The Fabulous Freebirds' wrestling topic

Saucy Jack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
freebirdsoc5.jpg

Say hello to one of the greatest groups of all time, the Dixieland Delights... the Toasts of the Coasts... The Fabulous Freebirds!

♪I want to tell you a story
about a place you don't wanna be.
This ain't no home sweet home,
it's a home sweet misery.
We knew when we got here
they'd try to put us away.
But when they seen us walk down
the street they ran the other way.

Badstreet, Atlanta, GA
Baddest street in the whole USA
Badstreet nasty and hot
The further down the block you went, the badder it got♫

Download “Badstreet USA” at the following link. Many thanks to Scorch for the mp3!

http://rapidshare.de/files/33734256/WCW_-_The_Fabulous_Freebirds__Badstreet_USA_.mp3.html

The Fabulous Freebirds first started in 1979, consisting of a team of Michael "P.S." (Purely Sexy) Hayes, Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy,
and Buddy "Jack" Roberts. Three of the greatest heels to lace up boots and step into the ring, The Freebirds often came to the ring
to "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Later on, they would come to the ring to the classic ring anthem "Badstreet USA," sung by none
other than Michael Hayes. They were among the first to come to the ring with entrance music, with one of the few known to have
music before them being Gorgeous George.

The Freebirds were known for wearing the colors of the Confederate States of America and would even come to the ring sometimes
with Confederate facepaint and flags flying. They were best known for their long-time feud with the legendary Von Erich family in
World Class Championship Wrestling. Among the other promotions they wrestled for were NWA's Jim Crockett Promotions,
Georgia Championship Wrestling, the AWA, the Universal Wrestling Federation, WCW, and a short run with the World Wrestling
Federation.

During their NWA run, the Freebirds created the "Freebird Rule," under which their tag team belts could be defended by any two
members of their team. This rule is still used by many stables today, such as the Spirit Squad in the WWE.

The members of the Freebirds:

Michael P.S. Hayes - one of the greatest wrestlers to ever hold a microphone. While he was a great wrestler, the main thing that
drew you into his character was the promos he would cut. He'd make you hate him, make you believe that he was scared to death
(see his classic promos when he had to wrestle Bruiser Brody), and would captivate you with his charisma

Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy - the brute and the muscle behind the group. Also considered to be the most successful Freebird.
The combination of Gordy and Hayes seemed to be the most recognizable and loved combination of Freebirds.

Buddy "Jack" Roberts - given the nickname Jack because of his love of Jack Daniel's whiskey.

Jimmy Garvin - a member in WCW and a friend to the group in WCCW & AWA.

Badstreet - the masked member in WCW and the group's light heavyweight/cruiserweight. Originally appeared as "Fantasia", but WCW changed the name to Badstreet to avoid a legal confrontation with Disney.

Big Daddy Dink - Freebird alias of Sir Oliver Humperdink and "tour manager" in WCW, 1990-91.

Little Richard Marley - WCW Jobber Rocky King, who as "Little Richard Marley" served as a ringside pest to Freebird opponents in 1990.

Diamond Dallas Page - WCW manager in 1991.

Please visit Wikipedia, Obsessed with Wrestling, or other wrestling sources for more information on this classic group.

Michael Hayes today looks a lot like Dog the Bounty Hunter to me.

During their NWA run, the Freebirds created the "Freebird Rule," under which their tag team belts could be defended by any two
members of their team. This rule is still used by many stables today, such as the Spirit Squad in the WWE.

I am suprised that rule isn't used more often. I guess with the lack of stables it would be hard though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Michael Hayes today looks a lot like Dog the Bounty Hunter to me.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he kinda does. :lol:

Did anyone ever watch World Class? A friend of mine said it best:

You know that all of the wrestling is fake and predetermined, but people like Michael Hayes would suck you into it with their promos, and then they'd have an awesome match with the Von Erichs and you'd get your time and money's worth.

Very original, cool, deserving, just flat out good choice. I can see you have thinking of this one for a while now. I figured the next topic would have either been the Boogeyman or the Crocodile Hunter.

Let me also add that it's crucial to include their theme in the OP, and I'm glad to see Scorch came through (since he's touted having sixteen million themes, I can't say I'm surprised he had this).

There was a hillbilly punk band called Cocknoose that recorded a 7" record with two songs: Invader #1 Must Die (that's a trivia question for you: what wrestling-related incident is that song about?), and side 2 featured their cover of Badstreet USA. I'm going to have to dig that record out when I get home today.

[quote name='mykevermin']There was a hillbilly punk band called Cocknoose that recorded a 7" record with two songs: Invader #1 Must Die (that's a trivia question for you: what wrestling-related incident is that song about?)[/QUOTE]

Either Brody getting stabbed or Val Venis getting his pee-pee chopped off. It's all the same to me.

[quote name='ECW_fan']Very original, cool, deserving, just flat out good choice. I can see you have thinking of this one for a while now. I figured the next topic would have either been the Boogeyman or the Crocodile Hunter.[/quote]

I could understand the Boogeyman, but Crocodile Hunter is already dead, not almost dead like Saucy Jack.

I remember them in the World Class Championship Wrestling days.

I wish they would have feuded more with the Legion of Doom.Those were great fights.

[quote name='mykevermin']Helluva choice, SJ. Helluva choice.[/quote]

I'm in full agreement. One of the best topic subjects yet, Jack. Some of you might remember when Hayes cut a promo on Orton(?) earlier this year on Raw. That should be required viewing for all wrestlers on how to work the mic.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Either Brody getting stabbed...[/quote]

You only beat me to the answer because I was at work.;) I'd definitely like to see someone grill Carlos Colon about this in an interview.

I was overjoyed when they played a Demolition (Smash & Crush version) vs. Legion of Doom match on MSG Classics recently. Not just because I hadn't seen a 2 vs. 2 match between them until then (it was always Warrior & LoD vs. Ax/Smash/Crush whenever I caught it before). What ruled about the match is that Demolition kicked the SHIT out of them for almost the ENTIRE MATCH - including an (admittely sloppy, but still cool) TOPE by Smash onto Hawk who was on the outside. LoD won after a quick clotheline off the top into a pin, but it was the equivalent of one of those Hogan - Kidman matches where you know who the "real" winner is despite someone getting a fluke pin.

Nothing against LoD I liked them too, and obviously they had the broader and more remembered legacy, but Demolition is one of the most over-bashed teams ever thanks to internet revisionist history.

...this also ties into the OP, as the later incarnation of Demolition were one of the more prominent teams to use the Freebirds rule for defending their tag titles.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/ecw/news/newbreedofpunk

Interesting setup for a feud. It certainly fits into real life, but it ain't Raven vs. Punk. It's a nice change of pace, and I hope they try to convey this on TV. (Can't say I'd have ever expected to see a photo of Wattie Buchanan on WWE's website, either).

Now, they need to follow up on this both in on-camera storylines (catch them talking shit about the other guy, how so-and-so is a poseur for reason xyandz). More importantly, give that poor bastard Shannon Moore some offense. Otherwise, you're not going to have a feud if one of the guys gets annihilated in every match.

[quote name='mykevermin']Badstreet = Brad Armstrong.

Helluva choice, SJ. Helluva choice.[/QUOTE]

That's right. Brad Armstrong it was. Thanks, Myke. :)

[quote name='onetrackmind']excellent choice saucy![/QUOTE]

Thanks, OTM. :)

[quote name='ECW_fan']Very original, cool, deserving, just flat out good choice. I can see you have thinking of this one for a while now. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been wanting to see a Freebirds topic for a while. I always loved their work.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Awesome choice.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Shawn. :)

[quote name='mykevermin']Let me also add that it's crucial to include their theme in the OP, and I'm glad to see Scorch came through (since he's touted having sixteen million themes, I can't say I'm surprised he had this).

There was a hillbilly punk band called Cocknoose that recorded a 7" record with two songs: Invader #1 Must Die (that's a trivia question for you: what wrestling-related incident is that song about?), and side 2 featured their cover of Badstreet USA. I'm going to have to dig that record out when I get home today.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Scorch was really awesome. Thanks again, man, for uploading the theme for me. I couldn't get to my copy of it.

I remember when I was young that Badstreet would get some radio play, along with "Heaven Needed a Champion" (David Von Erich tribute song, anyone remember it?) since WCCW was so huge in Texas.

I'd love to hear that cover. I might have to track down that record on eBay or something.

I've always loved that Badstreet song. I remember Michael would come out to Freebird as a singles wrestler, and Terry would come out to Badstreet. I remember many a time hearing Badstreet blasting and Michael would climb the corner turnbuckles and start waving his flag and doing the Tomahawk Chop to the crowd. And of course, it'd take Kerry Von Erich several minutes to get to the ring, with all the women groping him and kissing him, and they'd have an awesome match.

[quote name='Bezerker']I could understand the Boogeyman, but Crocodile Hunter is already dead, not almost dead like Saucy Jack.[/QUOTE]

Cammy: Colonel, are you all right?

Guile: Fine. Just half dead.

Cammy: And Bison?

Guile: All dead.

:rofl:

[quote name='guyver2077']old school!!![/QUOTE]

Yes indeed! I need to dig out some of my old WCCW tapes from the storage closet one of these days.

[quote name='actionpotential']I remember them in the World Class Championship Wrestling days.

I wish they would have feuded more with the Legion of Doom.Those were great fights.[/QUOTE]

The Road Warriors were awesome in WCCW. That's one of the things I loved about WCCW, the entrance music. The Road Warriors would come out to "Iron Man" and the place would erupt. Same with the Von Erichs and "Tom Sawyer" or "La Grange" blasting through the speakers.

I wish ESPN would still show World Class at 3 in the monring like they used to frequently. Best thing was that the events were uncut and had original themes.

That's another question I was wondering about. How come the Pioneer ECW DVDs have all the original themes, and yet the WWE versions of those matches and events can't have it? And why can Ring of Honor have entrances with real theme music (such as Christopher Daniels coming out to "Disposable Teens" by Marilyn Manson), when they're just a small outfit?

Something as simple as entrance music is a big part of the whole experience. Basically, it's one of the things you identify a wrestler with, especially as a young kid.

[quote name='neocisco']I'm in full agreement. One of the best topic subjects yet, Jack. Some of you might remember when Hayes cut a promo on Orton(?) earlier this year on Raw. That should be required viewing for all wrestlers on how to work the mic.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I did mark out when Michael Hayes came out and cut that promo. If only we could see the Freebirds one more time...

I also marked out big time when Kevin Von Erich used the Iron Claw at WWE Homecoming.

[quote name='KaneRobot']
...this also ties into the OP, as the later incarnation of Demolition were one of the more prominent teams to use the Freebirds rule for defending their tag titles.[/QUOTE]

That's right. Now I remember that. Good times. :)

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/32300641

I'm The Boogeyman...and I'm comin' ta wash yer windows for spare change![/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Honestly though, who cares, what a stupid gimmick he had. Wasn't he supposed to go to ECW too?

I still don't get how Eugene can stay on board week after week.

[quote name='Roufuss']who cares[/QUOTE]

Well, I, for one, don't. I think it's kinda funny that it took the WWE that long to fire someone who was such a shitty fucking wrestler.

Consider it a news update, if nothing else. ;)

I was pretty new to the bussiness at an older age wasn't he. I thought he was the one kicked of the last tough enough because he lied about his age, and then they picked him up and threw him in the gimmick.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, I, for one, don't. I think it's kinda funny that it took the WWE that long to fire someone who was such a shitty fucking wrestler.

Consider it a news update, if nothing else. ;)[/QUOTE]

I never remember him wrestling. I remember spooky music, that staff with smoke coming out of it, the fact that Tazz or someone always said his smoke smelled like shit, his freaky stares, and that he ate worms.

I remember he had like... one move he always did. Oh yeah, Booker T was terrified of him too.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, I, for one, don't. I think it's kinda funny that it took the WWE that long to fire someone who was such a shitty fucking wrestler.

Consider it a news update, if nothing else. ;)[/quote]

I for one liked the Boogeyman. I wanted to see more of him. I thought they could of done a storyline where the Boogeyman posesses someone or something....

Too bad now...

I think I'm going to have to get in on that Hogan preorder deal.

Also don't forget the new Brian Pillman DVD comes out this Tuesday.
W00440pi.jpg

From 411Mania.com
-The Pillman DVD entitled "Loose Cannon" will include a 95-minute documentary on his career in football, Stampede Wrestling, WCW, Hollywood Blonds, Four Horseman, ECW, The Car Accident, The Hart Foundation and more.

The match list:

Bruce Hart & Brian Pillman vs. Midnight Cowboys 4/23/88 for International tag team titles

Pillman vs. Lex Luger 10/28/89 Halloween Havoc

Pillman & Tom Zenk vs. Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin 2/12/90

Pillman & Austin doing "A Flare for the Old" segment on WCW TV

War Games 1991 with Pillman & Sting & Steiners vs. Four Horsemen

Pillman vs. Ricky Morton 10/27/91

Pillman & El Gigante vs. Barry Windham & Arn Anderson 6/12/91 loser leaves town match (Leads to Yellow Dog angle)

Pillman & Windham vs. Johnny Gunn & Zenk 12/26/92

Pillman & Austin vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas 5/23/93

WCW Thundercage with Pillman & Sting & Dustin Rhodes vs. Paul Orndorff & Austin & Rick Rude

Pillman vs. Jushin Liger (First Nitro Match)

Pillman vs. Dean Malenko 1/22/96 Nitro

Pillman vs. Eddie Guerrero 1/23/96 Clash of Champions

Pillman vs. Austin 6/16/97 Raw

Calgary Stampede Hart Foundation vs. Austin & Shamrock & LOD & Goldust 7/6/97

Pillman vs. Goldust 9/7/97

Pillman vs. Liger 2/22/92 SuperBrawl from Milwaukee

o man.. i cant believe they released him.. shit they were startin to run his promos again....

im considering that hogan preorder... shipping is 5.95 comes out to 31.95

shopzone usually has great ppv bundles with tshirts for a good price....i was going to get the summerslam bundle but it wasnt all that great

[quote name='RawisJericho']
Pillman vs. Jushin Liger (First Nitro Match)

Pillman vs. Dean Malenko 1/22/96 Nitro

Pillman vs. Eddie Guerrero 1/23/96 Clash of Champions

Pillman vs. Liger 2/22/92 SuperBrawl from Milwaukee[/QUOTE]

:D

Pillman vs. any cruiserweight in WCW = gold!

Two matches with Liger on there! I only thought there would be one. Man, we're all in for a major treat. :)

Consider it a news update, if nothing else. ;)[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense... the guy was crazy over, so why was he released?

Ya know what? How about we just turn every guy on the goddam roster into a fake white rapper (even Booker T), Vince really seems to like that gimmick. :roll:

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']That makes a lot of sense... the guy was crazy over, so why was he released?

Ya know what? How about we just turn every guy on the goddam roster into a fake white rapper (even Booker T), Vince really seems to like that gimmick. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Who else uses that gimmick aside from Cena?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Who else uses that gimmick aside from Cena?[/quote]

No one, but what other "face" in WWE history has been boo'd as much as Cena and still been pushed relentlessly as a "face". Especially with such a crappy gimmick.

I like John Cena, I think he's actually rather talented, but I think the whole "Hustle. Loyalty. Respect." crap needs to go Straight.To.Hell. I'm not saying WWE should turn Cena heel, I'm just saying they could make him moderately less annoying if they want to continue the facade that he is the company's future and top face.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']No one[/QUOTE]

Offa' my head:

Bull Buchanan (BOO-YA!):
cenab2.jpg

PN News (WCW circa 1990, FWIW):
01.jpg

Grandmaster Sexay and Scotty Too Hotty:
15.jpg

Others?

EDIT: PN News *may* be of Latino descent, but he totally passes for white.

Boogeyman was over, but what the fuck can you do with him? The worms thing wouldn't carry him forever and he can't wrestle for shit.

I wonder if he'll still be in OVW?

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.wwe.com/shows/ecw/news/newbreedofpunk

Interesting setup for a feud.[/quote]
I agree, but sadly this is WWE and they would never do anything nearly as deep as that for a storyline, especially in a "B-level brand" like ECW. It would require giving the fans a bit of credit.

my personal fav's..

PG 13- J.c Ice and Wolfie D (fyi.. just found out that wolfie d went on to become slash from the new church in tna)

pg13JCicewolfieD.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']
Grandmaster Sexay and Scotty Too Hotty:
15.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I'd disagree on this one actually. They were more of a couple of white breakdancers gimmick with a touch of "urban lifestyle."

Since they are coming out with a Pillman set why didn't they include on the disk his fued with Austin in the WWE when Austin ran in his house and Pillman pulled a pistol on him. That had to be one of the craziest yet funny things that I have ever seen in the WWE.

RvB, I won't argue with you on that. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I forgot about PG-13. Wolfie D is the son of Superstar Bill Dundee (who was prominent in the AWA, but did nothing noteworthy since they went under, except serve as "Sir William," Lord Steven Regal's servant, in WCW. Nothing like thinking the American crowds are dumb enough to believe that a man with an Australian accent is british.

Anyway, PG-13 was in the WWF with the Nation of Domination, but I'll be damned if they ever had a single match, or were even given names on TV.

yea i loved pg-13.. their entrance theme ( house of pain) was the shit..

got to see them live on an ecw ppv.

they were big times in uswa and were involced in that whole uswa vs ecw angle

WWE.com has also learned that Vito has voluntarily surrendered his opportunity at King Booker's World Heavyweight Championship on Friday. Instead, the dress-wearing fan-favorite has passed the match on to the legendary Undertaker. What will happen when the Deadman makes a rare SmackDown appearance and enters King Booker's Royal SmackDown Kingdom at the huge CW premiere?

Funny how they scrapped vito out

[quote name='guyver2077']nie little pre order package for the hogan anthology

http://www.wweshop.com/product_detail.asp?CAT=TOPTEN&productId=50-01424

$25 plus ship

Is there a full match list going around or this a new feature made...im hopin theres wcw/nwo stuff[/QUOTE]

According to highspots. (This is the potential match listing for this special FOUR (4) DVD set. Final listing could change before release.)

DISC 1
NWA Southeastern Championship Wrestling, 5/5/79: Terry "The Hulk" Boulder vs. Andre the Giant (arm wrestling match)
WWE, 11/13/79: Hulk Hogan vs. Harry Valdez (WWE debut, Championship Wrestling)
WWE, 12/17/79: "The Incredible" Hulk Hogan vs. Ted DiBiase (Madison Square Garden debut)
WWE, 8/9/80: "The Incredible" Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant (Showdown At Shea)
AWA, 4/18/82: Nick Bockwinkel! vs. Hulk Hogan (AWA World Championship)
AWA, 4/24/83: Nick Bockwinkel vs. Hulk Hogan (AWA World Championship, Super Sunday)
NJPW, 6/2/83: Hulk Hogan vs. Antonio Inoki (IWGP Championship tournament finals)

DISC 2
WWE, 1/23/84: Iron Sheik vs. Hulk Hogan (WWE Championship)
WWE, 3/31/85: Hulk Hogan & Mr. T vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper & "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff (WrestleMania)
WWE, 4/7/86: Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy (steel cage match, WrestleMania 2)
WWE, 1/3/87: Hulk Hogan vs. "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff (steel cage match, Saturday Night's Main Event)
WWE, 3/29/87: Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant (WrestleMania III)
WWE, 8/29/88: The Mega-Powers vs. The Mega-Bucks (SummerSlam)
WWE, 4/2/89: "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Hulk Hogan (WWE Championship, WrestleMania V)
WWE, 4/1/90: Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior (Wre! stleMania VI)

DISC 3
WWE, 8/27/90: Hulk Hogan vs. Earthquake (SummerSlam)
WWE, 3/24/91: Sgt. Slaughter vs. Hulk Hogan (WWE Championship, WrestleMania VII)
WWE, 12/3/91: Undertaker vs. Hulk Hogan (WWE Championship, Tuesday In Texas)
WCW, 7/17/94: Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan (WCW Championship, Bash at the Beach)
WCW, 10/23/94: Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair (WCW Championship - steel cage retirement match, Halloween Havoc)
WCW, 9/15/96: Hollywood Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, & nWo Sting vs. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Lex Luger, & Sting ("War Games:The Match Beyond", Fall Brawl)
WCW, 12/29/97: Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting (WCW Championship - Starrcade)

DISC 4
WWE, 3/11/02: Hollywood Hogan, Scott Hall, & Kevin Nash vs. The Rock & Stone Cold Steve Austin (RAW)
WWE, 3/17/02: Hollywood Hogan vs. The Rock (WrestleMania X8)
WWE, 4/21/02: Triple H vs. Hulk Hogan (WWE Championship, Backlash)
WWE, 7/4/02: Billy & Chuck vs. Hulk Hogan & Edge (World Tag Team Championship, SmackDown!)
WWE, 3/30/03: Hulk Hogan vs. Mr. McMahon (streetfight, WrestleMania XIX)
WWE, 8/21/05: Hulk Hogan vs. Shawn Michaels (SummerSlam)

It's only $21 at DeepDiscountDVD

No Bash at the Beach 96 where the nWo was formed? That stinks.

I always told myself I would never buy a wrestling DVD, but this is mighty tempting.

bread's done
Back