The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I like to pick people off long-range. And I wanna do some Splinter Cell Sam Fisher type sneaky shit, but I want the option to knock some asses around if confronted.[/QUOTE]

Personally I say pick up the game and read through some of the descriptions of the various classes. I am sure there will be more than one that fits you. In the older games they had all sorts of people capable of doing what you are asking for.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I just did that online, create an Oblivion character thing. Shit, there's so many options it makes my head hurt. I'm starting to worry that I'll get a into the game and realize I'm blocked from using a certain item or ability and I'll be pissed.

The sneakiness is pretty big for me along with fighting (which kind of goes against each other I know). Someone said strength is a big factor as far as how much loot you can carry. I just don't want to have to trudge back and forth to get everything. At least that's how I understood the post as saying.[/quote]
It sounds to me like the rouge class would probably suit you as a good class then; as for a race you' like, I'm not sure, I like Dark Elves b/c they are good with combat, strength, and destructive magic as well.. there are certainly better alternatives if you mainly want a stealthy character.

In Morrowind there where several items you could find or make yourself (especially later in the game) that you could use to boost stats your lacking in signifigantly.. so no matter what at some point in the game you should be able to do pretty much anything you want due to the versatility this game offers as far as improving your character with magic items, I'd imagine this to be possible in Oblivion as well.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Anyone know where to buy lockpicks?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing... I had, like, 27,000 of them from pilfering caves and tombs, now I have zero. I need one for a quest I'm on.

I managed to find one in someone's home, but I broke it. The 'Easy' locks are hard. :(

[quote name='pimpinc333']Join the Thief's Guild and a dude there buys stolen Merch. Also the fast travel is pretty cool. I see it on the map as 5 major cities with dozens upoin dozens of caves that you cant fast travel to unless you have been there already.[/QUOTE]

I knew there had to be some way to sell those stolen goods, but it still seems a bit silly to say that shopkeepers would be able to tell what goods were legit. I don't really care though because this game could have some of the worst problems, but I would still love it overall.

Blackshear: The haggle feature of price negotiations seems to be pretty similar in effect to Morrowind's. Instead of dealing with the price, you're changing the percentage of the value that he/she will buy it from you for. I kind of like it more, I don't have to keep upping the price on everything I sell. Instead, I set the percentage and sell everything; I know I'm getting the best price I can get for each item from that vendor.

Ok, what charcter/race has the best of both worlds...someone who has some strength, but can sneak around and steal stuff when needed? Are the orcs/water people/cat people any good?

I've never played...still waiting to fire it up. No time lately.

[quote name='doubledown']Ok, what charcter/race has the best of both worlds...someone who has some strength, but can sneak around and steal stuff when needed? Are the orcs/water people/cat people any good?

I've never played...still waiting to fire it up. No time lately.[/QUOTE]

Then play it yourself and see the attributes of each, lazy ass

Just got to the first gate to oblivion. Man, it looks so awesome. The two handed sword you get is cool aswell. I died at the end of the oblivion gate (well, I believe it was the end) haha. I need to level my guy up more before I complete it I guess. Awesome game though.

I chose a Breton simply because they're good with magicka and in every RPG I've ever played I always go the warrior route. Wanted to try something different this time, and I'm glad I did. The healing spell is really going to help me later on - I'll run away like a little girl, heal, then run back into battle.

[quote name='AshesofWake']is there a way to backstab people? like a critical hit or instant kill?[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

I'm not sure if you need to be a specific class or just good at sneaking, but you can do x times the damage on an enemy of you sneak up on them.

For me, it was 2x, while in sneaking mode, if I hit them long distance with an arrow. I got better at sneaking, and now it's 3x, even if I sneak up behind them and hit them with a blade, or what have you.

[quote name='Brak']Yeah.

I'm not sure if you need to be a specific class or just good at sneaking, but you can do x times the damage on an enemy of you sneak up on them.

For me, it was 2x, while in sneaking mode, if I hit them long distance with an arrow. I got better at sneaking, and now it's 3x, even if I sneak up behind them and hit them with a blade, or what have you.[/QUOTE]

The stealth thing actually sounds really cool... I can't wait to shoot a civilian through an open window with a bow. The game got a 95% in PC Gamer in case anyone cares... that's a really fucking high score for that magazine.

[quote name='Brak']Yeah.

For me, it was 2x, while in sneaking mode, if I hit them long distance with an arrow. I got better at sneaking, and now it's 3x, even if I sneak up behind them and hit them with a blade, or what have you.[/QUOTE]

I threw a fireball and it was 6x for me, though that only means 30 since my fireball did 5 damage or so.

The stealth thing actually sounds really cool... I can't wait to shoot a civilian through an open window with a bow. The game got a 95% in PC Gamer in case anyone cares... that's a really ing high score for that magazine.

I've yet to see an open window. I tried to shoot an arrow through the slit in a jail cell but it didn't work.

My sneaking is actually really high, I was able to break in a house via lockpick and steal the belongings while the person slept. I tried to pickpocket him and he woke up, said "What are you doing?!".. then turned around and fell asleep on the bed behind him. I didn't ask questions, I just left and took a horse. Then I had guards after me and bleh.

OK, I picked a Nord, and he is kicking everyone's ass. I stole some stuff from a farmer near Cholla or whatever that town with the C is called, and a guard confronted me about 5 minutes later, and I kicked his ass! I thought, early in this game, you couldn't beat down the guards? My Nord is a beast!

Does anyone if, after you've been chased by a towns guards for murder or whatnot, if they eventually forget about it and let you back into town? Or do you have to serve jailtime? I've gotten into trouble just about everywhere I go ;)

ok i chose knight and now i'm unsure on whether I made the right choice or not. Can I change class? or do i just have to go all the way back and do it all over again

Does anyone if, after you've been chased by a towns guards for murder or whatnot, if they eventually forget about it and let you back into town? Or do you have to serve jailtime? I've gotten into trouble just about everywhere I go

They chase you no matter how far you go, I think! I can never beat them. My guy just simply can't. I'm trying to build him up though. I took a horse, ran across a huge bridge, through a field and found a house with the guy outside. I went inside and started to steal from his desk and whatnot.. about 30-40 seconds later, a guard burst through the door and confronted me.. and promptly killed me after I resisted arrest.

ok i chose knight and now i'm unsure on whether I made the right choice or not. Can I change class? or do i just have to go all the way back and do it all over again

It gives you the option to change the class again before you leave the sewer.

Sounds like one of the big problems with this game is the stealing mechanic. You can steal a horse, with NOBODY around, travel across the entire world, get off your horse, and some random villager will scream "Thief!" and everyone will come out of the woodwork to come and kill you.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Does anyone if, after you've been chased by a towns guards for murder or whatnot, if they eventually forget about it and let you back into town? Or do you have to serve jailtime? I've gotten into trouble just about everywhere I go ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure.

Oblivion does something that Morrowind did (that I fuckin' hated). If I rob a house in another city, and not get spotted, and go to another city and talk to a guard, that action of speaking becomes me automatically turning myself in. Now, I know it's easy to just not talk to guards... but I got a ton of shit I swiped taken away from me because I had to talk to a guard for a side-quest.

However, I'm not sure if they eventually forget your crimes. I hope so.

In this regard, it seems a lot better than Morrowind, where guards on another planet somehow see the crimes you commit, no matter what. That used to get my goat.

I choose to go with an imperial race and knight class. I like him so far, I'm having a lot of fun. I have close to 9 hours or so in the game and I am at level 3 at the moment. Once I get tired of this character I will probably make a thief/assassin/rouge type character.

[quote name='RawisJericho']I choose to go with an imperial race and knight class.[/quote]

Same here. I like him so far, he's pretty buff.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Sounds like one of the big problems with this game is the stealing mechanic. You can steal a horse, with NOBODY around, travel across the entire world, get off your horse, and some random villager will scream "Thief!" and everyone will come out of the woodwork to come and kill you.[/quote]

Accidentally stealing shit is way too easy too. All I wanted to do was sit down at the inn and socialize with the merchants and the next thing I know, I go to stand up and find that I've pocketed a bottle of ale. At least it was something cheap.

[quote name='mmn']Uhm. I still can't figure out how to run. Help?[/QUOTE]

Put pressure, forwards, on the left analog stick..?

As your character levels up, he'll be able to walk / run faster, if you select to do so.

[quote name='mmn']Oh. I thought my character would move faster than he does, but that's alright. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Build it up! As Brak said, the more you level up, the faster he goes. Got to level 2 today and it feels like my guy's actually running

[quote name='mmn']Oh. I thought my character would move faster than he does, but that's alright. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Makes me think of Morrowind... I hated how, essentially, you had to walk from city to city -- mostly 'cos you walked slow as all fuck.

It's a little faster in this game. Matches the pace...

I only wish there was a button to make the horses gallup. Horse riding feels pretty sluggish.

Well, I have had no problem selling my stolen goods to regular shop keepers.

Anyone break into an old farmers house, and steal his shoes while he's sleeping? ;)

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Well, I have had no problem selling my stolen goods to regular shop keepers.

Anyone break into an old farmers house, and steal his shoes while he's sleeping? ;)[/QUOTE]

I broke in by picking the lock during the day and he was standing next to the door as soon as I walked in. Right away he said to me "You should go now". I didn't like his tone so I killed him. Apparently "unseen forces" saw me do it (whatever the fuck that means).

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Right away he said to me "You should go now". I didn't like his tone so I killed him.[/quote]
That's what I like to hear! :rofl:

Is it just me, or is hurling fire balls at deer really as funny as HELL!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I broke in by picking the lock during the day and he was standing next to the door as soon as I walked in. Right away he said to me "You should go now". I didn't like his tone so I killed him. Apparently "unseen forces" saw me do it (whatever the fuck that means).[/QUOTE]

Probably "The Dark Brotherhood".

I guess the only way to join is to murder someone (in cold blood; hence "murder"). They come to you in your sleep to recruit you. So, possibly, next time you sleep, a Dark Brotherhood dude will be standing over you.

Funnily enough.. I randomly killed someone and the guards came after me. I went to sleep. When I woke up, the guy from The Dark Brotherhood talked to me. As soon as I was able to move, guards ran over. The Dark Brotherhood leader tried to defend me, but was killed by the guards. Something came up that told me I could no longer join The Dark Brotherhood since the leader was dead.

I didn't save it, though.

[quote name='2Fast']That's what I like to hear! :rofl:

Is it just me, or is hurling fire balls at deer really as funny as HELL![/QUOTE]

Nah, punching a wolf as it attacks is better. I was traveling through the woods and a wolf came up and was going to attack me but I didn't have anything equipped so I just punched it. One hit kill too, I made that wolf my bitch.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Nah, punching a wolf as it attacks is better. I was traveling through the woods and a wolf came up and was going to attack me but I didn't have anything equipped so I just punched it. One hit kill too, I made that wolf my bitch.[/quote]

I tried that too, but the wolf gave me some sort of disease :/

[quote name='Scorch']Funnily enough.. I randomly killed someone and the guards came after me. I went to sleep. When I woke up, the guy from The Dark Brotherhood talked to me. As soon as I was able to move, guards ran over. The Dark Brotherhood leader tried to defend me, but was killed by the guards. Something came up that told me I could no longer join The Dark Brotherhood since the leader was dead.

I didn't save it, though.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. I joined the Dark Brotherhood, since I hate being all nice and stuff. Plus, I like the sweet gear they wear.

I think I'll be joining the Dark Brotherhood later tonight, there's this beggar that looks at me cock-eyed.

I have the perfect plan too: first, I'll invite him over to my "house" for good conversation, wine and spirits, promises of a gold coin or two, and then while I'm giving him a back-rub, I'll straight murder his ass!

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']That's awesome. I joined the Dark Brotherhood, since I hate being all nice and stuff. Plus, I like the sweet gear they wear.[/QUOTE]

I found this church near Bravil. If you look at the map, find Bravil, then to the northeast of it you'll see the words "NIBON BAY".. there's an island right above the 'B' in Nibon. Anyway, it's on one of the shores there. I went in and there were two Necromancers (I think) and a bunch of dead bodies and severed body parts (along with a human heart that I picked up and ate). Anyway, to get to my point.. they have a badass robe. No hoods though. It's just a black cloak with a big red skull on it. Pretty sweet. But again, no hood. Still wearing the red hood I picked up off a guard at the very, very, very beginning of the game.

[quote name='Scorch']Funnily enough.. I randomly killed someone and the guards came after me. I went to sleep. When I woke up, the guy from The Dark Brotherhood talked to me. As soon as I was able to move, guards ran over. The Dark Brotherhood leader tried to defend me, but was killed by the guards. Something came up that told me I could no longer join The Dark Brotherhood since the leader was dead.

I didn't save it, though.[/QUOTE]

LOL That shit is funny. When I play through again ill have to remeber to try and do that.

This bitch gave me an attitude earlier... I talked to her and she was "What?" Such blatant disrespect on the part of a woman cannot go unpunished. I murdered her and killed her husband... some other women got scared when they saw the killing and that was annoying so I killed them too.

Dude this game kicks so much ass. I have it for PC and... wow. I spent like 5 minutes just looking at the scenery in the first room (jail cell?)...

Wow.

[quote name='2Fast']Same here. I like him so far, he's pretty buff.[/QUOTE]
What type of weapon do you use? I'm going with sword/shield. Also what is your birth sign? I didn't know what to pick so I went with the warrior, probably a bad choice.

[quote name='Scorch']I found this church near Bravil. If you look at the map, find Bravil, then to the northeast of it you'll see the words "NIBON BAY".. there's an island right above the 'B' in Nibon. Anyway, it's on one of the shores there. I went in and there were two Necromancers (I think) and a bunch of dead bodies and severed body parts (along with a human heart that I picked up and ate). Anyway, to get to my point.. they have a badass robe. No hoods though. It's just a black cloak with a big red skull on it. Pretty sweet. But again, no hood. Still wearing the red hood I picked up off a guard at the very, very, very beginning of the game.[/quote]

I like the robes as well. When you first exit the sewers at the beginning of the game, walk directly across the water and there is a tomb like thing you can go into. I ended up running into a necro in there at the very end. Seems like he was an outcast and that was the only place he could practice his trade.

When you ran into those two necros, did they attack you? The one I ran into tried to dagger me to death.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']This game alone saved me from selling my 360. Damn, I'm glad I waited because it is an excellent game.[/QUOTE]

Same with me.

I'm up to level 5 now with my imperial knight. I ended up getting a full imperial armor set except for the shield off some dead guards. I also just joined the blades right before I got on here.

One thing I have a question about is I walked up to some rocks (in Bravil I believe) standing up in the ground and it asked if I wanted to bound weapons to me or something along those lines. I ended up saying yes and I got a shitty dagger and some gauntlets bounded to me and I could not remove them. I also lost my sword and shield. I didn't know how long this lasted for so I just went back to my last save. Whats the lowdown on those things?

[quote name='asianxcore']what towns can you sell stuff at? I'm carrying too much[/QUOTE]

every town.

how the fuck do you beat kurdan's orc hunter.. this is ridiculous.. he kills me every single fucking time

[quote name='RawisJericho']What type of weapon do you use? I'm going with sword/shield. Also what is your birth sign? I didn't know what to pick so I went with the warrior, probably a bad choice.

I like the robes as well. When you first exit the sewers at the beginning of the game, walk directly across the water and there is a tomb like thing you can go into. I ended up running into a necro in there at the very end. Seems like he was an outcast and that was the only place he could practice his trade.

When you ran into those two necros, did they attack you? The one I ran into tried to dagger me to death.

Same with me.

I'm up to level 5 now with my imperial knight. I ended up getting a full imperial armor set except for the shield off some dead guards. I also just joined the blades right before I got on here.

One thing I have a question about is I walked up to some rocks (in Bravil I believe) standing up in the ground and it asked if I wanted to bound weapons to me or something along those lines. I ended up saying yes and I got a shitty dagger and some gauntlets bounded to me and I could not remove them. I also lost my sword and shield. I didn't know how long this lasted for so I just went back to my last save. Whats the lowdown on those things?[/QUOTE]

I think these are the Oblivion Gate bad dude gear. I ran into one of those and I zoomed out on my Character and he had the helmet of one of those bad dudes for like 5 mins until it wore off. Very werid.

[quote name='RawisJericho']What type of weapon do you use? I'm going with sword/shield. Also what is your birth sign? I didn't know what to pick so I went with the warrior, probably a bad choice.[/quote]

I'm the exact same as you.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I think these are the Oblivion Gate bad dude gear. I ran into one of those and I zoomed out on my Character and he had the helmet of one of those bad dudes for like 5 mins until it wore off. Very werid.[/quote]

Ok so it is a timed thing....thats cool. I thought I was going to lose my stuff and freaked out.

bread's done
Back