The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

I expect it to be very challenging to shoot people with the bow while riding the horse...without slowing down time. Should be fun, and doesn't look too clunky.

Bethesda is mentioning on Facebook that they have e-mailed 75% of the beta's, but after hundreds of comments, apparently less than 10 people on facebook have gotten in. Did ANYONE on here get theirs yet?

[quote name='myl0r']Bethesda is mentioning on Facebook that they have e-mailed 75% of the beta's, but after hundreds of comments, apparently less than 10 people on facebook have gotten in. Did ANYONE on here get theirs yet?[/QUOTE]

Article on Joystiq said that according to Bethesda, less than a half a percent of the people who signed up will get in.

[quote name='Sistros']Got accepted into the WoW: Mists of Pandaria beta, but not Dawnguard. :(

I don't even play WoW...[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Wonder what the requirements were...

mrx001, if you actually got in, would you mind telling us what you filled in for the questionnaire?

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Wonder what the requirements were...

mrx001, if you actually got in, would you mind telling us what you filled in for the questionnaire?[/QUOTE]

most likely they needed a random sampling of different characters, levels, completion level, etc.

If its 0.5% it must have been some weird grouping of guys. Everyone probably put 3 characters and over 150+ hours and weren't picked

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Wonder what the requirements were...

mrx001, if you actually got in, would you mind telling us what you filled in for the questionnaire?[/QUOTE]

I put in two characters and over 200 hours of play.One Argonian archer at level 56.The second character Brenton female focus on Magic at level 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get in either. After buying bf3 premium im actually going to probably wait for awhile before i buy dawnguard. Skyrim really has lost my interest lately.

Screw it. I didn't want to be in the stupid beta anyway. Getting some buggy ass game. That's probably the one that they let you keep for free. Bethesda can go to hell for all I care.

[quote name='matrix9280']Screw it. I didn't want to be in the stupid beta anyway. Getting some buggy ass game. That's probably the one that they let you keep for free. Bethesda can go to hell for all I care.[/QUOTE]

Woah, calm down dude. Just because you weren't part of the half percent that received invites doesn't make Bethesda evil.

Personally, I am still buying Dawnguard day one (Assuming it doesn't get slammed by critics). I am looking forward to getting back to Skyrim.

[quote name='matrix9280']Screw it. I didn't want to be in the stupid beta anyway. Getting some buggy ass game. That's probably the one that they let you keep for free. Bethesda can go to hell for all I care.[/QUOTE]

Lmao really?

[quote name='matrix9280']screw it. I didn't want to be in the stupid beta anyway. Getting some buggy ass game. That's probably the one that they let you keep for free. Bethesda can go to hell for all i care.[/quote]

lol

We are the 99.5%

wambulance.jpg

Anger issues much?

Stereotypical 13 year old with hormonal issues

How many people here would have signed up for the Dawnguard beta if they knew they had a 1 in 200 chance of being accepted? I wouldn't have.

[quote name='matrix9280']How many people here would have signed up for the Dawnguard beta if they knew they had a 1 in 200 chance of being accepted? I wouldn't have.[/QUOTE]

It literally took only 3 minutes to sign up. Stop whining about not getting in.

[quote name='MrPiggles']It literally took only 3 minutes to sign up. Stop whining about not getting in.[/QUOTE]

All right. I'm done for now. 1 in 200 huh? Maybe next time this comes around (like it's been reported) I test those odds.

[quote name='matrix9280']All right. I'm done for now. 1 in 200 huh? Maybe next time this comes around (like it's been reported) I test those odds.[/QUOTE]

Don't listen to these fools, keep ranting, I find it to be comedic gold.

You guys think this is ranting? You should read some of the posts on the official Bethesda forums. It's a whoooole lot of "butthurt."

[quote name='CaptNink']You guys think this is ranting? You should read some of the posts on the official Bethesda forums. It's a whoooole lot of "butthurt."[/QUOTE]

This is ranting on a small scale, but I couldn't take seeing 10 threads a day with 20 posts in each saying "why didn't they just test internally!?!?" or "why even try to get people to sign up when they won't even get it" or "I didn't get in the beta!11!eleven *rage*".

So I just picked this game up and it's my first entry into an Elder Scrolls game and I'm a little confused on how it works. For example, I am level six and I was on the mission to go talk to the ancients or whatever about being Dragonborn. On my way I ran into a ice troll that whooped my monkey ass. Is this normal to have enemies that you pretty much HAVE to run away from? I'm a Wood Elf focusing on archery and light armor right now. Anyone have any tips?

I was also in some dungeon for a quest and fought through all of the human enemies, but when I got to these pincher bug looking things it took pretty much everything I had to beat them.

Do I need to start randomly killing mobs or look for and complete more side quests? Thanks for tips.

First Rule: If you play it for the story, you're doing it wrong.
Second Rule: If you're playing it for the combat, you're even more wrong.
Third Rule: Manually Save Often
Fourth Rule: Bethesda has no QA Department

Everything else...that's why you play it.

[quote name='Nealocus123']So I just picked this game up and it's my first entry into an Elder Scrolls game and I'm a little confused on how it works. For example, I am level six and I was on the mission to go talk to the ancients or whatever about being Dragonborn. On my way I ran into a ice troll that whooped my monkey ass. Is this normal to have enemies that you pretty much HAVE to run away from? I'm a Wood Elf focusing on archery and light armor right now. Anyone have any tips?

I was also in some dungeon for a quest and fought through all of the human enemies, but when I got to these pincher bug looking things it took pretty much everything I had to beat them.

Do I need to start randomly killing mobs or look for and complete more side quests? Thanks for tips.[/QUOTE]
My advice for you? Forget the storyline for a bit, go off and wonder around the world for a while. Save often, fight enemies and learn from them(for instance, at level 6, you got stomped by a frost troll, so don't fight frost trolls for a bit). Build up a few levels and find some cool stuff. Do some side quests. By the time you remember there is a main storyline, you will probably be in the mid-teens level-wise.

Alright, did what you guys recommended and it's a much better experience. Still having difficulty with deciding what quests to actually do because some of them are such a far distance away and I'm not sure if I can make it. Also unsure on what enemies to fight but I guess I'll just have to trail & error that.

Best experience so far was I was in a small cave and I saw a shout scribbled on the far wall behind a big chest. I thought to myself "Oh shit, that was easy! I wonder what shout it is..." I continued to run to the chest and immediately fell through the ground into a huge cage with dead bodies. I guess there was some badass mage there trapping people and experiementing on them. I picked the expert lock (I was proud of myself) and killed him. Got a ton of awesome loot and a new shout!

Also, I was in another random dungeon and there was this woman who looked like a tree (very mother nature-y, green with wood like limbs & leaves growing on her) and when I freed her she didn't speak to me and just ran to the exit. Is that a actual race or just a random incident? She was super cool looking.

Lastly, can someone give me a super quick how to on enchanting? I'm working up my smithing and want to enchant the iron daggers...also, where the hell do I get enchantments? Thanks!

[quote name='Nealocus123']Alright, did what you guys recommended and it's a much better experience. Still having difficulty with deciding what quests to actually do because some of them are such a far distance away and I'm not sure if I can make it. Also unsure on what enemies to fight but I guess I'll just have to trail & error that.

Best experience so far was I was in a small cave and I saw a shout scribbled on the far wall behind a big chest. I thought to myself "Oh shit, that was easy! I wonder what shout it is..." I continued to run to the chest and immediately fell through the ground into a huge cage with dead bodies. I guess there was some badass mage there trapping people and experiementing on them. I picked the expert lock (I was proud of myself) and killed him. Got a ton of awesome loot and a new shout!

Also, I was in another random dungeon and there was this woman who looked like a tree (very mother nature-y, green with wood like limbs & leaves growing on her) and when I freed her she didn't speak to me and just ran to the exit. Is that a actual race or just a random incident? She was super cool looking.

Lastly, can someone give me a super quick how to on enchanting? I'm working up my smithing and want to enchant the iron daggers...also, where the hell do I get enchantments? Thanks![/QUOTE]

for enchanting you have to first find enhanted items then disenchant them at an enchantment station. Im pretty sure thats the only way to learn enchantments.

Give this a read: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Enchanting_(Skyrim)

You can also pay the carriage outside towns to take you to any of the 9 major towns in Skyrim, which I found made it easier to open up more areas of the map for fast traveling.

If you have a smartphone or IPad, IGN has a REALLY good wiki/guide app for $2.

[quote name='Nealocus123']So I just picked this game up and it's my first entry into an Elder Scrolls game and I'm a little confused on how it works. For example, I am level six and I was on the mission to go talk to the ancients or whatever about being Dragonborn. On my way I ran into a ice troll that whooped my monkey ass. Is this normal to have enemies that you pretty much HAVE to run away from? I'm a Wood Elf focusing on archery and light armor right now. Anyone have any tips?

Do I need to start randomly killing mobs or look for and complete more side quests? Thanks for tips.[/QUOTE]

You're definitely on the right path with archery. I suggest archery and stealth as your top skills. With those two, you're pretty much unstoppable. You can kill most enemies with one or two hits, all from a very safe distance.

Or you could just sword and board that shit in Heavy Armor. You never take damage or die, even from the strongest Dragons.

Or just turn the difficulty down since it doesn't affect achievements.

I hate the combat in Bethesda games, so I always just play on easy and enjoy the questing and exploration.

I need to get back to this, haven't played it in 3 weeks or so.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Alright, did what you guys recommended and it's a much better experience. Still having difficulty with deciding what quests to actually do because some of them are such a far distance away and I'm not sure if I can make it. Also unsure on what enemies to fight but I guess I'll just have to trail & error that.

Lastly, can someone give me a super quick how to on enchanting? I'm working up my smithing and want to enchant the iron daggers...also, where the hell do I get enchantments? Thanks![/QUOTE]
I never encountered an imprisoned Spriggan.

Enchanting
  • Buy or find soul gems (Empty soul gems cost less.)
  • Buy spell soul trap or a weapon enchanted with soul trap.(The Mage in Dragon reach sells the spell.)
  • Fight enemies,get their life bar real low and cast(or hit if you have the enchanted weapon)soul trap.**Bigger and stronger enemies require bigger souls gems.Stronger souls make for a better enchantment.**
  • You now have filled soul gem.
  • Got to an enchanting table and enchant.

You find enchantments on armor,jewelry and weapons .They have a colored shimmering glow to them.Just take them to an Enchanting table and Disinchant them.You can find them in chests and on enemies.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back