The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

[quote name='RCS0926']Just want to point out that you have to have the Dawnguard DLC installed.[/QUOTE]

Only to upgrade the totems. You do not need DLC to use the basic ability.

[quote name='Indignate']Only to upgrade the totems. You do not need DLC to use the basic ability.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification.

Strategy guide is on sale on Amazon, and half-off at Gamestop. In case anyone wanted to know.

I'm playing as a vampire in Oblivion, so I might get down with the werewolf stuff in Skryim. Whenever I get around to starting it.

Ive ran into a glitch. For a while now ive had this book called N'Gasta! Kvata! Kvakis! that i couldnt get rid of because its a quest item. Just now i got the quest from the Orc in the College of Winterhold library. He wants the book and told me to find it in Bleak Falls Barrow. Well even though i already raided that place, and had the book in my inventory, i went through it again. Got to the chest that shows an arrow, the book isnt there. I even took everything out of the chest. So i go to the Orc to see if he will take the one i already have, and nothing comes up. It was my bad decision to raid random caves early in the game. I end up with quest items like this, or having to go through the same areas over again because it seems like there is always some type of quest linked to a place. If i ever replay this game im not going to wonder around like that again.

So I got kind of frustrated over Delvin and Vex not giving me Makarth jobs, so I attacked Brynjolf. It started a big melee between everyone in the guild and after things calmed down I had to pay Vex 1000 gold to be readmitted. Here's the thing though, it worked. Immediately afterwards, Delvin gave me a Markarth job. After coming back from that one, I couldn't get another Markarth job, so I killed this idiot named Dirge, got ejected from the guild again and paid to get back in, and immediately got two more Markarth jobs. So far it hasn't worked a third time though.

I was messing around with the Kinect commands this morning, and I really like the ability to save quickly without opening up the menu. I don't have shouts yet, but I know the voice commands will come in handy once I do have them. I'll have to mess around a bit with fast equipping items and spells.

Im kind of wondering which way i should go with my character now. I am a level 53... I just made the Aetherial Crown, so it made me look at my levels and what standing stone i should use. (can i use Mage and Warrior stone with this crown?) Right now i use the thief stone. But here are my stats that stone would help me with.

Archery 100
Alchemy 45
Light Armor 90
Lock Picking 100
Pick Pocket 61
Sneak 100
Speech 71

I pretty much am done with these skills. I like to sneak and use the bow a lot. Pick Pocket and speech is high enough i think to go on. Alchemy i really dont care about, i never use potions anyway.

For the Warrior stone my stats are

Block 45
Heavy Armor 48
One Handed 70
Smithing 78
Two Handed 37

This i really dont use at all. I guess Block sometimes when im detected, but that rarely happens anymore. Never use heavy armor, or two handed weapons. Only thing i would like is to get 100 in smithing.

And for the Mage

Alteration 20
Illusion 21
Conjuration 34
Enchanting 100
Restoration 36
Destruction 50

Now i was thinking of using another character and use mainly magic, becoming a vampire, and doing more evil decisions since my character now is moral and honest usually. But im not sure how likely or even when id go about replaying this game with a new character. I thought it would be cool to go from stealth archer into a magic wielding wizard... change my hair and beard to white/gray like im older now. But if i did replay the game like i wanted, would doing this ruin the experience the 2nd time around if i play the same way? Im not even sure if my magic would be effective at this stage of the game with my current character because it is so weak. I almost always used my upgrades on health or stanima, since i dont use magic at all.

IDK i still have yet to finish my werewolf perks, and havent joined the dark brotherhood yet. I havent even bought Dragon Born DLC. So i still have a while to go before im finished with everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez. I finished all of the big questlines and a lot of sidequests in the main game, plus Dawnguard and Dragonborn, and was only at like level 42. I had level 100 in One-Handed, next highest was Heavy Armor at like 85. I hadn't done any training at all since I had it in my head that I needed to save up all the money I could. Now I have 120,000+ gold and I can't spend it on training now because it's throttled by level. I wish I had been training this whole time.

I'm level 55, finished everything except for main quest (which I only have the last mission or 2 to go), civil war quest, and DLC. 100 in One-Handed, Heavy Armor, and Smithing with 98 Lockpick, 87 or so Enchanting. Magic skills are all in the 70's. Dont think I ever trained either lol

All achievements done except for get to Level 50 and defeat a Legendary Dragon (which start spawning when you're level 78). I'm level 45 at this point. I think I may put down the game until the next DLC is out, rather than try to powerlevel to 78 all at once.

I think I need to focus more on doing the major quests. Thus far, I've spent most of my time doing the Miscellaneous quests. The last few times I've played have been a bit of a drag, but I started a major quest this morning and had a ton of fun going tomb raiding.

Ran into my first glitch a couple of days ago during the "Take Up Arms" quest. I'm supposed to give Aela her shield, but she's nowhere to be found. Fortunately, I found out about the "walking through walls" glitch using a wooden plate. I tested it out this morning and was able to find her. I'm supposed to attack her and lure her back to Whiterun, but I didn't have time to do it. Still, I'm glad I'll be able to continue on with the Companions quest line.

I thought I ran into another glitch in Folgunthur. I couldn't get past a gate that led to some downward spiraling stairs. I thought I had set the pillars properly (matched to another room with pillars), but as it turns out, I had to mirror the set-up that was in the other room. It took me like 20 minutes to figure this out, but at least it wasn't a glitch.

Is there really no way to get the peaceful way of releasing the prisoner in "missing in action"? The wiki says after a while you talk to the general in solitude and he will give you a note to show the guard at the front gate to release the guy. But ive done everything and he still wont let him free. Some people on other forums say the game shipped before they could complete the peaceful option, so there is no way to get the letter to release the guy with a peaceful action. But im not 100% sure i believe this because i think people are too quick to yell glitch or make up a reason for them not figuring out how to complete a quest. I thought maybe i had to find all the stormcloak camps and clear them all, then maybe he would give me the letter.

Also is there a good way and evil way to do the dark brotherhood quests, or is it just evil no matter what?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Ive ran into a glitch. For a while now ive had this book called N'Gasta! Kvata! Kvakis! that i couldnt get rid of because its a quest item. Just now i got the quest from the Orc in the College of Winterhold library. He wants the book and told me to find it in Bleak Falls Barrow. Well even though i already raided that place, and had the book in my inventory, i went through it again. Got to the chest that shows an arrow, the book isnt there. I even took everything out of the chest. So i go to the Orc to see if he will take the one i already have, and nothing comes up. It was my bad decision to raid random caves early in the game. I end up with quest items like this, or having to go through the same areas over again because it seems like there is always some type of quest linked to a place. If i ever replay this game im not going to wonder around like that again.[/QUOTE]

Something similar happened to me with the Bard's College and the instruments they wanted.

[quote name='The 7th Number']
Also is there a good way and evil way to do the dark brotherhood quests, or is it just evil no matter what?[/QUOTE]
You get to make a couple of choices as far as the Dark Brotherhood quests go, but they aren't necessarily good or evil. That questline is very morally grey. You always kill people, but it's always people that deserve it.

Hmmm, are there any gamercards for forum signatures that show up to date skyrim stats? I know ive seen some for certain games alone, maybe like battlefield? IDK maybe those kinds of things only work for pc games?

My character in Skyrim uses one-handed weapons, and I've pretty much just stuck to swords. However, I was wondering if it's better to use axes or maces instead. I know axes cause bleeding damage although I'm not sure how much, and I also know maces do more damage but are slow. Can anyone recommend using maces/axes over swords?

[quote name='RCS0926']My character in Skyrim uses one-handed weapons, and I've pretty much just stuck to swords. However, I was wondering if it's better to use axes or maces instead. I know axes cause bleeding damage although I'm not sure how much, and I also know maces do more damage but are slow. Can anyone recommend using maces/axes over swords?[/QUOTE]

Stick to swords... You need a perk to cause bleeding damage with axes, and they're still slow, though not even close to as slow as maces. Plus, there are way more swords in the game, comparatively. The only way I would suggest one of the other two is if it was a Daedric artifact, or super powerful quest reward, but right now, the only one I can even think of is the Mace of Molag Bal, which I thought was weak, anyways... I would say that a dagger might be a good option. Super fast, and there are some great ones out there!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Stick to swords... You need a perk to cause bleeding damage with axes, and they're still slow, though not even close to as slow as maces. Plus, there are way more swords in the game, comparatively. The only way I would suggest one of the other two is if it was a Daedric artifact, or super powerful quest reward, but right now, the only one I can even think of is the Mace of Molag Bal, which I thought was weak, anyways... I would say that a dagger might be a good option. Super fast, and there are some great ones out there![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have to look into using daggers more. I've ignored them too.

[quote name='RCS0926']Thanks. I have to look into using daggers more. I've ignored them too.[/QUOTE]

Love dual wielding the blade of woe and mehrunes razor! Sneak up on 'em, and they have no chance! Plus, even solo, the razor has a chance to insta-kill anyone/thing.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Stick to swords... You need a perk to cause bleeding damage with axes, and they're still slow, though not even close to as slow as maces. Plus, there are way more swords in the game, comparatively. The only way I would suggest one of the other two is if it was a Daedric artifact, or super powerful quest reward, but right now, the only one I can even think of is the Mace of Molag Bal, which I thought was weak, anyways... I would say that a dagger might be a good option. Super fast, and there are some great ones out there![/QUOTE]

Molag Bal mace is one of the best weapons in the game. If you're 100 in 1-handed, improved it does 70 damage a hit & pristine it does at least 90.

But I used swords until I got Bal's mace.

I mostly used swords because of their speed and the critical hit perks. Also the game loves to give you unique swords with strong enchantments, moreso than the other weapon types it seems to me.

I cant seem to get any of the werewolf totem quests. Whenever i talk to aela she just has "im looking for work" which always sends me on a quest to kill an animal in a cave, or in someones house. If i talk to people at the companions house they send me on the same type of quest. Maybe its not giving me it because im married to aela? Or maybe you have to have all werewolf perks? I need 1 more to get the achievement.

Hmmm i read if you delete the hearthfire dlc, you can get these missions. It has something to do with getting married to aela. But im not sure if i would lose my house/kids, not to mention all of the armor and weapons ive collected, if i deleted it, but then reinstalled it.

Also i went to every stormcloak camp and killed everyone except the leaders, who cant be killed. Thinking maybe if i did that then the general would give me the letter to free the guy. So i go to talk to the general guy in solitude and the lady thats always next to him starts attacking me for no reason. Everyone else didnt do anything, i ran outside and let the guards see she was attacking me and all they did was run. IDK why she was attacking me, i did go up to 4 murders, but none of the guards did or said anything to me. I dont even know how i got the extra 1 murder because all i did was kill stormcloaks and animals.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Molag Bal mace is one of the best weapons in the game. If you're 100 in 1-handed, improved it does 70 damage a hit & pristine it does at least 90.

But I used swords until I got Bal's mace.[/QUOTE]

Crazy... I thought it did less... If that's true, then it might make up for the speed.

What a dumb game. I went back to my house to get the Glenmoril witch heads so maybe aela would give me a totem quest, nope, she gives me another quest to get rid of an animal. So i went to the companion house and vilkas gave me a kidnapping quest, so i did it. Then he said he wanted to be cleansed of the wolfblood. I thought finally some progress. So i agree to help him and then we leave the companions house and he stops following me. I talk to him and tell him to follow me and he says i already have someone following me. So i fast travel to the Tomb of Ysgramor and enter it and the quest is now in the dark area like its been done, yet if i look at the quest the little diamond is hollow like it hasnt been done. I went to the Flame of the Harbinger anyway and when i try to activate it it does nothing, not even ask if i want to be cleansed of the wolfblood. :bomb:

[quote name='The 7th Number']What a dumb game. I went back to my house to get the Glenmoril witch heads so maybe aela would give me a totem quest, nope, she gives me another quest to get rid of an animal. So i went to the companion house and vilkas gave me a kidnapping quest, so i did it. Then he said he wanted to be cleansed of the wolfblood. I thought finally some progress. So i agree to help him and then we leave the companions house and he stops following me. I talk to him and tell him to follow me and he says i already have someone following me. So i fast travel to the Tomb of Ysgramor and enter it and the quest is now in the dark area like its been done, yet if i look at the quest the little diamond is hollow like it hasnt been done. I went to the Flame of the Harbinger anyway and when i try to activate it it does nothing, not even ask if i want to be cleansed of the wolfblood. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I can't address your problem but a Dumb game? Nah, just a massive open-world game with near countless ways for bugs/glitches and random acts of fustration and humor to occur. Count the games of this size and type...not that much. Bethesda practically made this style of game. Accept the fact that no matter how many hours good QA testers play this game, they won't find everything.

Be happy: Bethesda and ZeniMax studios are constantly trying to fix reported issues with patches (how many now?). A lot of developers never address issues with some games. For PS3 gamers, Bethesda still hasn't given up trying to fix the DLC issue.

Pro tip: Have a save game file that is used only to save progress every few or more hours of play. If your very unlucky perhaps another before taking on a quest. So you don't loose countless hours with a character from a quest ending bug. I do this and when I do encounter a quest problem It's just one save load away to remedy.

Good luck with your issue.

I make a permanent save at least every couple of hours; I probably have over a hundred of them. Luckily I've run into few if any major bugs, aside from loading screens crashing the Xbox which has happened a dozen times or so. I guess it pays to wait a year before playing a Bethesda game.

i have almost 700 saves. LOL. I save a lot. Anyway, i was able to read online about how to fix the problem, and i was able to cure both the guys from the companion house after all. Still trying to get aela to give me the totem missions without having to delete heartfire DLC. I got a quest to kill an animal in a cave i havent found yet, and had to save and turn it off for now. But hopefully ill get them tonight since i did the other 2 guy quests.

PS. Dumb game, poor choice of words. I love this game, it just gets annoying when i have to go on the internet to figure out how to get past something that shouldnt happen. But like shifty said, this game is massive and they cant catch everything that goes wrong. :)

WOW!!!! :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

So im trying to do this quest where i save dawnstar from some skull that does something with peoples dreams. Im near the end, and i go to save the game.... game freezes. So i reset my xbox try again, same results. Try again, same results. So i say fuck this im not going to try to save until im out of the castle. I get past everything, and im done with the quest, now all i have to do is get out of the castle. I get lost and press B to see my map... autosave and game freezes. Seriously??? Spent over 30 minutes replaying this damn quest part only for the game to freeze up every time. Guess ill try again and turn auto save off.

YES! finally got out of the castle and was able to save without it freezing. "a walking nightmare" was an appropriate quest name for that one. :D

WEIRD! I went to sleep with my wife and i woke up with the dark brotherhood quest. Except instead of killing one of the three guys, i killed the dark brotherhood lady. Sure i didnt get the achievement, but it sent me on a quest to clear them out, and i learned a shout from within their lair. Anyway i think it glitched and i learned 2 new "drain vitality" shouts. I have the normal one, and 2 others now. The 2 others are the same as each other, except one is drain 1% health and 1% magic i think for 20 seconds. Something like that, and the other drain vitality is the same thing except 2% for each drain. LOL. Weird stuff.

[quote name='Indignate']One save. Always and forever.[/QUOTE]

Foolish but sexy.

[quote name='The 7th Number']WEIRD! I went to sleep with my wife and i woke up with the dark brotherhood quest. Except instead of killing one of the three guys, i killed the dark brotherhood lady. [/QUOTE]

What is this... I don't even.

I think I'm a little past 150 total saves made. Saving takes too long, and my time is worth stuff.

And wasn't there a thing that having a lot of saves made the game glitch/lag/be slower? Or was that the size of the save? Or was that a Fallout 3/Oblivion problem?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']
Why would you do that? That's one of the best questlines in the whole goddamn game and you ruuuuuuined it.[/QUOTE]

my character is a good guy, the only logical thing to do was kill the person who was making me kill someone. Plus i didnt think she would actually die, but she did, and i went with it. Ill do the brotherhood in another character. Then again i did save it right before killing one of the four. So i can always go back and reply that part, same with dawnguard, i have it saved right before i choose to be a vampire or walk away.

I want to make a 2nd character who is evil, steals, everything bad. But idk if a vampire Khajiit would be a good mix. I just thought someone who is in the darkness a lot might benefit from being able to see in the dark. lol.

Total, I have 650+ saves in Skyrim...I think about a dozen or so slots. Most of them I imagine are set before major questlines such as the Guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc.

[quote name='Indignate']I think I'm a little past 150 total saves made. Saving takes too long, and my time is worth stuff.

And wasn't there a thing that having a lot of saves made the game glitch/lag/be slower? Or was that the size of the save? Or was that a Fallout 3/Oblivion problem?[/QUOTE]

PS3 Skyrim.

I started a new character today, a Khajiit named Sabertooth that im going to use mainly magic and thieve skills with, and join the stormcloaks, dark brotherhood, and other evil decisions to make. I already went to the Lovers Stone and will use that to upgrade any skill 15% faster. When i started my first character i picked warrior and ended up doing mostly thief type skills so that 20% bonus really went to waste. I also moved my Hearthfire and dawnguard DLC to my other hard drive so i dont have to worry about quests messing up hopefully. I also dont want random vampires killing quest givers, so thats one reason i didnt want it installed yet. I might wait until im fully done with everything else before i reinstall it. Im only raiding caves and other places when i get a quest to do so. We will see how well this goes.

[quote name='The 7th Number']When i started my first character i picked warrior and ended up doing mostly thief type skills so that 20% bonus really went to waste.[/QUOTE]
You know you can go back to the Stones and change your bonus at any time right?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You know you can go back to the Stones and change your bonus at any time right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i meant it was a waste because i got up to level 38 before i realized this and changed it. I went in not really knowing how i was going to play, or what those stones really meant.

Dumb question, but how do you delete saves in Skyrim? I have close to 400 for my single character. I haven't looked up how to manage your saves, but I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me a quick explanation of how to do so. I'll see if I can clean up my saves over the weekend.

bread's done
Back