holy crap I was reading these on Wikipedia, pretty fucking awesome, it's about the Radiant AI:[/quote]

I'm in love.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Its too bad the series has been compromised in order for the developers to sell to a larger market by making the games on consoles.

The graphics, interface, and gameplay have been altered from the original spirit of the series in order to make the game playable on a console, and to me that's just selling out.

I'll be getting the PC version and hoping that the developers haven't forgotten that this kind of game is MADE for the PC.[/QUOTE]

you go girl, dont let more people play the game on a more stable platform!

[quote name='jer7583']you go girl, dont let more people play the game on a more stable platform![/QUOTE]

The 360 is stable?

:rofl:

Almost everyone in this thread has a 360 as noted by their sig and if it didn't come out on this platform most would have never played this game. I am very they happy that they "sold out" and are releasing it on the 360. I never played Morrowind but have heard and read many stories about and I'm really looking forward to playing oblivion.

[quote name='Roufuss']The 360 is stable?

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Mine sure has been. You only hear about the ones that break because, those people are pissed and are gonna tell everyone about it. For the hundreds of thousands of people who have had no problems at all, most of them aren't gonna post a topic saying "OMG my 360 is totally working fine!"

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Its too bad the series has been compromised in order for the developers to sell to a larger market by making the games on consoles.

The graphics, interface, and gameplay have been altered from the original spirit of the series in order to make the game playable on a console, and to me that's just selling out.

I'll be getting the PC version and hoping that the developers haven't forgotten that this kind of game is MADE for the PC.[/QUOTE]

crybaby.jpg

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Mine sure has been. You only hear about the ones that break because, those people are pissed and are gonna tell everyone about it. For the hundreds of thousands of people who have had no problems at all, most of them aren't gonna post a topic saying "OMG my 360 is totally working fine!"[/QUOTE]

I agree totally, I haven't had any problems with my 360 either.

BTW, That is hilarious scorch.:applause:

Saw the guide at EB today... its pretty big, 350 pages, however just flipping through it real fast it dosen't seem to be nearly as great as the Morrowind guide was.

Not sure if I'll lay down the $19.99 for it, which sucks, because I bought both the Daggerfall and Morrowind guides at launch and thought they were excellent.

Or, in the same irrational and ignorant breath, you could go on to say that gaming should have never left the arcade, as they are tailored differently for home consoles.

Not to mention that the Oblivion project isn't "compromised" for the 360 console, in turn compromised for the PC. This was the developer's choice, and an obvious progression from the last title in the series. You're trying to appear intelligent with overtones of "PC gaming is better", undertones of "Xbox sucks" and a mixturetone of "I liked their old stuff better."

In other words: Shut the fuck up.

[quote name='Brak']Or, in the same irrational and ignorant breath, you could go on to say that gaming should have never left the arcade, as they are tailored differently for home consoles.

Not to mention that the Oblivion project isn't "compromised" for the 360 console, in turn compromised for the PC. This was the developer's choice, and an obvious progression from the last title in the series. You're trying to appear intelligent with overtones of "PC gaming is better", undertones of "Xbox sucks" and a mixturetone of "I liked their old stuff better."

In other words: Shut the fuck up.[/QUOTE]

Damn Nas, spittin' the ether!

I put in a preorder for this at EB today. I was hoping to snag a CE copy but they told me they were all sold out already on preorders. If they get extra copies though, they said they'll bump me to a CE.

Can't wait though. This is the reason I bought a 360.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I put in a preorder for this at EB today. I was hoping to snag a CE copy but they told me they were all sold out already on preorders. If they get extra copies though, they said they'll bump me to a CE.
[/QUOTE]

What? Don't deal with that bullshit at EB, this isn't going to be like an MGS 3 LE fiasco... just head down to Best Buy or any other retailer, since they'll get the LE also.

[quote name='Roufuss']What? Don't deal with that bullshit at EB, this isn't going to be like an MGS 3 LE fiasco... just head down to Best Buy or any other retailer, since they'll get the LE also.[/QUOTE]
You can also use the 10% off coupon at BB as well

I can wait for this game...it seems like a dream come true, expecially with these daily teaser trailers I have to look forward to each day

[quote name='Zoglog']lol fanboys[/QUOTE]

i swear to god, i cannot understand you. You miss no opportunity to whore out the fact that you indeed did go to Zero Hour (the most recent attempt being 'I hope this game [the outfit] was better than the demo i played at zero hour!'), yet you do nothing but bash the 360.

[quote name='Roufuss']What? Don't deal with that bullshit at EB, this isn't going to be like an MGS 3 LE fiasco... just head down to Best Buy or any other retailer, since they'll get the LE also.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

As soon as I read that about EB not taking anymore preorders I thought "here we go again" (MGS3LE) and then I scrolled to your post...

I suppose that now EBGames is going to act like they know what the hell's going on and treat every CE/LE/SE as a rarity.

[quote name='rabbitt']Not sure if this has been posted or not, so I apologize if this is a repost, but here are the Oblivion achievements.

You have to scroll down a little to see them. I really dig the icons.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for 1 - 5 point achievements, but that was wishful thinking.

Regardless, I'm pleased.

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but what does the Collector's Edition come with? I'd like to know before I spend $10 more for it.

[quote name='Sk8erlink7']I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but what does the Collector's Edition come with? I'd like to know before I spend $10 more for it.[/QUOTE]

Bonus Features:
Pocket Guide to the Empire - A 112 page guide to every aspect of Tamriel, including its people, provinces and much more.

Making of Oblivion Documentary - Includes a special behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of Oblivion.

Septim Gold Coin - An authentic replicated Septim, the official currency of Tamriel.

[quote name='Sk8erlink7']I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but what does the Collector's Edition come with? I'd like to know before I spend $10 more for it.[/quote]
~45 minute "making-of" documentary, a hand guide to Tamriel (112 pages I think?), a gold Septim (the official currency of Tamriel), and mega bad-ass Lord of the Rings extended edition-esque packaging!

[quote name='Sk8erlink7']I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times already, but what does the Collector's Edition come with? I'd like to know before I spend $10 more for it.[/QUOTE]

Lots, and lots of cool stuff.

Also a condom with the Oblivion logo stretched on it. So even your partner can FEEL the hype!

MGS3: Subsistence LE really set the bar high for special editions. While the Oblivion coin is a really interesting bonus, I can't quite justify paying $70 for a game, even if it will supposedly last over 200 hours.

^^^ you've got to be fucking shitting me, i ordered the CE from Ebgames on 3/12/06, fuck i hope i still get it....

edit: my order still says OPEN....fuck...

Called my local gamestop (Local as in 40 minutes away.. heh) and they said they'll start selling pre-orders tomorrow at 5pm EST--- So I'm driving down to Altoona as soon as I get outta work and pick this beast up.

I can't wait, been playing Morrowind inbetween GRAW all weekend.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Lots, and lots of cool stuff.

Also a condom with the Oblivion logo stretched on it. So even your partner can FEEL the hype![/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: good one.

My gamestop is saying if they get them early, they will be on sale Tuesday.

Also, I switched my preorder from CE to regular. The extra 10 bucks just wasnt worth it imo, a 112 page guide, a dvd i'll never watch and a gold coin really isnt a selling point for me. But a side note, I read in OXM you can be a vampire, so I'm a bit excited for that.

[quote name='AshesofWake']^^^ you've got to be fucking shitting me, i ordered the CE from Ebgames on 3/12/06, fuck i hope i still get it....

edit: my order still says OPEN....fuck...[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl:

As Scorch pointed out, there are about 4 other places to get the CE from... I highly doubt this is going to turn into another MGS 3. This is just EB / GS being dicks probably.... I wouldn't worry at all. Best Buy is getting this Tuesday, so just stroll in there and pick it up.

[quote name='Supaman1489']... But a side note, I read in OXM you can be a vampire, so I'm a bit excited for that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I read that in the guide sounds cool, I'll be running around trying to find someone to bite me. :)

It seems to have both pros and cons. The more often you feed you'll remain more "human" being able to interact with others, but the longer between feedings you change in appearence (more vampiric) and get more abilities.

[quote name='Roufuss']:rofl: :rofl:

As Scorch pointed out, there are about 4 other places to get the CE from... I highly doubt this is going to turn into another MGS 3. This is just EB / GS being dicks probably.... I wouldn't worry at all. Best Buy is getting this Tuesday, so just stroll in there and pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Wait, Tuesday or Thursday?

I want to know when my academic career is going to end.

[quote name='Chacrana']Wait, Tuesday or Thursday?

I want to know when my academic career is going to end.[/QUOTE]

Their website says "Release date: 3/21" and I think even the ad mentions that it will be out Tuesday.

Best Buy is getting really good about getting things on time, or a day later. It's worth it to throw down a GGC on this, or PM a regular edition price to a collectors edition...

[quote name='Roufuss']Their website says "Release date: 3/21" and I think even the ad mentions that it will be out Tuesday.[/quote]

The Best Buy ad definitely says "available Tuesday." The Best Buy I usually go to is horrible about video games though, so I'm really praying they have it Tuesday (since I won't be able to go back for a while, and I want to use a RZ coupon and Giftcard on the CE).

[quote name='Roufuss']Their website says "Release date: 3/21" and I think even the ad mentions that it will be out Tuesday.

Best Buy is getting really good about getting things on time, or a day later. It's worth it to throw down a GGC on this, or PM a regular edition price to a collectors edition...[/QUOTE]

I'm trying that last method. But thanks for the heads up. I just finished Subsistence so I'm having that post-game bout of depression... looks like Oblivion can end that.

bread's done
Back