The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='pimpinc333'] Also am I correct in saying that in Morrowind your characters fatigue wore down as you ran? And it was affected by how much weight you were carrying? Running in TES:O doesn't affect your Fatigue at all which is great.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. I remember the first time I played Morrowind. I was running out to the first dungeon mission of the game, and on my way I came upon this one guy who wanted to kill me. This wouldn't have been a problem except for the fact that I had already lost all of my fatigue. The guy promptly knocked me to the ground and pummeled me to death.
From then on I made sure that I always had at least half fatigue where ever I went. However, this took FOREVER. I was looking forward to the horse and the quick travel for that very reason, but if I can run without being fatigued then that is AWESOME.

I thought about skipping my long as hell (2 and a half hour) history class tomorrow to play Oblivion, but Scorch and Chacrana made me ashamed to even think about it.

I'm debating whether on not to go to class tomorrow. I have work in the afternoon, as well.

:/

Yea I work most of the day tomorrow but I have Wed. and Thurs. off so I'll be getting alot of time in then.

Also the Draw Distance is great. Nothing pops out onto you and you can see vast mountains in the background.

I also like the blocking. You control your characters blocking.

Stealth mode is a great addition as well since I used it tons of times today. I can't wait til Tomorrow Night.

So I might get horribly flamed for not keeping up with the news (if this has a demo out or will soon), but I'm wondering:

For someone who's never played and Elder Scrolls title and RPGs in general, is there anything here that could hold me over? Just wanted some thoughts. Thanks. Looks like fun though.

Yeah, I'm with Steve on this one. Is it newbie-friendly? GRAW was the first Ghost Recon I played and it is extremely friendly to newcomers. Is Oblivion one of those games?

[quote name='Warlock TCK']Yeah, I'm with Steve on this one. Is it newbie-friendly? GRAW was the first Ghost Recon I played and it is extremely friendly to newcomers. Is Oblivion one of those games?[/QUOTE]

I hope so too....I have it pre-ordered, but I never played any of the Elder Scrolls games. I only played a few RPG's also....but I enjoyed Final Fantasy X and Fable.

you don't need to have played the previous games to get into this one.

Also, they've done a better job of giving you a sense of direction in this game than in morrowind, but you can ignore it and go do your own thing too :)

Wow, alot of you guys are in college too? Anyways, i'm luckly; dont have to work untill Friday, and i;m on spring break. Plenty of time to do whatever. Yay.

[quote name='Warlock TCK']Yeah, I'm with Steve on this one. Is it newbie-friendly? GRAW was the first Ghost Recon I played and it is extremely friendly to newcomers. Is Oblivion one of those games?[/QUOTE]

Everything indicates that Oblivion will be accessible, but not noob-friendly to the point where it's boring for hardcore fans... I haven't played an ES game before either, but this game really doesn't seem like it'll have a huge learning curve.

[quote name='2Fast']Leaving to pick up my friend and go to Best Buy right now, I'm so fucking excited.[/QUOTE]

Is Best Buy supposed to have it today?

[quote name='Chacrana']Everything indicates that Oblivion will be accessible, but not noob-friendly to the point where it's boring for hardcore fans... I haven't played an ES game before either, but this game really doesn't seem like it'll have a huge learning curve.[/QUOTE]

Yep. The best thing to do is do a once through of thie manual before playing so you know all the buttons, what to do when you be encumbered, and other things. The first quest is a walkthrough basically. It lets you know how to do everything.

Also Jkircos BB should have it today.

[quote name='jkircos']Is Best Buy supposed to have it today?[/QUOTE]

The fliers said Thursday, but they'll probably have it today.

I feel like I have a stomach virus. Chalk that up with the fact that I woke up about 5 minutes before I usually leave for my first class and you've got the making of a bad morning. I'm going to suck it up and TRY to catch the end of my sociology class, swing by history class, then pick this game up. If i'm pukin' tonight, I better be pukin' while playing Oblivion.

[quote name='jkircos']Is Best Buy supposed to have it today?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Two Best Buy's out of six are already received it, according to the store locator... regular AND collector's editions. Take that, shitty EB / Gamestop!

I'm just waiting for the local one to receive its shipment before I run down there and snag it, and PM the regular price to a collector's edition.

I just saw a video of a regular NPC blocking sword shots with his fists, and taking 6 or 7 shots without even flinching....starting to think about reconsidering....

Picking it up this afternoon, during my lunch break but probably will not start to really get into to it until the weekend. I have off Friday so I am considering playing it all day or most of the day Friday.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I just saw a video of a regular NPC blocking sword shots with his fists, and taking 6 or 7 shots without even flinching....starting to think about reconsidering....[/QUOTE]

It was proabably a NPC that cannnot be killed becuase he/she is part of the story line. A crown will appear over them when you put your cursor on them. Thats mean they cannot be killed.

I'm going to try and pick this up today sometime, but I did a Best Buy check and none of them have it. I wonder if any CC's or Compusa will have it (they said it should be in stock today).

[quote name='bil4ltool']I'm going to try and pick this up today sometime, but I did a Best Buy check and none of them have it. I wonder if any CC's or Compusa will have it (they said it should be in stock today).[/quote]

Try Walmart. I just picked up the regular edition there. They had about 7 regulars, and 5 collector editions too.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yes because Stuff Magazine is a realible source for game reviews. :roll:[/QUOTE]

it is, they are the formeost experts on modern culture and have a hightened sense of quality.

checked a couple places today,

EB Games- called. said they had only the limited version for 360 as of 11am
Compusa- hadn't got any 360 or PC copies in yet
TRU- nothing yet

hopefully my buddy who works at Comp Usa will give me a call when the 360 copies come in.

[quote name='Jaket']about to leave for work, where i will be picking up my copy too (i work at gamestop) haha[/QUOTE]

Wow, Jake mentions he works at Gamestop. Again.

My GameCrazy got a bajillion copies of hte normal one and 5 copies of the limited edition. 4 of the 5 were preordered. I picked up my copy. I LOVE this game so far.

This game is awesome so far. I got into the imperial city. I went into the book store and picked up an apple I think it was, and the dude in it started flipping out LOL. Before I knew it a guard came, and sent me to the castle to search me. Then I talked to some guy there and he let me go see people in jail, and like a moron I picked up a pot on the group and he put me in a jail cell LOL

Well i played for about 2 hrs and have to say.....AWESOME.....sweet graphics,customizing and pychics. the story is soo nice and the game play is great. One long load after character creation and then all speedy from there....looks sweet in 3rd and 1st person and is SUPER ADDICTIVE...cant wait to play more...this game is a must have and just bumped GRAW to the curb....2hrs flew by like 5 min. if you want a game that keeps your interest and is just amazing this is that game

I think if you are picking up a lot of alchemic herbs in the field, there should be a 1/1000 chance that you will randomly 'raise your blunt skill'

got a call at 11:30 from my friend who works at Comp Usa, that they got their copies of Oblivion in. picked it up for only $39.99+ tax (after coupon) :)

I just realized something. I went into gamestop two times. Once to pre-order, and the seond time to pick it up. The first time, I went in, I said I wanted to pre-order it, and asked if i could get the CE. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he said something along the lines of having to wait untill tueday (in other words today) to see if they had extras. Then, I said ok, and walked out. Today, went in, asked if I could get the CE, guy said sure, charged me, and I left.

Whats so odd? Not once did they offer me to buy some card for deals on pre-owned, extra trade credit, etc. Oh well *shrugs*

Now that I have this and my recently purchased GTA San Andreas (which I never played all the way through) I should be busy for a long ass time. Oh and I finished the GRAW single player today....what a blast.

I just.. can't stop playing.. it's.. so.. amazing.. was supposed to be at the girlfriend's house like an hour ago.. but.. Oblivion.. and she said I could bring the 360 and play it there.. but i don't want to move..

I picked it up....but haven't played yet. Wife is intoo Jewel Quest...and since she is not feeling well, I will not push. I'm not hard over RPG's anyways...but the manual seems nice ;)

bread's done
Back