The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

Was able to get a CE at Best Buy, but then I had to work until 5. Hopefully I'll be putting in some massive playtime tonight.

Got it earlier, played through the tutorial and I am still sporting an erection. I have to go to work here in a few and it won't go down... What should I do? Just use the "Oh I don't have an erection, it must be an optical illusion" line?

In all seriousness though, this game is awesome and I can't wait to get home tonight so I can play more. Lucky for me, I have the next two days off. :)

this game is a whole lot of fun so far.

I just finished the tutorial part of it and on my way to my first real quest. I'm at such a low level though, got killed by a bandit that I ran into on the way

I did the first "quest" and Im still at level one. Is leveling up suppose to take this long? I'm thinking maybe I should just run around and kill random crabs for a while... I dunno.

[quote name='Scorch']I just.. can't stop playing.. it's.. so.. amazing.. was supposed to be at the girlfriend's house like an hour ago.. but.. Oblivion.. and she said I could bring the 360 and play it there.. but i don't want to move..[/QUOTE]

Did you get a chance to paralyze somebody and make them fall down the stairs? Or set a dog on fire?

[quote name='Staind204']I did the first "quest" and Im still at level one. Is leveling up suppose to take this long? I'm thinking maybe I should just run around and kill random crabs for a while... I dunno.[/QUOTE]

You level up by actively toiling away at your skills -- hitting stuff, running, jumping, etc.

Naturally, you wouldn't level up merely by talking to some guy behind a desk (the first quest).

[quote name='Brak']You level up by actively toiling away at your skills -- hitting stuff, running, jumping, etc.

Naturally, you wouldn't level up merely by talking to some guy behind a desk (the first quest).[/QUOTE]

True but I did kill quite a few crabs and 2 people on the way there. Also you kill things during the tutorial also. Is it best to stick with one weapon for a while or does it matter if you switch? What I'm asking is do weapons themselves level up (meaning you should stick with one) or just you? I'm sure I'd find out by playing but right now I'm trying to get this essay done but I find myself browsing the forums more than working on my paper :whistle2:(.

[quote name='Staind204']True but I did kill quite a few crabs and 2 people on the way there. Also you kill things during the tutorial also. Is it best to stick with one weapon for a while or does it matter if you switch? What I'm asking is do weapons themselves level up (meaning you should stick with one) or just you? I'm sure I'd find out by playing but right now I'm trying to get this essay done but I find myself browsing the forums more than working on my paper :whistle2:(.[/QUOTE]

Stick with whatever weapon is ideal for your class. I do well with short weapons, so I've been using those. Just look at your character's stats to see what weapon type suits you. This will also help you level up quicker.

By the way, I raided 2 or 3 forts and a couple of caves before I leveled up to 2. I lost count of how many people, orcs, ghosts, skeletons and other creatures I killed just to get to level 2.

[quote name='Pratt75']Cleaver, I just noticed the quote about Chuck Norris in your sig. That my man is pretty dam funny.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'm thinking about changing it to Vic Mackey, because we are all fucked if he ever gets his hands on the one ring.

I'm really sorta pissed about the soft shadows not being on, I wish they would have left the option to turn it on the PC one. Grrrrrr, some of us have extremely high end PC's and can run this game.

[quote name='Maynard']I'm really sorta pissed about the soft shadows not being on, I wish they would have left the option to turn it on the PC one. Grrrrrr, some of us have extremely high end PC's and can run this game.[/QUOTE]

they said that even the high end pcs couldn't run it with the soft shadows.

Anyways, my local ebgames that I had my preorder with left a message saying that UPS made a shipping error and I wouldn't be getting the game until tomorrow. Pft, yeah right, like I'm going to wait.. So I just went on over to Best Buy and picked up the CE edition for about $68 after tax and 10% coupon. Everyone was crowded around the Oblivion game holder. I'm about to put it in now! HERE WE GO!

[quote name='seanr1221']Sounds like a really dumb question, but if I'm good with daggers and swords, does that include longsword?[/QUOTE]

I think its all just classified as Blade. So, the answer is yes, I think..

[quote name='rabbitt']Just picked up Oblivion, but I probably won't get to play much tonight.[/QUOTE]

Stay up all night. Don't go to schoo' tomorrow. ;)

So according to IGN's "what we've played so far" review, its better to choose a "magic guy" rather than a "fighter guy". Is that what you guys are discovering, too?

[quote name='mmn']So according to IGN's "what we've played so far" review, its better to choose a "magic guy" rather than a "fighter guy". Is that what you guys are discovering, too?[/QUOTE]

I created my own class. I named it "Ranger." He uses sneak, marksman, blade, block, alchemy, light armor, and security. He's pretty much a combination of a thief, assassin, and archer. I focused on speed and agility since they help with my main skills like marksman, light armor, sneak, and security.
I love sneaking around and sniping enemies in the head with a poisoned arrow.

Ahh... just awesome.

So a Rat bit me, and now the thingy where it shows how much I can carry numberwise, has dropped. Is it ever going to go back up? I know sometimes you temporarily lose it for a few seconds, but it has been a few minutes.

[quote name='moojuice']So a Rat bit me, and now the thingy where it shows how much I can carry numberwise, has dropped. Is it ever going to go back up? I know sometimes you temporarily lose it for a few seconds, but it has been a few minutes.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was an enchanted rat of encumberance.

[quote name='moojuice']So a Rat bit me, and now the thingy where it shows how much I can carry numberwise, has dropped. Is it ever going to go back up? I know sometimes you temporarily lose it for a few seconds, but it has been a few minutes.[/QUOTE]
probably a disease, try picking up a Cure Common Disease Potion

...god i can't wait to (somehow) get this...

I only got to play for a little over an hour but fuck it's been great so far. I made my own class as well .. just a generic Wayfarer class. Mixed in a few stats together that wouldnt normally be there but I know I will use most.

[quote name='A7las']I created my own class. I named it "Ranger." He uses sneak, marksman, blade, block, alchemy, light armor, and security. He's pretty much a combination of a thief, assassin, and archer. I focused on speed and agility since they help with my main skills like marksman, light armor, sneak, and security.
I love sneaking around and sniping enemies in the head with a poisoned arrow.

Ahh... just awesome.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I customized the same class with all the same major jobs. I do the same thing also. Sticking to the shadows and sniping away most of the mobs.

Also if anyone wants some cool looking light Armor. Join the Dark Brotherhood by Murdering a Good NPC.

I have the same exact class but instead of block I chose acrobatics.

Something really weird just happen. I am on the quest where I have to go get Martin and so I am at Kvatch at the top of the hill where an Oblivion gate is and I am riding my horse. I must of hit the wrong button or something because out of no where, all of the fucking guards started to attack me. My last save point was at the guy you give the amulet to. :( I'll have to do it all over again. Oh well..

[quote name='mmn']So according to IGN's "what we've played so far" review, its better to choose a "magic guy" rather than a "fighter guy". Is that what you guys are discovering, too?[/quote]
Just depends on your play style... I choose Dark Elf for my class cause they are pretty well balanced in fighting and magic... I like to have the primary focus on strength though b/c I like plundering all the various caves and ruins as much as doing the quests and the stronger your character the more loot you can carry out with you ;) without having to go back and fourth.

But thats just me.

Well after around 5 hours I got to level 3 with my character. This game is simply amazing, it is the first must have 360 game. I was having major regrets about my purchase until this month. I bought Revenge and Oblivion and love them both. PDZ was cool but not worth getting the system for. What level is everyone else at?

[quote name='Staind204']Well after around 5 hours I got to level 3 with my character. This game is simply amazing, it is the first must have 360 game. I was having major regrets about my purchase until this month. I bought Revenge and Oblivion and love them both. PDZ was cool but not worth getting the system for. What level is everyone else at?[/quote]
Been playing for 6 hours and am on level 2... but only b/c I forgot that I had to go to sleep before leveling up :). It's not bothering me though, I've really been enjoying the game.

I must be doing something wrong. All of the armor provides pretty much the same level of coverage, same thing with swords.. I currently have the Steel Cutlass equipped, along with an Iron Shield. The sword seems extremely weak. It takes many, many hits to even kill civilians, which sucks. Other than that, amazing game. I've played it too many hours today.

[quote name='Scorch']I must be doing something wrong. All of the armor provides pretty much the same level of coverage, same thing with swords.. I currently have the Steel Cutlass equipped, along with an Iron Shield. The sword seems extremely weak. It takes many, many hits to even kill civilians, which sucks. Other than that, amazing game. I've played it too many hours today.[/QUOTE]

Repair them.

[quote name='Brak']Repair them.[/QUOTE]

I've done that. That's not what I was saying. I want more powerful weapons. My sword is only a 3. I thought i'd be able to kill civilians in one shot, so that kinda sucks. It just takes forever to kill anyone.

Forever = more than 5 hits.

Minor gripe, really, I can deal. Amazing game.

//edit: But while we're throwing out minor gripes.. what the hell's the deal with absolutely NO facial hair whatsoever in the game?!

It's late at night and I'm too tired to peruse the thread to see if it's been answered so apologies if it's already been discussed:

What's the save system like? I don't have much time to play now so will I find myself having to devote lots of time to advance and keep the progress to save?

Is there a lot of fiddling around with menus or is it pretty "action" driven control-wise?

Thanks.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']What's the save system like? I don't have much time to play now so will I find myself having to devote lots of time to advance and keep the progress to save?[/quote]

Save whenever you want, autosaves quite often. Just hit start and choose save.

Is there a lot of fiddling around with menus or is it pretty "action" driven control-wise?

Depends on your definition of "a lot". To change armor, weapons, mix items, choose different spells, etc., yeah. But once you're equipped and got armor on and whatnot, there's no reason to go back into the menus often.

[quote name='Blackshear']Just depends on your play style... I choose Dark Elf for my class cause they are pretty well balanced in fighting and magic... I like to have the primary focus on strength though b/c I like plundering all the various caves and ruins as much as doing the quests and the stronger your character the more loot you can carry out with you ;) without having to go back and fourth.

But thats just me.[/QUOTE]

I made my Morrowind character strong for that very reason, but this time around I didn't. I figured it wouldn't be so bad with the quick travel and all. Although, it is still a bit tedious.

But anyway, I'm surprised at how many things have been changed since Morrowind. Like, I don't know how you guys are doing money-wise, but I'm finding it much more difficult to get super rich like I did early on in Morrowind. Before, it was easy to simply steal some awesome armor from the guards when they weren't looking. Though now, you can't even sell stuff like that. I suppose they implemented the stolen goods system for that very reason. I mean , I had to sell a bunch of wolf pelts so I could make that little bit more I needed for my first house, but now I don't have the money to furnish the thing. Oh well, I guess I'll just need to work harder.
Well, I played 11.5 hours straight, and now it's time to get some sleep!

I havn't played Morrowind in a loooong time so right now I'm feeling a wee bit confused with different things, but I'm learning.

The quests to me make much more sense unlike morrowind.

Hmmm how do I raise the number of things I can hold? Does that come with level or what?

[quote name='seanr1221']

Hmmm how do I raise the number of things I can hold? Does that come with level or what?[/QUOTE]
It has to do with Strength.

Wow, I'm pretty bad at this game. Can't even figure out how to run, that's how much of a newb I am. Still, lots of fun. I said to myself "ok, lets just create the character and play the actual game later". Well, that was almost an hour ago. Damn addictive.

Yeah, I have a feeling when I start I might be in trouble...never played a Elder Scrolls game, don't even know what kind of character to create...oh well. Fun ahead

Yeah this game is intimidating, but not nearly as much as morrowind was. There are SO many options for everything, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

[quote name='A7las']I figured it wouldn't be so bad with the quick travel and all. Although, it is still a bit tedious.

But anyway, I'm surprised at how many things have been changed since Morrowind. Like, I don't know how you guys are doing money-wise, but I'm finding it much more difficult to get super rich like I did early on in Morrowind. Before, it was easy to simply steal some awesome armor from the guards when they weren't looking. Though now, you can't even sell stuff like that. I suppose they implemented the stolen goods system for that very reason. I mean , I had to sell a bunch of wolf pelts so I could make that little bit more I needed for my first house, but now I don't have the money to furnish the thing. Oh well, I guess I'll just need to work harder.
Well, I played 11.5 hours straight, and now it's time to get some sleep![/quote]
Even though the quick travel is a good feature, I couldn't help but dislike it at first because I really like the huge worlds this series provides to exlpore... and the huge distances you can travel in this game to get somewhere really add to the immersion factor to this game to me.. I haven't used it yet but as I play more and see more I'll probably end up using it.

You bring up the fact you can't sell stolen goods, I don't really like that either.. but surely I'll find somewhere where I can at some point.

The fact that you can't set how much you are selling somthing for like in Morrowind is slightly dissapointing as well, I used to like starting high and decreasing the price as slow as possible to ensure I got the highest prices (after using all the stuff I had to boost my personality).

It's cool that you already got a house, I'm still looking for one.

All in all, this is the best game I've played in a good while though, definately GOTY material.

[quote name='Blackshear']Even though the quick travel is a good feature, I couldn't help but dislike it at first because I really like the huge worlds this series provides to exlpore... and the huge distances you can travel in this game to get somewhere really add to the immersion factor to this game to me.. I haven't used it yet but as I play more and see more I'll probably end up using it.

You bring up the fact you can't sell stolen goods, I don't really like that either.. but surely I'll find somewhere where I can at some point.

The fact that you can't set how much you are selling somthing for like in Morrowind is slightly dissapointing as well, I used to like starting high and decreasing the price as slow as possible to ensure I got the highest prices (after using all the stuff I had to boost my personality).

It's cool that you already got a house, I'm still looking for one.

All in all, this is the best game I've played in a good while though, definately GOTY material.[/QUOTE]
Join the Thief's Guild and a dude there buys stolen Merch. Also the fast travel is pretty cool. I see it on the map as 5 major cities with dozens upoin dozens of caves that you cant fast travel to unless you have been there already.

So for someone who's completely new to the series is there a character/class that's most advantageous/easiest to deal with?

All this talk about being able to do this and that makes me really want this game. It'd probably the last one I pick up before I leave for the summer. So a good 7 weeks with just this and the other games I still have might justify the $70 price point (for the CE).

[quote name='SteveMcQ']So for someone who's completely new to the series is there a character/class that's most advantageous/easiest to deal with?

All this talk about being able to do this and that makes me really want this game. It'd probably the last one I pick up before I leave for the summer. So a good 7 weeks with just this and the other games I still have might justify the $70 price point (for the CE).[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm I'm not too sure. I picked a Combo between a Thief and a Assasian. I see it as a big advantage being able to sneak and steal basically anythiung you need. Now that I think of it a Battlemage would have been cool job since you can fight with blades and cast magic good also. I would say give a Thief or Battlemage a try.

I just did that online, create an Oblivion character thing. Shit, there's so many options it makes my head hurt. I'm starting to worry that I'll get a into the game and realize I'm blocked from using a certain item or ability and I'll be pissed.

The sneakiness is pretty big for me along with fighting (which kind of goes against each other I know). Someone said strength is a big factor as far as how much loot you can carry. I just don't want to have to trudge back and forth to get everything. At least that's how I understood the post as saying.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']So for someone who's completely new to the series is there a character/class that's most advantageous/easiest to deal with?

All this talk about being able to do this and that makes me really want this game. It'd probably the last one I pick up before I leave for the summer. So a good 7 weeks with just this and the other games I still have might justify the $70 price point (for the CE).[/QUOTE]

When you play other games what style of play do you like? Say in a FPS do you just muscle your way through? Or do you sneak around and avoid confrontation??

That alone will answer what class you need. The older games (daggerfall for sure cant remember on Arena) used to ask you a series of questions then make a suggestion on your chosen answers.

Dont do a theif or mage if you like brute force obviously.

I like to pick people off long-range. And I wanna do some Splinter Cell Sam Fisher type sneaky shit, but I want the option to knock some asses around if confronted.

bread's done
Back