The Fabulous Freebirds' wrestling topic

[quote name='2Fast']No Bash at the Beach 96 where the nWo was formed? That stinks.

I always told myself I would never buy a wrestling DVD, but this is mighty tempting.[/QUOTE]

I was more disappointed by the lack of inclusion of the fingerpoke of doom match and Bash at the Beach 2000 (?) (the one where Jarrett lays down). WWE loves to gloat about the mistakes of WCW and those two look like perfect opportunities to hate on WCW.

Also 2 nWo matches from WCW is fucking sad especially since the WWE era nWo has as many matches.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I was more disappointed by the lack of inclusion of the fingerpoke of doom match and Bash at the Beach 2000 (?) (the one where Jarrett lays down). WWE loves to gloat about the mistakes of WCW and those two look like perfect opportunities to hate on WCW.

Also 2 nWo matches from WCW is fucking sad especially since the WWE era nWo has as many matches.[/quote]
Yeah, that's true. For some reason I'm surprised they left off the Rodzilla/Malone and Rodzilla/Kevin Eubanks disasters. Hogan/Goldberg from Nitro (99?) is a surprising omission as well.

[quote name='mykevermin']Offa' my head:

Bull Buchanan (BOO-YA!):
cenab2.jpg

PN News (WCW circa 1990, FWIW):
01.jpg

Grandmaster Sexay and Scotty Too Hotty:
15.jpg

Others?

EDIT: PN News *may* be of Latino descent, but he totally passes for white.[/quote]

That PN News guy looks like Fat Joe.

And don't forget about Men on a Mission ,K-Kwick and A-Train as the Hip Hop Hippo:lol:

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']No one, but what other "face" in WWE history has been boo'd as much as Cena and still been pushed relentlessly as a "face". [/quote]

maivia03xz5.jpg

I still think the main reason Cena hasn't gone heel is because of the movie coming out. When Rock was starting to get into movies he was booed mercilessly. WWE wants Cena as a face even if it is only halfway for The Marine as much as anything. After The Marine hits, I think Cena will turn heel shortly thereafter. The whole problem with Cena is that he went from an anti-hero to more of a classic face. It's the little things, like his entrance at the top of the ramp. As a heel he'd come down mean muggin'. Now he is all happy-go-lucky and filled with WAY too much energy. He should been a lot more lowkey than that and in the long run the hip-hop part needs to be dropped. The backlash is as much against the bravado and egoism in hip-hop as much as against Cena himself. The reason Too Cool succeeded was because it was silly and against the hip-hop stereotypes of the time.

Also, I know one thing people like to criticize is his wrestling ablilty but let's face it, Hulk (punch, boot, leg drop), Flair (punch, chop, flop, figure 4), Mankind, Andre, Warrior, Steve Austin, HHH, Rock, Batista pretty much have the five moves of doom too. Except in Hulk's case its three.

And of course he's better as a heel. There are few people who aren't. It's more fun to play the bad guy and you can do a lot more with that role.

[quote name='motorkill']That PN News guy looks like Fat Joe.

And don't forget about Men on a Mission ,K-Kwick and A-Train as the Hip Hop Hippo:lol: [/QUOTE]

I was thinkin the same thing about the fat joe comment. I also remember Public Enemy. Rocco Roc and Johnny something

[quote name='massermind19']I was thinkin the same thing about the fat joe comment. I also remember Public Enemy. Rocco Roc and Johnny something[/QUOTE]
Grunge. They were never built as rappers though, just "Thugs" white thugs who broke tables. To this day I still never saw how they were over so much in ECW.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
Also, I know one thing people like to criticize is his wrestling ablilty but let's face it, Hulk (punch, boot, leg drop), Flair (punch, chop, flop, figure 4), Mankind, Andre, Warrior, Steve Austin, HHH, Rock, Batista pretty much have the five moves of doom too. Except in Hulk's case its three.[/QUOTE]

The difference between Cena and all of these people (well except Batista) is that they actually have charisma and/or a likable personality.

Nothing about Cena makes me like him. He doesn't have a notable gimmick now, he can't really wrestle and he can't cut a babyface promo to save his life.

Not only that but those people listed actually have a decent offence. Most of Cena's matches involve him getting his ass kicked for 4 minutes and then busting the 5 moves of doom out of nowhere.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I was so hoping for the Hogan vs Bossman Cage Match to be included on the dvd[/QUOTE]
The superplex off the top is still an amazing spot to this day.

Although the list says it is not final, the Wrestlemaina 9 transitional match with Yokozuna should be there too.

[quote name='Sporadic']The difference between Cena and all of these people (well except Batista) is that they actually have charisma and/or a likable personality.

Nothing about Cena makes me like him. He doesn't have a notable gimmick now, he can't really wrestle and he can't cut a babyface promo to save his life.

Not only that but those people listed actually have a decent offence. Most of Cena's matches involve him getting his ass kicked for 4 minutes and then busting the 5 moves of doom out of nowhere.[/quote]

That's just it though, a lot of people do like Cena or liked him in the past. For all the mixed boos and cheers he has gotten he still hasn't gotten "X-Pac" heat yet. I agree with the comment you made about his gimmick. Cena has charisma (more as a heel) but I get the feeling that WWE had no idea Cena would be as popular or polarizing with his rap gimmick and they just don't know how to run with it anymore. Musical gimmicks in general have a short shelf life unless your name is The Honky Tonk Man. The really should drop the hip-hop aspect and just have Cena cut those insulting promos like he used to. It isn't like he'll be able to use that gimmick into his 50's anyway.

[quote name='2Fast']No Bash at the Beach 96 where the nWo was formed? That stinks. [/quote]
Yeah, that is weird. It's also missing the Sting vs. Hogan rematch from Superbrawl VIII. I thought that one was better than their match at Starcade. I love the fact that I got a email promoting this and they included in the email at the bottom that Terry Bollea owns the Hulk Hogan name. You know Vince is probably busted a nut not getting the rights to that name.

As for Boogeyman, well, at least he was around long enough to be included in Smackdown vs. Raw 2007.

Just got around to watching ECW, my god that was a horrible show. And judging from the poor ratings it got, it seems a lot of people would agree. One thing they honestly need to do is stop bringing Raw or Smackdown guys on in the main event, just keep it with ECW wrestlers. Do the seperate brands mean anything lately?

Looks like TNA's big suprise for this Sunday may be this.
PWInsider.com has confirmed Vince Russo will be returning on a creative level to TNA. Where that leaves the rest of the creative team at this point is undetermined. A number of TNA personalities were informed this morning about the decision. I believe an official announcement to the crew will take place prior to the No Surrender PPV. There is already frustration among several in the company fearing morale is going to crash with Russo's re-emergence as his track record has always been to put everything else before wrestling creatively and the company's calling card in it's best days has been it's in-ring performances.

Even if that's true, I'd be loathe to think that would warrant a press release from TNA and Dixie Carter. I hope they have something big up their sleeves, and that the announcement ECW_Fan posted is just something supplementary to that.

Really, that announcement makes sense...if you're Jeff Jarrett. Just like those girls that hang around fat chicks so they can look skinny by comparison, bringing this sack of fuck back into the fold is such a blatantly dunderheaded idea, that maybe people will pay less attention to the fact that mathbook word problems are more fun than anything involving Jeff Jarrett.

what kinda angles do you think he'll do now that he's found little baby Jebus, like HBK?

Really, this move by TNA will change very little (since we know that Jarrett and Russo are the best of pallie-wallies. It's like telling me that Bill O'Reilly's being replaced by Rush Limbaugh at 8PM on Fox.

Russo is about the worst thing I could think of for TNA. Putting him, Borash, and Mantel with Jarrett is bad news.

What's worse is they took the two most competent guys OFF the booking committee (D'Amore and Tenay).

Alas.

Spoiler tags for something that doesn't involve ON CAMERA?

Seriously? The announcement will be on TV, but he's there for CREATIVE, not for TV viewing.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Spoiler tags for something that doesn't involve ON CAMERA?

Seriously? The announcement will be on TV, but he's there for CREATIVE, not for TV viewing.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't matter what it is, I put it in spoiler becasue there are people who frequent here that like to be suprised still. YES it does involve "ON CAMERA" TNA anounced that at the next PPV there would be a big suprise and that happens to be it atleast for the time being.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']TNA is looking more like WCW everyday...[/QUOTE] As long as they keep going to the past they always will. Every show should highlight the X divison stay will the young talent and make the older guy do the jobbing and take the fucking belt off of Jarrett and keep him out of the title race.

[quote name='ECW_fan']It doesn't matter what it is, I put it in spoiler becasue there are people who frequent here that like to be suprised still. YES it does involve "ON CAMERA" TNA anounced that at the next PPV there would be a big suprise and that happens to be it atleast for the time being.[/QUOTE]

An announcement and a 20 minute promo are two totally different things. Either way, TNA is highly insane if they think this is any kind of interesting announcement.

Fixed it for the people who don't like reading.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']TNA is highly insane[/QUOTE]

51.jpg

Exhibit A. The prosecution rests.

EDIT: Thanks for the tags. guyver and Scorch are two that don't care for spoilers so much. There may be others, but I respect what they want anyway.

man russo always makes wrestling entertaining...i dont understand why you people dont like him..

glad to see billy and chuck vs edge and hogan made it ont he dvd. more nwo would have been nice.

[quote name='guyver2077']man russo always makes wrestling entertaining...i dont understand why you people dont like him..

glad to see billy and chuck vs edge and hogan made it ont he dvd. more nwo would have been nice.[/QUOTE]

Mae Young's hand
Sports Entertainment Xtreme
WCW World Champion Vince Russo in the Popemobile
WCW World Champion Jeff Jarrett
WCW World Champion DAVID fuckING ARQUETTE
He probably booked the "Kennel in a Cell" match, too.

Other examples?

[quote name='guyver2077']man russo always makes wrestling entertaining...i dont understand why you people dont like him..

glad to see billy and chuck vs edge and hogan made it ont he dvd. more nwo would have been nice.[/QUOTE]
He has done good things for the WWE .... I just forgot what they are.

Seriously that stuff was so long ago and after he left for WCW it really showed that the stuff he was taking credit for, didn't seem to look like he had anything to do with it.
[quote name='mykevermin']Mae Young's hand[/QUOTE]
That was Gerwitz or what ever his name is the guy who still writes for the WWE.

NEW BLOOD!!

You forget that wcw became exciting again until the idiots got rid of him..

Booker fucking T's title reign!

heck he called hogan a piece of shit on ppv!!! i will never forget that night! mad props to the man

[quote name='guyver2077']heck he called hogan a piece of shit on ppv!!! i will never forget that night! mad props to the man[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that was a work.

sources: Pro Wrestling Torch, Wrestling Observer, PWInsider.com

As it turns out, the addition of Vince Russo to the TNA creative team is not the big announcement TNA has planned for this Sunday's TNA PPV. The announcement they have in store for Sunday "will be big" according to people in the know, and that it won't be a letdown.

Also, Spike TV and TNA are closing in on a new deal for an "upgrade" in regards to television programming. It would have to be either a new timeslot or a longer show. The Wrestling Observer is reporting that the deal will be for a better time slot. We'll have to see on Sunday if the announcement is in regards to a TV deal.

In regards to Vince Russo, he plans on dramatically overhauling the feel of the storyline direction in TNA. Some major changes on the creative front are in store.

I'm thinkin it to be the two hour show that they've been pushing for. But who knows?

WWE SIGNS ANOTHER FORMER ECW AND WCW STAR TO RETURN
by Mike Johnson @ 5:35:00 PM on 9/21/2006

World Wrestling Entertainment has signed former ECW, WCW, and WWF star 2 Cold Scorpio to a three year deal, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

The former ECW World Television and Tag Team champion had a tryout match a few weeks back in a dark match against Rene Dupree. King Booker had been pushing for Scorpio to be picked up by the company.

There's no word yet as to what brand Scorpio will be assigned to yet. In recent years, Scorpio had been a regular for Pro Wrestling NOAH in Japan and was living out of Germany. I believe he is in the process (or just completed) moving to Florida, Scorpio had been working for a number of independent companies over the past summer, including IWA Mid-South and Pro Wrestling Unplugged.

Hopefully they will dump him on ECW

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Spoiler tags for something that doesn't involve ON CAMERA?

Seriously? The announcement will be on TV, but he's there for CREATIVE, not for TV viewing.[/quote]

If you honestly don't think that the spoiler in question will make an appearance on TV... geez... I don't know what to say to you man#-o

Oh and Myke, I said that there was "no one" in regards to the number of other wrestlers that currently use the white rapper gimmick (which is why K-Kwik doesn't count, whoever posted that) not used, I know there's got to be tons of those! I have an idea for what to do with Cena, but... I'll post it later.

Either way the point here is, why the hell did WWE release the Boogeyman? Steroids? Attitude? Pathological liar? He was hella over, so why pull the plug on that?

[quote name='guyver2077']NEW BLOOD!!

You forget that wcw became exciting again until the idiots got rid of him..

Booker fucking T's title reign!

heck he called hogan a piece of shit on ppv!!! i will never forget that night! mad props to the man[/quote]

Guyver, I've always enjoyed the enthusiasm you bring to the wrestling topics, but Jesus Christ, the man made David Arquette the WCW champion, he's a fucking moron.

The main reason I'll never forgive Russo, is #1 for soiling the WCW belt with the Arquette title reign, and #2 for what he and Ed Ferrera did to mock JR with that assinine "Oklahoma" gimmick, I really would love to watch Ed Ferrera get beaten to death by Jim Ross via a lead pipe.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']IEither way the point here is, why the hell did WWE release the Boogeyman? Steroids? Attitude? Pathological liar? He was hella over, so why pull the plug on that?[/QUOTE]

The rumormill says because he wasn't staying in shape (amazing, given how good he looked for his age), and wasn't attending classes/learning to wrestle better.

Ironic that he got fired for not learning how to wrestle, seeing as how he had his career handed to him on a silver platter and he was put on TV despite not knowing how to wrestle. A bit counterproductive, methinks.

I'd like to hear your ideas on Cena; he's not going anywhere anytime soon, so if you have any ideas I'm all ears.

...... wow.

That has to be the single BEST (non Raven) backstage interview I have seen in TNA... ever.

... and that my friends is proof why Joe should be champ.

[quote name='2Fast']Could someone please explain to me why the spear is such a "devastating" move.[/QUOTE]

Because..... because..... because...........

.... I'll get back to you one of these days on that.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Well.... TNA just hired a new booker.... I won't say the name but this picture below should be more than enough.........

Russo.jpg
[/quote]
Yup, this has been in the works for a few months now.

Demo, you could have at least found a better picture.:)

[quote name='Demolition Man']Well.... TNA just hired a new booker.... I won't say the name but this picture below should be more than enough.........

Russo.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Holy shit! The guy who sells hot dogs down on the corner?!?!? I never knew he was in wrestling.

[quote name='2Fast']Could someone please explain to me why the spear is such a "devastating" move.[/QUOTE]

A friend told me that Rhino once said the following in an interview. I'm not sure whether Rhino was joking or not (and you'll know why), but he supposedly said:

"Only fags use the spear as their finishing move."

Anyone know if he really said that, and if so, if he was joking or referring to another certain wrestler?

[quote name='mykevermin']The rumormill says because he wasn't staying in shape (amazing, given how good he looked for his age), and wasn't attending classes/learning to wrestle better.

Ironic that he got fired for not learning how to wrestle, seeing as how he had his career handed to him on a silver platter and he was put on TV despite not knowing how to wrestle. A bit counterproductive, methinks.

I'd like to hear your ideas on Cena; he's not going anywhere anytime soon, so if you have any ideas I'm all ears.[/quote]

Ah, well, that's odd... the guy had crazy charisma, he could've been another Ultimate Warrior type :roll: Anyway, what a fool if those rumors are true. I thought his whole gimmick (as silly as it was) was one of the more entertaining things on SD at this point. Sure the worms were getting redundant, but he was a random guy, and WWE needs that now. I'm all for bringing Goldust back. Not putting him in King Booker's court as the jester was a huge mistake.

Now, on to Mr. Cena. What to do with him indeed. Well first things first, we let this DX - McMahon nonsense finish up. I don't know how or what it will take, but I somehow doubt that there'll be no reprecussions for shoving Vince's face into the Big Show's bare ass :puke:

For the next Raw ppv, Taboo Tuesday, I propose we let the fans vote on Cena's opponent. None of this triple threat match crap either. I know WWE will probably give us Cena vs Edge vs someone else, to try and spice things up. Well, quite frankly I'm sick of Cena & Edge, it was a feud I never wanted to see from the start, yet here we are 9 months later (add in a break for HHH vs Cena at Mania) and they're still fighting. That worked for Hogan & Sting, that worked for Rock & Austin, that worked for Hogan & Macho Man, but neither Cena, nor Edge is in that class.

So, let's start fresh, let's put maybe as many as 10 guys on a list, 10 guys from ECW, SD, & Raw and have the fans vote who they want to see face Cena. We'll put Edge, HHH, HBK, Orton, RVD, Big Show, Batista, Booker T, Lashley, and say... Jeff Hardy, he's pretty popular still on this list. That right there is pretty much the top guys left (minus Taker who only wrestles when he feels like it) in the WWE. You let the fans vote, you find out who it is they really want to see facing Cena. Since Vince is so damned obsessed with Cena and all.

I don't care if Booker T wins that poll, you have a champ vs champ match if that's what gets the fans interested again.

Then get this, we don't make it a gimmick match :shock: is it just me or are 90% of Cena's matches gimmick matches, just to help the lack of crowd interest?

Cena wins the match, finishes that lame ass feud with Edge. Now the key here is you have the person who won that vote, win the Royal Rumble and face Cena again at WM. This seems so simple to me, because who better to face Cena at the biggest show of the year, than the guy the fans (and I believe wrestling was at one time about the fans) voted to face him at their "controlled" ppv.

Now let's say that the H's wins this poll, this works two fold, because now you can easily turn Cena heel by having Mr. McMahon align with him. This can be accomplished by having Vince take some time off to re-coop from the DX nonsense, and because he is getting very stale out there lately. Then you have him come back and say that he'll make sure Cena retains his belt at Wrestlemania, to stop the H's. Of course, Cena is reluctant, tells Vince he doesn't want his help, threatens him with violence, maybe even roughs him up a bit.

Then shortly before Wrestlemania, wham swerve, Cena IS in cahoots with Vince. I think this works, because you expect that swerve to come AT Wrestlemania, not right before it. Now you buy the ppv to see what the hell HHH is going to do to even the score. I on the other hand, will be at that PPV, pissed off because I'm watching HHH vs Edge instead, while Cena faces someone predictable like Orton.

God I love ranting.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Now come on Saucy.... we want to know how you REALLY feel about the return of Vince Russo..... ;)[/QUOTE]

If Vince Russo drags TNA down, I'll send Jesus back to earth to kick his ass! Simple as that. :lol:

[quote name='Saucy Jack']If Vince Russo drags TNA down, I'll send Jesus back to earth to kick his ass! Simple as that. :lol:[/quote]

:rofl:

Vince Russo looks like a disheveled version of the OxyClean guy.

billyoxyclean2zs9.jpg

bread's done
Back